PDA

View Full Version : Complete Turnarounds

nudgee
13th June 2004, 08:59 PM
So I was up all night watching the Euro 2004 soccer games and got a call from mate Pat to play at Nudgee this morning. We started off the back nine at 8:00 am with no sleep and boy I had the worst freakin back nine I have had in a long while at Nudgee - scored 50!. Anyway we made the turn and I just didnt care anymore - tried a couple of things with the swing and all of a sudden I put together 9 awesome holes and score 36 on the front nine (par is 35). I had a chance to a par nine hole round as I missed a birdie chance on the ninth!!

My question is what has been you biggest turnaround game - mine is now 50-36 for a total 86 (tees where from the back markers).

nick
13th June 2004, 09:04 PM
Mine would be 47+34=81, that was in a junior tournament a while ago.

Nick

nudgee
13th June 2004, 09:06 PM
Nick,

Thats a great effort :wink:

terryand
13th June 2004, 09:09 PM
Way to go Nudgee :smt023
Terry.

AndyP
13th June 2004, 09:11 PM
Nick,

Thats a great effort :wink:
Most of my turnarounds are turnarounds for the worst. :oops:

But I'm sure I have had a few 53-41 type scorecards. I'll have to have a look at my records. :?

Well done on the good 9 nudgee. Do you think this is because you relaxed, and stopped caring about your score? And did you start to tighten up at the end once you knew you had a good run going?

nick
13th June 2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks Nudgee, had a few good ones coming in (unlike the front).

Nick

terryand
13th June 2004, 09:13 PM
A mate of mine that some of you know,George who plays of 18,had 17 over on the front 9 then 1 over to play to his hcp.

Terry.

jaster
13th June 2004, 09:51 PM
Well done Nudgee and Nick.....I went +5 front 9 -2 Back 9 on Friday :roll:

My memory is not that good at the moment (6 pack related ;)) but I read a few weeks ago a 13 marker in Sydney shot a 40something front 9 and then a -6 30 back 9....apparently had only been done by one G. Norman before on that 9 :shock:

markTHEblake
13th June 2004, 10:10 PM
The only one i can remember is my first game at Emerald Lakes.
49-36. And that 49 started with a birdie and had two pars. 16 over for the other 6 holes was some nasty golf.

Have had plenty in the other order, dont care to remember any of those.
It aint how you started that counts - its how you finished is what everybody will remember.

Eag's
14th June 2004, 05:02 AM
Many years ago in the club champs I had 48 on the front nine (with a 10)
Then had 36 on the back for a 84 par 72.
Like you nudgee just didn't care on the back and things just clicked for me, weird bloody game at times :roll:

Onewood
14th June 2004, 05:05 AM
Had 8 on the first at Logan, 4 over after one hole :cry: said to myself "thats me gone for the day" and went on to shoot 76 :roll: crazy game :D

AndyP
14th June 2004, 05:40 AM
Had 8 on the first at Logan, 4 over after one hole :cry: said to myself "thats me gone for the day" and went on to shoot 76 :roll: crazy game :D
Not quite a turnaround, but well done anyway. Mostly pars, or a few birdies and bogeys?

nick
14th June 2004, 06:38 AM
Oh yeah, I also shot a 2 over 38 front 9 (and was 3 over after ten) and a 2 under back 9 34 for an even par 72.

Nick

McMw
14th June 2004, 09:19 AM
i try not to remember the bad ones, but there's so many of them... :oops: :oops:

this year alone (with a difference of 5 strokes btw nines)...
40-34
42-37
38-44

hmm...I was expecting more...but I guess I'm just bad on both nines!!! :roll:

jaster
14th June 2004, 09:23 AM
A 40-34 is easy to take but not a 38-44 :cry:

McMw
14th June 2004, 09:25 AM
that was just yesterday!!! :lol:

I started out great....6 straight pars (all that chipping practice paid off - as I only had 2 GIRs yesterday!!!)
then I lost concentration on 7 and 8...

