PDA

View Full Version : The ongoing changes to City Golf Club!!

goughy
10th September 2005, 10:26 AM
Well, yesterday jaster and I had a look at the proposed layout for our club which is on display in the clubhouse. The work is being done by Ross Watson. Much has been done, with plenty still to go. I'd say most of the back nine is done with some changes to bunkering on the 17th still to occur.

But for those that know the course (like vegas etc) the front nine changes are going to be pretty dramatic, and make the course much more challenging. It is currently a par 71 with an acr of 71, but honestly if it currently rates it's par then after the changes I can't see how it would be anything less than 1 or 2 shots over it's par when complete. For those of you that know the Toowoomba 'Middle Ridge' golf club then when complete City will be about 300mtrs longer from the tips. Woo Hoo. They are adding about 400mtrs to the front nine alone.

The breakdown for the front nine will be something like,
1st currently 314 par 4 to a 460mtrs par 5 over the creek.
2nd currently 170mtr par 3 to a 370mtr par 4
3rd currently 350mtr par 4 to a 335mtr par 4
4th currently 309mtr par 4 to a 190mtr par 3
5th was 320mtr par 4, now a 355mtr par 4
6th remains a 345mtr par 4
7th currently 320mtr par 4 to a 350mtr par 4
8th currently 135mtr par 3 to a 130ish mtr par 3 (no longer over creek)
9th currently 360mtr par 4 to 380mtr par 4

Courses par will be 72 and about 6200mtrs.

Bring it on baby!!!!!!

They have also added a green off to the side of the par 5 17th. When doing work on the course rather than bring a temp green into play, they can convert the 17th to a par 4 and par 3. What a great idea, and will stop many members complaining about the temp greens.

jaster
10th September 2005, 12:38 PM
I will backup everything that goughy has said, looks like it will be a much harder test than it currently is...I am scared :shock: :lol:

peter_rs
13th September 2005, 07:52 AM
bring on the much needed changes-

The only one I didn't pick and don't like is the 8th. The creek adds that little bit, and I loved that green.

goughy
29th April 2006, 05:16 PM
Back for a revision. New work has recently commenced again in the last week or so. I think some of the above changes have been changed (what grammar). At one stage the 1st green, 2nd tee, 3rd green, 4th tee, 8th green and 9th tee were in close proximity to eachother. I think this may have changed (g69 could add to this).

Currently the new 3rd green, 4th tees and 9th tees are being worked on. Bunkering is also being added to several holes.

The 3rd is changing to a straight away hole, from a dogleg right. I think some distance has been added as well. Also fairway bunkers have been added on the left, at about 150 and 100mtrs to the green. Because of the creek this hole is normally a 2iron (or 3wood into a heavy wind) for me, so that bunkering is gonna catch a few. I also think the right side of the fairway at these distances has been smoothed out a bit and maybe a couple of trees removed??? I wonder if the power pole that's 10 to 15mtrs dead infront of the green is gonna be removed??????????

New tees are being built for the 4th to make it a par 3. And a heck of a 3 it will be. The tees seem to be on the right edge of the current fairway which will really bring the right bunkering into play big time. The green has 3 distinct putting zones on it and it won't be an easy putt if you're on the wrong one.

The 5th, recently extended with a new green, is getting some fairway bunkering down the righthand side.

The 9th tee is being moved back about 20mtrs I think. But I can't see where exactly, as I don't think the new ones have started yet. But I think they will go straight back as the hole already doglegs at 150mtrs from the green. Fairway bunkers are appearing on the left, about 150+mtrs from the green. There is also another bunker on the left about 10 or 15mtrs short of the green.

The 13th is getting fairway bunkers, one on the left at 150mtrs from the green and one on the right about 20 or so metres further down. Will make it an interesting drive. Take 3 wood and risk the shorter bunker on left, take driver and risk the further one on the right.

During the last renovations they added a green to the left of the 17th fairway. Currently our 3rd hole is out of play, but instead of using a temp green, they have now converted the 17th into a 300mtr dogleg par 3, and then a par 3 up to the normal 17th green (which scores on the card as the 3rd hole). It's an interesting idea and was used recently when the 1st hole was re-grassed. All the old guys can't complain about having to putt on temp greens now can they.

But for a little while city gc wouldn't be the place for a golfing trip. Temp tee's on the 4th, 9th. The long par 5 split in too, and gur bunkering around the place. I made a post a few weeks ago about having a game up at city, but I will postpone that. Unless we play at Middle Ridge instead.

I don't know how long these sort of changes take to be in play, but I'm guessing they will want them up for the pro-am in sept. That's what happened last time.

