PDA

View Full Version : SA: SA Matchplay!

Flavzz
20th January 2012, 11:35 AM
Although the past few SA ozgolf days have not had amazing turnouts I thought if we have a Matchplay tourney the 2 involved in each individual match can simply oranise a course and a time which suits. We can gradually play out all the matches. The WAnkers inspired me to start this :) Should be pretty cool I think. Who is keen? Once I get a decent number of participants I'll do a random draw and we can get the first round underway!

The Rules

$10 entry
18 hole matchplay at location and time decided by the 2 parties of each match
Handicapped matchplay using Golflink Cap
Normal rules of golf & local rules as per course

1st Round
2nd Round
Semi Finals
Final

1. Flavzz

v
Flavzz

16. Bye

vs
Winner

9. Jason

v
Simsy 5&4

8. Simsy

vs
Winner

12. Bye

v
Marcel

5. Marcel

vs
Winner

13. Bye

v
Funky Cliff

4. Funky Cliff

vs

3. Chris

v
Chris

14. Bye

vs
Winner

11. Bye

v
Nadge

6. Nadge

vs
Winner

7. Tim

v
Chilled 5&3

10. Chilled

vs
Winner

15. Bye

v
Titleist 775

2. Titleist775

Titleist775
20th January 2012, 11:59 AM
I'm keen :)

Chris32
20th January 2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah sounds good, given enough time to organize a round it sounds like a good idea

Would you play off the stick or handicap matchplay?

Flavzz
20th January 2012, 12:55 PM
We would have to play handicap Matchplay given the variation in skill level to be fair unless u can think of a fairer idea I guess..

Funky_Cliff
20th January 2012, 01:14 PM
I'm keen Flavzz

marcel
20th January 2012, 01:15 PM
I'll have a go, not playing til Mid march however

nadg63
20th January 2012, 02:07 PM
I'll be up for it as long as no rally/holiday commitments!

Chris32
20th January 2012, 02:26 PM
I think h/c matchplay is about as fair as you can get really! Looking forward to seeing how this all goes

I've never won a match in about 5 goes

nadg63
20th January 2012, 02:30 PM
Just hope that burglar Jasonb isn't entered ...................... :wink:

catch22
20th January 2012, 02:38 PM
Would love to but will be too hard arranging matches since I only get to adelaide once every few months.. sounds fun though!

Flavzz
20th January 2012, 05:54 PM
Good interest so far. I'll let this run for a week then do the draw. Happy to make it mid march to allow Terry to join in.

nadg63
20th January 2012, 06:24 PM
Good interest so far. I'll let this run for a week then do the draw. Happy to make it mid march to allow
Terry to join in.

I'm away the weekend of March 24/25th, (Targa Tas recce), then April 14/15th and 21/22nd doing Targa itself.

Flavzz
20th January 2012, 06:26 PM
Ok mate I'll be sure to make it one of those weekends then ;)

nadg63
20th January 2012, 06:33 PM
Ok mate I'll be sure to make it one of those weekends then ;)

I'll post in a score! (won't be far from Barnbougle at some stage, but no time to venture there unfortunately! :( )

Flavzz
20th January 2012, 06:46 PM
That's on my list of must play courses. Unreal looking place.

Flavzz
23rd January 2012, 09:12 AM
Any other SA boys keen on this? If we get 8 runners we can have a knockout format...

nadg63
23rd January 2012, 05:14 PM
Any other SA boys keen on this? If we get 8 runners we can have a knockout format...

Reckon Jasonb and Simsy, (Shaun,) will be up for it! Will have a word with them.

Simsy
23rd January 2012, 05:36 PM
Hi guys Simsy(shaun) here i'm keen to be a part this so count me in

Flavzz
23rd January 2012, 05:52 PM
Good job mate.

Tim u down for this too??

jasonb
24th January 2012, 07:00 AM
I am happy to be knocked out 1st round!

timinsa
24th January 2012, 08:24 AM
Yeah I'm in.

nadg63
24th January 2012, 04:46 PM
I am happy to be knocked out 1st round!

What with the 3 shots per hole we'll have to give you ................................. :?

