PDA

View Full Version : We sadly lost our little mate today.

Eag's
5th March 2012, 06:21 PM
Our beautiful little dog Molly had to be put down today, she was 13.
We will miss her dearly, she was the child we never had.
I am not ashamed to say I cried like a little girl.

Marto65
5th March 2012, 06:27 PM
Losing a pet is tough mate. Part of the family. Sorry to hear it.

ddasey
5th March 2012, 06:28 PM
Sorry to hear mate.

Been there, done that.

Not a very happy time at all.

BrisVegas
5th March 2012, 06:31 PM
Sorry hear Richard. I'll be the same when it comes time for our little dog to pass on.

shazza_rs
5th March 2012, 06:37 PM
I dread the day I have to do this. Thoughts are with you and your lovely wife Richard.

Grunt
5th March 2012, 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear Eag's, having had to do it a couple of times now it never gets any easier.
Thoughts with you guys

Dcanto
5th March 2012, 06:40 PM
Sorry to hear Eags.

Steve57
5th March 2012, 06:41 PM
Sorry to hear mate.
Had to do the same thing in may last year and I still tear up when I think of her.
Keep the memories alive and don't rush in to another too soon.

PeteyD
5th March 2012, 06:43 PM
Sorry mate. I dread the time when the toothless terror here passes and the kids reaction.

kev
5th March 2012, 06:45 PM
Sorry to hear this Eag's. Always hard to deal with :(

Webster
5th March 2012, 06:49 PM
Sad day Eags. I balled my eyes out when I had to take my little buddy to the vet to be put to sleep. Coming home with just a leash was even tougher.

Have a couple of drinks tonite in her honor.

Eag's
5th March 2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks people. We are so used to her being around our feet (she was an inside dog) it feels so strange not to see her there :(
It will be a long time before we even think of replacing her.

Jarro
5th March 2012, 08:05 PM
Sad news indeed Richard :(

Our little spaniel is 12 now, I don't know that she'll be long for this world either.

Courty
5th March 2012, 08:11 PM
I feel your pain, Rich. Do a little something in her honour so you will always remember.

Hooker
5th March 2012, 08:17 PM
Haven't replaced my dog after 10 years , couldn't go through it again . At 10 years old he developed diabetes and I had to give him an insulin needle twice a day for around 2 years .
Then one afternoon in the middle of winter he didn't eat his food as normal , I knew he was sick but it was too late to take him to the vet so I nursed him all night with his head in my lap in front of my combustion heater , what little sleep I had that night sitting on the floor with his head on my lap in front of the heater didn't matter.
Next morning I took him to the vet and got him put down as I was told that due to the insulin for a couple of years everything just shut down.

Took him home and buried him in my front garden and planted a rose on top of him.

Will never own another dog.

chappy1970
5th March 2012, 08:29 PM
Sorry for your loss Eag's.
My wife and I have been discussing this exact topic a lot recently. Our woofa is 14 (had him from a pup) and has arthritis all through his back legs.

He doesn't seem to be in discomfort (well he does whine or yelp), not anything obvious anyway, he just struggles to get about sometimes, particularly after a little kip. We had spoken of putting him done mid last year, even had the appointment booked in, the night before I sat on the floor and scratched his back for 30 minutes and cried like a baby the whole time. When push came to shove we couldn't do it. We thought we'd see how he went, hopefully he'd just go to sleep and not wake up like our other dog, but nope he is a trooper and still hanging in there.

My wife has suggested Thursday of this week, whilst the kids are a school. Makes we feel sad and sick just thinking about it.

Hux
5th March 2012, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear mate. I have two aging dogs one is 13 and the other just 6 months younger. Like you we have no kids and the dogs are part of the family.

BTW Hardly crying like a girl. Grieving like a human at the loss of a great friend and companion is how it is for us "dog people".

I still miss my the dog we got when we first got married and she has been gone for 12 years now.

Cosmopolite
5th March 2012, 08:39 PM
sorry to hear Eags. always hard losing one of the fur kids.

Been through it before and dont want to do it again, so I choose not to have any now. Love dogs and cats but just dont want to do it again.

mike
6th March 2012, 12:29 AM
We had a kelpie cross, Lucy, for 12 years and had to have her put down last year.

