PDA

View Full Version : 4 man ambrose strategy

WBennett
17th February 2012, 01:39 PM
Everyone knows the best way to win a 4 man ambose comp is to cheat better than the other teams.

As I still have a shred of integrity left, I'm after your thoughts on the best playing order

My team is me - 11 (longest in the group but sprays it around)
A 16 marker (formerly off 6 but plays 5 rounds a year), long but more wayward
22 marker, long for his mark but wayward and would be off 16 if he could chip and putt
24 marker, hits it 160m but straight most of the time.

Do we play the banker first each hole, or let the 16 and 22 marking bombers have a go first.

I'm happy to go last, but is that the best way to play when all the pressure ends up on me?

We are going to let the putting struggler go first around the greens to try to get some sort of read. The other three of us should be able to get close between us....

wazandnic
17th February 2012, 01:54 PM
Yep traditionally we have always let the banker go first to "get one in play" and then the resto f us can bomb away... usually last about 7 or 8 holes until we realise that we should be about 6 under by then, then we tend to switch to "whatever"

rubin
17th February 2012, 02:10 PM
Normally we go the other way. Let the bombers have a crack first, and leave Mr reliable for last. Point worth remembering (especially as you have a shred of integrity ;) ) the order of play should remain the same the whole way through the round.

WBennett
17th February 2012, 02:15 PM
'the order of play should remain the same the whole way through the round. '?

Really? I did not know that but I've never played a proper 4 man event before!

rubin
17th February 2012, 02:17 PM
'the order of play should remain the same the whole way through the round. '?

Really? I did not know that

Someone said it to me a while ago (it may have been Simmsy - but i cant remember). I think thats only if your being a real stickler for the rules on the day, but it has said it in the rules of the day in all the Ambrose events i've played.

Having said that - i don;t know how many people actually follow that rule (or rules in general on ambrose days - sometimes its like an anything goes day......)

dc68
17th February 2012, 02:23 PM
There's a strategy?

Yossarian
17th February 2012, 02:33 PM
Cheat.

Johnny Canuck
17th February 2012, 02:40 PM
Simmsy wanted the order of play to remain the same because he and watty are anal like that. It has never been a condition of play in any Ambrose event.

mike
17th February 2012, 02:58 PM
Write down a lower score than you actually had.

Shadesy
17th February 2012, 03:01 PM
8 foot gimmes....

Peter
17th February 2012, 08:22 PM
Get hammered, post a (geniune) cricket score, and then loudly question the integrity of the 'winners' at the presentation.

PeteyD
17th February 2012, 09:43 PM
Drink More Piss.

dave1
17th February 2012, 11:26 PM
Get hammered, post a (geniune) cricket score, and then loudly question the integrity of the 'winners' at the presentation. X 2I have more chance of being stolen by aliens and whisked off to planet zion than winning an ambroseYup get tanked and take driver on every hole and try to hit the bejesus out if itThen flirt with the barmaids. Yup thats ambrose golf!

AlexMc
18th February 2012, 12:11 AM
Write down a lower score than you actually had.This strategy almost always wins any Ambrose. Only way to go.

TheTrueReview
18th February 2012, 06:00 AM
Play with a mindset that "everyone else cheats" so that only way to beat them fair & square is to cheat better. That seems to be my neighbour's strategy.

goughy
18th February 2012, 06:16 AM
This strategy almost always wins any Ambrose. Only way to go.

I thought this strategy comes second, as there is always some other group with less scruples!

Dotty
18th February 2012, 06:19 AM
... Yup get tanked and take driver on every hole and try to hit the bejesus out if it ...
Benno has perfected this already.

Another strategy is to tell the novice in your team that -10 net usually wins these events, your team has a handicap of 9, so you only need a birdie or two to win. Then sit back and watch him get excited as you get the third birdie and he starts calculating ahead. Keep the charade up through post-round drinks and into the presentation.

'You can actually pinpoint the second his heart rips in half!'

WBennett
19th February 2012, 06:40 PM
Just returned after a very good weekend at Mittagong in their annual 4 man ambrose event. The course was struggling after 12 inches of rain this week - the second was an absolute bog but most of the rest was ok. Considering the conditions, the course was in good nick.

They played 4 drives each, with a maximum of one <6 marker per team. Made it pretty nervewracking for the poor bloke who had the only shot on 11 (our 18th for the day)

Day 1 Cracked beers on the way to the course at 7am. Had 15 cans and a great day out. We made everything we could on day 1 to shoot 63 (net 55.something) to be in 12th, 3 off the pace.

Day 2 was more sober, hungover and circumspect. 3 birds, 2 bogies, 69.

Recommended to play if the NSW Ozgolf Boys want a good 'bonding' weekend away, and its only an hour from Sydney.

johnny b goode
19th February 2012, 07:16 PM
Normally we go the other way. Let the bombers have a crack first, and leave Mr reliable for last. Point worth remembering (especially as you have a shred of integrity ;) ) the order of play should remain the same the whole way through the round.

who made up that rule, sounds like the one where a mate tried telling me a straight always beats a flush:lol: