PDA

View Full Version : Best valued GPS

IamViva
21st February 2012, 10:39 PM
I am looking at picking up a gps as I've been sharing a sureshot 8850 for pennants and have really come to like having one. I was looking at Bushnell Neo as they are quite cheap but opted out as I thought they may have just been too 'cheap'. In your opinions what is the best value on the market ie. initial cost, annual fee, battery life, detailed distances like hazards etc. I haven't really had the opportunity to play around with the sureshot so I have no idea what its like, so please share all your experiences good and bad.

Sorry if this has been posted but I was unable to find what I am after.

virge666
21st February 2012, 10:44 PM
I am looking at picking up a gps as I've been sharing a sureshot 8850 for pennants and have really come to like having one. I was looking at Bushnell Neo as they are quite cheap but opted out as I thought they may have just been too 'cheap'. In your opinions what is the best value on the market ie. initial cost, annual fee, battery life, detailed distances like hazards etc. I haven't really had the opportunity to play around with the sureshot so I have no idea what its like, so please share all your experiences good and bad.

Sorry if this has been posted but I was unable to find what I am after.

You need to buy my bushnell XGC

:)

MegaWatty
21st February 2012, 11:09 PM
Sureshot.

Lifetime courses. Mapped by themselves by walking the course.

Puji
21st February 2012, 11:31 PM
Bushnell yardage Pro $40 from RBG. my partner wanted a simple GPS and we got ours a few days ago. cant complain!

oncewasagolfer
22nd February 2012, 10:25 AM
Bushnell yardage Pro $40 from RBG. my partner wanted a simple GPS and we got ours a few days ago. cant complain! I saw those on RBG was thinking of getting one to replace my dead neo. Apart from the bigger size I couldn't see much difference in the specs.

Captain Nemo
22nd February 2012, 10:34 AM
Sonnocaddie's, v300 or the fancier ones,can get them pretty cheap if you do some digging?

idgolfguy
22nd February 2012, 10:41 AM
Not as cheap as $40 by the sounds of it.

Daves
22nd February 2012, 11:04 AM
I saw those on RBG was thinking of getting one to replace my dead neo. Apart from the bigger size I couldn't see much difference in the specs.

It doesn't have Custom points, but trade off is larger screen and easier to read. It also has a timer I gather. For $40 it is a bargain, but you will need to take out a iGolf subscription to get downloads, $35 for 12 months and 100 course downloads.

I really like the Yardage Pro XG, $125 delivered from Global Direct on Ebay (maybe cheaper from the US at times?). Gives you larger screen, 6 custom points per hole, score tracker and Green Map, and stores up 20 courses at a time.

All the Bushnell device batteries seem to last about 16hrs min., so 3 to 4 rounds at least. I am sure the Sureshots are very good as well, but I prefer to put the extra funds into a Rangefinder.

Peppas
15th March 2012, 02:21 PM
Just bumping this thread as I have been thinking about getting a golf GPS.

Was going to pull the trigger on the yardage pro from RBG, but am not sure if it would be better value to get the Bushnell Neo + that has all courses pre loaded?

The Bushnell Yardage Pro will be $40 + $30 shipping + potentially $35 for membership so $105 at least. Neo + is about $140 on RBG and BOTD has them for $148 ($10 shipping)... just trying to work out the best one to get under $150, and I don't like annual fees :)

timah!
15th March 2012, 02:36 PM
Peppas, as said in the other thread, OzGolf has its own repository for course files. There's a truckload in there, so membership to Igolf isn't a massive consideration.

The yardage pro has been great, and for $125 is a good buy.

Peppas
15th March 2012, 02:45 PM
Peppas, as said in the other thread, OzGolf has its own repository for course files. There's a truckload in there, so membership to Igolf isn't a massive consideration.

The yardage pro has been great, and for $125 is a good buy.

Hmm do you know what the repository is like for NSW courses? From the brief look I had at the iGolf thread it seems to be mostly QLD courses?

timah!
15th March 2012, 02:53 PM
There's not as many for NSW, but there may be a few people around who still have an Igolf membership that could download some.

Peppas
15th March 2012, 03:03 PM
There's not as many for NSW, but there may be a few people around who still have an Igolf membership that could download some.

All good Timah! I will probably get the membership for a year and grab the ones that aren't in the repository to add. Neo+ has like 900 Aussie courses preloaded, anyone got that? If they supplied that to the repository... :)

timah!
15th March 2012, 03:34 PM
Neo files only work with neo's I think.

