PDA

View Full Version : Whipper Snippers

Peppas
31st January 2012, 10:54 PM
Anyone got any good recommendations for a good petrol whipper snipper? I have a heap of weeds and crap I want to cut down and I burnt out my old one :)

I've been leaning towards getting a Stihl, looks like they have some decent specials on at the moment...

Jarro
31st January 2012, 10:55 PM
Ryobi make good ones too.

I've had three of them over the years and they were truly good servants :)

IamViva
31st January 2012, 10:59 PM
4 stroke honda straight shaft, had mine 4 years and never missed a beat, they are around $399 but atleast they'll go the distance

Peppas
31st January 2012, 11:07 PM
Ryobi make good ones too.

I've had three of them over the years and they were truly good servants :)

Haha I had an electric Ryobi, I thought it was only a smallish area to trim and it'd be fine. Wrong. Busted the head up on it after about 4 months so they gave me a pro cut head, then after a few more goes the pro cut head wouldn't let me push in more line so I had to take it apart and put in bits of line then screw it all back up again. Then a few more times after that I burnt out the motor :) Mind you I did take off the little guard thingy which keeps the cutting width manageable...

Peppas
31st January 2012, 11:09 PM
4 stroke honda straight shaft, had mine 4 years and never missed a beat, they are around $399 but atleast they'll go the distance

I was thinking about a 4 stroke but they seem to be quite expensive, though $399 seems cheap for a 4 stroke Honda? Might have to look into that one. I was looking to spend about $250 to $300 max for a whipper snipper but maybe I could stop buying golf related items for a few months :)

AndyP
31st January 2012, 11:13 PM
I've had a Stihl for about 10 years. The plastic handle for the lower hand is broken, but besides that it keeps going without trouble (and no servicing). Admittedly, it hasn't had a heavy load, but it's done well, and only recently seems to cut out. I give it a rest, then fire it up again. It's probably something simple to fix, but I couldn't be bothered.

dave1
31st January 2012, 11:50 PM
I have a stihl - does the business

Like using on a hot day - good workout.

Never had an issue.

hocko
31st January 2012, 11:57 PM
Buy a sheep!

Ned
31st January 2012, 11:58 PM
Homelite Brush Cutter. Made by Ryobi. Bunnings have them for around $200 I think,

Comes with auto line feeder, separate blade for heavy duty work, they are 2 stroke but are straight bar configuration.

Not big, bulky or heavy, even the boys and the Mrs's can use it.

mike
1st February 2012, 12:03 AM
I've had a Stihl since 1989. Unbreakable. Has done a ton of work. Starts no problem every time.

If they still have the same build quality these days (no reason to think otherwise) they are the best option.

3oneday
1st February 2012, 05:32 AM
I had a stihl, loved it but it was stoeln. Bought another one (slightly cheaper) and every single time I use it the cord snaps and I have to redo it. To have a hassle free experience I think you should buy a stihl, but as close to $300 as possible.

Minor_Threat
1st February 2012, 07:02 AM
I bought a cheap as chips GMC about 6 years ago and is still going strong after being used every weekend since.

When it dies, i'll probably go for a stihl or honda however.

goughy
1st February 2012, 07:11 AM
Shingu works for me.

Ferrins
1st February 2012, 07:50 AM
Kawasaki KBL23 straight shaft with bump feed, light weight commercial jobbies. I have had two and after 7 years have never missed a beat. Bought both second hand and have never replaced a part or had them serviced.

mudrat
1st February 2012, 08:30 AM
Happy with my stihl, I got it second hand 6 years ago and is still going strong.

kev
1st February 2012, 08:45 AM

+1 - had one for 5 years

backintheswing
1st February 2012, 08:54 AM
Shingu works for me.

+1.

Ferrins
1st February 2012, 09:09 AM
If I needed another one I would bid to $230 on this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shindaiwa-Brushcutter-/130638125337?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e6aa39919#ht_500wt_1202

This is rough but still good buying for a well used but well serviced ex council unit.

http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0329-56174/transport-trucks-and-trailers/brush-cutter-shindaiwa-t230x-2-stroke-petrol-motor-straight-shaft-teste

or new

http://allpower.com.au/shop/brush-cutters/shindaiwa-t230xr.html

If you buy new you get the best bargain by not haggling the full price but rather go for extras thrown in. Extra cord,oil, ear muffs, face shield etc,

oscar
1st February 2012, 10:56 AM
I bought a straight shaft Stihl, you can remove the cutter head and put different attachment on. i got the blower attachment also.

Heaps of power for what I need and I can add a small saw or edger if ever the wife needs one.

Ferrins
1st February 2012, 11:00 AM
The multi tools are heavier

Jarro
1st February 2012, 11:03 AM
..... and expensive !

Tongueboy
1st February 2012, 11:11 AM
roundup!

goughy
1st February 2012, 11:37 AM
Apart from the attachments, which I'd never use, the one thing with a straight shaft is you can stick a blade on them, if you need real hacking power.

gazgolf1
1st February 2012, 12:45 PM
Another vote for Stihl, had mine coming up on 7 years.

Peppas
1st February 2012, 01:17 PM
So, straight shaft Stihl is the way to go?

Leon Phelps
1st February 2012, 03:48 PM
I've got a Makita 4 stroke WS. It is awesome, pricey, but awesome. I also have a hedge attachment which bolts on the end, also very nice

Ferrins
1st February 2012, 03:54 PM
Was just talking to someone about this thread and sold them one of my Kawasaki's, as I am going to have a run at the Shindaiwa one on the bay.

Courty
1st February 2012, 06:41 PM
Green Machine (made by Ryobi) straight shaft with Expand-It system. I've also got the path edger & blower. Love it.

Ferrins
1st February 2012, 07:15 PM
This is so contrasting to the answers on the mowing contractors forum:) Ignorance is bliss, Ryobi Bahahahahaha!

Golfnut
1st February 2012, 07:41 PM
My votes for Stihl but I might me a bit biased, I have 8 of them along with another 8 other assorted Stihl machines. Stay away from their 4mix machines and most thing 4 stroke if you want to avoid extra maintenance.My pick for home would be the FS85 for a machine that will last a lifetime. At worst an FS55.The other one to have really good look at is Kawasaki - KBS27A.They may be a bit outside your budget but you will have trouble free use for donkeys years.

Captain Nemo
1st February 2012, 09:11 PM
I have a Stihl, this model:
http://www.stihl.com.au/Products/product.cfm?iModelID=362
4 years just had it serviced, never missed a beat!

Courty
1st February 2012, 09:19 PM
This is so contrasting to the answers on the mowing contractors forum:) Ignorance is bliss, Ryobi Bahahahahaha!

Maybe so, but contractors would place much heavier demands on their gear due to prolonged use. Ryobi wouldn't cut it in that instance, but are obviously fine for domestic use.

Peppas
1st February 2012, 09:22 PM
I have a Stihl, this model:
http://www.stihl.com.au/Products/product.cfm?iModelID=362
4 years just had it serviced, never missed a beat!

Cheers L, that might be a little out of the budget but I will see. May need to replace the lawn mower eventually too as I busted that up a bit ahem.

I was leaning towards this one - http://www.stihl.com.au/products/product.cfm?iModelID=359

But I will see... everyone seems to love Stihl!

AndyP
1st February 2012, 09:35 PM
That one is probably the current day equivalent of what I have now, Pep.

The Walrus
1st February 2012, 09:45 PM
I have a Ryobi that has been pretty good. The line breaks a lot which is a pain but I'm thinking I'd getting one of those attachments with cutters that don't break. It does my 700 sq mtrs

oncewasagolfer
1st February 2012, 09:50 PM
I had a ryobi that was ok until my mate borrowed it and put straight petrol in:( binned that and bought a stihl which has been doing the job. Coincidentally the same mate borrowed my lawn mower and somehow managed to shear the spark plug off at the engine, was a bugger to get out.

golfbound
1st February 2012, 09:51 PM
stihl are great having said that i have a shindawa that has never had a service in 10 years used heaps and never missed a beat.

Ferrins
1st February 2012, 09:52 PM
Maybe so, but contractors would place much heavier demands on their gear due to prolonged use. Ryobi wouldn't cut it in that instance, but are obviously fine for domestic use.
You are the only guy on this site who reads what I post.

golfbound
1st February 2012, 09:55 PM
A good mate of mine does alot of commercial mowing down at wollongong and he only uses stihl might be able to get you a good deal at stihl unanderra if your interested i will be down there on tuesday. Yes i will be at the stihl shop with him.

He owns one of the largest commercial mowing companies in NSW

Golfnut
1st February 2012, 10:11 PM
^^^called?

golfbound
1st February 2012, 10:13 PM
whats called

Courty
1st February 2012, 10:18 PM

Everyone else is missing out on some quality stuff, then. ;)

Peppas
1st February 2012, 10:22 PM
A good mate of mine does alot of commercial mowing down at wollongong and he only uses stihl might be able to get you a good deal at stihl unanderra if your interested i will be down there on tuesday. Yes i will be at the stihl shop with him.

He owns one of the largest commercial mowing companies in NSW

Hi Ben, I'd probably be interested but I'll be at work on Tuesday. That was where I was going to go and have a look, well they're the only Stihl dealer around here according to the Stihl website.

golfbound
1st February 2012, 10:28 PM
pm me your number i will try and work out a deal and text you my mate can set it up for you.

Just let me know what models you are looking at and or budget.

or shoot me a email

media at qaga . org . au without the spaces and a proper @ symbol.

grandmasterb
1st February 2012, 10:51 PM
Cheers L, that might be a little out of the budget but I will see. May need to replace the lawn mower eventually too as I busted that up a bit ahem.