Her vet called her Superdog. She was looking crook one day about 6 years ago. Lame in the back legs and couldn't bark. Found a couple of big ticks on her and rushed her to the vet. They found no less than 20 paralysis ticks on her. Vet said to say our goodbyes, he'd do all he could but she wouldn't see the day out.
Got a phone call next morning from the vet saying he couldn't quite understand it but Lucy had made a complete recovery and was showing absolutely no signs of even having a flea bite.

Dogs are loyal to the core. I love the joke that says to lock your missus and your dog in the boot of the car for an hour, see which one is pleased to see you when you let them out.

Anyway Eag's sorry to hear. It's a tough time.

dave1
6th March 2012, 01:18 AM
Yes tough to deal with Shs can rest in peace now....When your ready get another dog - ya know why - because if molly could speak she would tell you to! Because you're good people!

Johnny Canuck
6th March 2012, 01:26 AM
Very sorry to hear Eags. We had to put down a stray that we had taken in for a few years, last year. I didn't think it would be tough as I thought I was so much more attached to my little man that I have had since he was a puppy. I was totally wrong.

Haystacks
6th March 2012, 06:50 AM
Sorry to hear Eag's. It's a shitty thing that has to be done and I feel your pain.
Went through the same a few years back. We had him longer than we'd had kids. He's up the back yard now with a garden to remember him.
We waited a while, but unlike some others, we did get another dog. Rescued a greyhound. I think it helped, especially the kids.

Eag's
6th March 2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks again everyone for your support, much appreciated.

Lucasto23
6th March 2012, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear Richard, lost two dogs when I was young raising them from puppies it is never an easy thing to lose a loved one :(

Daves
12th November 2014, 12:19 PM
It has been a long time coming, but unfortunately today was the day we had to say farewell to our little girl. Jess would have been 17 next Sunday. She was our 4th child and so much a part of our lives, we will miss her deeply. We got her for our son's birthday, he will be 25 in a month.

We were with her till the end, having stay up with her through a bad night. All the family came around to see her and say their goodbyes. She was fighting hard, but her little body was failing. She went peacefully with us holding her. We have buried her under her favorite spot in the yard, she will be with us always. I have been losing the fight with tears all morning, hardest day of my life. RIP Jess.

simmsy
12th November 2014, 12:43 PM
Nice words Dave.
Will toast Jess with a cold beer tonight.
Know the feelings your family are experiencing today mate.

TheNuclearOne
12th November 2014, 01:17 PM
Sorry to hear that Daves. I lost my Mastiff/Dane of 11 years just before christmas 2 years ago and it was a very very ordinary few days. They are such great companions.

mrbluu
12th November 2014, 01:19 PM
Sorry for your lost Dave......reading this thread has made me very sad.

benno_r
12th November 2014, 01:22 PM
Condolences for your loss Dave. It's surprising how the little buggers can become such a part of your life.

AndyP
12th November 2014, 02:05 PM
That's sad to hear, Daves. 17 years is a good life.

Steve57
12th November 2014, 03:48 PM
Sorry to hear Dave. As others have said they are definitely part of the family.
We had our Dalmation(my avatar) for 14 years and I know how hard it was when we had to put her down.
RIP Jess.

Dangals
12th November 2014, 04:23 PM
My condolences Daves - saying goodbye to a mate like that is one of the hardest things to do I think.

PeteyD
12th November 2014, 04:40 PM
Very sad Dave.

Jarro
12th November 2014, 05:53 PM
Sorry to hear that Dave ..... so sad.

oldracer
12th November 2014, 05:54 PM
no good mate, thoughts are with you and the family

3Puttpete
12th November 2014, 07:36 PM
Thoughts are with you all Dave. I hope you're doing ok.

BenM
12th November 2014, 07:56 PM
So sorry to hear it Daves. They are part of the family and the house just doesn't seem the same any more when they're gone.

If it's any consolation she had a very good innings with a family that obviously loved her deeply.

http://www.newrainbowbridge.com/NRB/rbpoem.htm

Hux
12th November 2014, 09:17 PM
No good mate. Let it out. No shame. I've cried for all of my dogs. Dog people understand what it means to lose a part of the family. Give your missus a hug from the ozgolf dog lovers. I'm sure she is pretty upset too,

Daves
14th November 2014, 07:43 AM
Thanks all, your comments and thoughts have been much appreciated. Thanks for the link to the verse BenM, really enjoyed reading it.

