PDA

View Full Version : One for the computer literate...

Rod Morri
21st January 2012, 01:12 PM
So my old D Link modem router is getting a bit tired and a mate gave me a new Netgear one. Problem is, the one he gave me was supplied by Optus when he signed with them (even has a little "Yes Optus" badge on the front of it) and I'm with BigPond. Should it just work out of the box or is it somehow locked to Optus and needs to be reset? I tried the reset button on the bottom of the thing but still can't seem to get anywhere (which could of course just be my inability when it coms to setting it up).
Any help greatly appreciated.

AndyP
21st January 2012, 02:43 PM
At a guess, the reset probably just sets it back to an Optus default. You will need to get into the modem configuration menu, and adjust stuff to get it going for Bigpond.

Daves
21st January 2012, 03:01 PM
Whirlpool forum probably has the answer, or can answer your specific question. As I understand it, if it is a cable modem, no. If it is an ADSL one then should be able to reconfigure and register.

WBennett
21st January 2012, 03:22 PM
If its netgear, 99% chance the IP address is 192.168.0.1 - Default username and password are admin and password (wow)

To do a factory reset, try holding the reset button down (whilst under power) until the lights on the front flash. Reset takes about 30 seconds all up.

Good luck

Rod Morri
21st January 2012, 03:26 PM
All excellent advice, thanks guys. Will head over to Whirlpool as well (forgot how much info is available over there).