I was leaning towards this one - http://www.stihl.com.au/products/product.cfm?iModelID=359

But I will see... everyone seems to love Stihl!

Good bang for buck but your better off spending a little more and get the FS50C (especially if your taller than average) and grab a quick cut head as well (perfect for slashing the longer stuff instead of a blade) straight shaft is not really required unless you have acreage or heavy brush that requires slashing.

Tip for 2 strokes: don't buy/use premixed fuel and run it at 25:1 not 50:1 ;)

Peppas
1st February 2012, 10:52 PM
Cheers Ben, sent you an email.

Peppas
1st February 2012, 10:54 PM
Good bang for buck but your better off spending a little more and get the FS50C (especially if your taller than average) and grab a quick cut head as well (perfect for slashing the longer stuff instead of a blade) straight shaft is not really required unless you have acreage or heavy brush that requires slashing.

Tip for 2 strokes: don't buy/use premixed fuel and run it at 25:1 not 50:1 ;)

Cheers mate, I will keep that in mind. That is the quick cut head, I'm average height :)

golfbound
1st February 2012, 11:00 PM
Cheers Ben, sent you an email.

No worries mate will get onto it tuesday and email you prices and details.

Peppas
1st February 2012, 11:03 PM
No worries mate will get onto it tuesday and email you prices and details.

Thanks mate, appreciate the help.

grandmasterb
1st February 2012, 11:09 PM
Cheers mate, I will keep that in mind. That is the quick cut head, I'm average height :)

Sorry that was supposed to be "poly cut" head for the heavy slashing.

Peppas
1st February 2012, 11:12 PM
Sorry that was supposed to be "poly cut" head for the heavy slashing.

Awesome, thanks mate :)

kev
1st February 2012, 11:54 PM

You post?

PeteyD
2nd February 2012, 07:07 AM
I have a lawn instead of a jungle. The little 18V Ryobi trimmer does all I need. However if we do move to acreage I will be contacting the ferret for more information.

Outcast
2nd February 2012, 05:03 PM
4 stroke honda straight shaft, had mine 4 years and never missed a beat, they are around $399 but atleast they'll go the distance +1 I've had mine 6 years never misses a beat & you should be a bile to get the brush cutter option (blade) thrown in.

Ferrins
2nd February 2012, 05:56 PM
Too heavy.

Ferrins
2nd February 2012, 06:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls4aZyCwwOA&feature=related

Watch from 5.40mins for basic tips.

I would add

Rest guard against trees so you don't hit the bark
Avoid touching the trimmer head on the ground when in use as it will heat the cord and it will stick together or break. Relating to bump and feed models.
Get a set of soccer shin guards and wear them under your pants.
If you are unsure if the container has a oil/petrol mix for 2 stroke then dab some on your finger and blow it. The petrol will evaporate and the oil will remain and you can feel it by rubbing your fingers together.
Try not to store petrol longer than a month.
Very important that you use the correct oil viscosity and good quality.

Jarro
13th February 2012, 06:32 PM
http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-02-18/tn_1234924370908.jpg

well, my trusty Ryobi shat itself this morning ... so rather than spend a bit to get it fixed, i think i'll buy a new one instead.

Are Stihl still leading the race ?? I see they have some specials advertised on their website.

goughy
13th February 2012, 06:39 PM
Have you read the thread? It ain't that old.

Lagerlover
13th February 2012, 06:46 PM
http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-02-18/tn_1234924370908.jpgwell, my trusty Ryobi shat itself this morning ... so rather than spend a bit to get it fixed, i think i'll buy a new one instead.Are Stihl still leading the race ?? I see they have some specials advertised on their website.In same boat, let me know what you decide, see if we can save a bit... Ozgolf group buy...

Jarro
13th February 2012, 06:48 PM
Have you read the thread? It ain't that old.

2 weeks is a long time in retail Goughy

backintheswing
13th February 2012, 10:13 PM
One word. Shingu.

Peppas
13th February 2012, 10:19 PM
Ben got me some prices his mate could do for me on some Stihls. I haven't had a chance to get to the local Stihl dealer to have a look to decide though.

Lagerlover
13th February 2012, 10:28 PM
be interested peppas, not on a farm or anything..

Peppas
13th February 2012, 10:37 PM
be interested peppas, not on a farm or anything..

I know Ben's mate is in Sydney/NSW so not sure how he would go with the shipping?

I'm sure Ben wouldn't mind, I'm happy to shoot you the prices his mate could get from Stihl, they were a bit discounted from the current prices. But he was just buying from a Stihl store in Sydney, and he couldn't negotiate the prices at the Stihl store closest to me at all, they wouldn't budge on price. Apparantly he buys alot of stuff for his business so hence the discount, but I guess each store/dealer is different?