PDA

View Full Version : Using blades

chappy1970
10th February 2012, 01:19 PM
Just curious as to the common view on the following.

Is the ability to use a set of blades well all skill based or does this play one some golfers minds, therefore reducing their potential to use a set of blades effectively. Doe sthe type of blade play a major part?

I played off a middle single didgit mark for a while using a set of Cobra Tour Grind II blades, granted I practiced one night a week and had a game every weekend, but played my best golf with these. My playing schedule is reduced considerably these days (once every 2-3 weeks) due to a young family and all the joys that go with it, however I am gaming a set of Mizuno MP33's 3-PW and find these incredibly easy to hit, with good distance and control. I am still able to maintain a consistent 9 mark with these clubs and playing infrequently.

I have no desire or probably need to move to a cb set or god forbid a game improvement set to help with my game. Am I just playing a partularly easy set of blades at the moment?

Any thoughts???

paulyboy
10th February 2012, 01:34 PM
Nah, you just rock Chappy!

Steve57
10th February 2012, 01:50 PM
I'm 54 years of age Chappy and have just gone back to a set of Titleist 695MB's that I picked up off davepuppies on here and I am hitting the ball as well as ever.
I was using Callaway X forged 2007 model prior to these and the Titleist are better to hit as far as I am concerned.

matty
10th February 2012, 01:50 PM
No. I honestly believe it's in the head and people believing the golf company's marketing that blades are for a better player. With marketing like that people 'progress' through several sets before hitting blades, instead of playing with the one set for years. Probably why they were coined 'game improvement' irons.

After playing my first set of blades since the Ozgolf champs the miss hits, loss of distance on miss hits, are not any worse than gi irons. I just get a lot more instant feedback on where the ball hits on the face etc. If anything I've gotten an extra half a clubs length. The hits off the center of the face on a blade is however a beautiful feeling that you don't get in gi irons.

chappy1970
10th February 2012, 02:01 PM
Nah, you just rock Chappy!
Right back at ya Pauly

TourFit
10th February 2012, 02:27 PM
I think there is a bit of both in it.

What I mean is there is NO doubt that a blade iron will not be quite as forgiving as a perimeter weighted cavity back. At least not on an off-centre hit. From the centre of the clubface then it is no issue. Certainly most golfers could play the shorter irons in a blade with little to no difference...that is the main reason that mixed or progressive cb/mb sets usually have the 8 iron as a full blade. However, a mishit blade 3 iron will NOT perform as well as an equally mishit 3 iron that is a more forgiving head design.

Having said all that, it is also true that with todays CAD technology, the modern day blades are far easier to hit than they were 15-20 years ago. No question. So the Mizuno MP33 that Chappy used in his example is one of those well designed, CAD engineered, 'easier' to hit blade styles.

It also comes down to the strengths and weaknesses of each individual golfer. For example, not all 10 handicappers are the same. I hit my irons and putt pretty well, but my driving accuracy and chipping are letting me down...one of my mates is a gun from tee to green but putts and plays bunker shots like a 20 h'capper!!!

So there will be NO right or wrong answer...just some honest assessment of your own abilities and experimentation and measuring to see if it is true or not.

Go forth and ho...for blades!

idgolfguy
10th February 2012, 02:33 PM
Blades! Love them. You automatically adapt.

rubin
10th February 2012, 02:39 PM
Blades! Love them. You automatically adapt.

me too. i think it inspires confidence looking down at them.

edit: technically i don't game blades - but I do love them

paulyboy
10th February 2012, 02:43 PM
I tried some Mizuno blades, a few years ago, I don't remember the model, but they made the game way more difficult for me.
Happy now with my MX-300's. A good compromise I think.

goonie
10th February 2012, 02:55 PM
If you are a decent iron player and hit the middle of the club the majority of the time blades shouldn't be a problem, if not you may want to give them a miss.

I also got to my lowest hanidcap playing Hogan Apex blades.

