PDA

View Full Version : How to tune a Nunchuk shaft - Version 2.0

virge666
25th January 2012, 01:52 PM
Here you go lads...

it is as always a little blatent, but if I have to take another call from some muppet who contacts me and says he cant get the shaft to work in his 8.5 driver at 46", I may just stab them with it.

:) :)

Please reply with comments, they are most welcome.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzP-i6AlkeCDYmI4NTA2NmItZTA5Ny00OGJiLTg0NGUtYTYyNDk4ZG ZlMTA1

PeteyD
25th January 2012, 02:18 PM
Adding weight to the head, what sort of increments using lead tape?

virge666
25th January 2012, 02:20 PM
Adding weight to the head, what sort of increments using lead tape?

2 grams at a time.

IanO
25th January 2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks Virge .. interesting read and shows that I did the right thing with my driver when I first fitted the Nunchuck (thanks for the previous advice).

Do I use the same method with my Nunchuck'd Fairway and Hybrid?

virge666
25th January 2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks Virge .. interesting read and shows that I did the right thing with my driver when I first fitted the Nunchuck (thanks for the previous advice).

Do I use the same method with my Nunchuck'd Fairway and Hybrid?

Exactly the same.

IanO
25th January 2012, 04:16 PM
Figured that ... will give it a go, but they are both excellent as it is

IanO
25th January 2012, 04:18 PM
PS. I think you need to add a very simple explanation on the correct and easiest method to measure the club length

virge666
25th January 2012, 04:53 PM
PS. I think you need to add a very simple explanation on the correct and easiest method to measure the club length

Thanks mate - will do..

Also need to add some info on LOFT

Captain Nemo
25th January 2012, 04:54 PM
Well what do i need to do to mine?
I whacked it in a 9015D head, not as good as when in my R11?
Too much spin???

virge666
25th January 2012, 05:02 PM
Well what do i need to do to mine?
I whacked it in a 9015D head, not as good as when in my R11?
Too much spin???

going to need more info than that . . .

Captain Nemo
25th January 2012, 05:05 PM
Well, i hit it way shorter and higher.
Adams is 10.5*
R11 is 10*

3oneday
25th January 2012, 05:09 PM
Post number 8, last word ;)

Iain
25th January 2012, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't of thought a 9015D would be high spin? Aren't they a low spin head?

timah!
25th January 2012, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't of thought a 9015D would be high spin? Aren't they a low spin head?

That's what I thought...

Captain Nemo
25th January 2012, 05:26 PM
Post number 8, last word ;)

I hit the R11 longer and straighter with a better ball flight and it's 10*???
I'll give the Adams one more run on sat!

virge666
25th January 2012, 05:49 PM
Why are we talking spin for a head.. Why would you put a low spin shaft in a high spin head...

makes no sense.

Low spin in a high LAUNCH head.

that is the business....

sms316
25th January 2012, 05:51 PM
LOFT indeed.

virge666
25th January 2012, 05:56 PM
LOFT indeed.

Hmmm . . . may have to agree there.

Captain Nemo
25th January 2012, 06:10 PM
Why are we talking spin for a head.. Why would you put a low spin shaft in a high spin head...

makes no sense.

that is the business....

So are we thinking the 9015d is high spin head?

Iain
25th January 2012, 06:13 PM
I hit the R11 longer and straighter with a better ball flight and it's 10*???I'll give the Adams one more run on sat! Maybe spin is too low. You're launching it high enough, but it's dropping out of the sky due to too low spin.

3oneday
25th January 2012, 06:20 PM
LOFT is rife.

Captain Nemo
25th January 2012, 06:35 PM
Maybe spin is too low. You're launching it high enough, but it's dropping out of the sky due to too low spin.

Thats what I'm thinking.
One more run on sat, then a change of heads.

GSP
25th January 2012, 07:06 PM
What is a good example of this?

makes no sense.

that is the business....

sms316
25th January 2012, 09:34 PM
LOFT is rife.
+1

If LOFT is rife it doesn't really matter what shaft is being used.

Yossarian
25th January 2012, 10:18 PM
The 9015D is a low spin head. Not a good nunchuck head at all IMO.

Captain Nemo
25th January 2012, 10:21 PM
The 9015D is a low spin head. Not a good nunchuck head at all IMO.

Thanks, little late now......
Anyone for a 9015D head????:roll:

Captain Nemo
25th January 2012, 10:36 PM
Virge, what about an i15 11* head???

rubin
25th January 2012, 10:43 PM
L put the chuk into the r11. Works much better.

I had it in the superdeep and into the wind it was gold, with the wind it fell from the sky it was strange to watch.

Having said that - ive still lost some distance with the chuk

BroKar
25th January 2012, 11:13 PM
I have to say it was awesome in the R11 3 wood, I didn't miss many fairways, I just prefer the AD DJ.

Captain Nemo
26th January 2012, 07:20 AM
L put the chuk into the r11. Works much better.

I had it in the superdeep and into the wind it was gold, with the wind it fell from the sky it was strange to watch.

Having said that - ive still lost some distance with the chuk

Yes, I know.
That was my starting point at 10* just thought I'd try a 10.5* head to see what happens.
I'll give the Adams some more range time and this sat's round, if it fails again ill be on the hunt for another 10.5* head.
But yes I did like it in the R11 @ 10*, I lost no distance at all from memory.

PeteyD
26th January 2012, 07:38 AM
Have added 2 grms lead to the head of the Razr. Will see how we go at the range hopefully today. Took swingweight up to D2.

Croydo
26th January 2012, 08:17 AM
L, from memory the I15 head is a pretty low spin head as well.

virge666
26th January 2012, 09:55 AM
Gents,

One more time for the special people.

LAUNCH !

Is you pick a low spin head then you are going to need more loft...

If you can launch it at 18 degrees with 1200rpm, it is going to go miles.

Height is only an issue if the ball is spinning. If it isn't spinning, then it is a flyer and goes further. The wind will not hurt a flyer too much.

LAUNCH is your friend, the difference between 13 degree launch and 15 degree launch is about 4 yards.... Err on the high side.