Flavzz
27th January 2012, 04:39 PM
Looks as if we have 9 runners now.. What should we do for the draw? Obviously 8 would split perfectly into 4/2/winner...

ps. Nice avatar nadge :roll:

marcel
27th January 2012, 05:07 PM
Looks as if we have 9 runners now.. What should we do for the draw? Obviously 8 would split perfectly into 4/2/winner...

Do a draw for 16 (8 matches) , give 7 first round byes, lucky 8th match gets to play, then you're down to the final 8 competiters

Flavzz
27th January 2012, 05:49 PM
Good idea Terry. I'll use the order which everyone registered their interest as seeds for the draw if ppl are happy with that.

nadg63
27th January 2012, 05:57 PM

ps. Nice avatar nadge :roll:

Mentioned the match to Chilled yesterday, can give him a nudge to see if he does intend entering - tho will then be an odd number ................. !?

PS:- The avatar is the only 'Pure' thing about my game! ;) (won't be there long, what next ..... )

Flavzz
27th January 2012, 06:25 PM
Well with this system it wont matter if we have an odd or even number except some will have to play the first round and many will have a bye.. So the max we can have now is 16. I'm drawing up a mock draw atm

Flavzz
27th January 2012, 06:33 PM
Preliminary draw according to an elimination template I found on the net and using the seeds according to original list.. It actually seems to be quite balanced in terms of high and low cappers spread out across the draw.

1. Flavzz
v
16. Bye

9. Jason
v
8. Simsy

12. Bye
v
5. Marcel

13. Bye
v
4. Funky Cliff

3. Chris
v
14. Bye

11. Bye
v
6. Nadge

7. Tim
v
10. Chilled

15. Bye
v
2. Titleist775

Chilled
27th January 2012, 06:38 PM
Yep, I'm in, thanks guys. Sorry, missed this thread : )

Flavzz
27th January 2012, 06:44 PM
Now to organise a date and time for the matches.. March seems to be the month so we can accommodate Terry and his beach vollyball injuries :) Like mentioned before we can play the individual matches at any time on a course which both parties involved are happy to play. Is everyone happy to do this or do you want everyone to play on the same track? I just thought for convenience we wont restrict it to one day/place or time... Thoughts?

Maybe the later rounds can all be played at the same place?

Ps. More ppl are free to join until we hit the 16 person limit..

Chris32
28th January 2012, 12:56 PM
Looks good!

timinsa
28th January 2012, 11:18 PM
$5 on the bye to beat Flavzz. :)

Funky_Cliff
30th January 2012, 12:41 PM
I think that it is better not to dictate too much in the early rounds to give the matches the best chance of happening. Giving a month as a range to play matches I think is fair, and if people know enough in advance they should be able to organise things. Same for courses, where people are able to play, what works for both parties, etc.

Looks good Flavzz.

Flavzz
31st January 2012, 10:39 AM
$5 on the bye to beat Flavzz. :) Ha! At least I'll make it to the 2nd round :) Ok so with the first round (2matches) u guys can start whenever u want and we will aim to get it done by the end of feb. Then 2nd round by end of march which hopefully Terry will be fit for. Is everyone happy with a $5 or $10 entry fee to put towards a prize?

marcel
31st January 2012, 12:34 PM
Should be fighting fit by late march.
Happy with any entry fee

nadg63
31st January 2012, 04:08 PM
Got contact details for username 'Bye' !?

Flavzz
31st January 2012, 05:02 PM
Got contact details for username 'Bye' !?

Last name Sexual.

Original post updated with details, can those with first round matches update in the thread when and where they will play once decided :)

nadg63
31st January 2012, 05:13 PM
How are you going to go about collecting the entry fee Flavzz?

Flavzz
31st January 2012, 05:18 PM
Well I was thinking if the winner of each match collects the $10 from whoever they beat they can bring it to the next round...

We have 10 entrants so thats $100. How about 70/30 for first and second?

nadg63
3rd February 2012, 10:11 PM
Well I was thinking if the winner of each match collects the $10 from whoever they beat they can bring it to the next round...

We have 10 entrants so thats $100. How about 70/30 for first and second?