I can't wait to get my R9 B stamps on the course, there not a traditional blade but they are best looking set of irons at address I have ever seen.

mortmudgee
10th February 2012, 03:10 PM
On the topic of blades,
From what I've heard here and else where, you have to be striking the ball consistently well to be able to use a set of blades. Myself I play a set of g10's and am definitely going through a bad ball striking phase. When I've tried blades before the feeling when you nail it in the middle is second to none. What are the main factors in ones golf swing that enhances your ability to strike the ball consistently? Or is it just practice and more practice?

oz
10th February 2012, 03:24 PM
If you are a decent iron player and hit the middle of the club the majority of the time blades shouldn't be a problem, if not you may want to give them a miss.

This.

I play the Tayoramde TP MB's - but only up to 5 iron. I hit the 3 - 4 irons sweetly enough, but I prefer the trajectory I get from the hybrids for those distances.

chappy1970
10th February 2012, 03:27 PM
Mortmudgee it certainly isn't practice for me.

I have simplified my swing to such a point where I am extremely confident with my blades, up to and including a 3 iron which I can heat dead straight and at length 8 out of 10 times, And the 2 misses aren't bad.

I think my mindset is also contributing to my good results with the Mizuno's, as I don't get to play as often as I used to, I seem to relish the limited opportunities that I get these days and this seems to translate to a better all round mindset and experience.

Not satisfied with playing a set of blades that is more than 7 years old, I have also put a 510TP driver in the bag with the awesome stock Speeder shaft and it is as consistent and long as the J33R that I used for a couple of seasons and sold in a moment of madness.

idgolfguy
10th February 2012, 03:35 PM
Playing golf to a low hc and striking a ball well don't necessarily mean you you have the ability to play blades. Golf is technique and feel.

If what you use does not intrinsically inspire confidence, you wont be successful. I strike the ball well but play off 12. I have used blades all my life but periodically go out and purchase more forgiving clubs. For me it doesn't work because I get lazy and blow out over a period of time.

It doesn't matter what I use, I still shoot the same scores because I make the same mistakes.

Blades give me more confidence and is a point of difference to the masses who believe otherwise.

...and they look better.

mortmudgee
10th February 2012, 03:48 PM
i must admit the g10's are not the most attractive club at address

simmsy
10th February 2012, 03:52 PM
I'm wanting a set of MP 59 currently play Adams A4. Hoping I can handle them.

Would it be prudent to maybe purchase a cheaper set of players irons before I shell out the bigger coin on the Mizzys.

Steve57
10th February 2012, 03:55 PM

Would it be prudent to maybe purchase a cheaper set of players irons before I shell out the bigger coin on the Mizzys.

I would be, if not at least demo the Mizzy's a few times before buying.

simmsy
10th February 2012, 03:57 PM
on the hunt!

timah!
10th February 2012, 04:00 PM
Golf should be fun. Play the hell what you want. Not everyone has goals of shooting par. Or playing off scratch. If you want to play blades then do it. If you want to play chunky GI's then do it. If you walk off the course having had a good round, whether that be a good score or a good time with your mates, whatever your aims are, then who cares.

simmsy
10th February 2012, 04:55 PM
mizzy mp30's anyone?

Courty
10th February 2012, 05:18 PM
I've had various combo sets over the years ('05 RAC TP Combo, Titleist ZB, MP32/52) and am in the middle of setting up and Adams combo set with my existing CB1s and Adams Forged MBs (ex PTP & Solarman). While waiting for some work to be done on the CB1s, I threw the full set of MBs in the bag as a temporary thing. I've never considered myself a particularly good iron player, and have hence have never bothered with MBs in the longer clubs, but I have been pleasantly surprised how easy the 4 & 5 have been to hit.

TourFit
10th February 2012, 05:40 PM

Since when are you prudent...?