If you guys want to learn how to it it low, I can show you. It is much easier to hit it lower than hit it higher.

live4golf
26th January 2012, 10:04 AM
Virge,

Have you had a play around with different sized grips? The reason I ask in the one I have in my 3 wood has a mid sized grip, thicker than I normally use and it really gives me confidence that I will not go left, ever. I know thicker grips do this normally but with the chuck it seems to do it more consistently.

virge666
26th January 2012, 10:13 AM
Virge,

Have you had a play around with different sized grips? The reason I ask in the one I have in my 3 wood has a mid sized grip, thicker than I normally use and it really gives me confidence that I will not go left, ever. I know thicker grips do this normally but with the chuck it seems to do it more consistently.

Thick grips usually slow the hands a bit... Not sure how the chuk comes into play with it, but if the ball is going left then the shaft is probably too heavy...

What does your impact pattern say ??

Captain Nemo
26th January 2012, 10:18 AM
So how do we determine if a head is high or low spin?

live4golf
26th January 2012, 10:18 AM
Thick grips usually slow the hands a bit... Not sure how the chuk comes into play with it, but if the ball is going left then the shaft is probably too heavy...

What does your impact pattern say ??

Middle of the club. I mean I get a slight fade, it is a really nice flight...not like it is a bad thing, I find the chuck in the r11 3 wood with a thicker grip means I can aim left edge of a green or fairway and my normal swing will bring me to the centre of the green or fairway with a lovely little fade. Probably more shaft than grip

virge666
26th January 2012, 11:41 AM
So how do we determine if a head is high or low spin?

Where is the COG ?

The further back it is - the higher the spin usually

Middle of the club. I mean I get a slight fade, it is a really nice flight...not like it is a bad thing, I find the chuck in the r11 3 wood with a thicker grip means I can aim left edge of a green or fairway and my normal swing will bring me to the centre of the green or fairway with a lovely little fade. Probably more shaft than grip

If you have a fade - then you path is outside to in. Is it starting left and going right - or is it starting square and going right or is it starting right and going right ???

The grip will have SFA to do it... it is like saying you drive better with a thicker steering wheel. As long as the grip isn't stupidly large or stupidly small, the impact is minimal.

live4golf
26th January 2012, 11:44 AM
Where is the COG ?

The further back it is - the higher the spin usually

If you have a fade - then you path is outside to in. Is it starting left and going right - or is it starting square and going right or is it starting right and going right ???

The grip will have SFA to do it... it is like saying you drive better with a thicker steering wheel. As long as the grip isn't stupidly large or stupidly small, the impact is minimal.

OK, just curious.

markTHEblake
26th January 2012, 12:06 PM
Have added 2 grms lead to the head of the Razr. Will see how we go at the range hopefully today. Took swingweight up to D2.That may well be typical. I had to add a bit to both my driver and 3W. Friver was 197g from memory. I guess these days manufacturers are making heads a bit lighter to allow for longer shafts. Dont see many at 200-202 as atandard any more.

Webster
26th January 2012, 01:32 PM
Virge, how would the nunchuk go in a persimmon head?

PeteyD
26th January 2012, 01:38 PM
Very interesting at the range. Looking forward to taking it onto the course now. Might head up to the soggy club this evening.

virge666
26th January 2012, 03:46 PM
Virge, how would the nunchuk go in a persimmon head?

Would I have to use a whipping to attach it ??

Webster
26th January 2012, 03:52 PM
Yes. And some glue. Any clubmaker worth his salt can do it easily mate.

sms316
26th January 2012, 04:31 PM
Binding wooden heads was a bitch of a job.

3oneday
26th January 2012, 07:55 PM
I'm still trying to remember how you actually pull a shaft from a wooden head.

markTHEblake
26th January 2012, 08:39 PM
Helps to take the pin out first.

3oneday
26th January 2012, 08:40 PM
Ahhh that's right, so could you even pin a graphite shaft ?

Webster
26th January 2012, 09:26 PM
They didn't all have pins.

Captain Nemo
29th January 2012, 01:24 PM
This is new.....
EBAY=2]330677251152[/EBAY]

Captain Nemo
29th January 2012, 01:24 PM
This is new.....

Pretty sure it was $139... they may have pulled and relished it???:shock:

dave1
29th January 2012, 02:33 PM
Gents,

One more time for the special people.

LAUNCH !

Is you pick a low spin head then you are going to need more loft...

If you can launch it at 18 degrees with 1200rpm, it is going to go miles.

Height is only an issue if the ball is spinning. If it isn't spinning, then it is a flyer and goes further. The wind will not hurt a flyer too much.

LAUNCH is your friend, the difference between 13 degree launch and 15 degree launch is about 4 yards.... Err on the high side.

If you guys want to learn how to it it low, I can show you. It is much easier to hit it lower than hit it higher.

I'm thinking of s9-1 pro S 10.5

I havent got coin at minute but Im thinking about when I do

agree hitting low is easy, hitting high isnt so agree with this statement

I have become so grooved to hitting it low I cant hit it high anymore

ken on the chuck at some point. Who and where do I get them from?

3oneday
29th January 2012, 02:35 PM
They played it 45.75, no wonder it's for sale ;)

Captain Nemo
29th January 2012, 02:48 PM
Pretty sure it was $139... they may have pulled and relished it???:roll:

PeteyD
29th January 2012, 08:11 PM
Took the chuk out to the swamp on Saturday. Very impressed. Hard to know lengthwise thanks to the wet conditions but it getting out there for me, further than I have been hitting them recently. 7/12 fairways. My misses were 1 push just off right, 3 smother hooks (slowly getting rid of them) and 1 rolled in a bunker on 14.

My last drive was the best I hit all day. Nice little fade on 15 into the landing area for those that know it. Need to be more conscious of my alignment but I feel I could hit that fade all day.

Added a bit of weight to the R9 4W as well to try and get rid of the toe hits.

I also used some old ProV1s I had as i didn't feel like losing the new balls in the water (tri speed tours). Would using those have an effect on length off the tee?

