PDA

View Full Version : Anyone putt with the toe on quick downhill putts

dave1
15th March 2012, 10:59 PM
Read this tip a while back and never tried it

Till now - on quick putts (mostly those slippery downhill 10 - 15 footers)

Works! Just deadens the contact and ball trickles down nicely.

shavey
15th March 2012, 11:07 PM
You can also give it a slight tap sideways. Was showing Popper this only last weekend at Robina Woods on the 17th.

Johnny Canuck
15th March 2012, 11:13 PM
Only on very short downhillers.

popper81
15th March 2012, 11:20 PM
You can also give it a slight tap sideways. Was showing Popper this only last weekend at Robina Woods on the 17th.

It is true.... I had never considered this approach before.... Works well on the "Danger Danger" down hill putt..

Golfnut
15th March 2012, 11:22 PM
Are we talking a croquet stroke here or normal putting stance with putter at right angle to normal?

AndyP
15th March 2012, 11:32 PM
Are we talking a croquet stroke here or normal putting stance with putter at right angle to normal? A croquet putt isn't allowed.

MegaWatty
15th March 2012, 11:34 PM
Hahaha. Nut, he means to still hit it on the face, but towards the toe, rather than te centre of the face. :)

Golfnut
15th March 2012, 11:35 PM
That was my thinking too AP......just sussing dave1 out.

Minor_Threat
15th March 2012, 11:36 PM
No.

Golfnut
15th March 2012, 11:40 PM
Hahaha. Nut, he means to still hit it on the face, but towards the toe, rather than te centre of the face. :)

Ok, was thinking he may have meant this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbGn8SUng1A

markTHEblake
15th March 2012, 11:48 PM
Modern putters have too much moi to be as effective as the old bullseye. I used to do this all the time, but I cant even remember when I last tried it

AndyP
16th March 2012, 12:05 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbGn8SUng1AI'll "go ahead" and give this a try tomorrow maybe.

LeftyHoges
16th March 2012, 12:26 AM
No, I'm a good putter.Just kidding of course. I used to do this, but then quickly realized that it causes as many problems as it solves because of the inconsistent contact. Very easy to leave the ball still 3 foot above the hole because the "toe impact" takes too much off it.When all is said and done my firm belief is your best to still use the centre of the clubface, take a shorter backswing, and triple your concentration levels. And go past the hole. A 6 footer coming back up the hill is a hell of a lot less scary than a three footer still down it that you can knock six foot past.

dave1
16th March 2012, 01:54 AM
Sorry

On the face as per normal - just on the end of the face.

Tried the heal - wasn't as effective - putts went left

Jarro
16th March 2012, 03:53 AM
I do on very sloping downhillers .... like at the 18th at Nudgee.

Seems to work pretty well too

live4golf
16th March 2012, 04:05 AM
tried the toe, got penalised a stroke. I use a putter now

sms316
16th March 2012, 07:01 AM
Don't hit it as hard

Grunt
16th March 2012, 07:06 AM
Steep downhills yes, other downhill same stroke just softer.

Ferrins
16th March 2012, 07:27 AM
Raymond Floyd

Stuartd147
16th March 2012, 07:44 AM
Works for me...stu

dhills2
16th March 2012, 07:45 AM
Yep, but only on really fast short downhillers.

matty
16th March 2012, 07:53 AM
Might try it out next game. I sent about 4 downhill putts 4-7ft past the hole yesterday. Just wasnt feeling the love in the greens. Was lucky to make the return uphill putts but it could've been ugly. Bit sceptical though. As already said by others, concentration and hitting is softer in the middle of the face makes more sense.

dan
16th March 2012, 09:34 AM
I can't bring myself to hit the ball off centre on the clubface. Just feels like the wrong thing to do.

Veefore
16th March 2012, 09:47 AM
I do it when the greens are really slick and I have a short downhiller that I feel I might not be able to stop. I haven't had to do it for quite a while though.

Steve57
16th March 2012, 10:10 AM
I do it when the greens are really slick and I have a short downhiller that I feel I might not be able to stop. I haven't had to do it for quite a while though.

+1

dave1
16th March 2012, 10:16 AM
Don't hit it as hard Yes but because you need Such a small stroke that it becomes difficult. You are almost jabbing or poking at the ball. Whereas using the toe you can make a fairly normal stoke (still shorter) but closer to a normal stroke.

sms316
16th March 2012, 10:21 AM
Yes but because you need Such a small stroke that it becomes difficult. You are almost jabbing or poking at the ball. Whereas using the toe you can make a fairly normal stoke (still shorter) but closer to a normal stroke. That sounds more like a yip. Any good putting stroke has the head accelerating through the ball. Even on fast putts.

AndyP
16th March 2012, 10:39 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbGn8SUng1AI tried this a few times this morning. As expected, it felt weird and like it was bad contact, but I left myself a tap in every time. I might even try it in a comp round.

TourFit
16th March 2012, 10:54 AM
I have used this method for MANY years...but as said plenty of times before, mostly on short, fast downhill putts

dave1
16th March 2012, 12:59 PM
That sounds more like a yip. Any good putting stroke has the head accelerating through the ball. Even on fast putts. Nah I know what your saying but nahI found it works this toe methodOn the other one (using the toe like a croquet - but normal stance)Tried that but would rather use hybrid or blade a sw

LeftyHoges
16th March 2012, 05:13 PM
That sounds more like a yip. Any good putting stroke has the head accelerating through the ball. Even on fast putts.

Couldn't agree more mate. Lefties Unite!

Webster
16th March 2012, 05:24 PM
Nah I know what your saying but nahI found it works this toe methodOn the other one (using the toe like a croquet - but normal stance)Tried that but would rather use hybrid or blade a sw

Is English your second (or third) language?

LeftyHoges
16th March 2012, 06:00 PM
Is English your second (or third) language?

To be fair Jack, the formatting going on there is an issue with posting from mobile devices.

The grammar however is another issue in itself...

Webster
16th March 2012, 06:15 PM
No issues with posting from my iphone lefty.

MegaWatty
16th March 2012, 06:49 PM
No issues with posting from my iphone lefty.

If you quote or edit there will be.

LarryLong
16th March 2012, 09:31 PM
Only when I'm behind a tree and nobody is looking.

SMS makes a good point though. Just aim for a spot and hit it there. People get into trouble because they are still thinking of the hole.

Failing that, you could always try holding the club about 10cm from the head and bend right down? Hard to generate pace that way too.

dave1
16th March 2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks for points

Format is the issue on mobile.

Grammer - um I have no spare time coz buz k :-)

2 kids, full time work golf biking leaves little time for editing.

virge666
16th March 2012, 10:47 PM
No. Never.

Stupid idea IMHO.

LeftyHoges
17th March 2012, 01:17 AM
Failing that, you could always try holding the club about 10cm from the head and bend right down? Hard to generate pace that way too.Our ex-club president, ex-association vice president and current C grade champion putts this way. His head is basically level with his knees. He had his picture in Golf Victoria magazine a few months back. I'll see if I can find it and post it. He's not a bad putter with this method, not great though but a damn sight better than what he is conventionally.

LarryLong
17th March 2012, 08:00 PM
Our ex-club president, ex-association vice president and current C grade champion putts this way. His head is basically level with his knees. He had his picture in Golf Victoria magazine a few months back. I'll see if I can find it and post it. He's not a bad putter with this method, not great though but a damn sight better than what he is conventionally.

Awesome! :)

MAZA68
17th March 2012, 09:55 PM

Footnote: Advice given after match was won.

popper81
17th March 2012, 11:26 PM
Footnote: Advice given after match was won. True.... Rude!!!

TheTrueReview
19th March 2012, 04:09 PM
Maybe you might need to tap it lightly on this downhill putt ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2S14YyJfl8o