Good with me. As Jason and Simsy, (Shaun), play in the same group at The Vines on a Sunday their match is an easy one to get done 8-) (I can act as match official - open for bribes as of this moment the pair of you! :wink: )

Ps: Found a new avatar Flavzz .......................... :D

Flavzz
4th February 2012, 08:25 AM
As the organizer I'll take a % of all bribes thanks nadge. Good to hear the first match is underway soon. I'll expect a detailed analysis of the match Sunday arvo then. Good luck to both of u! Did u steal Poulters pants nadge?

nadg63
4th February 2012, 11:19 AM
Just to confirm that this is being done off of 100% Golflink handicap, (no % adjustment of h/cap as per some Matchplay comps I have seen)!? Not had confirmation from Jason/Shaun as to whether it's on tomorrow or not as yet!?

Flavzz, PM me your mobile No. please.

And, though they do look like something from Poulter, found them on Loudmouth UK site - may poss bring some back with me when over there mid-year .................... :wink:

Flavzz
4th February 2012, 01:44 PM
Yes official cap rounded up or down etc.

nadg63
5th February 2012, 11:12 AM
Didn't happen - rain stopped play! (actually play didn't even start, woke up to hear it chucking it down so all bailed!)

Chilled
5th February 2012, 11:13 AM
Yep no good for me at blacky either, rain was coming down too hard this morning. Ditched playing today : (

jasonb
5th February 2012, 11:35 AM
Didn't happen - rain stopped play! (actually play didn't even start, woke up to hear it chucking it down so all bailed!)

I was ready to go, just waiting for your sms to pull the pin! I expected Shaun to go , he plays rain,hail or shine!

timinsa
5th February 2012, 01:10 PM
I had to do a 3 hour detailing & polishing demo for the Porsche Club now followed by nephews birthday....one day soon I will find time to hit the new driver I got from Virge...one day..
Then I will find another day to play a match with Chilled.
Might have to be the same day. :(

nadg63
5th February 2012, 02:56 PM
I had to do a 3 hour detailing & polishing demo for the Porsche Club now followed by nephews birthday....one day soon I will find time to hit the new driver I got from Virge...one day..
Then I will find another day to play a match with Chilled.
Might have to be the same day. :(

So where are you and Chilled going to have your match!?

Flavzz
5th February 2012, 03:10 PM
U bunch of women.. I was looking forward to the update..

nadg63
5th February 2012, 03:23 PM

Here's an update, it's still crap out there!

timinsa
5th February 2012, 05:31 PM

At least I have an opponent in the first round.

Flavzz
5th February 2012, 06:08 PM
At least I have an opponent in the first round. I thought that may come up..I managed to get in some practice this arvo. Scattered showers but still some sun.. :)

nadg63
13th February 2012, 07:32 PM
Still no matches played, Jasonb/Simsy may be a goer this Sunday!?

timinsa
13th February 2012, 09:53 PM
Chilled. When? Where?
This Sunday is good for me.

Chilled
14th February 2012, 06:34 AM
timi, yep sunday could work for me also. Might have to be an arvo game (will know towards fri evening), but leave it with me, I'll work something out. PM me your mob #.

nadg63
14th February 2012, 04:07 PM
So will the SA Matchplay actually kick-off this weekend ........................... !?

jasonb
14th February 2012, 05:17 PM
So will the SA Matchplay actually kick-off this weekend ........................... !?

Yep -me vs shaun

Flavzz
14th February 2012, 05:28 PM
Good job lads. Gettin it done!

nadg63
14th February 2012, 05:45 PM
Yep -me vs shaun

I've found my R&A Rules book ready for my role as match referee :D :wink:

Chilled
17th February 2012, 07:46 AM
Ok, all organised for timi and myself - this sunday Mount Osmond 10:09 tee off time. timi, pm me your bank account details for the $10, I might as well put it in now because I'm playing terribly at the moment :(

nadg63
17th February 2012, 02:08 PM
Ok, all organised for timi and myself - this sunday Mount Osmond 10:09 tee off time. timi, pm me your bank account details for the $10, I might as well put it in now because I'm playing terribly at the moment :(

I see your tactics here Nick, reverse psychology!