Daves
29th January 2012, 08:52 PM
Took the chuk out to the swamp on Saturday. Very impressed. Hard to know lengthwise thanks to the wet conditions but it getting out there for me, further than I have been hitting them recently. 7/12 fairways. My misses were 1 push just off right, 3 smother hooks (slowly getting rid of them) and 1 rolled in a bunker on 14.

My last drive was the best I hit all day. Nice little fade on 15 into the landing area for those that know it. Need to be more conscious of my alignment but I feel I could hit that fade all day.

I also used some old ProV1s I had as i didn't feel like losing the new balls in the water (tri speed tours). Would using those have an effect on length off the tee?

I would think there would be little noticeable difference in length because of the ball you were using. I have use the Trispeeds side by side with the ProV1s, similar distance with driver in my case.

Why did you add weight to the 4W? Toe hits means too heavy, you need less weight. Or did you just shift weight to the make it less Toe biased?

RobNewy
29th January 2012, 08:52 PM
This is new.....

Pretty sure it was $139... they may have pulled and relished it???:shock:

I was looking at that. Are these shafts real ones, or are they mad fors?
There seems to be an aweful lot of TM TP shafts on ebay at the moment

Iain
29th January 2012, 08:54 PM
TP shafts a real.

Daves
29th January 2012, 08:55 PM
I was looking at that. Are these shafts real ones, or are they mad fors?
There seems to be an aweful lot of TM TP shafts on ebay at the moment

Made fors in the sense that they are done up with TM colour scheme, decal etc. But I am of the understanding that they are identical shaft underneath.

Captain Nemo
29th January 2012, 09:02 PM
Id say so, just never seen it done in TM Graphics!
Explains why there could be more tour players using them, you just wouldn't know unless you saw the shaft up close?
Id say that would be the case on a lot of other shafts as well.
Ive seen a lot of tour guys with TM Graphics on shafts and id bet they are not Blurs!:roll:

Iain
29th January 2012, 09:06 PM
Yep, it's all about the marketing.

PeteyD
29th January 2012, 09:08 PM
Why did you add weight to the 4W? Toe hits means too heavy, you need less weight. Or did you just shift weight to the make it less Toe biased?

See the doc. 2 options, shorten length or add head weight. It is an experiment, but adding weight to the driver head has proved very successful. If we weren't in the middle of a friggin monsoon i'd be fiddling with it at the range.

aym
29th January 2012, 10:00 PM
I am new to this, where exactly on the driver head are you adding the weight (I am assuming you are using lead tape)? or are you using weight kit?

PeteyD
29th January 2012, 10:01 PM
lead tape. wherever it fits on the base, toward the back. it is not purty but effective.

aym
29th January 2012, 10:11 PM
just right down the middle? try to keep it as balanced as possible?

PeteyD
29th January 2012, 10:12 PM
nah, according to the doc 2/3 toward the toe.

goonie
29th January 2012, 11:06 PM
Id say so, just never seen it done in TM Graphics!
Explains why there could be more tour players using them, you just wouldn't know unless you saw the shaft up close?
Id say that would be the case on a lot of other shafts as well.
Ive seen a lot of tour guys with TM Graphics on shafts and id bet they are not Blurs!:roll:

They have been on tour in TM Graphics for maybe 6 months, maybe more.

goonie
29th January 2012, 11:11 PM

I would think there would be little noticeable difference in length because of the ball you were using. I have use the Trispeeds side by side with the ProV1s, similar distance with driver in my case.

See the doc. 2 options, shorten length or add head weight. It is an experiment, but adding weight to the driver head has proved very successful. If we weren't in the middle of a friggin monsoon i'd be fiddling with it at the range.

From Virge's Doc

"If your impact pattern is tending towards the toe of the club, then the club is too heavy"

You need to shorten club or remove weight.

PeteyD
29th January 2012, 11:14 PM
read the doc again.

"if you feel the shaft is overpowering the head, add weight to the head"

Captain Nemo
29th January 2012, 11:15 PM
They have been on tour in TM Graphics for maybe 6 months, maybe more.
Probably longer, but you wouldn't know as all the TM shafts have that "same" look from a distance.

goonie
30th January 2012, 02:42 AM
Probably longer, but you wouldn't know as all the TM shafts have that "same" look from a distance.

Yep hard to tell with the stock graphics but I did see a nunchuck with TM graphics last year on some golfwrx tourny pics.

goonie
30th January 2012, 02:43 AM
read the doc again.

I thought you were trying to fix the toe hits?

virge666
30th January 2012, 08:11 AM
read the doc again.

Pete,

I reckon you should read the doco again.

Toe hit = heavy
You can fix this by shortening the club or removing weight.

You are quoting from the section on BALANCING the head and shaft and your instance - you can EITHER... shorten the shaft or remove weight.

If it is as you say, the shaft is overpowering the head - shorten the shaft 1/4 of an inch and hit again.

virge666
30th January 2012, 08:11 AM
I will check and see if the TM nunchuk is real - if so... fill your boots.

virge666
30th January 2012, 08:13 AM
Pete,

Let me re word it.

Captain Nemo
30th January 2012, 08:50 AM
Virge, gave the chuck one last run on sat in the Adams, still no good hence the sale of the head.
I hit Alot of ropey draws/hooks?????

PeteyD
30th January 2012, 09:04 AM
It worked for the Driver, so I guess it is more the shaft overpowering the head? The toe hits are from my swing, not a consistent toe hit like you get with the impact paper. My retarded swing is not reliable enough to get that anyway :D I can definitely say that adding the 2 grams to the driver made a significant improvement. With the 3 wood, I feel like I am leaving the head behind if I go for it, which I think is what you mean.

Dunno. Having fun experimenting with them anyway.

virge666
30th January 2012, 09:07 AM
New version is up.

virge666
30th January 2012, 09:10 AM
Virge, gave the chuck one last run on sat in the Adams, still no good hence the sale of the head.
I hit Alot of ropey draws/hooks?????

Ropey draw / hook is a closed clubface on an in to out swing path.

Again shows it is just to heavy as you body is going backwards on the downswing... Tee it up higher and open the clubface about 10 degrees, you will find you wil hit a nice high draw.

