PDA

View Full Version : Lefty looking for some advice

brizzytim
6th February 2012, 11:04 AM
I am just getting back into golf after a knee reconstruction a year ago. I was playing with my old clubs (4-SW) I used back during high school. I decided to get a few lessons and the pro suggested I look at changing irons because my old ones were far too short and L flex shafts. I managed to trade them in for a set of titlest cb775's 3-GW that so far seem good. I already had a 10.5 (callaway ftiz) driver and 20deg hybrid (ping G15). Now I'm looking to fill the gaps left in my bag.

I have a 10deg gap in the top end for which I was thinking of getting 15deg 3 wood. Although I realised it is a bit redundant having a 20deg hybrid and 3 iron as they are the same loft and perhaps I should look at getting a longer 17deg hybrid and a 13deg fairway wood.

My PW is 45 and my GW is 52 (both 8 bounce) so I have picked up a second hand 56.11 spin milled vokey as a sand wedge. How many people play with lob wedges? I tend to roam around to different courses so encounter varied conditions and was thinking a 60.8 might be good for harder less fluffy greenside lies and would round out the bag nicely. I am just not sure if is really needed and worth the coin.

A bit about me 23, male. Tend to hit mid 90's low 100's, my aim for this year is to try and break 90 consistently. I am currently working on a driver slice that is giving me a bit of grief. Due to this I have been favoring my hybrid more even off the tee. So even if I had a 3 wood at this stage I would probably go for a hybrid off the deck. But I think as I get more confidence this will change. Other than that my irons and short game has improved substantially after my last couple of lessons.

It's so frustrating being a lefty and seeing all these great deals on second hand gear in the pro shop but all for right handers. If any other lefty's have some clubs that fit these descriptions or want to do a trade let me know.

Any advice or insight is appreciated.
Cheers
Tim

Daves
6th February 2012, 11:13 AM
Welcome Tim. I assume from your user name you are in Brizzy?.

I agree on the benefits of a lob wedge for claypan bunkers, the lower the bounce the better imo. They are also handy if the lies tend to be very tight around the greens. I play 52 and 56 degree wedges (47 degree PW), but will swap to 54 and 60 if I feel thje Lobby is needed.

Iam a lefty also (see my witb). Whether to carry Hybrids or a 5 wood tend to be a personal choice. Myself, I carry 3W, 2H, 3H and 4H and 5 to PW.

brizzytim
6th February 2012, 01:27 PM
Yeah Daves, I'm over near Indro.

Wow, that is a solid collection. You must need some sort of golf shed/shrine to store it all.

I see you have 2 60.08 SM vokeys would you be looking to offload one at all?

You also have a quite an array of driver/woods/hybrids and shafts. How much better do you hit the clubs in your bag than the ones you choose to keep on the bench.? You have obviously found what works for you through a lot of trial and error. I can imagine this is quite a time consuming and costly process. For a higher scorer like me how much do think specific brands and clubs matter or change ball flight/performance? I think at this stage as long as it has the right flex and length shaft that it shouldn't matter too much. My driver and hybrid were a bit of an impulse buy without trying many others out, the fact they were quite cheap probably forced my hand.

I have been seeing Jim Barden at Vic park and so far things have been going well.

Daves
7th February 2012, 10:35 AM
We have a very large triple garage Tim!

Not looking to offload a spare Vokey at this stage, it is an old grooves spare.

I am retired and get to play regularly and also get to hit the range pretty regularly, so I get plenty of opportunities to compare gear. What is in my bag doesn't change all the often actually, but I do hit a lot of my spares regularly. There is often only a small difference between the clubs and final choice tends to be a personal/confidence thing I find.

Brands is also a personal thing for me. I am not a fan of TM gear for me, we just don't seem to match up well, but I have seen plenty of others that TM seems to suit perfectly. I find you can adapt over time to different club set ups and shafts to a degree, not the way to go but explains how many manage to play with clubs that aren't necessarily right for them.

I don't know Jim, but from what I have heard the crew over at Vic Park are pretty good overall. Jim should be able to advise you on your clubs suitability.

brizzytim
7th February 2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks daves,

Can you recommend any places around Brissy that are better than others for second hand left handed gear? I posted in the pro shop to see If anyone on here had what I am after.

At what point do you think one benefits from changing/doctoring shafts ect? I think it would be safe to say at my point right now my time and money is probably better focused on practice and lessons rather than gear. Although probably like most on here I can't stop looking at online golf stores.

How do you find the 910H 17deg It seems similar to what I am looking for? I have also noticed a few adams in the 17deg range.

virge666
7th February 2012, 11:39 AM
Global Golf and 3 Balls for 2nd Hand gear.

cant go wrong...

brizzytim
7th February 2012, 11:45 AM
I have my first shipment from global waiting for me at home. Its like Christmas all over again.

virge666
7th February 2012, 11:48 AM
I have my first shipment from global waiting for me at home. Its like Christmas all over again.

I love that feeling...

way better than getting the card and having to wait another 2 days . . . .

Daves
7th February 2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks daves,

Can you recommend any places around Brissy that are better than others for second hand left handed gear? I posted in the pro shop to see If anyone on here had what I am after.

At what point do you think one benefits from changing/doctoring shafts ect? I think it would be safe to say at my point right now my time and money is probably better focused on practice and lessons rather than gear. Although probably like most on here I can't stop looking at online golf stores.

How do you find the 910H 17deg It seems similar to what I am looking for? I have also noticed a few adams in the 17deg range.

Golf Clearance Outlet at the Gabba have lots of cheap superseded (new) stuff. Used stuff, not a lot of choice, a bit of pot luck mostly. eBay and the Pro Shop is your friend.

The 910H is a bit of a weapon actually, but not the easiest Hybrid to hit compared to some. The beauty of the 910s is you can dial it down to 16.25* or up to 17.75 or 18.25 in need.

Unless you get fitted, shafts are going to be a bit of trial and error, yes.