PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablets

Daves
18th March 2012, 01:08 PM
I recently went down the Galaxy S2 path with my mobile and quite liking it. My Laptop will need replacing shortly, so I am starting to look around the at Tablet options. Any experiences, recommendations, min. configurations?,software versions or other things to watch out for? I have a very good desktop set up at home, so main use will be on the road and travelling/holidays.

goughy
18th March 2012, 01:29 PM
Depends on how big you want it, whether you want expandable memory etc. I personally will be sticking with Samsung for all my Android needs. Firstly is it better than having a laptop for you? I have both, and rarely use my laptop now days. Pretty much all my browsing and mail is done on my tablet. And as you probably saw at the champs I was skyping the family from mine. Remembering mine was the first Android tablet to be released, so it's already dated but i am running android 4 on it and its great.Personal favorite is galaxy tab 7.7. I like the near 7" size for portability and find it better forholding with one hand. Will have ics (Android 4) soon, good processor, great screen and takes sd cards for more memory.Second would be the upcoming galaxy note 10.1". Expandable memory, newest Samsung tab and also comes with a pen if you want more fine control etc. think it will be the new standard.The current galaxy tab 10.1 is great but I would prefer it to have an sd slot.The other thing to take into account is do want one with network access or just wifi. You can still wirelessly tether your tablet to your phone for net access. My tablets plan will be up in a few months and I don't know if I'll renew it.Also coming out soon is the galaxy tab 8.9, which I think will also be a great size, but it should have 4g network access.I really don't know anything about the other brands. You can get one or two that come with keyboard docks and can act like a laptop. But they're still no replacement for a laptop.I'm finding the tablet great for reading books, and magazines though I haven't subscribed to any mags yet, just tried some free ones through zinio. Bought a few books through Amazon kindle app. Also have a few news apps which I use to keep up to date, as well as my local papers mobile site.I couldn't live without mine.

goughy
18th March 2012, 01:35 PM
Bloody mobile site formatting!!

dave1
18th March 2012, 01:44 PM
To tablet or laptop

Hmmm...

We have smart phones so figuring laptop

Will laptops be dead. ALSO how do you find typing docs on a tablet - I know you can attach keyboards (wireless)

Can I use a tablet just connected to wifi - do I need a plan (like smartphone)?

Are tablets practical size wise - its not like they fit in your pocket!

idgolfguy
18th March 2012, 01:53 PM
In terms of network access...
I bought a Vodafone wifi unit for $40 prepaid. Got it unlocked for $13 and using my Optusnet 6GB Sim in it. Now all my devices have net access at good speed rather than adequate though a phone or table hotspots. Battery life is about 5 hours but now my phones etc are no longer on 3G so much longer life.

The kids also connect to wifi when they are with so we on the cost of data access.

peter_rs
18th March 2012, 02:25 PM
Wifi connects is the go we use it for phones laptop Xbox etc

If your going anything but viewing go a ultra book

idgolfguy
18th March 2012, 03:32 PM
Windows 8 tablets are a consideration.

goughy
18th March 2012, 03:40 PM
The benefit he would have with an Android tablet would be any purchased apps he had on his phone can be used on the tablet.

I haven't seen anything of windows 8 and tablets, but there is a lot of buzz about how good they will be!

idgolfguy
18th March 2012, 04:21 PM
I've used both Samsung and Dell with Beta 8.

Distilled would keep my laptop at this stage. Android is still not desktop for another 18 months.

dave1
19th March 2012, 01:20 AM
Whats the biggest plus or reason I should buy a tablet over a laptop?

Clintos
19th March 2012, 01:33 AM
Tablets are just so easy. I'll never buy a laptop again.

Easy to transport, pick up and browse basically.

Sync up your contacts and emails and you can sit down in your recliner and browse the net hassle free!

kev
19th March 2012, 07:33 AM
Whats the biggest plus or reason I should buy a tablet over a laptop?

What is the main usage of the device going to be? Lot's of office type work - laptop; mostly browsing web, occasional email and the like - tablet

goughy
19th March 2012, 07:39 AM
Myself, I wouldn't have a tablet if I didn't already have a computer, and that would be a laptop. I don't think they are a replacement. To me they are a convenience. Plus the book reading/ magazine options are great.

goughy
9th July 2013, 07:34 PM
Just a heads up. Dick Smiths is selling the Google nexus 7 32gb wifi tablet for $199, tomorrow only I think. In store and online.