The ball flight laws are your friends... learn to use them.

Captain Nemo
30th January 2012, 09:35 AM
Ta, ill keep searching for another head, but i can see the R11 winning out!

virge666
30th January 2012, 09:43 AM
The R11 head is perfect mate - 10.5 degree and set it open faced to get the draw.

PeteyD
30th January 2012, 09:43 AM
Anyone know where I can get some impact tape / stickers in brissy?

Daves
30th January 2012, 09:44 AM

I have some.

PeteyD
30th January 2012, 09:45 AM
Excellent. Meet at the range tomorrow evening?

Daves
30th January 2012, 09:46 AM
Excellent. Meet at the range tomorrow evening?

Very likely.

virge666
30th January 2012, 09:47 AM

talcum powder mate - you would be surprised just how well this works....

PeteyD
30th January 2012, 09:47 AM
Double excellent.

Captain Nemo
30th January 2012, 09:48 AM
The R11 head is perfect mate - 10.5 degree and set it open faced to get the draw.

Yep, it was great, but mine only goes to 10*, hence my search for a 10.5* head.
i can see myself settling on the R11 though.

virge666
30th January 2012, 10:01 AM
I have a 10.5 superdeep here if you want to save some cash.

Captain Nemo
30th January 2012, 10:10 AM
I have an R11 already!!!

virge666
30th January 2012, 10:28 AM
Wel piss off that Adams POS and get with the program.

Captain Nemo
30th January 2012, 10:42 AM
Goooone, sold this morning!

live4golf
30th January 2012, 11:45 AM
Ta, ill keep searching for another head, but i can see the R11 winning out!

The r11 head is an exceptionally good head...you could search forever without beating it.

live4golf
30th January 2012, 11:49 AM
Yep, it was great, but mine only goes to 10*, hence my search for a 10.5* head.
i can see myself settling on the R11 though.

I am in the US for the next couple of weeks and then again start of march for a week if you want me to bring a head back?

Captain Nemo
30th January 2012, 04:59 PM
PJ, where are you going to just get a head only (def no homo!):shock:

markTHEblake
30th January 2012, 06:16 PM
I will check and see if the TM nunchuk is real - if so... fill your boots

I am positive someone in the know said that a well known company is rebadging them, could have been Gerry himself (and i am guessing in the SITD thread)

timah!
30th January 2012, 06:19 PM
TM rebadges a lot of their tour shafts I think.

TourFit
30th January 2012, 07:58 PM
From what I've heard, TM now do a lot of shaft re-badging/re-painting IN HOUSE.

They must just buy bulk std shafts and DIY.

PeteyD
30th January 2012, 09:18 PM
Loving a tuned in nunchuk in driver and 4W. I just hit it straight up the guts. 5/6 fairways this arvo, with the miss rolling off the left side. How long until the hybrid shafts are available?

virge666
30th January 2012, 09:24 PM
Good to hear Petey - Hybrids are here late Feb.

And for the lads --- there are 100 TM shafts and they are REAL chuks.

Fill your socks...

BroKar
30th January 2012, 09:25 PM
Price on TM ones??

virge666
30th January 2012, 09:26 PM
Price on TM ones??

They are only on eBay.

Captain Nemo
30th January 2012, 09:28 PM
Price on TM ones??

A lot more than Virge charges.....:)

live4golf
31st January 2012, 12:36 AM
PJ, where are you going to just get a head only (def no homo!):shock:

eBay...local delivery and I can bring it back in my luggage?

Plenty of cheap ones - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=r11+10.5&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A5841&rt=nc&_dmpt=Golf_Clubs&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1

even one with a shaft would be OK, I can bring it back for you still.

Let me know, happy to help.

tommyg
31st January 2012, 01:19 AM
I have a 10.5 superdeep here if you want to save some cash.

Ive just scored a chuk with a maruman 10.5 off hocko... i think its playing too long. I had a quick hit with it today at over 45 and seemed to hit it ok but it was into a massive headwind and it flew quite high into the wind. I guess i'll chop it down to 44.5 and see with impact tape. If it doesnt work out then what would you be after for the superdeep? I really like those heads...

virge666
31st January 2012, 08:34 AM
Can you bring a box of chuk's back with you ?

Save me the FedEx fee...

:)

live4golf
31st January 2012, 08:40 AM
Can you bring a box of chuk's back with you ?

Save me the FedEx fee...

:)

sure, no worries.

Captain Nemo
31st January 2012, 08:58 AM
eBay...local delivery and I can bring it back in my luggage?

Plenty of cheap ones - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=r11+10.5&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A5841&rt=nc&_dmpt=Golf_Clubs&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1

even one with a shaft would be OK, I can bring it back for you still.

Let me know, happy to help.

And where would we get it delivered to?
Pm me!

Captain Nemo
5th February 2012, 07:12 PM
Ok, here goes!
Took the Clevo TL 310 with the chuck out this morning in the comp.
Bingo!
It works!!!!!!!
NOW, I have it playing at 45", I know it's long and it felt a little heavy, but didn't want to cut it down until I found out its swing weight ( which I did after the round in the pro shop, came in at D4)!!!!!!!
Hit it good, better than the R11, longer, tighter dispersion.
11 driving holes, I hit 8 ave 235m slight fade.
3 i missed, pulled one, blocked the other, hit the other sweet, but into a f/w trap at 235m off the tee!
It's a bomber, prob one of the longest drivers I've hit, great ball flight.
I've played with a few of you one here, you know I get it out there ok, but this is longer and tighter dispersion.
SO,
Now, I need to fine tune it, so without s/w scales, lop 1/2 first and see what happens????
Over to you Virge.......

meh
5th February 2012, 08:12 PM
Ok, here goes!
Bingo!
It works!!!!!!!
NOW, I have it playing at 45", I know it's long and it felt a little heavy, but didn't want to cut it down until I found out its swing weight ( which I did after the round in the pro shop, came in at D4)!!!!!!!
3 i missed, pulled one, blocked the other, hit the other sweet, but into a f/w trap at 235m off the tee!
I've played with a few of you one here, you know I get it out there ok, but this is longer and tighter dispersion.
SO,
Now, I need to fine tune it, so without s/w scales, lop 1/2 first and see what happens????
Over to you Virge.......