then I don't know what I did on the back nine - but it sure wasn't golf!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jaster
14th June 2004, 09:52 AM
I know what your missing mate ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56210&item=3682629817&rd=1

http://ozgolf.net/forum/images/smiles/eusa_whistle.gif :wink:

McMw
14th June 2004, 09:57 AM
after reading the thread last night on the Pings - I went for an ebay search!!! :lol:

not too many with orange dots I'm afraid...
from what I've read, the original Ping i3 blade is better than then i3+ (is this so, or hearsay?)

the hunt continues...
nothing wrong with the AEPs...
I think I just wasn't aggresive enuff with my iron shots yesterday - 12 approach shots fell short... :roll:

and yeah...the BP is GONE!!!!!!!!!! :x

Golfgirl
14th June 2004, 01:22 PM
The only one i can remember is my first game at Emerald Lakes.
49-36. And that 49 started with a birdie and had two pars. 16 over for the other 6 holes was some nasty golf.

Ouch!!! :shock:

I've had a few games of golf where the front and back nines could have been played on different days, the difference in my form was that great!!!

But in fact, my most embarassing golf statistic is to do with my putting - the first time I ever broke 100, I had 99 off the stick which included a whopping 42 putts.... :oops: :shock: Must of been pretty good from tee to green.... :wink: :lol:

nick
14th June 2004, 05:45 PM
I managed to shoot a 2 over 38 on the fron today (bad putting) and then a ten over 46 on the back including 10 over through the last 8 holes!

CHOKE!

Nick

AndyP
14th June 2004, 08:34 PM
I had 99 off the stick which included a whopping 42 putts.... :oops: :shock:

GG, do you remember if the majority of your first putts were quite long? Was this at Horton Park? Because I can't remember if the greens there are relatively big.

Golfgirl
14th June 2004, 08:40 PM
GG, do you remember if the majority of your first putts were quite long? Was this at Horton Park? Because I can't remember if the greens there are relatively big.

It was at Horton Park, and the greens there are really only an average size... but it stands to reason that a lot of my first putts are quite long ones, because unless I have a wedge in my hand, I don't have the ability to target the pin - I'm just happy to be on the putting surface. :oops: :wink:

I actually said this to Matt last week - that I am averaging 36 putts per round, and that this is not as awful as it seems because the total distance of my putts would be nearly twice what he is sinking in less than 30 putts.... I need to start hitting the ball a bit longer so that I am playing iron shots to greens and not fairway woods, then I will be able to be more accurate. :D (So the theory goes....)

AndyP
15th June 2004, 01:12 AM
It was at Horton Park, and the greens there are really only an average size... but it stands to reason that a lot of my first putts are quite long ones, because unless I have a wedge in my hand, I don't have the ability to target the pin - I'm just happy to be on the putting surface. :oops: :wink:

I think I'm more comfortable with the ball just off the green and a wedge in my hand, instead of a monster putt.

BrisVegas
15th June 2004, 07:30 AM
45 - 34 at Moonah Links (Legends) a couple of months ago.

AndyP
15th June 2004, 07:32 PM
I think for a round to have a "turnaround", it either has to make an inital bad round turn good or at least to handicap, or make an initial good round fall to crap. I don't think having a bad round turn very bad or vice versa should count. It would need to be a significant turnaround too.

That said, I have looked through my records and found the following "turnarounds".

I have had plenty of turnarounds at Nambour, but I think that indicates that I play the back 9 better, so they are not work listing.

Had a 40-48-88 at Kingston Links, Melbourne a few years ago. From memory, I think the wind just kept getting stronger.

41-54-95 @ Oxley several years ago, when I was playing off 17. :oops:

In consecutive rounds, I had a 47-39-86 at Redliffe, and a 39-49-88 at Virginia. I always wanted to count only the middle 18. :roll:

I also played a round at McLeod earlier this year, that was 35-44-79. :arrow: :wink:

amanda
16th June 2004, 08:04 AM
2 Sundays ago - front nine at 19+, back nine at 9+! And it was the reverse on Monday :cry: