PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Pre-champs round; Friday 31st August

shavey
7th March 2012, 09:10 PM
Interested to hear where everybody wants to play on the Friday? Few people suggested we play don't play a resort course whereas others enjoyed it. Thought we had better throw it open so we could guage a favourite and make a booking.

peter_rs
7th March 2012, 09:34 PM
I think close to pelican is a good thing

Resort- twin waters, noosa springs
Club- caloundra

PeteyD
7th March 2012, 09:38 PM
noosa springs is too far away. everyone moaned about Horton Dump and it is a lot closer

Caloundra makes sense location wise

timah!
7th March 2012, 09:38 PM
Nth or sth Shavey?

shavey
7th March 2012, 10:06 PM
Nth or sth Shavey?

I'd like to take into consideration where the interstaters are flying in to?

I'd prefer something on the way from the Goldie and close to Pelican so happy to bypass the resort courses this time around. I've also never played anything else up there so time for a change as MTB and AP have talked them up over the years.

PeteyD
8th March 2012, 06:49 AM
Beerwah? Sort of on the way.

AndyP
8th March 2012, 06:58 AM
Beerwah would be a good option if their greens aren't being renovated.

sms316
8th March 2012, 07:49 AM
There is a par 3 track near the Landsborough exit. No idea what it is like though.

PeteyD
8th March 2012, 08:27 AM
We could do the putt putt at Tops

sms316
8th March 2012, 09:19 AM
We could do the putt putt at Tops
Hmmm... stubby a hole putt putt.

AndyP
8th March 2012, 10:02 AM
There is a par 3 track near the Landsborough exit. No idea what it is like though.I haven't played at Glenview Par 3 either. I have played at the Tanawha, Noosa and Oasis (Palmwoods) Par 3 courses though.

Jarro
8th March 2012, 12:34 PM
NorthLakes would be nice

timah!
8th March 2012, 12:46 PM
Headland or Caloundra - haven't played either of those! :mrgreen:

BroKar
8th March 2012, 03:06 PM
Hyatt would be good again

BrisVegas
8th March 2012, 03:30 PM
Seeing as Caloundra is leading the poll, does anyone know what they charge for a round on a Friday? I'm thinking if it's $30 or so, I'd be tempted to just play at Pelican for $50....

Caloundra is a pretty ordinary course, so I assume people are voting for it because it's close to the resort ?

PeteyD
8th March 2012, 03:32 PM
Yea, plus a members course, social group = yellow tees. I can hear SMS from here! :D

Eag's
8th March 2012, 03:52 PM
Never played Caloundra, but mainly chose that course due to proximity to Pelican.

sms316
8th March 2012, 04:43 PM
Yea, plus a members course, social group = yellow tees. I can hear SMS from here! :D Meh. Not a championship.

sms316
8th March 2012, 04:44 PM
Seeing as Caloundra is leading the poll, does anyone know what they charge for a round on a Friday? I'm thinking if it's $30 or so, I'd be tempted to just play at Pelican for $50.... Caloundra is a pretty ordinary course, so I assume people are voting for it because it's close to the resort ?And what odds are you guys of getting the $50 rate on the Friday? I'm sure that Shavey can only call in so many favours.

Eag's
8th March 2012, 06:06 PM
Well in that case, I will follow the masses.

PeteyD
8th March 2012, 06:18 PM
Beers by the pool is looking good.

peter_rs
8th March 2012, 09:21 PM
I like caloundra, it is dear to a average club but worth it. I have enjoyed it the twice I have played it

BroKar
8th March 2012, 09:24 PM
What was wrong with Hyatt Coolum?
Exy yes, it's months away, buy 1 less club

Hux
8th March 2012, 09:42 PM
Nudgee....close to the airport and the road north :-)

PeteyD
8th March 2012, 11:05 PM
Been done

timah!
8th March 2012, 11:57 PM
Given the liklihood that any ozgolf event has of rain, Nudgee is well off the list :lol:

peter_rs
9th March 2012, 06:27 AM
Nudgee has held this event before and it worked well the only problem is you would be faced with the drive up the coast in peak hour

sms316
9th March 2012, 06:32 AM
There is a reason Nudgee is next to a highway and the airport.

Jarro
9th March 2012, 06:35 AM
There is a reason Nudgee is next to a highway and the airport.

Is it to make the south course a lot tougher ?

It can play pretty tough sometimes ....

sms316
9th March 2012, 06:38 AM
Is it to make the south course a lot tougher ?It can play pretty tough sometimes .... It can. Very hard to play well when a course is so boring that it puts you to sleep.

Jarro
9th March 2012, 06:42 AM
It can. Very hard to play well when a course is so boring that it puts you to sleep.

I would've thought the smell of the pies at the halfway house would've kept you on edge ?

sms316
9th March 2012, 06:46 AM
I would've thought the smell of the pies at the halfway house would've kept you on edge ? They did have alcohol. Always a positive.

shavey
9th March 2012, 09:18 AM
I've made some initial enquiries on rate and availability at the top 3 to date.

LeftyHoges
9th March 2012, 09:28 AM
Somewhere good. If I'm coming 3000km to play I don't want it to be at a shithole! :-)

kev
9th March 2012, 09:31 AM
Somewhere good. If I'm coming 3000km to play I don't want it to be at a shithole! :-)

Hasn't anyone told you yet, the golf is secondary.

shavey
9th March 2012, 09:41 AM

Kev, after seeing one of Lefty's earlier posts, he is well and truly aware ;)

PeteyD
9th March 2012, 10:33 AM
Why isn't TopShots in the list?

http://www.topshotsmaroochydore.com/minigolf.html

(http://www.topshotsmaroochydore.com/minigolf.html)

LeftyHoges
9th March 2012, 11:04 AM

Yeah but this is pre-champs! ;-)

Kev, after seeing one of Lefty's earlier posts, he is well and truly aware ;)

Damn straight!

SundayHack
9th March 2012, 11:52 AM
Caloundra. They also have a beer cart on Friday arvo's = big plus. Im sure they might even able to do a social
group booking as well?

Captain Nemo
15th March 2012, 09:39 AM
I voted Hyatt, but happy to go with the flow....
Trying to get up this year without the family, so i can participate in the extra curricular activities!

shavey
15th March 2012, 11:29 AM
Caloundra looking like a front runner. They have availability from 12:00pm and social group rates are $36.00 walking and $38.00 for a cart.

Pac Harbour would be $55.00 including carts.

No reply from Headland as yet which either means their online system doesn't work or they are too busy! Pity, as I would have been keen to check this out.

Hope this doesn't sway decision too much for those yet to vote.

Ferrins
15th March 2012, 11:33 AM
How about the back tee stroke event at Bribie?

PeteyD
15th March 2012, 11:53 AM
Pac Harbour if we are on reasonably early.

BrisVegas
15th March 2012, 08:12 PM
Caloundra looking like a front runner. They have availability from 12:00pm and social group rates are $36.00 walking and $38.00 for a cart.

Pac Harbour would be $55.00 including carts.

So, Pac Harbour and Caloundra are both $55 in carts... Easy decision.

peter_rs
15th March 2012, 09:33 PM
Caloundra sounds good then :)

AndyP
15th March 2012, 09:46 PM
I look at the options (without Beerwah, I might add) and see Caloundra as just above Northlakes on the bottom.

Ferrins
16th March 2012, 06:33 AM
Caloundra Golf Club: Gently undulating course designed by Ross Watson with Bermuda 328 greens and couch fairways. Bird feeding at 4pm.....

peter_rs
16th March 2012, 11:47 AM
Agree ap it's not a great course but for a social hits it's good enough. And I think it works with regards to where people can fly in and the travel after golf

I like the idea of Twin waters or headland.

Mt coolum is no better the caloundra.

Hyatt was good

Cosmopolite
18th March 2012, 01:01 PM
when will a decision be made on this? I have booked my flight from Perth to Brisvegas on 30 Aug and will need to decide where to spend that night so best placed for the game on friday. ie head to Pelican, stay in brisvegas or head to where we are playing the friday game.

Ferrins
19th March 2012, 06:36 PM
The Eastern Grey Kangaroo's breeding season is from spring to early summer so don't get between a 60kg buck and his lady roo.

shavey
20th March 2012, 07:10 PM
when will a decision be made on this? I have booked my flight from Perth to Brisvegas on 30 Aug and will need to decide where to spend that night so best placed for the game on friday. ie head to Pelican, stay in brisvegas or head to where we are playing the friday game.

I'll try Headland again tomorrow and see what they come back with. Hyatt is in receivership so no answer on whether that will be accessible in a few months time.

Cosmopolite
20th March 2012, 08:20 PM
Hyatt in receivership?? things are grim!

Hux
20th March 2012, 08:26 PM
I thought Palmer bought Hyatt?

I need a driver or a taxi for the Friday game - sick of being Ned's taxi - the bourbon is beckoning!!!

Have never played Twin Waters so its appealing on that basis alone.

timah!
20th March 2012, 08:29 PM
Have never played Twin Waters so its appealing on that basis alone.

You're not missing much...Pelican shits all over it...

Hux
20th March 2012, 08:33 PM
You're not missing much...Pelican shits all over it...

I've played shit all over Pelican - looking for somewhere else to shit :-)

BTW When I was looking at the 11th tee at The Cut on Friday I had a terrible moment of dejavu. I could have sworn I saw Nudgee disappearing over the dunes with a strip of golf towel!!!

timah!
20th March 2012, 08:36 PM
I've played shit all over Pelican - looking for somewhere else to shit :-)

BTW When I was looking at the 11th tee at The Cut on Friday I had a terrible moment of dejavu. I could have sworn I saw Nudgee disappearing over the dunes with a strip of golf towel!!!

Bahaha...on both counts. You'd think as OzGolf Champ he'd have some more respect for the title!

Hux
20th March 2012, 08:41 PM
Seriously if we are paying $55 whynot just play at Pelican. 1.....we can drink, drink and drink and stagger 10m to our digs. 2. Its about the same price. 3. Do we really give a rats ass about whether its the same course 3 in a row. We play our own course every week without complaining!!!!!!!!!!!

PeteyD
20th March 2012, 09:23 PM
The interstate visitors do. There are some that complain about playing the same course 2 days in a row.

MegaWatty
20th March 2012, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't. ;)

shavey
20th March 2012, 10:47 PM
We play our own course every week without complaining!!!!!!!!!!!

For somebody who is lucky to play every three or so weeks, I'm looking for some variety and not playing the same track for three days straight!

I could probably get you guys on for $55 providing they don't have a corporate day (good chance) and would be more inclinded to try somewhere like a Sunny Coast local or Pac Harbour which still haunts me all those champs ago!

kev
21st March 2012, 05:37 PM
The interstate visitors do. There are some that complain about playing the same course 2 days in a row.

I can tell you I never play PW the same way 2 days in a row, so it's like a new course each time for me :)

BroKar
21st March 2012, 06:55 PM
Pac Harbour please,

Hux
21st March 2012, 08:10 PM
Pac Harbour is good. However local with a local taxi fare is better.

Like Kev I spray it enough to experience a new part of PW each time I play :-)

Ned
22nd March 2012, 07:31 AM
I thought Palmer bought Hyatt?

I need a driver or a taxi for the Friday game - sick of being Ned's taxi - the bourbon is beckoning!!!

Have never played hacked it around Twin Waters so its appealing on that basis alone.

I've offered to drive, you sooked out.;)

sms316
22nd March 2012, 07:49 AM
Pair of bitches

GC
22nd March 2012, 08:20 AM
I still think Pac Harbour for $55 cart is the go!

shazza_rs
22nd March 2012, 09:13 AM
The only problem with Pac Harbour is the drive from Bribie to Pelican. It's a shit fight getting through Bribie back to the highway and then its a shit fight all the way up the sunshine coast. Considering its a Friday arvo that makes it even worse.

I'd much rather play a track that is closer to Pelican. I've played at Caloundra and sure there are better courses out there but i'd much rather have a round here and a short drive to freshen up and get into the drinks.

PeteyD
22nd March 2012, 09:40 AM
If the game is early enough the shitfight might be avoided a bit. I guess that makes it tough on interstaters though. I remember the drive taking quite a while.

sms316
22nd March 2012, 09:43 AM
If the game is early enough the shitfight might be avoided a bit. I guess that makes it tough on interstaters though. I remember the drive taking quite a while. Was that the trip where g69 took an emergency slash?

PeteyD
22nd March 2012, 09:52 AM
Nah that was Horton Park. The traffic at Kawana was a standstill.

BrisVegas
22nd March 2012, 10:28 AM
Hyatt to Pelican, Horton to Pelican, Pac Harbour to Pelican, Nudgee to Pelican... they've all been long drives. Caloundra or Pelican are the only easy options if driving afterwards is to be avoided.

I've already voted Pac Harbour, but I'll go with the flow. I can see the attraction in playing Pelican Friday too.

AndyP
22nd March 2012, 11:40 AM
Beerwah to Pelican is an easy drive. ;)

PeteyD
22nd March 2012, 12:29 PM
Sounds good

peter_rs
22nd March 2012, 12:34 PM
If the game is early enough the shitfight might be avoided a bit.