Dibs :oops:

Captain Nemo
5th February 2012, 08:53 PM
Not likely mate!
Even one of my reg sat partners could not beleive it.
And a visitor who played with us got my phone no. after the round for more info on the chuck, his face looked like this :smt107

meh
5th February 2012, 09:01 PM
Not likely mate!
Even one of my reg sat partners could not beleive it.
And a visitor who played with us got my phone no. after the round for more info on the chuck, his face looked like this :smt107

Honeymoon period :wink:

Seriously though, how was the shaft (ie being counterbalanced vs the one in the ping), any similarity?

Captain Nemo
5th February 2012, 09:15 PM
Heavier and tighter, dispersion wise.
The shaft in the g20 is way too long, way too long!

Captain Nemo
6th February 2012, 07:29 PM
Ok, here goes!
Bingo!
It works!!!!!!!
SO,
Over to you Virge.......

Bumping this one!
Do I start with 1/4" trimming, I have no swing weight scales.......

virge666
7th February 2012, 09:02 AM
Bumping this one!
Do I start with 1/4" trimming, I have no swing weight scales.......

Lawrence,

I will let you in on a secret, I spent a few hours making that Nunchuk tuning sheet so that you could ignore it, cut your shaft to 45" and then ask me for advice on the setup. There is almost a page there advising you to cut the shaft to around 44.5" to start with and use impact pattern to tune it. In parts of that page - it borders on personal abuse with a cynical and arrogant twist. Stupider people may have followed the instructions, but you stick at it sport - your s p e c i a l.

Don't let any of that deter you, you play that shaft at 45" and ignore everything else in the sheet. WTF does the bloke who designed it know?, he obviously is holding back the true potential of the shaft as a personal secret.

(was that blatent enough for you :))

IanO
7th February 2012, 11:10 AM
Ohhhh MAN I enjoyed that :lol: GO Virge!

3oneday
7th February 2012, 11:24 AM
"you're"

meh
7th February 2012, 11:28 AM
"you're"

"blatant"

Captain Nemo
7th February 2012, 12:22 PM
Lawrence,

I will let you in on a secret, I spent a few hours making that Nunchuk tuning sheet so that you could ignore it, cut your shaft to 45" and then ask me for advice on the setup. There is almost a page there advising you to cut the shaft to around 44.5" to start with and use impact pattern to tune it. In parts of that page - it borders on personal abuse with a cynical and arrogant twist. Stupider people may have followed the instructions, but you stick at it sport - your s p e c i a l.

Don't let any of that deter you, you play that shaft at 45" and ignore everything else in the sheet. WTF does the bloke who designed it know?, he obviously is holding back the true potential of the shaft as a personal secret.

(was that blatent enough for you :))

=;

OK, b4 I start my response, let’s make one thing quite clear.
I read your tutorial thoroughly, and I very much appreciate all the time and effort you put into that for all of us using/trying Nunchucks, I really do.
In fact I appreciate your input on alot of things relating to clubfitting etc you post here.
NOW,
The shaft I had was a "pull", so it had already been cut, and when I installed it, played at 45" (pretty close to spot on, touch over!)
Now I have taken the grip off, and I’ve found out this has had an aluminium butt extender fitted, so that could explain the extra heft?
I clearly stated I knew it was too long already but was hesitant to cut it right down b4 I swingweighted it to give me an idea, starting point (as I have no s/w scales I had to wait till after my round to get the trainee to do it at the club).
I’m not in any way intending to play it at 45" in the future, I made that clear, and I know it needs fine tuning.
I was merely asking once again without the aid of swingweight scales how much to START trimming it by, 1/4" or 1/2", and how it would affect swingweight.
Im not a "C" grader (no offence to all c graders out there),with a swing style like Tommy Gainey, i know most of the time where im at and where the ball is going, and its coming off the face consistently close to the middle.
I never made reference to the designer and his playing intentions of the shaft in anyway, so that statement you made is irrelevant?
And why am I so special, really?:wink:

Dangals
7th February 2012, 12:31 PM
Finally got around to trimming the chuk for my 910f - thought I would start at 42" and then trim more if needs be. What a difference it makes - smashed out a 230ish tee shot on or short part 4 to be only 5m short of the green (lipped out the eagle chip). Definately finding more love for this shaft in the fairway than in the driver! The big test will be on saturday

virge666
7th February 2012, 01:59 PM
That wasn't even half as good an tantrum that I was hoping for . . . Where is the name calling, where is the abuse, the condescending tone . . . sheesh, Amatuers. The stupidly large font was a nice touch, but again, amatuer, almost L33t.

But back on topic... quoting from the page...
So install the shaft and trim it to a playing length of 44.5 inches. This should Swingweight with most clubs in their default setup of around D2. By 44.5 inches, I don’t mean 45.5, or 45 or 43.5 or 42 inches. 44.5 inches is a starting point… let’s start there.

No mention of measuring Swingweight . . . no mention of heading down to the pro shop to measure it. In fact, never once did I ask you to check the swingweight of the club.

In summary, I wrote...

Cut the shaft to 44.5" and then use impact tape or talcum to tune it.

One more time - just in case you missed it.

Here it is in your font . . .

Now put some effort into your reply, I want some passion AND some bigger words and absolutley no apologies to the C grade choppers that pollute our great golf courses.

Enjoy.

virge666
7th February 2012, 02:00 PM
PS: How much butt extention is showing...