But by all means, go spend money on an interim set...then go spend more on the Mizzy's...then find out you can't play said Mizzy's and sell them at a loss...then buy another driver!!!

simmsy
10th February 2012, 06:16 PM
you could just sell me your MP60's it's not like you haven't got another 23 sets to fill their place.

that would be a good thing to do for the people of perth.

tommyg
10th February 2012, 06:36 PM
Nah simmsy... if its mp59's youve got your heart set on, splash out and buy em. At your age you never know how many rounds of golf youve got left in ya.

Oh... and dibs.

oncewasagolfer
10th February 2012, 08:02 PM
I put the mp33's I bought from virge before Xmas in the bag for the first time today. This is the 3rd set of these I have had and after using i15's the blades certainly feel a lot better when hit in the middle but on mishits they are punishing of course. I actually hit a couple of half shanks which I don't do with the i15's but I suppose the clubface is a lot more compact. I would like to start using them but I'm not very consistent with my ball striking so might have to stick for the pings for the time being.

Ferrins
10th February 2012, 08:07 PM
I prefer blades because there easier to clean, other than that all the different clubs feel the same to me.

IanO
10th February 2012, 09:37 PM
I had a combo titleist 710 MB & CB set and loved them but still sold them to buy a set of Miura CB's
Play whatever feels good I say

idgolfguy
11th February 2012, 01:42 AM
you could just sell me your MP60's it's not like you haven't got another 23 sets to fill their place.that would be a good thing to do for the people of perth. Ive got a set or two of blades including the MP67s you can try.

dave1
11th February 2012, 01:46 AM
really miss my cobra MB's

they were sweet to hit, I cant practice much these day (Kids work Life) so that was that

and if youre not playing well blades can make you look like a complete goose

TheTrueReview
11th February 2012, 08:39 AM
i must admit the g10's are not the most attractive club at address

Neither do I ( I game player's cavity backs) but perhaps we all should. I saw Frances Bondad's WITB at the Ladies Masters last week - all irons were the game improvement model. Touring pros commonly use GI irons for their long irons & let's not get onto the hybrid debate. I scratch my head at why a lot of club golfers, with their club choices, put themselves to a higher standard of difficulty than does the touring pro. :-k

davepuppies
11th February 2012, 09:01 AM
i really like the look of them (especially in the bag)

I have used 690.mbs and 695mbs in recent years, but being totally honest with myself i shoot better scores with my AP2s.

When i am practicing regularly and swing good i found with blades i was able to manipulate the trajectory better, and felt like i could be more precise.

The AP2s felt more like a blunt object, but in the end i dont have time to practice so i resigned to AP2s.

dave1
11th February 2012, 10:30 AM
if you ever get a chance to hit some cobra MB's do it, quite forgiving and best looking balde I have seen at adress

lite shafts suits them too, I had stiff ns pros in them,

god I miss them ...silly stupid me!!

simmsy
11th February 2012, 10:42 AM
Ive got a set or two of blades including the MP67s you can try.

with you ID it's not the blade that scares me it's the 7.5 flex shafts :shock::shock::D

dave1
11th February 2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah.

And bizzaringly (new word) he hits them well

:-? :-)

idgolfguy
11th February 2012, 06:46 PM
with you ID it's not the blade that scares me it's the 7.5 flex shafts :shock::shock::DMy Srixon Pro-100s are Rifle 5.0s. The X-Prototypes are 6.5s. The MP 37 and 67s are DGS300. Thr others are 6.0s.Personally, I'd lend you the Pro-100s because they are better than the Mizuno, take them to 'Fit and get them adjusted. Bend them back when finshed.You can use my Wilson FG17s but they would be harder.

simmsy
11th February 2012, 06:55 PM
I might take u up on that ID.
maybe get them off u later this month.

Cheers.

idgolfguy
11th February 2012, 07:02 PM
No prob mate.

