PDA

View Full Version : WA: Joondalup Twilight - 9 holes walking (Tomorrow 24/01/12 at 3:10pm). One group booked.

Nuffie
23rd January 2012, 03:56 PM
Ok gents, given the cancellation of the round 1 matchplay, TommyG vs me the alien, it's time to have some fun in the sun.

I've booked a slot of 4 for tomorrow afternoon, playing either Lake OR Quarry 9.

Later today I'll know for sure which 9, at the moment we are Lakes but I want to change it to Quarry 9 given that Joondalup Open is less than 1 month away.

It's only $29 per person and hopefully it won't be excessively sweltering. PM me or respond to this thread if anyone's keen to have a social hit.

idgolfguy
23rd January 2012, 04:26 PM
Sorry mate - I have to work. Would have been keen regardless of the temperature.

rubin
23rd January 2012, 04:30 PM
if I wasnt working I would be very keen as well - love playing at Joondy.

when do u go back nuffm and how'd u 2 boys go in the members classic?

Nuffie
23rd January 2012, 04:44 PM
if I wasnt working I would be very keen as well - love playing at Joondy.

when do u go back nuffm and how'd u 2 boys go in the members classic?

I fly out Wed morn.

Idgolfguy had 30 pts. Me 34 pts. My highlight of the day was beating a 17 year old scratch player who shot 33 but it was amazing to see him hit the ball.

47 points won the event - which was not surprising given the slow greens. Still, better to have slow greens than have them dry out in the heatwave that's coming. We all know what happened to the greens following the Johnny Walker Classic in 2009.

Nuffie
24th January 2012, 02:03 PM
The quarry 9 is booked for 3.10pm if anyone manages to get the afternoon off work early.

Pieface
24th January 2012, 02:10 PM
Wish i could join you Nuff. Quarry is a fun 9!

Nuffie
24th January 2012, 03:14 PM
Wish i could join you Nuff. Quarry is a fun 9! It's a fun 9 but can punish the wayward shot. Today is all about devising a strategy for 3 wks time.

Nuffie
24th January 2012, 08:23 PM
I played the quarry off the blacks and had 14 pts. I wiped the 1st, 5th and 6th but parred the 2nd and 4th, also birdied the 3rd and 8th.The 6th plays about 2 clubs longer into the green. 7th played 203m and required a well struck 3w to get on. The 1st, 5th and 9th could be 3w off the tee and I may just put that play into action come mid-Feb.Joondy for me I think will be all about position and consistency. On some holes the carries I know are big and not worth going for, so by instead playing smart and plotting my way round, I think it's possible to keep the doubles off the card.It's going to be a challenge to be consistent for a whole round, let alone 2, but one that's going to hopefully make me hit it as consistent as ever. Besides, the only way to improve is to put the game to the test, especially whilst things are going well.

Yossarian
24th January 2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the thoughts nuffie.

Bruce Dickinson
24th January 2012, 09:17 PM
I played the quarry off the blacks and had 14 pts. I wiped the 1st, 5th and 6th but parred the 2nd and 4th, also birdied the 3rd and 8th.The 6th plays about 2 clubs longer into the green. 7th played 203m and required a well struck 3w to get on. The 1st, 5th and 9th could be 3w off the tee and I may just put that play into action come mid-Feb.Joondy for me I think will be all about position and consistency. On some holes the carries I know are big and not worth going for, so by instead playing smart and plotting my way round, I think it's possible to keep the doubles off the card.It's going to be a challenge to be consistent for a whole round, let alone 2, but one that's going to hopefully make me hit it as consistent as ever. Besides, the only way to improve is to put the game to the test, especially whilst things are going well.

off the blacks driver is the play on1, 2 and 6, 5 depends entirely on the wind. If you take 3 wood into the wind you'll have 300 left for you second

Nuffie
24th January 2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the thoughts nuffie.No worries dude. But it's trying to take those thoughts now and turn them into something that's gonna help get me round this track.I've had good rounds at KB but Joondy is the next big item on the agenda, a test that has to be taken. To know that u need pure contact to hit a green - or else eat scrub, is hopefully going to help take the iron play to another level.

Pieface
24th January 2012, 09:28 PM
Eating bush. Not Yoss' forte

Bruce Dickinson
24th January 2012, 09:29 PM
keep it in play and practice your long distance putting Nuffie, that's the secret to Joondalup

Yossarian
24th January 2012, 09:30 PM
Eating bush. Not Yoss' forte

Au contraire, I love a free flossing.

Nuffie
24th January 2012, 09:52 PM
Every 2nd player that goes round there must hit it into the quarry on the 5th. I was one of them today, and then found another 15 balls at the bottom after I'd walked straight up to mine :)Regarding your point about long distance putting BD, today most approaches I fortunately stuck tight. But I'm hearing u. The first time round Joondy 5 years ago, I 4-putted at least 4 times on the Lake 9. Some of those greens are enormous, the biggest I've played.

Bruce Dickinson
24th January 2012, 10:12 PM
Don't get caught down the quarry Nuffie, they take a dim view to anyone going down there. For members I think its at least a one month holiday

Nuffie
24th January 2012, 10:45 PM
Don't get caught down the quarry Nuffie, they take a dim view to anyone going down there. For members I think its at least a one month holiday I was just 'mining' for golf balls down there on my week off. But not to worry, I think the deposit is now fully mined out. Nuffiethehobbit strikes again...

TourFit
25th January 2012, 03:18 PM
Wonder if you'd have gone down there if you knew how the Joondy management feel about it...?

Also wonder if you had any thoughts about SNAKES, in the blistering heat of the day, down at the bottom of a quiet quarry?

Nuffie
25th January 2012, 11:41 PM
Wonder if you'd have gone down there if you knew how the Joondy management feel about it...?Also wonder if you had any thoughts about SNAKES, in the blistering heat of the day, down at the bottom of a quiet quarry?Answer to q1. Probably not.Answer to q2. Made lots of noise going in to scare animals away, perhaps a result of the 40 degree heat sending me mad.

rubin
25th January 2012, 11:45 PM
Nuff - you do realise snakes cannot hear. they dont react to noise of any sort.

They do however react to vibration (i.e stomping on the ground)

Yossarian
26th January 2012, 12:26 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2008/03/04/2179359.htm

A (http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2008/03/04/2179359.htm)nd isn't sound a vibration?

Nuffie
26th January 2012, 12:36 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2008/03/04/2179359.htmA (http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2008/03/04/2179359.htm)nd isn't sound a vibration?Close Yoss. According to high school physics, we learnt that sound is the result of an initial vibration. In other words, you need vibration to make a noise. And dogs hear better than us as their ears pick up vibrations that human ears can't.

rubin
26th January 2012, 12:37 AM
yeah - but nuffie walking into the quarry saying "go away snakes, please leave me alone or i'll frickin nail ya" wouldn't cause enough of a vibration to make a difference.

Nuffie
26th January 2012, 12:39 AM
yeah - but nuffie walking into the quarry saying "go away snakes, please leave me alone or i'll frickin nail ya" wouldn't cause enough of a vibration to make a difference.Or just donging lots of things...

Pieface
26th January 2012, 12:46 AM
I'd rather run into a dugite in the quarry than NUFFIETHETROUSERSNAKE!

Keep your donger to youself!

Nuffie
26th January 2012, 08:47 PM
It scared all the other snakes away... maybe it is the world's most dangerous species of snake, lol.