PDA

View Full Version : What are your Classic's?

terryand
8th September 2005, 04:51 PM
What are your classic or favourite songs?

I know this topic has been covered before, but I thought we might expand on it a bit. What are your classic songs?

Like all time classic or favourite, recent and Aussie favourites.
Say favourites from before 1990, after 1990.

For me, I can’t split The Boss’ “Born to Run” and Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” for the pre 90’s.

After the 1990 I can’t go past U2’s “Beautiful Day”, this is probably one the songs I still play the most. With Anastasia’s “I'm outta love” a close 2nd.

For the Aussie songs, pre 90’s has to be Stevie Wright’s “Evie(parts 1,2 and 3)

After the 1990 it s toss up between two song from the same band. I can’t split Powderfinger’s “My happiness” and “These days”.

And favourite Ballard if you have one. For me, the Boss again with “The river” closely followed by Bob Carlisle “Butterfly Kisses”(crucify if you must, but it’s a Dad thing).

Terry.

andylo
8th September 2005, 04:57 PM
That's why (you go away)

terryand
8th September 2005, 05:11 PM
That's why (you go away)

:smt017 :smt017 :smt017 :smt017 :smt017 :smt017 :smt017

Terry.

Eag's
8th September 2005, 05:22 PM
That's why (you go away)

Damn Andylo, I have no idea what the hell you are on about at times :smt100 :smt102 :smt016

andylo
8th September 2005, 05:42 PM
This one

http://www.mirc-colors.com/thatswhy.html

terryand
8th September 2005, 05:42 PM
For starters, Makin Movies by Dire Straits is the best album ever made.

Really didn't think about best album,but would have to agree it would be right up there for me.Just love Romeo and Juliet,not far behind "The river" for classic ballards.

Terry.

Eag's
8th September 2005, 05:54 PM

Really didn't think about best album,but would have to agree it would be right up there for me.Just love Romeo and Juliet,not far behind "The river" for classic ballards.

Terry.

Well their best song ever would have to be Brother's In Arms :smt023

jaster
8th September 2005, 06:37 PM
I agree Eag's 8)

Great topic Tezza....I'm more of an Album man so I will include those as well

Single
pre 1990 - *TIE* Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart (1980)/The Smiths - How Soon is Now (1984)
post 1990 - Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit (1991)

Pre 1990 Aussie - Boys Next Door (Nick Cave) - Shivers (1979) (Not the horrible Screaming Jets version :smt018 )
post 1990 Aussie - Ratcat - That aint bad (1990)

Album
pre 1990 - Disintergration - The Cure (1989)
post 1990 - Back to Bedlam - James Blunt (2004)

pre 1990 Aussie - Ice House - Man of Colours (1987)
post 1990 Aussie - Nick Cave - The Good Son (1990)

AndyP
8th September 2005, 07:08 PM
I wasn't really old enough to be listening to music during the 80s, so do I still count 1980's stuff that I listen to now as classics? (1990 seems to be where your line is)
Or am I old enough to have "classics"?

jaster
8th September 2005, 07:22 PM
Of course you can still have classics :roll: :lol:

terryand
8th September 2005, 07:24 PM
Of course you can still have classics :roll: :lol:

Yeah AP,or if you haven't got a classic,maybe you could tell us the song you had your first jiggie,jiggie to :lol:

Terry.

Fishman Dan
8th September 2005, 07:29 PM

Terry.

Well their best song ever would have to be Brother's In Arms  :smt023

Can i try and trump you with Telegraph Rd? That was my introduction to Dire Straits.

AndyP
8th September 2005, 07:39 PM
Gee, you old farts sure are touchy.

It's pretty hard to nail down a couple of songs as 'classics', but here's a couple that come to mind.

Purple Rain - Prince (1984)
Lightning Crashes - Live (1994)

Webster
8th September 2005, 07:45 PM
I'm gonna have to step up to the plate here and DISAGREE with you blokes in relation to Dire Straits.

Yes, I luvved em in the 80's like everyone else, but now when their music comes on the radio I dead set wince. Its shocking, and I cant think of another band whose music has aged worse that DS.

Webster
8th September 2005, 08:13 PM
69er

DS were the bees knee's in the 80's - everyone had a copy of Brothers in Arms in their Sanyo walkman and played it to death (including me).

But I reckon there was much better stuff to come out of the 80's which has stood the test of time far better, including:

Billy Idol - a genius, even though he was stoned during every song he did. Had a great guitar man in Steve Stevens.

Concrete Blonde - a much ignored 3 pice band from the states who had great vocals and a gun guitarist - some of their early stuff was just outstanding.

Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction is still one of the pursest hard rock albums ever made.