Captain Nemo
7th February 2012, 02:43 PM
Virge, you know me, im a lover not a fighter!:lol:
3/4" of extension?
This shaft has been well travelled im led to believe?
Its been over in WAnkerville for a while so........:roll:
Im actually happy with where im hitting it on the clubface, just felt heavy, and longish.....
Ill cut to 44.5" as per protocol, and go from there.....:mrgreen:

3oneday
7th February 2012, 02:46 PM
Why not play it at 44" ? I'm tempted to get an SL290 10.5 and stick this Nunchuck in it just to prove that it is no better than a 50 gram shaft to a half decent player. anyone got one for $50 though :lol:

Captain Nemo
7th February 2012, 02:49 PM
Only reason i dont want to chop it right down to 44" is i dont want to have to stuff around and put an extension in it if i dont like it?
You can borrow my 4 wood one, it plays at 42.5", so in a driver maybe around 44", seriously?

virge666
7th February 2012, 03:22 PM
Why not play it at 44" ? I'm tempted to get an SL290 10.5 and stick this Nunchuck in it just to prove that it is no better than a 50 gram shaft to a half decent player. anyone got one for $50 though :lol:

You maintain the rage Pete... We are with you !

Only reason i dont want to chop it right down to 44" is i dont want to have to stuff around and put an extension in it if i dont like it?
You can borrow my 4 wood one, it plays at 42.5", so in a driver maybe around 44", seriously?

Rip the butt extention out. then head to the course with that driver and something else you have. Then tune it with impact tape... YOU HAVE TO TUNE IT... otherwise you may be just hitting toe hits all day.

find some ball that have the same number, and hit those with the Chuk, then hit the others with the other numbers... Compare, I bet you find the Chuk'ed balls straighter with no loss of distance.

The Chuk is just easier... and in the wind - will fly any other shaft - all day long.

sms316
7th February 2012, 03:26 PM
Has the LOFT issue been resolved?

PeteyD
7th February 2012, 03:26 PM
No chance of that.

virge666
7th February 2012, 03:29 PM
Has the LOFT issue been resolved?

From Richard Dawkins Eulogy for Douglas Adams.

Or there’s this parable, which he told with huge enjoyment, whose moral leaps out with no further explanation. A man didn’t understand how televisions work, and was convinced that there must be lots of little men inside the box manipulating images at high speed. An engineer explained to him about high frequency modulations of the electromagnetic spectrum, about transmitters and receivers, about amplifiers and cathode ray tubes, about scan lines moving across and down a phosphorescent screen. The man listened to the engineer with careful attention, nodding his head at every step of the argument. At the end he pronounced himself satisfied. He really did now understand how televisions work. “But I expect there are just a few little men in there, aren’t there?”

wazandnic
7th February 2012, 03:36 PM
Any idea when your stock of Nunchuks will be replinished V?

virge666
7th February 2012, 03:38 PM
Any idea when your stock of Nunchuks will be replinished V?

Live4Golf is bringing a box back next week.

Most are sold - I have 4 left out of the box of 15 shafts.

The 370 shafts will be here in 3 weeks...

wazandnic
7th February 2012, 03:43 PM
Shite... I thought he was only kidding when he said he could bring them back!

But I guess 15 shafts only weigh a little over 1.5kg's.

Captain Nemo
7th February 2012, 03:50 PM
You maintain the rage Pete... We are with you !

Rip the butt extention out. then head to the course with that driver and something else you have. Then tune it with impact tape... YOU HAVE TO TUNE IT... otherwise you may be just hitting toe hits all day.

find some ball that have the same number, and hit those with the Chuk, then hit the others with the other numbers... Compare, I bet you find the Chuk'ed balls straighter with no loss of distance.

The Chuk is just easier... and in the wind - will fly any other shaft - all day long.

Virge im hearing you bro, and i agree, it needs to be shorter and yes, ill try with some impct tape.
No need for me to take another driver, i know from Sunday's round its better hands down than the other 4 i have lying around!
In fact its longer in its present form than the others.

virge666
7th February 2012, 04:00 PM
Virge im hearing you bro, and i agree, it needs to be shorter and yes, ill try with some impct tape.
No need for me to take another driver, i know from Sunday's round its better hands down than the other 4 i have lying around!
In fact its longer in its present form than the others.

it shouldn't be longer mate - same swing speed = same ball speed.

You shoudl notice though that your bad shots aren't as bad.

3oneday
7th February 2012, 04:19 PM
You maintain the rage Pete... We are with you !no rage, bored with it now.

virge666
7th February 2012, 04:36 PM
no rage, bored with it now.

I am sure you can put a few more posts together.

Don't let the Nunchuk beat you.

Webster
7th February 2012, 05:08 PM
Virge do they make a lightweight Nunchuk?

virge666
7th February 2012, 05:21 PM
Virge do they make a lightweight Nunchuk?

Why would you ?

Defeats the purpose of the creating the shaft in the first place.

Webster
7th February 2012, 05:26 PM
Just reading the less spin thread. Couldn't you make a shaft with the Chuck features, but lighter which would deliver more distance.

(and no I'm not taking the piss here - genuine question)

Captain Nemo
7th February 2012, 05:31 PM
Just reading the less spin thread. Couldn't you make a shaft with the Chuck features, but lighter which would deliver more distance.

Probably no due to the thickness of the walls I suppose?
Would prob cost a shite load more as well?

Webster
7th February 2012, 05:34 PM
Wasn't the HTD65 a counter balanced shaft though. I quite liked them. And they can be had for peanuts these days. Do they share any cheracteristics of the Chuck.

virge666
7th February 2012, 06:05 PM

The point of the Chuk is to get rid of the droop of the shaft at impact, and as such give you a vertical impact pattern. That is the main point of the shaft...

To do that - you stiffen the shit out of the tip. and instead of breaking the shaft into three parts, you stick a hinge in the middle. This way you dont have a soft tip to flex and give you the droop.

This also has the nice sideline of not needing flexes.. as the shaft will bend as much as you swing it.
No idea on the logic of the heavier shaft setup - but my guess is to just balance it up and the extra weight lowers the spin. Another might be the extra weight in the butt of the shaft helps the hinge work as designed.

Then you counterbalance it to make it feel light and powerful. So you get all of the advantages of heavier shaft - without any of the setbacks.

The simply logic is that you are hitting the ball with a cricket stump instead of a tomato stake, therefore you dont need the 46 inch shaft to hit it as far and as a bonus - you get the accuracy of the shorter shaft and lower spin rate.