It is not a early game to allow people to travel and I have hit grid lock at 1 pm on that road.

I would perfer not to play PW 3 days in a row but we go with the flow

Beerwah to Pelican is an easy drive. ;)

Its nice but any better then Caloundra.

If people are ok with a little drive go twin waters, noosa springs were you can bypass Kawana

PeteyD
22nd March 2012, 12:42 PM
How do you bypass Kawana? We should have done that coming from Horton Park?

sms316
22nd March 2012, 12:48 PM
How do you bypass Kawana? We should have done that coming from Horton Park? Stay on the Sunshine Motorway and go via the Bruce. It takes exactly the same time - except on most Friday afternoons.

AndyP
22nd March 2012, 01:17 PM
You can get past a fair bit of Kawana now anyway, if you take a newer road that comes off the Sunshine Motoway. I think it will link up with Caloundra Rd at some stage, if it doesn't already. sms, do you know the road I'm talking about that goes past Anaconda, Trade Secret, etc.

markTHEblake
22nd March 2012, 01:18 PM
There is a new motorway from the Sunshine Mw into caloundra. That way you bypass Kawana and the Bruce altogether. I imagine headland might be an option as its close to motorway or sneak down the back road as its quiet that way

sms316
22nd March 2012, 01:45 PM
You can get past a fair bit of Kawana now anyway, if you take a newer road that comes off the Sunshine Motoway. I think it will link up with Caloundra Rd at some stage, if it doesn't already. sms, do you know the road I'm talking about that goes past Anaconda, Trade Secret, etc.
There is a new motorway from the Sunshine Mw into caloundra. That way you bypass Kawana and the Bruce altogether. I imagine headland might be an option as its close to motorway or sneak down the back road as its quiet that wayThe rather imaginatively named Kawana Way Link Road. I've tried going from Maroochydore to my place in Caloundra by all three ways (Nicklin Way, Sunshine Mwy/Kawana Link Rd & Sunshine Mwy/Bruce Hwy) and the difference between them is negligible (close enough to 20 mins).

Courty
22nd March 2012, 05:39 PM
I would perfer not to play PW 3 days in a row

+1.

I don't really care if it's a little country track, I'd just like a bit of variety (more than just different tee boxes).

+0.02

Jarro
22nd March 2012, 05:46 PM
Was Beerwah an option ?

shavey
22nd March 2012, 07:58 PM
Was Beerwah an option ?

I'm not familiar with the area which is why it wasn't included.

Have any interstaters booked flights yet? Granted that the drive after a lunchtime tee-off is something to be avoided so perhaps an earlier time at Bribie for instance will work.

Then again, it will probably be raining so what are we are worried about ;)

sms316
22nd March 2012, 08:06 PM
Perhaps a new single day major on the Friday at Caboolture? "The great split cup"

BroKar
22nd March 2012, 09:07 PM
Anyone keen on a 3 day punt? $20 a head?

Cosmopolite
22nd March 2012, 09:53 PM
I'm not familiar with the area which is why it wasn't included.

Have any interstaters booked flights yet? Granted that the drive after a lunchtime tee-off is something to be avoided so perhaps an earlier time at Bribie for instance will work.

Then again, it will probably be raining so what are we are worried about ;)

My flight is booked. arrive on thursday 30th august Brisvegas at 1.30pm ish

Courty
22nd March 2012, 10:51 PM
Have any interstaters booked flights yet?

Not yet. Although I haven't yet committed I'm probably +90% to come. The tee time won't worry me as I'll probably come down a few days early to catch up with some mates like I did last year.

kev
23rd March 2012, 10:43 AM
Have any interstaters booked flights yet?

Not yet, waiting on decision of Friday's game before trying to work out flights.

KristianJ
23rd March 2012, 11:36 AM
Will Dicky be permitted to get his gifs out?

Eag's
23rd March 2012, 03:02 PM
I don't really care where we play on the Fri, just book it and I will be there :)

AndyP
23rd March 2012, 03:07 PM
I would have thought that Shavey was experienced enough to know that polls and having a group decision doesn't work.

shavey
23rd March 2012, 05:26 PM
****! Just wrote a massive reply with flight times and prices for each and hit the wrong button! :twisted: Needless to say, I won't be doing that again but there are some very cheap rates at the moment.