Chilled
17th February 2012, 03:22 PM
I see your tactics here Nick, reverse psychology!Neil, I can see timi is a very smart customer and would never be put off by such feeble tactics :)

timinsa
17th February 2012, 09:10 PM
Just bring cash.
Mt Ozzie is my old home track. Did I forget to mention that?
;)

Chilled
17th February 2012, 09:13 PM
Darn, outplayed already and we haven't even started.

timinsa
17th February 2012, 09:59 PM
It's ok I'll shoot 100 round there on Sunday.

nadg63
18th February 2012, 08:42 AM
Just bring cash.
Mt Ozzie is my old home track. Did I forget to mention that?
;)

I knew that, hence the surprise when I saw the listed venue ................................ :lol:

Flavzz
18th February 2012, 06:27 PM
Smooth move Timmy, what a crook. What cap u playing off Nick?

Chilled
18th February 2012, 07:13 PM
Darn you guys, you're supposed to give me some inside information. I didn't know his ex home club was ozzy.....d-oh!

I knew that, hence the surprise when I saw the listed venue ................................ :lol:Well I haven't played it before so I thought an excellent opportunity to kick Tim's backside. Oh did I say that? Whoops I mean get my backside kicked, because then I can just blame the fact I don't know the course ;)

Smooth move Timmy, what a crook. What cap u playing off Nick?Played links lady bay today and had a great day. Was hoping to kick down to 13 after the match but just looking now it seems I've staying at 14 as I had a good round drop out of my 20. So for tomorrow I'll be off 14, blackwood is absolutely killing me, can't seem to get any good rounds going there, might have to change clubs soon to RA to get my H/C down :D

timinsa
18th February 2012, 07:29 PM
So I'll only have to give you a shot on the 7 hardest holes. That's 1, 6, 8, 9, 10, 15 & 17. No worries.
Mt Oz is an easy track. Very flat. You'll be fine. :)

Chilled
18th February 2012, 07:56 PM
I'm not going to fall for your reverse psychology....hehe

nadg63
18th February 2012, 08:40 PM
Have a good game boys. Believe game 1 is still going ahead at The Vines, usual 7.18am tee off.

nadg63
19th February 2012, 01:11 PM
Match 1 at The Vines done and dusted, see write up here:

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/27620-Matchplay-Results-2012?p=765983#post765983

timinsa
19th February 2012, 04:10 PM
Chilled whacked me 5&3 after i was up by 2 on the 7th. I lost the next 8 holes. Is that a record? Fwiw I did caddy him round to 36 points. He hit some great shots & made some key putts. I think I need to focus on my game rather than playing host. Once the match was finished I played some great golf.

Chilled
19th February 2012, 07:26 PM
Only way I was ever going to even get close to timi today was to bring out the A game, and I managed to do that. Hit the ball probably as best as I ever have and everything seemed to go right, although I had plenty of chances for birdies but just could not convert even a 2 footer! Wouldn't have been able to manage a good score without timi as caddie! :D Thanks for that, I would have had much less of an idea where to hit to had I not had some really good advice.

After the match was over timi really nailed the last few holes with a nice bird on the final. All in all great day, thanks timi! And of course I'm happy to take your $10 :D

This was my first outing at Ozzy so was really happy to get out there. Course is just fantastic. It's good technically.....ie really interesting rather than straight boring flat tracks.......but in terms of visuals and presentation it's top notch, just fantastic. I'm considering membership there along with a few other courses, but we did get stuck behind some really slow players today towards the end, so might have to give it a few more go's before I decide.

nadg63
19th February 2012, 07:37 PM
Only way I was ever going to even get close to timi today was to bring out the A game, and I managed to do that. Hit the ball probably as best as I ever have and everything seemed to go right, although I had plenty of chances for birdies but just could not convert even a 2 footer! Wouldn't have been able to manage a good score without timi as caddie! :D Thanks for that, I would have had much less of an idea where to hit to had I not had some really good advice.

After the match was over timi really nailed the last few holes with a nice bird on the final. All in all great day, thanks timi! And of course I'm happy to take your $10 :D

This was my first outing at Ozzy so was really happy to get out there. Course is just fantastic. It's good technically.....ie really interesting rather than straight boring flat tracks.......but in terms of visuals and presentation it's top notch, just fantastic. I'm considering membership there along with a few other courses, but we did get stuck behind some really slow players today towards the end, so might have to give it a few more go's before I decide.

