PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Handicap

The Pieman
1st February 2012, 10:52 PM
Hey Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post it but I will put it here anyways.

Well I have decided that I need to get a Handicap after putting together a few solid scores.

But I don't have a home club and see that Golf Link is a way to go about it?

Am I still able to get a certain number of cards signed off by players with handicap and go from there? Or do I need to play a certain amount of games at the same course?

Would love some help to get a handicap and see where I am at.

Thanks
The Pieman

WeekendHacker
2nd February 2012, 07:58 AM
Pieman,

You need to be a member of a club or association that is reconised as a bona-fide body by Golf Australia. These clubs and associations are then able to issue you with a Golflink number which is the start to obtaining an Australian Golf Handicap. The club or association then becomes your home club and can process your initial cards via Golflink so that you can get a recognised Australian Golf Handicap. 3 cards is all you need from any club to get a handicap. All cards must be marked and signed by someone who is a current member of any golf club or accociation recognised by Golf Australia and needs to include their member number and date of play.

Good luck mate hope this helps.

goughy
2nd February 2012, 08:09 AM
I don't know of this is changed or not, years ago my club allowed me to submit cards for handicapping purposes that were played as a social round but were marked by a club member. But in general the rounds you play will be competition rounds at your home or other club, and certainly once you have a hc you'll have to play comp rounds to maintain it. Aussie is not like the US where they can input social rounds for hc'ing

Dotty
2nd February 2012, 08:55 AM
If you don't want to be a golf club member for a GolfLink handicap, then a lot of social golf clubs use GolfAccess. (Essentially the same, and both managed by Golf Australia.)

Our work social golf club has this. Half are once-a-monthers, who get the handicap and third-party insurance for around $100 per year, via GolfAccess. (The rest of us use our club GolfLink and compete on a level playing field.)

Often RSL/Leagues/bowling clubs, pubs and some companies have social golf clubs that you could join.

I also read about Bushrangers Golf down in Victoria, which sounds ideal for you. Google them, have a few games and let us know how you get on.

The Pieman
2nd February 2012, 11:31 AM
Okay thanks for the replies.

Do the 3 rounds have to be at the same course? Do they have to be in competition?

I can't, say, sign up to Golf Access and play 3 rounds at 3 home courses of players that have handicaps to get enough cards? This is social golf.

Dotty
2nd February 2012, 11:53 AM
You won't have a handicap, so you won't be able to enter competitions, therefore it has to be social rounds.

It's three cards at any course, provided the rules of golf are followed (ie. no prefered lies, no mulligans, no gimmes, etc.) and signed for by a player with a GolfLink/GolfAccess handicap.

My brother just did this recently at three Adelaide courses, when over there to see a few mates. His NSW club accepted these.

The Pieman
2nd February 2012, 11:58 AM
Brilliant! Looks like I will sign up with Golf Access, as its the easiest way for me to keep a golf handicap without signing up to a club.

I think the old man might have landed me some games with some of his 'older' friends at Long Island and Huntingdale. My handicap should be interesting at these places.

Dotty
2nd February 2012, 12:06 PM
Sounds good.

My brother did the same, from the back markers at top Adelaide courses and they calculated a handicap of 11. (He used to play off 2-3 before kids, and still takes out scratch events, when allowed out every three months for a trade or charity day.)

Holden Scramble, here we come.

golfbound
2nd February 2012, 12:25 PM
I can provide golflink handicaps but the home club name would be Amputee Golf and they are $110.00