Yes, she had an extraordinary innings, her resilience was amazing. She was all but blind and her hearing was poor, but you had to know that, you would have never have known by casual observation. She still had a great bounce in her walk and regularly got excited just like when she was a pup. She still loved her daily walks and was always waiting for us in the Hallway when we arrived home. The house feels very empty now and I find myself looking around for her quite often.

Thanks also to Eags for creating this thread. I know I read his original post with some foreboding, knowing our time would be up at some stage, but you try not to think about it. Talking about it is very therapeutic, thank you all for allowing me the indulgence.

goughy
18th November 2014, 07:52 AM
Had a great long life there. I've had to take several of our pets to the vet to euthanas them when their quality of life was beyond it and as tough as it is, I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else but with them at the time.

We've been dogless for over 5 years now, which is the longest break in my life. It still feels strange. Will have to get around to fencing the place...

BenM
18th November 2014, 05:09 PM
No worries Daves.... it just be heartbreaking. I know it makes me choke up just thinking about losing ours, he only turned 7 a few weeks ago so I hope he hangs around for quite a few years yet.

Nothing I can say to make it easier.

Lucasto23
18th November 2014, 07:00 PM
Sorry for you lose Daves, 17 years is a long time to know a mate and a big lose to your family. my guy is 2 and a half and just reading the post sadden me at the thought that one day he will pass as well.

popper81
18th November 2014, 10:19 PM
That is not great news Dave... Sorry for your loss. Dogs in general play such a big part in most peoples lives.

Whilst I haven't stumbled across this thread before, it has rattled me a bit. I am sitting here patting my own puppy, Molly, a staffy who is 11 months... Her best friend next door. A little part dingo part kelpie puppy called Jess. Sometimes the world delivers messages in the strangest ways.

LeftyHoges
4th October 2015, 10:37 PM
Said goodbye to my best mate of 11.5 years today, RIP Quazz, a little guy with many, BIG personalities. This guy was an escape artist that Houdini would be proud of, spent so much time & $$$ finding and fixing holes in fences that you couldn't squeeze your fist through, but Quazz always found a way.

Was diagnosed with Cushings Syndrome back in May, vets gave him 2 years at best but couldn't tell exactly how long he'd been afflicted so said more likely to be 12 months.

See ya little smackhead, thanks for all the memories and for being the best mate a bloke could ask for.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/04/92c00e8bb801738999f2c673db39ad11.jpg

Grunt
4th October 2015, 10:38 PM
Sorry to Hear Lefty

AndyP
4th October 2015, 10:39 PM
That's sad to read, Lefty.

Hatchman
4th October 2015, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear Lefty.
I can still clearly remember the day I had to say good bye to my Rotty 10yrs ago.

Steve57
4th October 2015, 11:31 PM
Sorry to hear Lefty.
I know what you are going through after putting down our Dalmatian(my avatar) at age 14.

oldracer
4th October 2015, 11:33 PM
no good mate, thoughts r with u

Blackhelmo
5th October 2015, 12:14 AM
Not good mate, we lost our buddy 6 mths ago, sad day for you indeed

Dcanto
5th October 2015, 01:18 AM
My condolences Lefty.

goughy
5th October 2015, 09:11 AM
sorry to hear mate! Unconditional best friends. Never forgotten, you can get a new mate but you can't 'replace' them.

Captain Nemo
5th October 2015, 10:59 AM
Sad news Lefty, all the best.

Yossarian
5th October 2015, 02:09 PM
Sorry to hear mate. Hugs.

Daves
5th October 2015, 02:19 PM
We feel for you Nick. Most have been there, and it is heart breaking to lose such a special friend as Quazz obviously was. We haven't replaced our little girl as yet, it will be a while. But our son now has a Corgi, named Archer, after the TV show. So we get to enjoy him when he visits. He is a special dog as well, as they all are in the own ways.

Haystacks
6th October 2015, 08:36 AM
Sorry to hear mate.

Did you paint your toenails for him?