Good win, well done; have to admit I was surprised when the result came through! (don't forget you have to give the $10 to Flavzz ................. )

As for joining Mt Os, I'd advise you to play it when it's wet before you do so, (and again when it has gotten really wet), reckon you'll change your mind :wink:

Chilled
19th February 2012, 07:51 PM
Good win, well done; have to admit I was surprised when the result came through!Oh gee thanks! haha. Sometimes I can actually string some good holes together :)

(don't forget you have to give the $10 to Flavzz ................. )I can never catch him on Blacky unfortunately, we just play different times because of work I guess. But won't forget when I see him next. We'll have to have a presentation lunch at the end of the event : )

As for joining Mt Os, I'd advise you to play it when it's wet before you do so, (and again when it has gotten really wet), reckon you'll change your mind :wink:Don't worry, yeah timi mentioned that today so I'll definitely have to check it out in winter. I've played Echunga and Highercoombe in the wet so I reckon I have some idea of wet tracks ;)

Flavzz
19th February 2012, 09:12 PM
Congrats to the winners today Chilled and Simsy. I'll update the draw for the second round tomorrow but obviously it will filter down from the original.. Feel free to get started whenever and update us on times and venues. Sorry for the boys who had to play the 2 first round matches but not much we could do with the odd number of entrants. Sounds like some very good golf was played today. I'm guessing with the different handicaps the extra shots on the hard index holes are obviously playing crucial roles in the results of the matches. Look forward to playing the 2nd round.

Flavzz
19th February 2012, 09:19 PM
Nadge u may have to give me Simsys number so I can organize the game with him. I wonder where is a neutral venue..

jasonb
19th February 2012, 09:25 PM
Simsy smacked me on the 1st nine today - his greeting to me was "hello Loser" , he made a resolution this year not to give me any money & so far he hasnt! No tied holes until the 7th & being 3 down at the turn was going to be difficult - left way too many out there today , like Tim played i played better when it was over , ended up with 33 points for the day , Simsy ended on 36 - I said I was happy to be knocked out 1st round & look forward to going 1 better next year!

Flavzz
19th February 2012, 10:03 PM
Draw re-done. 4 matches to be finished by the end of March if possible.

Bad luck Jas.. Sounds like Shaun played solid.

I think a lunch/presentation after the last match played is a good idea. Even if the day that the final is played we should try get everyone to play and the last pair will be the Finals match..

Titleist775
22nd February 2012, 01:29 PM
Chilled congrats on the winning the 1st rd. What day u normally play @ blacky ?

Chilled
22nd February 2012, 01:50 PM
Chilled congrats on the winning the 1st rd. What day u normally play @ blacky ?Chanks Titleist, as timi pointed out to me on sunday, us first rounders have it so much harder especially when blokes like nadge get a free berth in the second round :D

I normally play sundays, I try to get in as early as possible but can't book a slot until after 3pm on fridays due to slightly restricted membership rights. I'd even be keen to try a neutral track somewhere we generally don't play much. That's why I organised ozzy with timi, although I never knew that was his old stomping ground! : p

Anyways, open to suggestions, might be able to select a track from Club Advantage which is Ozzy, TTG, Vines, Flaggy and Riverside.

What are your thoughts?

Titleist775
22nd February 2012, 03:43 PM
Blacky or the vines is ok even flaggy mayb riverside .. :) i'm not fuzz this sunday is good coz me n flavzz we got off .. So we could come out to hv a game if u want .. I'll pm u my mob number

Titleist775
22nd February 2012, 03:51 PM
or mayb gully .. i dont mind :)

nadg63
22nd February 2012, 04:11 PM
Round 2 matches: Flavzz v Simsy, Chris v Nadg are booked in for The Vines on Sun 4th March @ 7.30am.

Chilled
23rd February 2012, 09:56 AM
or mayb gully .. i dont mind :)Any luck with the organise? :)

Funky_Cliff
23rd February 2012, 10:53 AM
Hey Marcel, how are the injuries going?

Chilled
24th February 2012, 09:43 AM
Round 2 match booked: Titleist775 vs Chilled are booked in for Flaggy this sunday 26th Feb @ 9:13am.

nadg63
24th February 2012, 02:15 PM
Round 2 match booked: Titleist775 vs Chilled are booked in for Flaggy this sunday 26th Feb @ 9:13am.

Take a book to read between holes/shots ...................................

jasonb
24th February 2012, 09:22 PM
Take a book to read between holes/shots ...................................

