PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going back to Helstra, talk me out of it.

gazgolf1
18th February 2012, 08:53 AM
I've had ADSL+2 Broadband with iinet for over 5 years with nary a drama, my speeds hover around 5-6 Mbps but rock solid stability and the bill with VOIP and line rental is around $100 per month.
Lo and behold I get a flyer in the mailbox from Helstra offering me http://www.telstra.com.au/latest_offers/actually/?red=/actually
S (http://www.telstra.com.au/latest_offers/actually/?red=/actually)eems like a good deal, it gets me a new Wifi cable modem (old one isn't) ,more quota, more speed plus a few bucks saved per month.
I was with Telstra years ago and frankly can't remember if it was good or bad.
What d ya reckon?

PeteyD
18th February 2012, 08:57 AM
I moved to helstra 6 months ago. Have now got ADSL 2+ finally. Happy with them. The fact that they speed limit rather than charge for exces downloads won me over.

Daves
18th February 2012, 09:02 AM
The cable service is a good one and usually super reliable. The downside is that you have to take a 24mth contract with them, which sucks in my experience, because they DGAF when you are under contract.

The Walrus
18th February 2012, 09:03 AM
What do iiNet offer if you resign with them? No new modem/router or better deals etc?

markTHEblake
18th February 2012, 10:40 AM
I am changing soon and most likely will go with Telstra, because;
- I am on a RIM and regardless its Telstras infrastructure and backhaul anyway so every provider will be the same quality/speed
- free AFL game downloads (and Foxtel via network if available)
- the copywrite 'police' dont send cease and desist letters to bigpond.
- prices are more competitive than they used to be
- better service when having faults, can be a nightmare when having phone problems and using rebillers.
- a 24 month contract does not bother me because that should get us pretty close to NBN
- bigpond has some pretty good file mirrors

Against:
- i can save $15pm by going with someone else
- T-box is not so great (so i hear)

Jarro
18th February 2012, 11:03 AM
We got a good deal with Telstra when we bundled our Foxtel into the equation.

Been with them a while now and haven't had any dramas

gazgolf1
18th February 2012, 01:21 PM
What do iiNet offer if you resign with them? No new modem/router or better deals etc?

From what I've heard on Whirlpool iinet are not interested in retention at all and their plans are falling behind in value compared to the competition.

Cosmopolite
18th February 2012, 01:30 PM
I am with Hellstra, contract finishes in a few months. No real problems with them except I think I am paying wayyyyyy too much. Will be looking for a cheaper contract somewhere. I pay for 25gig a month and only use about 8 max.

kunkie
18th February 2012, 11:11 PM
i have a mate that has just signed up with dodo, ADSL2+ Unlimited usage (true unlimited too by the looks of it), he will be paying $60/month including line rental, had to call them up to get this deal however... its a very tempting deal too. im on internode naked DSL with a voip phone & 150gb of data (up and down) and paying $55/month.

dodo apparently arent as bad as they used to be for support so i am told as well.

gazgolf1
19th February 2012, 08:39 AM
Just signed up for this via live chat, here's hoping the install is soon and there are no stuff ups. BTW I asked for and was given the new customer $20 credit.
Thanks for all the advice.