PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Private Servers and SysAdmin support

markTHEblake
29th March 2012, 11:40 PM
Wondering if any of you blokes are using a VPS and/or server support services that you might recommend?

At the moment getting a bit jack of the shared hosting service we use for our e-commerce site, and we need a bit more control than we get (like root access). There is a myriad of options out there and glossy websites offering these services look schmicko but who really knows how many VPS clients they have on one machine and whether they oversell resources or not, and who really knows if their managed VPS support is really as good as they say.

I also have the issue that whilst I am the all encompassing IT bloke at my office it really only is about 20% of my work time, and I am struggling with maintaining servers and helping newbs "my document doesn't print"), because I really do not know what I am doing. Well I can type SUDO and google for fixes but I am really getting pissed off right now with a LAMP I am trying to set up on a new IBM server, then there is set up a VPN, a new intranet and then a new webserver...... I would much rather get on with more interesting stuff like hang out at university cafes and talk to girls. I have seen some support services that can provide 24/7 support for anything they can do remotely, which seems interesting. I know a few people who already do this kind of thing but they are one man shows, and they get kinda slack with response times when the surf is good. Thoughts?

live4golf
30th March 2012, 12:03 AM
Check out InfraServe, they should be able to do what you need. They are located on the Central Coast just near where I live (no, I do not work for them so your secrets are safe) :)...but they do a pretty good job and have a good support structure too.

Amazon are fairly big players, obviously, but they do a great job. Only issue is they ar not in Oz yet. They will be at the new Equinix site in Alexandria, Sydney very soon though so even though it is in 'The Cloud', it is nice to know it is fairly close.

live4golf
30th March 2012, 12:07 AM
ohh bugger, nearly forgot a couple of others. Interactive are excellent and would actually be my #1 choice. They are very big players in the Aussie market now and do a lot of managed services...I am sure they do VPS as well. Somerville is someone else you might want to check out.

virge666
30th March 2012, 08:55 AM
UltimaHosts for mine. I have about 7 servers with them and they are excellent especially with 24 hr support.

Stupidly cheap too...