Is that meant for Titleist or both players :)

nadg63
25th February 2012, 08:56 PM
Tileist775/Chilled, good luck tomorrow guys, may the best man win, or the luckiest/jammiest - whatever! :lol:

nadg63
26th February 2012, 06:56 PM
Round 2 matches: Flavzz v Simsy, Chris v Nadg are booked in for The Vines on Sun 4th March @ 8.42am.

Flavzz/Chris note it is now 7.30am as managed to get our regular tee-off time thanks to Jason being at Clipsal and the normal 4th member of our group graciously ceding us the slot :D

Found out today that next week the course will have it's new rating in action, so the hole indexes will be changing! (the goss is that hole #4 will now be index 1)

Flavzz
26th February 2012, 07:16 PM
Noted nadge.

The mail is titleist775 got cleaned up by chilled today @Flaggy. Not sure of the final score but Chilled is the first man through to the Semi finals, congrats mate.

nadg63
26th February 2012, 07:22 PM
Noted nadge.

The mail is titleist775 got cleaned up by chilled today @Flaggy. Not sure of the final score but Chilled is the first man through to the Semi finals, congrats mate.

5&4 I heard.

Chilled
26th February 2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys. And thanks Titleist775 for a great day, he's good value to go around with. Interesting game today, the lead see-sawed, with myself taking an early lead after two holes, Titleist taking a lead through five or six holes with myself doing some scrambling to keep in touch. We both got some luck off the trees with myself getting probably the lions share of the luck today. During the middle part I took a handy lead and finishing the matchplay with four holes to go, finishing with 37 points.

Weather was much better than expected (played McCracken yesterday and the heat/wind was horrific) today - warmish, but thankfully overcast with very little wind. Flaggy track was good but very very slow at times, as you guys said it would be. Looking forward to seeing who I'll be up against next pending next weeks match of nadge and Chris.

All in all excellent day, thanks again Titleist775 and great to meet you :)

nadg63
27th February 2012, 09:01 PM
Round 2 matches: Flavzz v Simsy, Chris v Nadg are booked in for The Vines on Sun 4th March @ 7.30am.

See Sunday's forecast is rain now ............................ :( :roll:

Chris32
27th February 2012, 10:21 PM
Pissed down the last time I played there too! Oh well you can't choose the weather, let me know by the night previous if you guys are pulling the pin, I'll be leaving at 6am

nadg63
28th February 2012, 07:32 PM
Pissed down the last time I played there too!

So it's your fault! :roll:

Flavzz
28th February 2012, 07:43 PM
Can't wait for Sunday. Bring on the rain!

Chris32
28th February 2012, 08:58 PM
Possible shower and 25, nothing wrong with that! See you guys nice and early

marcel
2nd March 2012, 02:14 PM
Hey Marcel, how are the injuries going?

pm sent

nadg63
2nd March 2012, 07:30 PM
Possible shower and 25, nothing wrong with that! See you guys nice and early

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/nadg63/thunderbirdsarego.jpg

Looks like it's gonna be happening! See you Sunday morning.

Chilled
2nd March 2012, 07:52 PM
Good luck guys for this sunday, and may all your shots be in the air :D

And don't worry about the rain, it's gotta stop some time.

nadg63
2nd March 2012, 08:04 PM
Good luck guys for this sunday, and may all your shots be in the air :D

And don't worry about the rain, it's gotta stop some time.

If it chucks it down it will be the easiest win Chris is ever gonna get!

Chilled
2nd March 2012, 08:07 PM
Don't play well in the wet nadgey? :p

nadg63
2nd March 2012, 08:43 PM
Don't play well in the wet nadgey? :p

I DON'Tplay in the wet full stop!

