PDA

View Full Version : Choose some cheapish .355 taper shafts for irons.

nadg63
8th February 2012, 06:24 PM
I keep a set of irons in the uk, Mizuno MX-23's, for when I'm over there on hols: am looking to put some different shafts in them, (longer), so have been cruising ebay to see whats on offer.

I have found Project X 5.0 Flighted, TT Black Gold Reg, other TT shafts in reg, DG Lite, DG XP R300, and something out of left field some TT TX90's in stiff flex, (these are from UK sellers to make life easier!)

Here, my iron sets have Nippon NS Pro's in them 950's in a couple of sets and 1050's in the other - all reg flex.

Will be buying sight unseen, and having them fitted before I arrive in June.

Which do I go for! (timinsa has already voted PX FL's over Black Golds, but compared to the others!?)

Ferrins
8th February 2012, 06:35 PM
Project X 5.0 Flighted

nadg63
8th February 2012, 07:34 PM
Project X 5.0 Flighted

Cheers Ferrins, PX FL's look the go then - just got to try and source some more now as the ones I had lined up turned out to be NBG, listed as '.355 tapers' but all the shafts were 42" long .............. ! (thanks for the heads up on that one Tim! :) )

Ferrins
8th February 2012, 07:44 PM
Got them in my MP67's and previously had NSpro 950GH in the Srixons 506's. If you have never tried them then I would give them a go. Slow and smooth gets me the best results, when I try to thump it then big trouble. The swing I'm referring to is like when you lay up with a 7 iron short of a water hazard.

nadg63
8th February 2012, 08:00 PM
Got them in my MP67's and previously had NSpro 950GH in the Srixons 506's. If you have never tried them then I would give them a go. Slow and smooth gets me the best results, when I try to thump it then big trouble. The swing I'm referring to is like when you lay up with a 7 iron short of a water hazard.

Sounds ideal for me then, I am officially a 'lazy' golfer swing wise - the pro told me so! :-)

Ferrins
8th February 2012, 08:04 PM
If they don't work out then buy something else and bring those MX23 back for me;)

nadg63
8th February 2012, 08:33 PM
If they don't work out then buy something else and bring those MX23 back for me;)

Ha ha! Could sell them 10x over back here I reckon! In not too bad a condition as only get used for 6 weeks every 2 years, (have JPX800 Pro's to mess with here, fitted with the NS950's - if I manage to find more PX's and I do like them maybe I will bring them back to try in the JPX's!?))

nadg63
11th February 2012, 11:47 AM
Still no joy on the Project X search; well I have found some but they are in the States and there seems to be a lot of conjecture going on over there as to the amount of fake PX shafts being sold. This seller has heaps of positive feedback saying the shafts are legit, but also some neg feedback saying they're not ....................... as they would be going straight to the UK sight unseen by me don't think I want to risk it!?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/golfbestbuy-usa/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

As the shafts are for a bit of an experiment I do not want to be paying full retail for them, hence looking on the bay of E, but also do not want to end up with useless junk due to cost cutting. (vicious circle!)

So back to what to buy!? Suggestions once more please.

I can get a brand new LEGIT set of TT Black Golds 3-PW tapers at $60, and these were supposedley aimed at the same market as the PX range!?

Is anyone actually using this shaft? What do you think?

Daves
13th February 2012, 08:06 PM
Still no joy on the Project X search; well I have found some but they are in the States and there seems to be a lot of conjecture going on over there as to the amount of fake PX shafts being sold. This seller has heaps of positive feedback saying the shafts are legit, but also some neg feedback saying they're not ....................... as they would be going straight to the UK sight unseen by me don't think I want to risk it!?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/golfbestbuy-usa/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

As the shafts are for a bit of an experiment I do not want to be paying full retail for them, hence looking on the bay of E, but also do not want to end up with useless junk due to cost cutting. (vicious circle!)

So back to what to buy!? Suggestions once more please.

I can get a brand new LEGIT set of TT Black Golds 3-PW tapers at $60, and these were supposedley aimed at the same market as the PX range!?

Is anyone actually using this shaft? What do you think?

I have just bought a set of these PX shafts, they arrived today. The serial numbers don't match across the set, but they tell you that they have been repackaged in the ads. If they are fake, they are exceptionally good ones imo. Lengths and weights check out and they look the part.

nadg63
13th February 2012, 08:22 PM
I have just bought a set of these PX shafts, they arrived today. The serial numbers don't match across the set, but they tell you that they have been repackaged in the ads. If they are fake, they are exceptionally good ones imo. Lengths and weights check out and they look the part.

Thanks Daves, might have to reconsider!?

Daves
13th February 2012, 08:42 PM
I just did some further close inspection and nothing is coming up as being wrong so far. I have an ex Titleist fitting cart iron with the same shaft and flex in it, and the labels match exactly, right down to the position on the shaft. I compared the 6 iron shaft to the one the demo and again they look identical. I wonder if there is somewhere to check out the serial numbers?

nadg63
13th February 2012, 08:49 PM
I just did some further close inspection and nothing is coming up as being wrong so far. I have an ex Titleist fitting cart iron with the same shaft and flex in it, and the labels match exactly, right down to the position on the shaft. I compared the 6 iron shaft to the one the demo and again they look identical. I wonder if there is somewhere to check out the serial numbers?

Which version did you go for Daves? (PX 5.0 FL is the one I need to get)

Daves
13th February 2012, 08:53 PM
Which version did you go for Daves? (PX 5.0 FL is the one I need to get)

The 5.5 unflighteds.

nadg63
14th February 2012, 05:06 PM
The 5.5 unflighteds.

Let me know how you go with them once fitted Daves ............. curious now.

cobra
14th February 2012, 08:45 PM

Ferrins

interested in your thoughts on the Nippons in the 506s or mp 30s
I have a set of mp30s with DGS300 and also srixon 506s with DGR300
have a set of cobra 3100 with nippons 1050 and considering which set to put them on
love both mp30 and 506s but consider they would both suit me better with the Nippons
interested to hear your thoughts ?? as to which way i should go

nadg63
18th February 2012, 06:12 PM
Have to admit I ended up going with a set of the TT Black Golds, due to a couple of reasons.

Firstly, with the seemingly large amount of fake Project X shafts supposedley kicking around on EBay USA at the moment, I just didn't fancy taking the risk, (even though Daves has recently bought a set from the outlet I was looking into and is happy with them).

Secondly, I stumbled upon a brand new uncut set ot the TTBG's already in the UK, (so no import tax to pay as you do over there :lol: ) and they were located not far from my brother ;)

Having read the various reviews, I got the impression that although the PX and BG's are kinda similiar, the BG's are probably more suited to a 'swinger' rather than a 'hitter' - as I fall under the category of 'lazy' I will have to see where that falls!?

At the end of the day, they are just an experiment, if they work all well and good, (maybe I'd then bring them back with me), but if not will just re-sell or let my brother have them! (doing the experiment with the MX-23's I have over there as didn't want to be pulling apart the irons I have here, just got to wait until June to get to try them - but somehow I think they'll have been out in my brother's bag before then ................. !)

dave1
18th February 2012, 09:33 PM

I have tried Ns pros in 506's and cobra MB's and agree 100%

this shafted suited these heads for me anyways

despite the ns pros being lite the ball doesnt baloon