The downside is that you need more loft as the shaft wont give you any...

virge666
7th February 2012, 06:12 PM
Wasn't the HTD65 a counter balanced shaft though. I quite liked them. And they can be had for peanuts these days. Do they share any cheracteristics of the Chuck.

HTD, CB and a few others were the early models. The 21AD shafts were Gerry Hogan's first real nunchuks though - and they were only 70gr and even lower spin than the Chuk.

The AXIV range from UST is the current version. All of these shafts except for the GREEN model are counterbalanced. The tour Black is my favourite from the range, in about 80 grams. If you find one of these cheap ($100 or so) - grab it.

The Chuk is the only one that has the hinge in the middle, all the others shafts have 3 sections.

RobNewy
7th February 2012, 09:23 PM
I have demoed a chuk for the last 2 days. My misses were muchbetter, and i hit the fairway quite a lot.
Actually shot a PB of 43 on the front 9 at keysborough, which im stoked about.
Demoing it in a R11 10.5 head, but didnt get much extra didtance, if any.
I was also recomended, by a very reputable club maker, a Axivcore black x flex 79, and a prolaunch red in x as well, but i cant demo these 2.
What do you all think?

RobNewy
7th February 2012, 09:25 PM
Basically, im just not sure which shaft willbe better for me in the long run

PeteyD
7th February 2012, 09:37 PM
The one that fits more fairways.

3oneday
7th February 2012, 10:05 PM
The one that finishes closest to the green :)

live4golf
8th February 2012, 01:05 AM
Live4Golf is bringing a box back next week.

Most are sold - I have 4 left out of the box of 15 shafts.

The 370 shafts will be here in 3 weeks...

the box of 14 shafts should be here on Wendesday, will let you know when they arrive.

:-"

virge666
8th February 2012, 08:10 AM
the box of 14 shafts should be here on Wendesday, will let you know when they arrive.

:-"

OK, Make that 3 left . . . shall I put one aside for you Pete ?

3oneday
8th February 2012, 08:11 AM
Is Wednesday today Wednesday ?

virge666
8th February 2012, 08:19 AM
Is Wednesday today Wednesday ?

Nope - tomorrow is yesterday Wednesday

live4golf
8th February 2012, 08:23 AM
Nope - tomorrow is yesterday Wednesday

^ this

3oneday
8th February 2012, 08:24 AM
Nope, that'd be Thursday.

live4golf
8th February 2012, 08:30 AM
OK, so I was in Dallas waiting for my plane and a guy from New York came up to me and asked 'what timezone are we in'....before I could answer he continued 'because I have been travelling so long and across so many timezones I am not sure where I am. I flew from New York to Miami, Miami to Washington, Washington to New York, New York to Boston, Boston to Miami, Miami to Dallas. That's a lot of timezones."

I ignored him.

just in case you don't get it...he crossed 1 timezone.

He is the reason the world thinks Yanks are stupid!

KristianJ
8th February 2012, 08:33 AM
You clearly should have told him it was Thursday.

virge666
8th February 2012, 08:37 AM
I ignored him.

Stranger Danger

Emphasis on the "Strange"

Captain Nemo
9th February 2012, 07:24 PM
Ok, so it's at 44.5"
Went to the range and hit over 30 one hit wonder balls and hit it as good if not better than on Sunday!
I even went really hard at at least 10 balls and there is now way I can snap hook, or cut the ears off it, just nice strong ball flight, slight fade!
Playing Concord tomorrow so will be the acid test!8-)

3oneday
9th February 2012, 07:39 PM
Ok, so it's at 44.5"what swingweight is that, and is that the best swing weight to play it at you think ?????

;)

Captain Nemo
9th February 2012, 07:41 PM
Don't know Pete, but I'll find out sat!
:lol:

aym
12th February 2012, 04:09 PM
I found after I got the chuk, my shots went from a draw to a fade.. Also played yesterday in some decent wind, I reckon for those who can get the ball up with a driver might be better to stick with 9degrees or something, I have a 11.5 r9, good shots without wind is about 250, with head wind I reckon it's about 150 ...

Captain Nemo
12th February 2012, 04:21 PM
I lopped 1/2" off mine so now @ 44.5"
Not as long as last w/end, prob due to wet f/ways.
Im with you aym, have trouble drawing it, but i just aim down the left and hit it hard , nice little fade, all good!
I reckon the harder i hit it, the better, anyone else????

aym
12th February 2012, 05:21 PM
yeah thats what I do too, it's more predictable I must say, but would be good to know where my draw went ;)

Daves
12th February 2012, 06:43 PM
I found after I got the chuk, my shots went from a draw to a fade.. Also played yesterday in some decent wind, I reckon for those who can get the ball up with a driver might be better to stick with 9degrees or something, I have a 11.5 r9, good shots without wind is about 250, with head wind I reckon it's about 150 ...

I find the chuk very long into the wind. If you are getting no distance something is not right.

aym
12th February 2012, 07:36 PM
I find the chuk very long into the wind. If you are getting no distance something is not right.

could it be that my loft is too high at 11.5?

3oneday
12th February 2012, 08:00 PM
Usually it is LOFT related.

Iain
12th February 2012, 08:37 PM
I found after I got the chuk, my shots went from a draw to a fade.. Also played yesterday in some decent wind, I reckon for those who can get the ball up with a driver might be better to stick with 9degrees or something, I have a 11.5 r9, good shots without wind is about 250, with head wind I reckon it's about 150 ...If you're only getting 150 into the wind, I imagine you notice the spin without the wind. Are your 250m shots with no wind starting low and raising, before dropping with no run?

virge666
12th February 2012, 08:44 PM

Bullshit.

You don't lose 100m because of 2 degrees of loft FFS...

Also a shaft will not change your ball flight. It will either add or reduce spin... So it will either go left or lefter.

aym
12th February 2012, 08:55 PM
umm .. interesting comment, but you should read it again before you suggest i am bull shitting ...

virge666
12th February 2012, 08:57 PM
umm .. interesting comment, but you should read it again before you suggest i am bull shitting ...

What am I missing?

