PDA

View Full Version : Hankook tyres

Ashes
24th February 2012, 08:25 PM
The Mrs CRV needs new shoes (225, 65, R17's) and the cheapest quote I've found is $229 for hankooks, compared to $269 for Bridgestone and maxxis. Fallen is next best at $239.

I know sweet stuff all about tyres... Does anyone have more of a clue or experience with hankook?

Obviously don't want to compromise on safety for wife and child (and me of course), but always up for a good deal (if it is one).

Cheers
Ashes

Lobsta
24th February 2012, 09:14 PM
I have a mate that owns a tyre shop, and for cars, he reckons maxis are the best bang for your buck without compromising safety in the slightest. We got some on our Mazda 6, and they are sticky as hell in the wet, but still last a long time, which is all you really care about in a passenger car.

oz
24th February 2012, 09:36 PM
I had maxis on my last car (Captiva), and they were very good for both grip & wear.

TourFit
24th February 2012, 10:06 PM
The Toyos are also really good Ashes...tiny bit more expensive (maybe) but they are Made In Japan, rather than Korea.

I went with them over Kuhmo and Hankook on my SS Crewman.

Ashes
24th February 2012, 10:37 PM
The Toyos are also really good Ashes...tiny bit more expensive (maybe) but they are Made In Japan

Are they forged or cast?

hocko
24th February 2012, 10:43 PM
Can't go wrong with Hankook IMO

kingslayer33
24th February 2012, 10:47 PM
I went with them over Kuhmo and Hankook on my SS Crewman.Same crewman that ended up in the ditch 'fit?

kunkie
25th February 2012, 12:10 AM
Can't go wrong with Hankook IMO

agreed, i used to run hankook exclusively, will likely put hankooks on the new car once the factory fitted brigdeys are shagged.

i found they have great life and not much road noise compared to the other cheaper brands, also more than enough grip in the dry and wet!

idgolfguy
25th February 2012, 01:37 AM
How are they on performance cars?

My EVO X is due for three. The Bridgestones that I have are noisy. On 40K km now and going to see If I can stretch to 50K kms - around July.

TourFit
25th February 2012, 03:22 AM
Put the best possible tyres you can on that beast idgg...

kunkie
25th February 2012, 10:21 AM

My EVO X is due for three. The Bridgestones that I have are noisy. On 40K km now and going to see If I can stretch to 50K kms - around July.

the car i used to run them on was a worked twin turbo toyota soarer, the rears only last as long as your right foot permits them to last... fronts werent too bad though. under normal driving conditions the grip was excellent. probably wont be too bad on an evo being AWD, best mileage i got out of a set of hankooks was 60k for fronts, rears would last less than 10 most of the time... (my fault).

Dazza
25th February 2012, 10:52 AM
I previously had Toyo's on my Rodeo, happy with how they performed. (55,000klm with no punctures) Recently priced them up ($320, up from $280 previous) so ended up going with Maxxis Bravo ($235). They're good on wet/dry bitumen, but are a bit loose on the dirt compared to the Toyo's.
New Hilux rocks up in 3 weeks.... Yay back to crappy stock tyres.

Ashes
25th February 2012, 11:44 AM
Hmmmm. The Michelins that came with it from the factory have almost done 90,000km's.... Would go them again but they're over $330 a throw (as are the Toyos TF).

Any ideas about mileage comparisons between Maxxis, Bridgestone and Hankook? Price difference is less than 20% so mileage will probably be biggest factor if they're all reasonable quality.

Veefore
25th February 2012, 06:06 PM
Hmmmm. The Michelins that came with it from the factory have almost done 90,000km's.... Would go them again but they're over $330 a throw (as are the Toyos TF).

Any ideas about mileage comparisons between Maxxis, Bridgestone and Hankook? Price difference is less than 20% so mileage will probably be biggest factor if they're all reasonable quality.

Michelin's are excellent value considering the excellent mileage people always seem to get out of them without giving up wet and dry grip to do so. I've never known anyone to get near the same mileage from any other brand.

I'm using Kumho on the XR6 now in place of Sumitomo's and have found that they are a little quieter and seem to match the Sumi's for grip.

Hankook are as good as anything else in their price range these days.

BrisVegas
25th February 2012, 06:37 PM
Yokohama Geolanders aren't bad value too. They have a puncture warranty too, if that matters. I got a set for my mum's prado and she seems happy with them. Geolanders are the OEM tyre on a number of SUV and 4wds, so they must be reasonable.

Lobsta
25th February 2012, 07:22 PM
Geolanders are the OEM tyre on a number of SUV and 4wds, so they must be reasonable.

Or cheap

990B Luva
26th February 2012, 05:05 PM
Which specific tyres were they? Most brands have 2-3 different compounds and tread patterns per size.

Topdog
26th February 2012, 11:00 PM
The misses has Hankook Dyna Pro on her Rav4.

They have only done 10,000 k so far , but Must say they are good alround tyres for a small 4 wheel drive ( girlie suv ) car.

They are wearing much better then the bridgies and Dunlop grandtrec that have been on before.

TourFit
27th February 2012, 04:38 PM
Who is this Topdog bloke?

WOW Phil...two more posts for the year and you'll crack 130 mate ;)

Topdog
28th February 2012, 11:32 PM
Who is this Topdog bloke?

WOW Phil...two more posts for the year and you'll crack 130 mate ;)

Yep sore hands and crap internet connection don't help the post count , but both are getting better and I think 150 by the end of the year might be possiable.

mike
29th February 2012, 12:07 AM

My EVO X is due for three. The Bridgestones that I have are noisy. On 40K km now and going to see If I can stretch to 50K kms - around July.You have an EVO X?

Wow.

I drove one a few months back. It was a f^^king rocket. I swear to god it did a wheel stand.

bergsey
29th February 2012, 01:17 AM
Or cheap Just had the geolanders replaced on our outback only lastest 50ks

Yossarian
29th February 2012, 01:20 AM
Yep sore hands and crap internet connection don't help the post count , but both are getting better and I think 150 by the end of the year might be possiable.

Good to hear mate!

bergsey
29th February 2012, 01:20 AM
How are they on performance cars? My EVO X is due for three. The Bridgestones that I have are noisy. On 40K km now and going to see If I can stretch to 50K kms - around July. The bridgy potenzas on my wrx started splitting after 30ks. Bridgestone had a look and by their own admission you can only expect 40ks out of them topsId let me know when u are looking one of me and Deans mates owns a tyre factory store and would do ou a good deal

idgolfguy
29th February 2012, 02:39 AM
Yes, just changed leases. Will check out Dimmer in 2 months.

idgolfguy
29th February 2012, 02:42 AM
You have an EVO X? Wow.I drove one a few months back. It was a f^^king rocket. I swear to god it did a wheel stand.At my 20k service, the Mitsubishi dealer that I service at did something to the ECU to give me an extra 20 or 25 hp. Can't remember the exact number., but it seemed quicker at the time. Have got used to it noe, 20k kms later.

goughy
29th February 2012, 07:44 AM
Only ever had hankook tyres on a car once, and never again. Granted, it was nearly 20 years ago, and they were on the first car rob and I bought. Never have aquaplaned so much on a car since. Just horrible horrible tyres and turned me off them for life.