Chris32
11th February 2012, 07:05 PM
Had my MP32's for coming up 3 years. As a once a month if I'm lucky golfer, I don't have any problems with them and they are in for as long as I can see

Ball striking is never been a issue with me, it's always my short game, that said I don't consider myself to be a great iron player

In all honesty having owned all sorts of clubs, I don't honestly feel that blade irons should be held in such regard as they are, and I'd encourage anyone to try them for themselves!

braddles
11th February 2012, 07:22 PM
I go back and forward between Titleist 710MBs and 710 AP2s. The AP2s are much more forgiving, however I seem to hit the blades closer. I sometimes struggle with the AP2s in the wind. I could use either and it probably wouldn't change my scores.

I think the thin soles on the blades just suit my swing. If I could get a set of AP2s with thinner soles I would probably play them.

aym
12th February 2012, 09:43 PM
I tried some Mizuno blades, a few years ago, I don't remember the model, but they made the game way more difficult for me.
Happy now with my MX-300's. A good compromise I think.

that is exactly what I did, and mine wasn't even full blades, mp50s I think, then I went to the mx300, main difference for me was the long irons, the looks of a blade was beautiful and inspired confidence, but didn't inspired any skills. I am a much better ball striker now, but still wouldn't mind a bigger sweet spot in the long irons, and I reckon with blades you have to be hitting dead in the centre to get the same distance to a cavity back iron.

dave1
13th February 2012, 01:53 AM
I go back and forward between Titleist 710MBs and 710 AP2s. The AP2s are much more forgiving, however I seem to hit the blades closer. I sometimes struggle with the AP2s in the wind. I could use either and it probably wouldn't change my scores.I think the thin soles on the blades just suit my swing. If I could get a set of AP2s with thinner soles I would probably play them. I also played better with blades in the windEasier to control height of shots

virge666
13th February 2012, 08:35 AM
I also played better with blades in the windEasier to control height of shots

I dont... the wind just seems to magnify every little mistake I make with blades, Much rather have a player cavity in the wind... I can hit the higher and lower shots - but my distance control is ay better on a mishit IMO.

I guess it is a preference and a trade off . . . easier to hit it different heights vs has to be perfect shot or you lose 10m.

I like the idea of playing with Cav's and practicing with blades.... sort of leaning towards this...

backintheswing
13th February 2012, 09:23 AM
I prefer my J36 blades over the J36 cavs, as the cavs seem to want to draw a lot more. I only play 4 iron up, so its not like we are hitting 2 irons anymore.

TourFit
13th February 2012, 06:45 PM
I might take u up on that ID.
maybe get them off u later this month.

Cheers.

I have a set of Dynacraft 1030b's with Nippon 1050 S in them simmsy...they'll be a touch lighter than the Rifle 5's in the Srixons, and play softer too.

Just a thought! If interested in trying them out (if only to see how you HIT blades) your welcome to try. I could have them for you Wed when you pick up the driver!

dave1
13th February 2012, 07:56 PM
I dont... the wind just seems to magnify every little mistake I make with blades, Much rather have a player cavity in the wind... I can hit the higher and lower shots - but my distance control is ay better on a mishit IMO.I guess it is a preference and a trade off . . . easier to hit it different heights vs has to be perfect shot or you lose 10m.I like the idea of playing with Cav's and practicing with blades.... sort of leaning towards this... Yup good ideaImproves ball striking.

Polymer
13th February 2012, 08:51 PM
Mortmudgee it certainly isn't practice for me.

I have simplified my swing to such a point where I am extremely confident with my blades, up to and including a 3 iron which I can heat dead straight and at length 8 out of 10 times, And the 2 misses aren't bad.

I think my mindset is also contributing to my good results with the Mizuno's, as I don't get to play as often as I used to, I seem to relish the limited opportunities that I get these days and this seems to translate to a better all round mindset and experience.

Not satisfied with playing a set of blades that is more than 7 years old, I have also put a 510TP driver in the bag with the awesome stock Speeder shaft and it is as consistent and long as the J33R that I used for a couple of seasons and sold in a moment of madness.

If you're hitting everything up to your 3i dead on..and at worst the 3i is missing 2 times out of 10 with not bad misses...Your HDCP should probably be better than that..or your driving is poor or putting is poor...

That said, MP33s are pretty fantastic and for blades, relatively forgiving....They play great..feel great. I prefer the MP14s because I think the 8-PW on that set are the best ever...but the MP33s are really good as well...

Your bag looks a lot like mine did...but a LONG time ago...The 510TP, while a fantastic driver (I've hit some of my longest ever with it), it is just not as forgiving...It is also not as straight.. When I say forgiving, I'm not even talking about mishits...but hitting it where you're getting near optimal launch numbers for your drive..on a consistent basis. For that, the newer drivers are just far better.

Same w/ the Sonartec...I love the SS03...but the newer fwy woods.., especially in the last couple of years I'd say...have been really good. Deep faced but far easier to hit off the deck...

Anyways...Play what you like..that is the most important thing....I care a lot about my clubs but I don't care what anyone else thinks about them...

virge666
13th February 2012, 09:00 PM
What Poly says...

idgolfguy
13th February 2012, 10:48 PM
Anyways...Play what you like..that is the most important thing....I care a lot about my clubs but I don't care what anyone else thinks about them... Best answer ever when it comes to blade or not.

chappy1970
14th February 2012, 09:30 AM
Poly thank you for your frank assessment of my HCP and it's lack of movement, and also my bag setup. I enjoy the using clubs I carry and find that I get good results considering the amount I play.

I don't really feel the need to counter your critique (without you actually knowing me or my game), but suffice to say that I am now a non playing member at my home club (for personal reasons) and my opportunity to play in comp rounds is extrmely limited. But hey your entitled to your opinion

dave1
18th February 2012, 08:21 PM
I actually found blades ok

my bad shot with a blade was a thin shot and thin for me is usually a low tracer bullet shot and it ends of near the green anyways

That said i switched to small pocket cavity back (MP 52's) which are like muscle backs really and are forgiving enough because my practice time was slashed because of work changing

I so agree on what chappy said

play what you feel is right for you and what looks right at address for you

oncewasagolfer
18th February 2012, 10:18 PM
Installed new grips on the blades and putt them in the bag today. I was quite happy hit a few loose shots but that's nothing new:) I have better control of the trajectory with the blades think I will keep them in for a while.

990B Luva
19th February 2012, 12:20 AM
I played blades for about 2 years before I walked away from golf, and I've just bought a 2nd set of them after getting back into it about 3 months ago. I don't think I could go back to a standard CB, I feel too comfortable looking down on a blade.

Bruce
20th February 2012, 01:14 PM
What are the best of the blended options now or in the last generation? A few 70-something rounds has me wondering if a change might be in order.

Yossarian
20th February 2012, 01:19 PM
Bridgestone combos I reckon!

Courty
20th February 2012, 01:43 PM
Titleist ZBs

Webster
20th February 2012, 01:50 PM
TM300's Bruce. They set up like blades but are a little easier to hit due to the slightly longer blade.

Im surprised there hasnt been much discussion on the amount of offset that comes into play with blades. In my view, the offset or lack thereof is what pricipally determines how easy the blades are to hit. Even a small amount of offset makes a big difference in playability and much moreso than they design of the blade or where the weight is (muscle back or cavity etc).

chappy1970
20th February 2012, 02:15 PM
Bruce you can have a hit with mine if you so desire

Peppas
20th February 2012, 03:36 PM
TM300's Bruce. They set up like blades but are a little easier to hit due to the slightly longer blade.

Im surprised there hasnt been much discussion on the amount of offset that comes into play with blades. In my view, the offset or lack thereof is what pricipally determines how easy the blades are to hit. Even a small amount of offset makes a big difference in playability and much moreso than they design of the blade or where the weight is (muscle back or cavity etc).

I'm interested in why this is? My cavities that I play at the moment have almost no offset, but the blades a heap more...