PDA

View Full Version : Swingweight

Captain Nemo
17th March 2012, 12:59 PM
So I snapped a shaft on my Ping i15's 6 iron, not on purpose or out of frustration, just caught a tree root, snapped at the flex point.
So I ordered a replacement shaft, but in the meantime I reshafted it with a DG SL 300s as I have a set of pulls lying around.
Now I just grabbed a shaft that fitted length wise compared to the awt shaft so it ended up being a 5 iron DG shaft.
Glued it, put the stock ping grip and gamed it for about 6 rounds.
I like it, better stronger ball flight than the awt's ( I expected that), distance same if not better.
So I decided to get the rest done, I would do it, but wanted them done properly and swingweighted to the 6iron as I like the feel.
Anyway I dropped them off to David Fearns (golf traders, née bondi golf I think) yesterday.
He calls me this morning, tells me that the 6 iron I did swingweighted to E7!!!!!!!:shock:
I knew it felt a tad heavy as the shaft is lightweight, and you actually feel the head position better when you swing it, but I wouldn't have thought it was that heavy, keep in mind stock i15's are D0
Is it too heavy, should I get it put back to D0, thing is I really like the feel, and I'm on the bigger physical size than most and can handle it?
Thoughts.......

Stuartd147
17th March 2012, 04:50 PM
What length are you playing your 6 iron now (38"??).....given it was a 5 iron shaft is it +1/2" now????

Captain Nemo
17th March 2012, 05:38 PM
Stu, I got the shafts off Supo pretty sure they are Jap spec so 1/2" shorter.It's playing at original i15 6 iron length....

nadg63
17th March 2012, 06:19 PM
Read somewhere, (on here possibly!?), of a theory that if it felt/worked right, who cares what the swing weight is ........................... if you'd not weighed it you'd have kept playing it no worries I'd assume!

Captain Nemo
17th March 2012, 08:17 PM
True but might be a bit heavy in the longer clubs?
Anyway David called me and recommended to set them all to D0 wedges @ D2

TourFit
17th March 2012, 11:19 PM
But D0 is a LONG way from E7.

I'd agree that E7 is too heavy, unless you are a giant freak who needs +2" over or something.

I'd get out there with a DG shafted 5 or 6 iron (no extra added weight in the head) and hit some balls and add lead tape to find the weight that gives you the best feel and centre hit %.

It may be that the i15 weights are just too heavy in the heads you have. Contact Ping and see if they can get you some lighter weights for your heads.

Captain Nemo
20th March 2012, 08:26 AM
Ok, so we found out why the 6 iron i did was heavy.
When I reshafted my 6 iron i did it in a hurry.
They where pulls, I didn't clean out inside of tip out at all (big oversight) so it prob had some old epoxy in there.
Then i may have let too much epoxy go up inside the tip, as well as some shafting beads so that would have added a little more weight?
David pulled it, cleaned it all up and put it back together.
So without getting new weights/back ports from Ping, they came out:
4 D1
5 D1
6 D1
7 D2
8 D2
9 D3
PW D4
I wanted the shorts irons a touch heavier anyway, so all good....;)

virge666
20th March 2012, 11:19 AM
Nice one Lawrence...

good find. E7 is insane.

TourFit
20th March 2012, 02:25 PM
Those weights are great (as a progressing set)

Most people prefer a little more weight in the short irons due to often not swinging full. The reduced effort and clubhead speed can often make the clubhead 'feel' lighter during the swing & impact (due to less centripetal force). The extra weight can help reduce the efect of that when hitting less than full shots.

Captain Nemo
20th March 2012, 08:16 PM
Fit, thats what i was thinking as well.
I liked the weight in my Ping wedges, so based the shorter irons on that.

Scifisicko
22nd March 2012, 12:24 PM
I dont think epoxy is heavy enough to make that much difference. Maybe he meant D7? D0-E7 is roughly 35g added to the head, a whole syringe of Araldite is roughly 25g worth and it would be a long way up the shaft.

TourFit
22nd March 2012, 01:47 PM
For those of you with a swingweight scale...try the $10 note trick!

Use a dry (unglued) club as the test. Put a cut shaft at correct length into a head and use a sliced grip on the butt end. Now drape a tenner over the hosel and you should get a swingweight point extra!

When I'm pre balancing my clubs before build I always calculate at -1 swingweight to what is required. That is, when the ferrule goes on, and the glue is used, it normally adds one swingweight point (or near enough) to the finished club.

Captain Nemo
22nd March 2012, 06:34 PM
I dont think epoxy is heavy enough to make that much difference. Maybe he meant D7? D0-E7 is roughly 35g added to the head, a whole syringe of Araldite is roughly 25g worth and it would be a long way up the shaft. Could of mate, anyway they where heavy!Now all good :)