Brian Ferry - awesome ladies man who had the tunes to match (with Roxy Music also)

Courty
8th September 2005, 08:44 PM
DS were the bees knee's in the 80's - everyone had a copy of Brothers in Arms in their Sanyo walkman and played it to death (including me).

and me... :roll:

I think 'Brothers In Arms has had a revival of sorts after it's strategic use during the State Of Origin series this year. Very nice clip they did too.

I actually just made myself a CD with some old classics on it. Song 1 just happens to be 'Brothers In Arms'

Also on the CD:

Midnight Oil - One Country
Jeff Buckley - The Last Goodbye (also my favourite ballad and the song I told me wife I want played at my funeral)
U2 - With or Without You
The Boss - Streets Of Philadelphia
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight (Live - one of my favourites)
10CC - I'm Not In Love
Spandau Ballet - True
Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer
G'N'R - Patience
Toto - Africa
Mondo Rock - Come Said The Boy
Roxy Music - Jealous Guy

Not on my CD but an honorable mention:

Boston - More Than A Feeling
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
Doobie Brothers - Without Love

:P

markTHEblake
8th September 2005, 09:29 PM
Theres a zillion of them but immediate ones come to mind.

ELO - Dont bring me Down.

You're lookin' good just like a snake in the grass,
One of these days you're gonna break your glass.
Don't bring me down,no no no no no no no no,
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down.

Squeeze -  Cool for Cats.

There's a couple of likely lads
Who swear like how's your father
And they're very cool for cats
They're cool for cats - Cool for cats

Jim
8th September 2005, 09:33 PM
Its shocking, and I cant think of another band whose music has aged worse that DS.U2 - I can't listen to any song from the Unforgettable Fire anymore- bland stadium rock of the most pompous kind.  They didn't get it back until Zooropa.

Heard Eye of the Tiger for the first time years the other night - just about split my sides.

And I reckon G69 would have Chicago 25 or 6 to 4 on his ipod (or equivavlent)

terryand
8th September 2005, 09:35 PM
Its shocking, and I cant think of another band whose music has aged worse that DS.U2 - I can't listen to any song from the Unforgettable Fire anymore- bland stadium rock of the most pompous kind. They didn't get it back until Zooropa.

Heard Eye of the Tiger for the first time years the other night - just about split my sides.

And I reckon G69 would have Chicago 25 or 6 to 4 on his ipod (or equivavlent)

Your kidding aren't you Jim.....69 wouldn't know what an ipod is or even know where to start looking for one 8)

Terry.

markTHEblake
8th September 2005, 09:48 PM
He asked me the other day whether an Ipod was a CB or a blade.

Jim
8th September 2005, 09:51 PM
Your kidding aren't you Jim.....69 wouldn't know what an ipod is or even know where to start looking for one 8)

You must have missed the "or equivalent" in brackets. For g69 that is probably an 8 track or a TDK SA90 cassette. :smt044

terryand
8th September 2005, 10:16 PM

You must have missed the "or equivalent" in brackets. For g69 that is probably an 8 track or a TDK SA90 cassette. :smt044

When talking about an ipod,an "or equivalent" to me is a JNC,iriver or creative :smt102

Terry.

Fishman Dan
8th September 2005, 10:31 PM
I'm gonna have to step up to the plate here and DISAGREE with you blokes in relation to Dire Straits.

Yes, I luvved em in the 80's like everyone else, but now when their music comes on the radio I dead set wince. Its shocking, and I cant think of another band whose music has aged worse that DS.

Genesis / Phil Collins.

Didn't like him then, thoroughly dislike him now.

Concrete Blonde. Jack - you show true class. :smt023

The 'classics' to me are a little more abrasive - The Dead Kennedy's. The Oils...

jaster
8th September 2005, 11:25 PM
Tomorrrow Wendy - Andy Prieboy and Jonette Napolitano..one of my favs 8)

goughy
9th September 2005, 06:02 AM
If there was one band that I could not stand it was concrete blonde (I won't even use capitals for their name). They certainly help me cross the name 'joey' off the possible names for our son.

BrisVegas
9th September 2005, 08:01 AM
Yeah AP,or if you haven't got a classic,maybe you could tell us the song you had your first jiggie,jiggie to :lol:

Terry.

HAHAHAHA :lol: Actually, I'm not sure I wanna know....

From about grade 10 (1989) I loved anything from these guys.

The Angels
Aerosmith
Guns n Roses

I remember lining up to buy Guns n Roses - Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 when away on "snowies trip" in grade 12. Played that and The Angels Liveline most nights in my cassette deck! 8)

The first CD i bought was Phil Collins, Serious Hits Live. Bit daggy, but very good. I'm still a Genesis/Phil fan as it's good chill-out music. If I had to choose a single CD or DVD to put on right now and listen to, it would be...

Fleetwood Mac, The Dance on DVD. :)

marcel
9th September 2005, 09:24 AM
If there was one band that I could not stand it was concrete blonde (I won't even use capitals for their name).  They certainly help me cross the name 'joey' off the possible names for our son.

