PDA

View Full Version : Requesting an Adjustment of Handicap

WeekendHacker
3rd February 2012, 04:26 PM
I was wondering if I could get the forums thoughts on a scenario.

A member of a club with a par of 62 joins a new club with a par of 72. Before joining their new course they had a handicap of 5.9 which is their anchor score. At the new club, after only 6 months and 6 rounds, they are lucky to be playing to 12. If the played approached the handicapper and asked for their handicap to be adjusted as they are struggling to play off of 6 at the new course would the handicapper be within his rights to politely ignore this request as even worth looking at?

3oneday
3rd February 2012, 04:30 PM
I'd ignore it, handicaps should be reflective everywhere.

Webster
3rd February 2012, 04:31 PM
6 rounds in 6 months is hardly enough to hold your form.

WBennett
3rd February 2012, 04:45 PM
Handicaps used to reflect your best golf, not your normal golf.Tell him to get his 20 rounds in and harden up. 8 from 20, its the same for everyone.

Daves
3rd February 2012, 04:52 PM
They normally will only review a handicap if there are medical reasons, and/or some new permanent or semi permanent disability. As others have said, if he get another 14 rounds up his handicap should then reflect his form anyway.

Minor_Threat
3rd February 2012, 05:00 PM
Agree with the above comments.

Usually these adjustments are only honoured for medical reasons!

sms316
3rd February 2012, 05:07 PM
Par 62 courses are usually more difficult for lower handicap golfers anyway.

jimandr
3rd February 2012, 07:17 PM
When I saw this thread title I thought it might be a story the other way, where the good player from the good course was blitzing the short course, but the best 8 hadn't caught him yet.

I haven't broken 30 in my last six games, and actually lost a shot when the best 10 went to best 8, but I'm only whinging about the fact that I'm a useless golfer.

The experience of my course has been the exact opposite. The Open Day winners are often players from mickey mouse courses like Bexley and Hurstville, that would probably rate 3 under their par.

I also share SMS's view about the low handicap player. Most of them can play to the same cap anywhere, and it is the ACR under par that makes the low handicap harder to maintain at the easy course than at the harder one.

dave1
3rd February 2012, 08:49 PM
Par 62 courses are usually more difficult for lower handicap golfers anyway.

agree trying to play off a 2 on course is hard!!

sms316
3rd February 2012, 08:54 PM
agree trying to play off a 2 on course is hard!! Try parring a dozen par threes. **** all chance.

Webster
3rd February 2012, 08:56 PM
You dont get a whole new handicap just 'cos you are playing like crap!

sms316
3rd February 2012, 08:59 PM
Dong?

dc68
3rd February 2012, 09:59 PM
Try parring a dozen par threes. **** all chance.

+1

Rodent
4th February 2012, 09:38 AM
Tiger Woods PGA Tour career stats......approximately 3 under for par 3's..........approximately 1500 under for par 5's. Saw that stat the other day on TV. Par 62's with no par 5's with an ACR s few shots under par wouldn't be easy for a low marker.

WeekendHacker
6th February 2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks to all for the input. I think a nice decline is the way to go here.

Iain
6th February 2012, 08:33 AM
Won't he only go out 4 shots above his anchor score?

Daves
6th February 2012, 08:41 AM
Won't he only go out 4 shots above his anchor score?

In 12 months from anchor score date, true. Their anchor score is now 6 month old, so anchor will change. And at their current rate of play it is going to take them the best part of 2 years to get 20 rounds up anyway.