Flavzz
4th March 2012, 03:08 PM
A good day out at the vines today with Chris v Nadge and Simsy v myself. Weather held up nicely for us and the course played really well. Greens were a bit long and slower than the past few times I've been there but the course was looking good. Chris and Nadges match got off to a fast start with Chris playing well out the gates as he birdied the first hole and par'd the next 5 to turn in almost even par I believe and 3 shots up. He then kept the pressure on and as Nadge developed a case of the shanks Chris took the match 5 and 4. Simsy and I battled hard all day with the lead never extending past 1 shot. We were all sqaure thru 9 and came down to the last hole still all square. I proceeded to hand Simsy the match with a shocking 7 on the last. To his credit he played very consistent all day and deserved the win. Congrats Chris and Simsy who move onto the semi's. Any word if Marcel and Funky Cliffs match is happening?

nadg63
4th March 2012, 04:32 PM
A good day out at the vines today with Chris v Nadge and Simsy v myself. Weather held up nicely for us and the course played really well. Greens were a bit long and slower than the past few times I've been there but the course was looking good. Chris and Nadges match got off to a fast start with Chris playing well out the gates as he birdied the first hole and par'd the next 5 to turn in almost even par I believe and 3 shots up. He then kept the pressure on and as Nadge developed a case of the shanks Chris took the match 5 and 4. Simsy and I battled hard all day with the lead never extending past 1 shot. We were all sqaure thru 9 and came down to the last hole still all square. I proceeded to hand Simsy the match with a shocking 7 on the last. To his credit he played very consistent all day and deserved the win. Congrats Chris and Simsy who move onto the semi's. Any word if Marcel and Funky Cliffs match is happening?

Yes, a good day was had by all. Knew I was in trouble from the off when Chris got an easy birdie on the first, and so it proved to be, eventually going down 5&4. To be honest I didn't think I played particularly badly, (until I had the sudden spell of the shanks set in for a few approach shots, damn I hate that! :mad: ), but Chris played solidly all round, letting nothing slip - a very worthy win. Well done mate, and was good to catch up again.

In the other match, as Flavzz says, it was close for the whole round, no-one going better than 1-up; in the end Flavzz had one bad hole, the 18th, that proved to be the difference allowing Simsy to claim the win. A very even match, glad to have been along to see it, and was good to catch up again Flavzz as been a while.

Personally I believe this has been a successful tournament, and will certainly be in the next one - role on next years!

timinsa
4th March 2012, 06:18 PM
Well played to all of you.
Great weather for it.

Funky_Cliff
5th March 2012, 08:47 AM
Sounds like a couple of good games guys.

Early on Sunday the 18th is pencilled(?) in at this stage, just waiting for Terry to confirm.

Looking forward to it, I love matchplay. :)

Flavzz
5th March 2012, 12:36 PM
Good work FC. Once ur match is done we will have the final four!

Chris32
5th March 2012, 01:55 PM
Enjoyed yesterday, thanks for the game lads. You don't see too many matches go the full 18, it was good to see you guys battle it out and feel the tension mounting on the last few holes!

Like Nadge said, he didn't play badly at all and as always was great company. My match preparation consisted of giving my golf shoes a quick shake before I popped everything in the boot, and having not touched a club since early Feb I had no expectations, but managed to keep it in play for the most part and made the turn 4 up, even par off the stick. I really like the Vines, and it was in pretty good condition considering its the end of summer.

Looking forward to playing against Chilled, I'll be out of action for the next few weeks so I'll sort out a venue via PM

This format is really cool, brings a new element to ozgolf days, and I can see this being popular in the future

catch22
5th March 2012, 06:34 PM
Sounds like a great comp, well done to all. Good to see SA having events like this instead of QLD/WA posts all the time ;)

Funky_Cliff
7th March 2012, 12:52 PM
Good work FC. Once ur match is done we will have the final four!

Hey Flavzz,

We're trying to get a game on the Sunday morning (the 18th) near the airport because Terry has to work. Do you still have any affiliation with the Pat, would we be a chance of getting an early morning tee time?

(Or anyone else for that matter)

Cheers

Chilled
10th March 2012, 06:39 PM
Looking forward to it, I love matchplay. :)Agreed funky! I think I probably enjoy it more than stableford and definitely more than stroke. Just that one on one competition is great! Waiting for someone to crack....heh

jasonb
12th March 2012, 08:50 PM
Hey Flavzz,

We're trying to get a game on the Sunday morning (the 18th) near the airport because Terry has to work. Do you still have any affiliation with the Pat, would we be a chance of getting an early morning tee time?