Every great band gets pushed into a 'radio friendly' song occasionally, just dig a little deeper into their albums and find the gems.......'god is a bullet', 'still in hollywwod' , just about anything off Bloodletting' etcetera.
I'd probably avoid Mexican Moon.

jaster,

I saw jonette and andy do tomorrow wendy at the Coffs ex-servos early 90's, spine tingling stuff. Have seen Concrete Blonde 3 times and whilst their latest effort was disappointing the first 2 remain clearly in my mind as outstanding concerts.

As a child of punk era I love The Clash and The Jam and contemporaries.
The Clash at Festival Hall (1979 I think) was so far and away the best live performance I ever saw it almost spoils what came later. 'Going Underground' by The Jam remains my all time favourite single, they just never really cracked a whole album I'd call great.

amanda
9th September 2005, 09:43 AM
Classics for me would have to be anything by the Beach Boys, Elvis or from the Blues Brothers soundtrack. Not a huge fan of 80s music.

markTHEblake
9th September 2005, 11:17 AM
Also love Madness.

my kids absolutely love Baggy Trousers, they know the words better than I do. They picked it up when i was showing them some real culture - the Young Ones.

Virgal_Tracy
9th September 2005, 12:09 PM
If we're talking classics how about "Copperhead Rd" by Steve Earle.

Closer to home I can't believe no one's come up with "Khe Sahn".

Love Ratcat and the Blind Love album.

I'm going to add another category of "Best Concert"
For me it was Guns n Roses at Eastern Creek 92/93? followed by Midnight Oil at the Hordern Pavilion 1987 and U2 at the SCG/Football stadium

jaster
9th September 2005, 12:27 PM
Great Taste Virgal :smt023 I saw Ratcat as the support act for the Violent Femmes in 1990 for the start of my Schoolies week ;) Simon Day and the band did a version of Tiffanys "I think where alone now" live and to this day I still cannot get over the brilliance of it all :shock: An interesting quiz question/answer...Ratcat were the first ever Aussie band to score a simultaneous number 1 single and album on the national charts.

My favourite concert ever was watching my Fav band of all time..The Cure during there all conquering "WISH" tour in 1992....the 15min version of the Forest was something to behold :smt034

jaster
9th September 2005, 12:33 PM
I saw jonette and andy do tomorrow wendy at the Coffs ex-servos early 90's, spine tingling stuff.

Very jealous, Bloodletting was an album that got constant rotation and discussion during my late teen years 8)

As a child of punk era I love The Clash and The Jam and contemporaries.
The Clash at Festival Hall (1979 I think) was so far and away the best live performance I ever saw it almost spoils what came later. 'Going Underground' by The Jam remains my all time favourite single, they just never really cracked a whole album I'd call great.

Paul Weller and The Jam had some special moments in my impressionable years, I still get amazed that someone can sing a line like the one from That's Entertainment...."Two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude" and make it sound so awesome :D

Jarro
13th September 2005, 04:58 PM
"Bat out of Hell" - Meatloaf
"Dark side of the moon" - Pink Floyd
"Back in black" - AC/DC

gazgolf1
13th September 2005, 06:26 PM
I'm stuck in the 80's :lol: ,it was a time of drinking,r@@ting,surfing and great music.
I saw bands like Dire Straits,Bon Jovi,U2,Cheap Trick and Aussie bands like The Angels,Midnight Oil,Models,Kids in the Kitchen,1927 etc and while some of todays music still grabs me (lovin The Killers cd)its 80's music that still finds its way onto my CD player.
In fact Pseudo Echo played in Brisbane last week :oops: ,I must admit I never liked them when they were current (hairdresser,poof band)I saw them about a year ago and thoroughly enjoyed the concert.It also helped that Mimi Macpherson was there. :shock:
Pseudo Echo are still doing shows around Oz with the help of members from Boom Crash Opera,Uncanny x men,Real Life,Models and Kids in the Kitchen.There may be a bit of a cringe factor with some of those bands but I don't give a rats and will be checking them out if they come to Brisbane in the future.
As far as classics go I've got too many to mention but if its 80's I'm there.
BTW I just downloaded the best of Mi-Sex,woohoo. :P

markTHEblake
13th September 2005, 07:03 PM

was that a one song album?

gazgolf1
13th September 2005, 07:18 PM

was that a one song album?

only to you. :?

gazgolf1
13th September 2005, 07:39 PM
look deeper boys....say it with me "album tracks",you know the ones they don't play on Triple M. :?

