PDA

View Full Version : The NFL shows the AFL how to deal with people that don't play by the rules.

Johnny Canuck
22nd March 2012, 11:26 PM
I was having a discussion with a client today surrounding how soft the AFL is on drug cheats and how the NFL has gotten extremely tough on anyone that doesn't uphold the behaviour conduct they expect, on or off the field.

I get home and see this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-saints-bounties

W (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-saints-bounties)ow. Unprecedented and awesome.

Goodell is worth every penny that they pay him.

dave1
23rd March 2012, 12:15 AM
Its a good point

Ben cousins never tested positive for anything

Not once - he was very clever at working it all out. When Asada would come knocking - he also knew how to flush ice out of his system quickly.

Johnny Canuck
23rd March 2012, 12:56 AM
How many guys get caught but have their identities protected?

dave1
23rd March 2012, 01:09 AM
First offence - club doctor is informed only.Counselling is offered

Second offence: Club is informed - coaches - counselling continues.The player is then "target tested" (extra tests)

Third offence - everyone knows.Suspension occurs.Club chooses penalty but Afl has to say "yep thats enough"

Cousins is the only athlete Ever - that was suspended without actually testing positive.

He admitted it!

Which highlights that testing athletes isnt foolproof.

Johnny Canuck
23rd March 2012, 01:34 AM
It should be first positive, suspended

dc68
23rd March 2012, 11:51 AM
It should be first positive, suspended

Agree. The AFL is very good at hiding things and getting the media to keep quiet.

WBennett
23rd March 2012, 12:40 PM
I don't mind the AFL policy.Young kids can get put in compromising situations. This allows one poor life choice without destroying a potential career. A second mistake is a last warning. A third and you are in the naughty corner.Hoenstly, how many 18-21 year old kids these days have not played with pills or something they should not have?

Johnny Canuck
23rd March 2012, 12:58 PM
I don't mind the AFL policy.Young kids can get put in compromising situations. This allows one poor life choice without destroying a potential career. A second mistake is a last warning. A third and you are in the naughty corner.Hoenstly, how many 18-21 year old kids these days have not played with pills or something they should not have?

It must be nice knowing the you have get out of jail free cards when it comes to adhering to the law.

If you want to be a pro athlete, you should be smart enough to play by the rules.

PeteyD
23rd March 2012, 01:01 PM
Smart and Athlete, in the same sentence? Funny man.

Yossarian
23rd March 2012, 01:16 PM
It must be nice knowing the you have get out of jail free cards when it comes to adhering to the law.

If you want to be a pro athlete, you should be smart enough to play by the rules.

That doesn't really make a lot of sense. How many people in the same age bracket even get tested? If an AFL player got done by the cops then they go down, unless they play for freo.

rubin
23rd March 2012, 01:30 PM
That doesn't really make a lot of sense. How many people in the same age bracket even get tested? If an AFL player got done by the cops then they go down, unless they play for freo.

They still go down though - just in a different way........

WBennett
23rd March 2012, 01:31 PM
JohnnyYou ever had an eccy? Had a toke? I'm wtih Yoss - if you drug test footballers, you drug test uni students, lawyers, cops, public servants, school teachers etc.

timah!
23rd March 2012, 01:36 PM
Fairly certain there is a massive difference between the AFL's drug policy, and paying your players to intentionally injure an opponent.

rubin
23rd March 2012, 01:37 PM
JohnnyYou ever had an eccy? Had a toke? I'm wtih Yoss - if you drug test footballers, you drug test uni students, lawyers, cops, public servants, school teachers etc.

To be fair, those are not performance enhancing drugs. On any situation.

If u play a sport, play by the rules - all of them.

WBennett
23rd March 2012, 02:36 PM
RubinPerformance enhancing drugs are covered under different AFL rules. You get caught with growth hormone or steroids, you are gorrrrn.