OK, I've decided on Pac Harbour as diplomacy is overrated. It's an enjoyable track (at least we didn't think that a few years ago) and with the price comparable to the local courses, a better option in my eyes. Tee time around 10-10:30am which will give the interstaters ample time to fly in and drive the 1 1/2 hour north (including traffic) to the course and the 1 1/2 hour to the hotel before the traffic hits.

I'll start a separate thread when details are confirmed so please hold off booking flights just yet...

Hux
23rd March 2012, 05:30 PM
Yep good move. Pac Harbour gets your head in the right place - faaarkked. Makes Pelican look easy IMHO.

shavey
23rd March 2012, 05:31 PM
Yep good move. Pac Harbour gets your head in the right place - faaarkked. Makes Pelican look easy IMHO.

:)

Hux, if you revisited those scores from the champs a few years ago we couldn't possibly get any worse. I just know we are NOT playing from the plates again!

shavey
23rd March 2012, 05:35 PM
And here are those scores...

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/6070-Champs-Scores

(http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/6070-Champs-Scores)Moe with 32 points took the choccies and Just brought up the rear (no homo) with 10 :shock:

Hux
23rd March 2012, 05:38 PM
And here are those scores...

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/6070-Champs-Scores

(http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/6070-Champs-Scores)Moe with 32 points took the choccies and Just brought up the rear (no homo) with 10 :shock:

Awesome scores. And Just's 10 points is a serious rearender (full homo). Did he use lots of lube?

Ferrins
23rd March 2012, 06:24 PM
Is it motorised carts only at Pac Harbour or can you walk.

peter_rs
23rd March 2012, 07:34 PM
You can walk at the same price

Ferrins
23rd March 2012, 07:53 PM
But can I walk at the same pace.

Oxy
23rd March 2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks Shavey flights booked for Thurs..$59 Newcastle to Brisbane..Yippee

PeteyD
23rd March 2012, 08:02 PM
Well done Shavey. Awesome stuff. Hux that day was feral, you have no idea.

BrisVegas
23rd March 2012, 08:08 PM
Don't you just take the work jet Oxy?

Oxy
23rd March 2012, 08:19 PM
Vegas....double booked for a 'Prime Minister'....oh well..
Pac Harbour is where you won the round plus Golf Bag last year...yes?

Daves
23rd March 2012, 08:20 PM

Was that the year AndyP and Lucky were all square playing the 18th in the dark?

BrisVegas
23rd March 2012, 08:22 PM
Vegas....double booked for a 'Prime Minister'....oh well..
Pac Harbour is where you won the round plus Golf Bag last year...yes?

yes, that course is a piece of piss.... :lol:

the 19 points I had there in champs was a "blip".

Hux
23rd March 2012, 09:55 PM
But can I walk at the same pace.

Can you walk at the same pace and same price while carrying a dozen of Jimmy's finest cans?

Hux
23rd March 2012, 09:57 PM
I played there for 3 months last year when Bribie was under water. I do have a damn good idea. Pac Harbour off the back into the wind is not my (or any sane persons) idea of a fun.

Eag's
23rd March 2012, 09:57 PM
Nice work Shavey, I love that course, but it doesn't love me ;)

PeteyD
23rd March 2012, 10:30 PM
I played there for 3 months last year when Bribie was under water. I do have a damn good idea. Pac Harbour off the back into the wind is not my (or any sane persons) idea of a fun.

OK maybe you do.

Ned
23rd March 2012, 10:39 PM
mmmmm.............. Pac Harbour................Henwah where are you ??????????

BroKar
23rd March 2012, 11:58 PM

Hit full 3 wood on 17 when windy and fell short

Jarro
24th March 2012, 05:39 AM
So Pac Harbour it is then ??

I'll have to really try and get there in that case .... love the course 8)

dc68
24th March 2012, 12:00 PM
And here are those scores...http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/6070-Champs-ScoresMoe with 32 points took the choccies and Just brought up the rear (no homo) with 10 :shock:Ahem. Moe only had 31.

shavey
24th March 2012, 08:39 PM
Ahem. Moe only had 31.

Don't scare them off even more mate. That was a brute of a day, with the heat, flies and wind! Just must have gone through at least a dozen pills that day.

Haystacks
24th March 2012, 08:57 PM
Don't scare them off even more mate. That was a brute of a day, with the heat, flies and wind! Just must have gone through at least a dozen pills that day.

Shocking habit Steve.

How many balls did you lose?

shavey
24th March 2012, 11:25 PM
Shocking habit Steve.

How many balls did you lose?

I think two which makes my scoring all that much worse. Had some sideways action going on that day so alot of shots leaked around the green.