Jarro
13th September 2005, 07:41 PM
i thought that song of theirs called "What do you want" was pretty good ................ at the time :wink:

gazgolf1
13th September 2005, 07:49 PM
i thought that song of theirs called "What do you want" was pretty good ................ at the time  :wink:

There you go :D ,what about "Blue Day","But you don't care","Space Race","People".They had more songs than just Computer Games.

jaster
13th September 2005, 08:33 PM
Great taste in muzic Gaz :) Me and the better half went to see The Culture Club 2 years ago and Psuedo Echo was one of the backing bands (The Village People were the other, and they were crap :() I was always a Psuedo Fan and they went OFF!!!! Real life - Send me an Angel is nearly the best song from the 80s

Now as for Misex....blue day is great, very haunting IMO and how can anyone ever forget....Com...pu pu pu pu pu pu puter games!!! 8)

markTHEblake
13th September 2005, 11:41 PM
any Giorgio Moroder fans here? he is a composer/mixer/producer/writer and probably the original computer music genius.

If you havent heard of him, you would know his music, most of Donna Summer's songs, and film scores to Electric Dreams, Midnight Express, Never ending story, CatPeople, Flashdance. He also has a bunch of Oscars and Grammys.

My favourite was a song called Goodbye Bad Times which was from an album called "Oakey and Moroder" which is still the best album i have ever had. Shame some ringhole stole it.

jaster
14th September 2005, 12:20 AM
Love Moroder MTB - Electric Dreams is one of my favs :-) Phil Oakey (Human League ;)) and him brought out some fantastic stuff. I was more of a Japan fan though....David Sylvian is GOD :lol:

Webster
14th September 2005, 08:39 PM
[quote=Jack]

Concrete Blonde. Jack - you show true class. :smt023

Have had both Bloodletting and Free on rotation again in the car these past few days......man that is some mighty fine music.

Flowergirl
15th September 2005, 11:59 AM
Being a child of the 70's - my "classics" are - without putting too much thought into these are
Aussie stuff
Living in the 70's - Skyhooks
Australian Crawl - loved both 1st & 2nd albums
Chain........You worked me so hard that my back's near broke......... :twisted:
The Loved Ones - Everloving Man

Non Aussie
Lola - Kinks - first single I ever bought
Led Zepplin - Whole Lotta Love - need I say more :twisted:
The Band - Cripple Creek- just love that song!!!!!!!

And for the record - as if I wouldn't tell ya- the first song-Creedence - Did you ever hear the Rain? Just happened to be on the radio in the panelvan at the time :wink: Gee I loved the 70's!!!!!!!! :D

Jarro
15th September 2005, 12:22 PM
Led Zepplin - Whole Lotta Love - need I say more :twisted:

now you're talking :smt023

have to be my all-time fav band :smt035

Flowergirl
15th September 2005, 12:38 PM
Way down inside........women..........you need it ........loooooove......
want a whole lotta love........ zippppp( insert guita slide) .....want a whole lotta love..........
Oh my god I'm 15 again :D

jaster
15th September 2005, 01:31 PM
Hmm....Whole lotte Love was released in '69....minus 15...hmmm....now we know FG :P :lol:

Flowergirl
15th September 2005, 02:27 PM
I didn't buy it when it first come out..........and hey........the age thing is all out in the open now Jaster.........I'm 41. I was born in -hang on - I've got to work out what year that would make it I was born - oh - that's it - I was born in 1964 or was it 65. :wink:

Another favourite - Neil Young........Old man take a look at my life I'm a lot like you......I need someone to love me the whole day through.
Now that album is a true classic :D

markTHEblake
15th September 2005, 02:28 PM
what was she doin in a panel van at 15?   :shock:

Flowergirl
15th September 2005, 02:45 PM

What do you reckon???????? Do you relly want me to give you the details :shock: :wink:

jaster
15th September 2005, 02:59 PM
I agree on Neil Young..have all his albums but nothing quite compares to Harvest...truly the loneliest album I have ever listened to :cry: I mean that in a good way, got intorduced to it my my uncle at 16 and loved it. Now has a permanent place in my Top 10 albums off all time. Old man is my fav....but I really like A man needs a maid..cause it's one of the saddest songs I ever heard :smt089

Flowergirl
15th September 2005, 03:08 PM
You're right Jaster - the whole album is just haunting.

Another album that every track is outstanding is Carole King's "Tapestry" - but I will admit it is a "chick album"

"and when my heart was in the lost and found.......you came along and claimed it........cos you make me feel .......you make me feel......like a natural women.......

How about Band of Gypsies - Hendrix at his best.

markTHEblake
15th September 2005, 09:49 PM

What do you reckon???????? Do you relly want me to give you the details :shock:  :wink:

good luck to ya.

when i was 15 there wasnt much i could do, i only had a malvern star.

jaster
16th September 2005, 09:51 AM
Did you ever try taking the seat off blakey? :lol:

markTHEblake
16th September 2005, 10:34 AM
Nice try Benny Hill.

jaster
16th September 2005, 10:40 AM
:lol: