PDA

View Full Version : Documentary - Fire in Babylon

idgolfguy
11th March 2012, 11:39 PM
Just watched this show on Foxtrot about West Indian cricket in the 70s and 80s. Back when I was interested in the game.

An amazing era and how the game had changed when Lillee, Thompson and Pascoe gave them their heads on plates.

It was interesting to see their motivation when Tony Freight said the England team would make them grovel.

Holding had a amazing action. Marshall bowling and batting with a cast on his left hand showed how soft games have become.

mike
12th March 2012, 12:09 AM
Just watched this show on Foxtrot about West Indian cricket in the 70s and 80s. Back when I was interested in the game.Same here. I loved cricket back then and was always in awe of the Windies.

What channel was it on? I'll look for the re run.

mike
12th March 2012, 12:16 AM
West Indies quicks were incredible. You're right about Holding's action. Superb. Roberts was frightening at times and Ambrose was the best fast bowler I ever saw.

Then there's Garner, Marshall, Croft, Daniel and Walsh. No wonder they dominated for so long.

sms316
12th March 2012, 08:26 AM
Same here. I loved cricket back then and was always in awe of the Windies. What channel was it on? I'll look for the re run. I think it is on the Movie Network.Edit - Movie Extra (417) at 12:45pm today.

virge666
12th March 2012, 08:55 AM
There are Torrents of it too...

Awesome doco for the fans of the era.

Goldy
12th March 2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the heads up - now set to record.

Jarro
12th March 2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up - now set to record.

Same :)

I too loved the old Windies pace attack. I remember going to a test at the 'Gabba when i was a kid, and standing on the old dog track watching Holding/Garner and co. smash the Aussie batsman !!

Great stuff !!

Moe Norman
12th March 2012, 11:59 AM
It's a great doco that one, I would also reccomend the ABC Doco 'Calypso Summer' which follows the famous 1960/61 Tour of Australia, one of the greatest series of all time and one that basically reinvigorated Test Cricket after the incredibly stale 1950's of full of dull and boring draws.

Benaud as skipper of Aus and Worrell as skipper of WI - 2 finer statesman you couldn't dream of.

Jarro
12th March 2012, 12:08 PM
Is that the series with the infamous tied test match Moe ?

If so, i think i've seen that doco.