PDA

View Full Version : Mixing iron shafts

Stuartd147
4th March 2012, 05:36 PM
I had been playing my Miura PP-9003's for 3-4 months with DG SL S300's softstepped through the whole set (4-PW,GW,56,60), these have all been spined, lie/loft checked, etc. I had nice distance gaps between 6 iron through to 60* wedge. I hit the 6 iron 150m but could only hit the 5 iron about 156 and the 4 iron about 163. I was struggling to get the ball up nicely with these two clubs and the ball would just drop. I think also, when I hit these two clubs I am generally going for more of a "distance" or "carry" type of shot rather than an accuracy one so I probably tend to try and hit them a bit harder.

Anyway, 3 weeks back I replaced the 4/5 shafts with Project x 5.0's that I had laying around. The results are great, I now get about 163 with the 5 and 174 with the 4 iron. So I am happy again.

I realise I could swap all of the shafts over to Px 5's, but I am hitting the ball well and we are in the middle of B Pennants (playing #1 and unbeaten so far!!!). I would probably pick up distance on every club but as I mentioned I am very confident with direction and distance with the other shorter clubs.

I would guess most of us mix and match all of our clubs when you think about your driver shaft, then your FW or hybrid shafts, then most irons are often different to your wedge shafts.

Anyone else tried this with their longer irons? ......stu

PeteyD
4th March 2012, 05:51 PM
People do it with the hybrids.

Daves
4th March 2012, 05:52 PM
People do it with the hybrids.

And driving irons. I guess flighted shafts are sort of mixed shafts as well.

peter_rs
4th March 2012, 06:07 PM
No issuse if it does effect you, px to dg sl would be a couple of swing weights different

Stick with the px and I will buy the dg sl ;)

Stuartd147
4th March 2012, 06:09 PM
Pete, I have them all at D2 but the PX are just heavier overall which probably helps slow me down a touch.

supo67
6th March 2012, 04:22 PM
hey what ever works...,
i have an old set of tourstage x- blades with NS 950 s in 3-4
dg x 100 5-6-7-8
and NS Spblue x in 9-pw
they go very very well. the 3 and 4 are so easy to hit.
the 5-8 just perform nicely and the scoring ones are so darn straight .
i was trying them out to see which set id go with but like it is suits nicely.
i havnt gone and seen distacnes but i dont rcare distance wih the 3 or 4 i just want it down there longish and lower than a ute.
these work well
and the 9- pw i dont want to blow all over the place, the ns SP do that better than anything.
its a good set. might not excite the masses but i like to play em. the x100s do get a bit dull , but they work

3oneday
6th March 2012, 08:22 PM
It makes sense, I think it's how Tour Concept shafts work. I use KBS regs in my 3 and 4 irons and Dygolds in the rest.