PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to remove virus from computer

oncewasagolfer
24th February 2012, 07:08 PM
Microsoft security essentials tells me I have a win32 dropper virus but cant seem to remove it. Have been looking online for the last couple of days to find out how to remove it but not having a lot of luck. The netbook is virtually unusable as this thing has disable my firewall and virus scanner as well as my browser and I have only just gotten the keyboard and touchpad back working. Any ideas?

markTHEblake
24th February 2012, 07:13 PM
Apart from googling for the manual solution or installing another AV program, try using HiJackThis (google it) to delete items from starting up, and then use search for Files/Folders being created or modified under todays date. Knowing which files are being created often helps identify the virus.

Or if you dont wanna spend hours more fixing it, invest a few hours doing a clean reinstall. Its probably easier.

Also be aware of false positives. You may just be chasing your tail - so you should not jump the gun until you actually see evidence of the virus outside of the application. Perhaps it is just telling you it has protected you from it, rather than saying you have a terminal disease.

idgolfguy
24th February 2012, 07:43 PM
System restore to a date before the infection.
Make sure you have identified the miscreant first.

After the SR, delete the file.

virge666
24th February 2012, 07:49 PM
Google malware bytes

Download, install and run

Lobsta
24th February 2012, 07:52 PM
Take a massive magnet, and run it over your hard drive for half an hour or so.

oncewasagolfer
24th February 2012, 08:46 PM
All good advice I have already tried a system restore didnt help have used those programs in the past just need to reaquant myself with them. Will work it out eventually.

Cosmopolite
24th February 2012, 11:40 PM
try the microsoft malicious software removal tool - takes ages to run but it does the job

dave1
25th February 2012, 02:50 AM
Take it to a computer repair place

oncewasagolfer
25th February 2012, 07:40 AM
Take it to a computer repair place But that would cost money and I would know more about computers than anyone who works in a computer shop around here:)

oncewasagolfer
25th February 2012, 07:42 AM
I'm not really that worried about it just thought someone on here might have an easy fix might just format and reinstall windows.

markTHEblake
25th February 2012, 08:38 AM
Well you haven't exactly given much of a description of the issue. What exactly does the security warning say.

oncewasagolfer
26th February 2012, 06:51 PM
after a bit more research today and numerous anti-virus programs installed and tried I came across this program called combofix on one of the malware forums. I ran the program and it picked up a virus that was blocking my ip/tcp connection and it seems to have removed a lot of stuff and my internet is working again. Mark if I post the combofix and hijackthis logs would you be able to tell me if all this shit has been removed from my system?

LeftyHoges
26th February 2012, 08:24 PM
Free virus programs, either SuperAntiSpyware or HiJackThis, will kill 99% of these sort of viruses (if it is as simple as that). Try these two, they are ALWAYS my first port of call when virus problems arise.

oncewasagolfer
26th February 2012, 08:37 PM
Just deleted Microsoft security essential and installed avg free looks much better. I thought hijackthis just gives you a list of programs running on your system from which you can manually delete if you know what you are doing?