Anyway, that's my update.

goughy
29th April 2006, 05:17 PM
bring on the much needed changes-

The only one I didn't pick and don't like is the 8th. The creek adds that little bit, and I loved that green.

I don't know if the 8th will change now. I don't see the necessity for re-routing it now.

AndyP
29th April 2006, 06:18 PM
....they have now converted the 17th into a 300mtr dogleg par 3...
WTF?

Have all these changes been made to stop Jaster from carving the place up?

Sounds like at least one trip is required to Toowoomba this year (I've been at least twice the last couple of years).
The pro-am sounds like the right time....give us plenty of notice, goughy.

Andrew
29th April 2006, 07:14 PM
the removal of trees caused a stir.

Doesn't that just get on your goat.
Every committee loves their trees.
Every committee is stupid.

Moe Norman
29th April 2006, 07:57 PM
rich,

mark the trees you want out and I'll head up there with my syringe and sump oil. They'll never know.

stupid f#cking commitees and their trees. It's not a national park, its a bloody golf course!

PeteyD
29th April 2006, 08:04 PM
Sounds like it is going to be unrecognisable from the course I played some years ago (last time when the flash clubhouse was being built, and I think a new green for the 18th if my fuzzy brain is remembering correctly).

Andrew
29th April 2006, 08:48 PM
Andrew..you got no idea with these blokes. Very very protective of their trees. I measure some fairways are under 20m wide under the canopy but when i suggest trees must go I am close to getting lynched.

Sorry Rich..old jack planted that in a working bee in 1945...you cant take it out.

Offer to build a memorial, near the clubhouse, to all the various members that need to be honoured. Each honoured member will have their name engraved on a plague & in the middle of the ornamental garden plant what will one day be a significant tree growing forever in their honour, as they live on in our memory forever.

Or some crap like that.

Is Ross able to turn it on nice & thick ?

goughy
29th April 2006, 09:45 PM
Andyp, the 17th is a temp option. Basically it will play as the par 5. But if they have to take a hole or green out of play (as is the case with the 3rd) they split it in two and don't have to use any temp greens. I think it's a great idea. Something different anyway.

Peteyd, would be worth a trip around the time of the pro-am. By that time changes will have been made to the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 9th and 13th holes since you were last there.

g69, do you consider many of the fairways narrow at city then?? Especially considering that the lie of the land forces the ball to one side of many fairways as well. Maybe that explains my poor driving record there?? (b**ls**t)

AndyP
29th April 2006, 10:04 PM
Andyp, the 17th is a temp option. Basically it will play as the par 5. But if they have to take a hole or green out of play (as is the case with the 3rd) they split it in two and don't have to use any temp greens. I think it's a great idea. Something different anyway.
My comment was on the 300m par 3. Typistical error surely?

goughy
29th April 2006, 11:30 PM
Now I see what you mean. Should read as a par 4. I won't edit it cause then no one will know what you mean and will just think you're crazy.

goughy
30th April 2006, 07:52 AM
I don't car about all the oldies. I need 50mtrs wide at least.

AndyP
5th May 2006, 08:56 AM
http://ozgolf.net/gallery/v/golfer69/?g2_GALLERYSID=88d50738481f8c5531794e1347f0786b

Get rid of the trees.

Jarro
5th May 2006, 08:59 AM
so the third hole now goes dead straight.

Any pic's of some of the other holes that are being worked on ??

Moe Norman
5th May 2006, 09:03 AM
trees would be fine if you didn't build a bunker behind them....

Jarro
5th May 2006, 09:33 AM
those bunkers on the right of 5 will make the tee shot a lot more daunting.

Have you made any extra landing area on the left side of that fairway ? There's also a big tree on the left there too ... will that stay ?

Moe Norman
5th May 2006, 09:59 AM
oh, is that the green in the distance behind the power pole??

if so, take the roundup and a drill up there tomorrow immediately, the trees MUST go.

I assumed it was bending to the right when i saw the power pole there!

Jarro
5th May 2006, 10:12 AM
Big tree stays.
No more room to the left..you'd just be blocked out by the big tree. Just don't hit it in the trap.

well, i'm not worried 'cos i could lfy it over that trap ;)

it's you i'm worried about, with that gay fade of yours ... add to the fact the fairway slopes left to right ... it's gonna catch a lot of tee shots that bunker

Jarro
5th May 2006, 10:29 AM
true.

sounds like the old course will be great when it's all finished.

Jarro
5th May 2006, 10:34 AM
what are some of the more major changes that will be made ?

are you doing anything to the 18th ??

Jarro
5th May 2006, 11:29 AM
cool. thanks for that.

