PDA

View Full Version : Would you go for the green or lay up on this par4?

Talart
24th March 2012, 10:23 PM
13th Hole at Kingston SE. (http://youtu.be/lm0WTB1y0XM) Youtube link.

This hole is a par 4, 324m off the back marker, on the day this was shot, played of another tee block taking 20-30m off the distance. The hole info board does not show how sharp the fairway doglegs to the left. I hit 220m consistently and straight off the tee these days and this is one of the holes that has became a shot saver. By cutting the corner it is very possible to hit the green if you have a 250m drive in your regular shot selection. It was one of the first holes I began to attack off the tee as my ability improved. Not being a big hitter this was a calculated piece of strategy and not ego driven.

Even with my 220m drive, on a day like today I actually went 5m too long off the fairway. My fault I was filming and it did not register that we were playing a shorter fairway.
Not my best film work I was trying to play well in a competition round, as you can see the 150m peg is on the far side of the fairway just before the dogleg. The 100m marker is around the dogleg. The drive shown was shorter than mine but was almost off the fairway going too long and still cut 20-30 m off leaving a second shot of 70m approx. This also barely cut the corner.
No matter, the point is would you play the lay up shot to the turn or take the punt and hit over the native bush and go for the green /fairway?

<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Trebuchet">
http://youtu.be/lm0WTB1y0XM

Lagerlover
24th March 2012, 10:33 PM
Would love to know what you use for a line there.

timinsa
24th March 2012, 10:35 PM
The risk is minimal. I'd be hittin over the corner.

Talart
24th March 2012, 10:40 PM
Would love to know what you use for a line there.

at about 30-31 seconds in, there is on the left edge of the screen a short tree(2-3m) and behind that a taller (4-5m) one that is before the edge of the fairway after the dogleg. Other golfers use the stobie/eletricity poles in the far background.

timah!
24th March 2012, 10:46 PM
Absolutely go at it.

Lagerlover
24th March 2012, 10:48 PM
There's a transmitter tower I aim left of, never allow enough, always drive through the fairway. I like going after the 12th with a girly fade. Need a bit of that Kingston breeze though.

Talart
24th March 2012, 10:55 PM
There's a transmitter tower I aim left of, never allow enough, always drive through the fairway. I like going after the 12th with a girly fade. Need a bit of that Kingston breeze though.

I play the 12th the same, if the fade is a bit of a slice off the fairway is not too bad as it is reasonably clear of trees around the corner. It is great fun with the doglegs at Kingston you can take the shots if you want. It is one of the reasons why i play there so often it really does build up game confidence. The par 5 Fifth hole 478m I play a straight drive to cut across the dogleg there (birdie today) going for the fairway. Hit too low and into the gums goes the ball and it is luck of the bounce.

matty
25th March 2012, 02:35 AM
Absolutely go for it.

dave1
26th March 2012, 12:50 AM
Play tee shot. Then assess options.I never think about much beyond the first shot.

On approach shots I look at the pin - then I look at the best place to miss the green.

Try to hit inbetween those two.

Shadesy
26th March 2012, 12:57 AM
Play tee shot. Then assess options.I never think about much beyond the first shot.

On approach shots I look at the pin - then I look at the best place to miss the green.

Try to hit inbetween those two.

Tee shot is the option though?

Take on the corner or lay -up?

dave1
26th March 2012, 02:29 AM
Ok late at night - my bad

For me I hit driver low - like ugly low

So lay up probably.

Courty
26th March 2012, 07:06 PM
Absolutely go for it.

6 iron? ;)

Lagerlover
26th March 2012, 07:22 PM
Don't get me wrong there are plenty of good 320m Par 4's out there but at 260-280 its a million times more exciting, as its more tempting for more players. A ton of holes out there would be better played at the shorter distance but unfortunately its usually a battle trying to justify the drop of 60m on the scorecard to committees and greens chairmen.

I strongly agree with Gtwopeoplepleasuringeacherotheronlytoendupwithpooo ntheirnose, especially with courses like this that are so open to weather changes. Kingston is a seaside town, and although it is situated in a bay, the winds can change so quickly that the charm of these type of courses is the fact that you never play the same course twice..... Course records are to be ignored.

markTHEblake
26th March 2012, 08:28 PM
Don't get me wrong there are plenty of good 320m Par 4's out there but at 260-280 its a million times more exciting, as its more tempting for more players. .Helensvale must be super exciting then cos we got 6 of those.

Talart
26th March 2012, 09:08 PM
I strongly agree with Gtwopeoplepleasuringeacherotheronlytoendupwithpooo ntheirnose, especially with courses like this that are so open to weather changes. Kingston is a seaside town, and although it is situated in a bay, the winds can change so quickly that the charm of these type of courses is the fact that you never play the same course twice..... Course records are to be ignored.

+2 I know that I will have rounds to come at Kingston SE when the wind is a factor and laying up will be the right shot to play.

markTHEblake
26th March 2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah but if you shoot for the green and don't pull it off are you faced with a difficult 3 or 4 ?

yep.

markTHEblake
26th March 2012, 11:16 PM
Only $12 to play this saturday in the comp