PDA

View Full Version : 5 wood or hybrid?

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
19th February 2012, 09:15 PM
Can people tell me what they pefer? of late i hae been getting better results the sq nike than my tm tp hybrid, so what do you play and why?

cheers

john

Choppa1
19th February 2012, 09:22 PM
I play a Callaway Big Bertha 5 wood and it is awsome - can ht it high, low, left and right, fairway or rough - haven't found a hybrid that I can do that with, and don't see the point of hybrids. Most I have tried have shafts that are too flexible for their weight - even the supposed "stiff" shafts. My vote is for 5 woods.

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
19th February 2012, 09:32 PM
i guess that i find also, it just feels bette to me, maybe the loo at adress, who knows :)

Croydo
19th February 2012, 09:38 PM
I used 5 wood for years but switched to hybrid, since I made the switch I haven't considered going back to the 5 wood.

dave1
20th February 2012, 12:15 AM
I ying and yang between the 2, I had an 19 deg adams super hybrid and loved it, over a few beers I sold it - well i swapped it for set of used gripmasters grips (8)

So I thn went and grabbed smallish 5 wood - titleist 906F4, its not much bigger than a hybrid and man I love it!!

can shape it so easily, I tended to hit hybrids too high 5 wood goes lower for mine

you can get hybrids that are like woods and vice versa woods that have a hybrid look and feel to them

LowTee
20th February 2012, 11:39 AM
Agree Dave have the same 5 wood and it works for me beter than a hybrid

Captain Nemo
21st February 2012, 12:16 PM
I only carry a 4 wood.
Till recently never thought of hybrids as in the past i have tried a few at demo days and could not hit them....
Lately ive been struggling with my 3 iron (have 3 par 3's 180+m) so 4 wood is too long.
I just bought 2 19* hybrid heads to test.
TM FCT, & TM Burner
Only shafted the Burner last night, but used the fct one on sunday.
2 shots 180+ and came out very nice......

dave1
21st February 2012, 11:23 PM
Agree Dave have the same 5 wood and it works for me beter than a hybrid Its a beauty.I just back off a smidgen if i need a 170m shot with it.

idgolfguy
22nd February 2012, 12:51 AM
5 wood looks better, easier to hit and manipulate.

dave1
22nd February 2012, 11:46 AM
For me 5 woods have to be small

Our course now has proper rough and plays as it should

I Have found a cheap 906f4 3 wood and will give it a try.Going to whack a x-con 5 reg shaft in it (used to be in my cobra driver)

I find on kike grass the smaller head woods work well.Also our course you rarely get a flat lie and for this reason also I find the small woods work better