Peppas
15th March 2012, 03:44 PM
Neo files only work with neo's I think.

Goddamn companies and their monopolies!

oncewasagolfer
15th March 2012, 03:46 PM
Just bumping this thread as I have been thinking about getting a golf GPS.Was going to pull the trigger on the yardage pro from RBG, but am not sure if it would be better value to get the Bushnell Neo + that has all courses pre loaded?The Bushnell Yardage Pro will be $40 + $30 shipping + potentially $35 for membership so $105 at least. Neo + is about $140 on RBG and BOTD has them for $148 ($10 shipping)... just trying to work out the best one to get under $150, and I don't like annual fees :) I wonder how much shipping would be from RBG for more than one? Contacted bushnell when I broke my neo to see if I could get the screen replaced and they said they don't do it. Strange thing is the guy said if I send it back they can send me a new one for $84 then fix my old one and sell it as a refurb. Would the yardage pro be better or not as good as the neo?

Peppas
15th March 2012, 03:53 PM
I wonder how much shipping would be from RBG for more than one? Contacted bushnell when I broke my neo to see if I could get the screen replaced and they said they don't do it. Strange thing is the guy said if I send it back they can send me a new one for $84 then fix my old one and sell it as a refurb. Would the yardage pro be better or not as good as the neo?

For the Bushnell Yardage Pro

1 unit the shipping is $28.99
2 units the shipping is $41.99
3 units the shipping is $43.99
4 units the shipping is $40.99 (with $5 discount?)
5 units the shipping is $43.99 (with $5 discount)
6 units the shipping is $49.99 (with $5 discount)

I'll leave it at that...

oncewasagolfer
15th March 2012, 04:24 PM
Ok. Thanks:)

IamViva
15th March 2012, 04:47 PM
i bought a yardage pro xg off ebay (same one timah mentioned) last night, in the post 9am this morning hopefully ill see it at work tomorrow. $125 express post cant argue with that...

markTHEblake
16th March 2012, 01:57 PM
Rbg has a discount for international shipping. I think the coupon code is : iseek or iseekgolf

Peppas
16th March 2012, 02:01 PM
Rbg has a discount for international shipping. I think the coupon code is : iseek or iseekgolf

I tried those and they didn't work. But I found a 5% off voucher and the discount was pretty much the same, I think the international shipping discount was $10.

markTHEblake
16th March 2012, 02:04 PM
That discount worked for me in January.

Peppas
16th March 2012, 02:14 PM
That discount worked for me in January.

Doesn't work anymore. Just opened a cart to try them both and neither worked.

oncewasagolfer
16th March 2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for putting in the order for us Peppas was a good deal.

Peppas
16th March 2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks for putting in the order for us Peppas was a good deal.

No worries, hopefully the files from the repository on here work too :)

oncewasagolfer
16th March 2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah was just wondering that myself.

Peppas
16th March 2012, 04:16 PM
Yeah was just wondering that myself.

I guess for $50 a GPS it's pretty cheap regardless :)

oncewasagolfer
16th March 2012, 04:30 PM
Not wrong:) I suppose you would be able to manually map courses with one of these like you can do with the neo?

Peppas
16th March 2012, 04:41 PM
Not wrong:) I suppose you would be able to manually map courses with one of these like you can do with the neo?

Looks like you can - this unit only gives distances to front, centre and back of the green though :) You can't map hazards and stuff like that...

oncewasagolfer
16th March 2012, 05:33 PM
Looks like you can - this unit only gives distances to front, centre and back of the green though :) You can't map hazards and stuff like that...Oh ok i never really used that on the neo just pin positions should be fine.

Peppas
16th March 2012, 05:39 PM
Oh ok i never really used that on the neo just pin positions should be fine.

Should be all sweet then!

RobNewy
16th March 2012, 08:23 PM
ive got a GolfBuddy Platinum.
Not particularly cheap, but no subscription fees, and 40000+ course on it already.
Damn fine piece of machinary

oncewasagolfer
16th March 2012, 09:14 PM
ive got a GolfBuddy Platinum.Not particularly cheap, but no subscription fees, and 40000+ course on it already.Damn fine piece of machinary Never heard of that one Rob.

RobNewy
18th March 2012, 07:45 PM
Good bit of kit. Worth looking into

oncewasagolfer
1st April 2012, 03:35 PM
Would anyone with a igolf subscription be able to grab the shepparton and barham yardage pro files and upload them to the repository? Going on a little trip the next few days and would be handy to have the gps.