No wind = 250
Headwind = 150

wazandnic
12th February 2012, 08:58 PM
Perhaps a 100km/h head wind? :confused:

;)

rubin
12th February 2012, 08:59 PM
I have to agree with virge. I hit the ball very high, and a lot of club speed. With the chuk, i didnt lose much distance into a head wind.

aym
12th February 2012, 09:01 PM
What am I missing?

No wind = 250
Headwind = 150

Yeah something like that, maybe rougher estimate on the 150 but wasn't far off, however very unrelated to the "2 degrees of loft" you mentioned as I don't have a 9 degrees driver.

aym
12th February 2012, 09:04 PM
(I'd be guessing in this theory) but you have a 9 degrees driver ... and taking in to account wind gradient (different wind speed at different altitude) you probably won't loose as much distance as me? I don't know, but I was loosing a fair bit of distance yesterday at kingston links and I was there, not sure about Virge (I think he lives in NSW ;)

rubin
12th February 2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah something like that, maybe rougher estimate on the 150 but wasn't far off, however very unrelated to the "2 degrees of loft" you mentioned as I don't have a 9 degrees driver.

Then i would say that u r doing something wrong, or the 250 isnt 250 at all. I have a very inconsistent swing, but i dont have a 100m difference from 1 drive to another

Daves
12th February 2012, 09:09 PM
Try teeing it lower, and narrow your stance a touch.

TheNuclearOne
12th February 2012, 09:12 PM
(I'd be guessing in this theory) but you have a 9 degrees driver ... and taking in to account wind gradient (different wind speed at different altitude) you probably won't loose as much distance as me? I don't know, but I was loosing a fair bit of distance yesterday at kingston links and I was there, not sure about Virge (I think he lives in NSW ;)

If you're losing loads of distance into the wind you are spinning it too much. This will be from badly fitting kit, hitting down too much with driver or both. I bet your backspin is scary high.

Jarro
12th February 2012, 09:17 PM
Try teeing it lower, and narrow your stance a touch.

http://marketingconversation.com/wp-content/uploads/Facebook-Like-300x225.jpg

aym
12th February 2012, 09:20 PM
Sorry, I know this is not a coaching post but doesn't high back spin translate to ballooning shots even with out wind (which I haven't experienced for couple years now)? But hey might just be strong wind yesterday... if so it'll save me a bit of coin testing a 9 degrees head :)

TheNuclearOne
12th February 2012, 09:24 PM
Sorry, I know this is not a coaching post but doesn't high back spin translate to ballooning shots even with out wind (which I haven't experienced for couple years now)? But hey might just be strong wind yesterday... if so it'll save me a bit of coin testing a 9 degrees head :)

If your backspin is high enough to lose massive distances (akin to what you say) into the wind it should show up in still conditions. I have seen plenty of people not actually producing a noticably rising flight but still having way to much spin tho. The balls just floats along, drops steep at the end and rolls no-where. How much rollout do you get in the still?

aym
12th February 2012, 09:35 PM
Good point, I don't get much roll, most of my drives are around 220-230, and just takes a 1-2 jump and then stops, but I do have a 11.5 degrees driver ... almost going in to the senior degrees range ;)

Edit: also I have the r9 460, which I think it's the high spin or high launch head vs the normal r9?

TheNuclearOne
12th February 2012, 09:43 PM
Good point, I don't get much roll, most of my drives are around 220-230, and just takes a 1-2 jump and then stops, but I do have a 11.5 degrees driver ... almost going in to the senior degrees range ;)

Edit: also I have the r9 460, which I think it's the high spin or high launch head vs the normal r9?

The R9 460cc likes to spin a bit for sure.

aym
12th February 2012, 09:54 PM
r11 is a low spin driver?

TheNuclearOne
12th February 2012, 10:20 PM
I've heard conflicting reports. I'd be shocked if it wasn't under the R9 tho.

How's that 3 wood bomber going?

aym
12th February 2012, 10:27 PM
I've heard conflicting reports. I'd be shocked if it wasn't under the R9 tho.

How's that 3 wood bomber going?

absolutely awesome, a lot easier to hit off the deck than my old one, only issue is I am slicing it a bit, maybe shaft feels softer than a normal stiff? might need to get Virge to post me another chuk.

TheNuclearOne
12th February 2012, 10:38 PM
absolutely awesome, a lot easier to hit off the deck than my old one, only issue is I am slicing it a bit, maybe shaft feels softer than a normal stiff? might need to get Virge to post me another chuk.

That's a sensational little 3 wood that. It hurt to sell it but i have a handful of other great 3 woods lol. I found it had a nice balanced face height for both off the deck and driving. Plenty of heat too. A real sleeper that flew under the radar. The stock shaft might be a little light for you. Around 75 grams is the norm.

virge666
13th February 2012, 08:29 AM

Gents,

Look at the numbers...

Lets take the 230m, with an 11.5 loft. Clubhead speed is about 100mph... So the loft and head is fine... the shaft is fine. There is nothing to see here.

If he hit a couple of shots 150m, there was either

- An 60kmh headwind.
- skied it
- Was just a shit swing.

You dont lose 50m due to wind, EVER. Especially not with this shaft.

As I keep writing at least once a week now . . . the shaft has very low spin and no help to the launch angle, You can put a 13 degree driver on the end of this shaft and you are still not going to lose and distance with a 100mph swing. You may have some spin issues around the 110mph area, but it will not balloon at his swing speeds . . . the tip just does not bend.

The guy has gone from draws to fades which tells me he hangs back and flips his hands over to get a high domed draw to just over the 210m mark and then rolls left for another 10-15m. Once we take the soft tip out of the equation and add the weight of the 104gr shaft, he is now hanging back and coming over the top try to get the same feeling of the soft tip.

The easy way to fix it is to tune it with tape... right now, he will be getting toe shots as his body is going backwards... etc etc etc etc

RTFM

spanner039
21st November 2013, 07:08 PM
OK with all the 'chuck threads over the past couple of years im thinking this is the best one to post my question

Picked up a cheap Nunchuk, that would play 45.5" if i installed it now, to quote Virge "retard" no wonder it didn't work, have read his superb guide extensively

One question

The R1 - Good Head or Bad Head for a chuck?