AndyP
5th May 2006, 12:04 PM
Interesting reading. Hopefully when it's all finished, I can walk away from the place after a round and be able to remember each of the individual par fours, unlike now.

PeteyD
5th May 2006, 01:09 PM
Nice reading. Certainly some significant changes there. Gotta love poker machine casholla!

goughy
5th May 2006, 04:59 PM
Why they want to keep 2 ugly almost dead trees is beyond me. Oh well.

Five is a really tight drive. You don't have to go far left to have that big tree in the way. In the old days you could try and hit a high wedge over it to the green, but with the extra 30mtrs you don't have a hope going over it and reaching the green. Luckily I don't mind fairway traps at the moment, especially after the 2nd at pacific.

goughy
5th May 2006, 05:05 PM
7 looks like it is going to be a prick. Do you think they'll let you move 8?

I've been meaning to ask you if 3 was longer - it seemed it. But the course layout showed that. It is going to be a vastly different front 9 in time. And very tight off the tee. Not a lot of large landing zones.

PeteyD
5th May 2006, 05:08 PM
The course certainly looks like it will be more challanging. It will be very interesting to see once it is done.

goughy
5th May 2006, 06:42 PM
It almost looks like 7 will end up a double dog leg par 4 if they don't let ya's do your work.

A lot of people do like the 8th. The signiture par 3 of the course.

No. 9 will just about have to be the hardest hole on the course with the changes.

goughy
5th May 2006, 07:24 PM
I gave up all hope last monday at pacific. Now I just want to clear the creek.

BrisVegas
18th September 2006, 07:33 AM
Got to see the latest round of changes at City yesterday. I reckon they're great.

#3 - looks fantastic from the tee box now that you can see the green in the distance and there are fairway bunkers to make you think about the tee shot. Of course I blocked my drive down the treeline, ricocheted my second off a tree into the piss and made double. but still.... Great hole. Can't wait to play it as intended!

#4 - strong par 3. It was around 180 yesterday and I hit 4 iron just off the back. Nice big green and plenty of bunkering to frame it. It seems a little odd to have so much "fairway" on a par 3. Be cool if they could elevate the tee another few feet to give a better view of the green. The fairway could be converted to bark/gardens to spruce it up a bit.

#5 - Love this hole now. The green is fantastic and so much more receptive than the old hole. Man that was a bad green before! Goughy was trying to tell me that the tree on the left edge of hte fairway is more punishing now than before, but I can't see hot that's possible. The green's been shifted right and back making it a great little dogleg. I made an U&D par here from short right which I was stoked about!

#9 - The new tee box 20 metres further back makes this a brute of a hole. It really makes the hole seem narrow now. the fairway bunker on the inside corner really forces you to play the shape of the fairway. I've alway just bombed it over the corner on this hole and had a short iron in. I hit my best drive of the day there yesterday and was still 130m out. Good strong hole now and the 10th tee is a much safer place to be for the changes.

Love your work golfer69. Can't wait to see what's next.

Stoney
18th September 2006, 10:17 AM
The work on the course is great, i really enjoyed the changes and it was in great nick.

The par of 33-37 is a little odd though.

goughy
18th September 2006, 04:59 PM
One of our pro's thought it was a shame to be reducing the par to 70. But as I explained the changes over the years and he did agree that a tougher par 70 (much tougher I think, but I love it) was better than a beat over 72.

Grunt
18th September 2006, 06:02 PM
That par 70 versus par 72 is a bugger to overcome.
Many blokes thinks its not a real course unless its par 72...which is of course absolute crap.

G69, I know what you are saying, so imagine a course that should be par 69 but due to the fact that it can't be a good course if it parred less than 70. There is an easy par 5 that should be a difficult par 4. The owner will not let it happen.

Andrew
18th September 2006, 06:18 PM
That par 70 versus par 72 is a bugger to overcome.
Many blokes thinks its not a real course unless its par 72...which is of course absolute crap.

One of my all time favourite courses is a par 69.

Par has truely corrupted golf. Stick to your guns & make par what YOU think it should be. Remember, you are the one hired as the expert.

BTW, take that damn tree out. I have never seen the hole or the course, & have never seen your designs or plans for the course, but still I know that tree should be taken out.

goughy
18th September 2006, 06:41 PM
I'm wondering what g69 thinks will happen to the acr at city gc. In the last year at least 70mtrs has been added to 3 par 4's, and one of the easiest holes on the course is now a 180mtr par 3 into a well bunkered and tiered green. Some strategic bunkering on several holes and she's playing a different course.

Yes, the winning pro's shot 64, but it was really ideal conditions yesterday.

goughy
18th September 2006, 07:22 PM
;) :)