PDA

View Full Version : Barnbougle - Dunes or Lost Farm

Flusher
5th March 2012, 02:13 PM
Heading to Barnbougle this weekend and have a dilemma - what course to play twice ?? Flying in Saturday morning for a midday tee time but have all day Sunday to enjoy the surrounds. Which one should we play all day Sunday ???

Thoughts please...

Marto65
5th March 2012, 02:26 PM
They are both great ... not much between them at all.

I think I'll sit on the fence.

wazandnic
5th March 2012, 02:39 PM
Went down there with 7 mates and whilst we all loved both of them I think 5 of them preferred Lost Farm over Dunes.

Me, I would go with Dunes... just seemed a little more natural and not tricked up as much.

But you can't go wrong with either really! Have fun! :)

wazandnic
5th March 2012, 02:42 PM
BTW what a shitty dilema to have! ;)

Greeny
5th March 2012, 03:19 PM
Yes, a great dilemma to have ahead of you. I think LF is more fun in some ways. Potential to make more birdies (but also more double bogey's) and has more holes (20)!
Of course they are both fantastic and my thoughts will probably be different tomorrow.

BGH
5th March 2012, 03:31 PM
I went there last week for 4 days, played both twice. For me Barbougle Dunes is definitely the winner. Lost Farm is obviously a fantastic course but I just think there are too many forgettable holes there (1,2,11 and 12 spring to mind). Just 3 or 4 "nothing" holes IMO that don't fit the character of the others.

In contrast I think just about every hole at the dunes is memorable for one reason or another. Brilliant course.

Marto65
5th March 2012, 04:04 PM
Gee .. I thought 1,2,11 and 12 on Lost Farm were awesome holes ... specially 2 and 11.

Minor_Threat
5th March 2012, 04:34 PM
Im heading there in Sept, playing 36 on both in 2 days! Cant wait...

Marto65
5th March 2012, 04:41 PM
Im heading there in Sept, playing 36 on both in 2 days! Cant wait...

You'll be too tired from batting off for 6 months thinking about playing them to play them any good ...

RobNewy
5th March 2012, 05:36 PM
What is the best time of year to go?
The missus wants to go to Tassie for a week, so I can play 1 on the way and 1 on the way back
Just dont want to go and know it will bloww 400 knots and be 3 deg!
IS there a best time of year?

Marto65
5th March 2012, 05:43 PM
Now.

wazandnic
5th March 2012, 05:47 PM
First time I went early December and it was gale force winds! Snowed at Cradle Mountain when we were there.

Second time I went Mid March and it was gale force winds for 4 days! :(

"Apparently" best time for wind is winter time... but then you have shorter days and much colder?!

Short answer though... "Best time to go" = Any time... they are sensational courses! ;)

BGH
5th March 2012, 07:49 PM
Would have been the perfect thread for a poll

shazza_rs
5th March 2012, 07:57 PM
Definitely dunes.

Hux
5th March 2012, 08:44 PM
Gee .. I thought 1,2,11 and 12 on Lost Farm were awesome holes ... specially 2 and 11.

Actually strangely I remember all 4 of those holes and quite liked the run 10 through to the end. Was 2 the one with the green where you ran the ball through the green and around the back and fed it back to the pin in the perfect ground play? I liked that hole.

Actually remember most of the holes but not always the order of them. 13a (par4) and 13b are still in my mind and of course what was that awesome par 3 below the clubhouse that I knocked the 6 iron to 15cm all the time thinking it would impress the people in the restuarant watching - except it was Mrs Choppa and she wasn't watching :-)

What is the best time of year to go?
The missus wants to go to Tassie for a week, so I can play 1 on the way and 1 on the way back
Just dont want to go and know it will bloww 400 knots and be 3 deg!
IS there a best time of year?

Now.

Yep played Barny two years in a row in March and both times awesome weather.

I think Barny has the most spectacular scenery of the two courses and the holes are very strong. Which would I play twice? Probably LF because I have played it less than Dunes.
If it was Dunes twice I would play morning off the blacks and afternoon off the next ones forward and enjoy it more. Dunes is by far the most punishing course off the back markers.

Minor_Threat
5th March 2012, 08:47 PM
You'll be too tired from batting off for 6 months thinking about playing them to play them any good ... Your probably right mate, been firing up the Barny website and course guide instead of Redtube lately!

nadg63
5th March 2012, 10:37 PM
:( One day I will get to Tassie and have time play these courses, every time I've been to Tassie it's to speed around it in a rally car and the driver won't let me chuck my clubs in the boot! (my theory is that if we have an early DNF I could still make the most of the trip .................................. !)

dave1
6th March 2012, 01:39 AM
Which is wider?

Go with width

idgolfguy
6th March 2012, 08:09 AM
Lost Farms is wider and considered easier.
Dunes for me which is what I did about a year ago. Brilliant 4 days.

Flusher
6th March 2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback !

Given the emphasis on the conditions I took a peek at the weekend's forecast which is rather mild on Saturday and a bit blowy on Sunday.

So we are going to play the Dunes on Saturday & Lost Farm on Sunday.

Cheers.

idgolfguy
7th March 2012, 03:01 AM
Good choice. Lost Farm was designed to be the easier course.