(Or anyone else for that matter)

Cheers

Can Terry get you onto Kooyonga ? - he should have reciprocal there being a member of RA - nice and close to the airport too!

timinsa
12th March 2012, 09:01 PM
Terry call the Pro shop at Kooey. They're pretty accomodating. Might be a squeeze on a Sunday am unless you guys play with a member though.

marcel
12th March 2012, 11:54 PM
Can Terry get you onto Kooyonga ? - he should have reciprocal there being a member of RA - nice and close to the airport too!

I can't take visitors and mornings would have to be with a member

Funky_Cliff
13th March 2012, 08:29 AM
Did you call the pat Terry?

marcel
13th March 2012, 02:29 PM
Did you call the pat Terry?

Yes, no chance on the main course, just turn up for the Executive. Are you happy to play there?, about 7.30ish?

Flavzz
13th March 2012, 02:35 PM
Hey Flavzz,We're trying to get a game on the Sunday morning (the 18th) near the airport because Terry has to work. Do you still have any affiliation with the Pat, would we be a chance of getting an early morning tee time?(Or anyone else for that matter)Cheers Sorry boys only just saw this. Unfortunately if they say it's booked out I can't change anything.. Not enough power.

Funky_Cliff
13th March 2012, 03:06 PM
Yes, no chance on the main course, just turn up for the Executive. Are you happy to play there?, about 7.30ish? Yeah, that's fine with me Terry. Haven't had a hit there in a while. Will be interesting playing matchplay on the par 60. See you at about 7.30.

marcel
13th March 2012, 09:20 PM
Small change, funky and I now doing this Sat arvo.

Flavzz
13th March 2012, 11:07 PM
Best of luck lads. Hope the shoulder is well terry.

marcel
14th March 2012, 07:01 PM
Hope the shoulder is well terry.

Only lasted 5 holes on Sat, hopefully better than that this week

Flavzz
14th March 2012, 11:15 PM
Well don't go and re injure it for the sake of this amateur event..

marcel
17th March 2012, 07:56 PM
Beautiful day at Seaton today, played as a 2 ball at the end of the field.

Funky a solid winner 5&3. Fair to say some rusty shots from both of us, we both got to blow some cobwebs out.

Match was won around and on the greens, of particular note were 2 sensational up and downs from Tony on 4 and 6.

Pleased to report my shoulder survived the hit out with no ill effects

Funky_Cliff
18th March 2012, 09:56 AM
I want to say a big thank you to terry for having me down at RA. It was a great, leisurely day out with plenty of time for chatting. As Terry said, the golf left a bit to be desired at times and I got a bit lucky around the greens making a lot of up and downs early.

Looking forward to playing simsy who is conquering all.

nadg63
18th March 2012, 01:46 PM
Beautiful day at Seaton today, played as a 2 ball at the end of the field.

Funky a solid winner 5&3. Fair to say some rusty shots from both of us, we both got to blow some cobwebs out.

Match was won around and on the greens, of particular note were 2 sensational up and downs from Tony on 4 and 6.

Pleased to report my shoulder survived the hit out with no ill effects

Glad to hear the shoulder pulled up ok Terry and congrats on the win Funky.

Flavzz
18th March 2012, 03:10 PM
Good job lads and well done Tony on the win. Glad to hear u survived the round unscathed Terry. We will have to catch up for a hit again soon.

jasonb
20th March 2012, 09:49 AM
Looking forward to playing simsy who is conquering all.

Tony, simsy's victories have been at his home track - get him out of his comfort zone & you will have a good chance :)

Funky_Cliff
20th March 2012, 01:04 PM
Tony, simsy's victories have been at his home track - get him out of his comfort zone & you will have a good chance :)

What do you reckon, get him on a goat track and see how he handles a scrapes course? ;)

nadg63
20th March 2012, 04:40 PM
Tony, simsy's victories have been at his home track - get him out of his comfort zone & you will have a good chance :) Was your home track too .......... ;-)

Courty
20th March 2012, 04:42 PM
FYI, I've moved this thread to the Matchplay section & made it a sticky. 8)

nadg63
28th March 2012, 05:40 PM
So when are the semi's taking place!?

Chris32
29th March 2012, 01:45 PM
Mine an Chilled looks like the weekend after Easter at this stage. Initially we where looking at this Sunday but I had to cancel. Looking forward to it none the less!

Chilled
30th March 2012, 08:18 AM
Mine an Chilled looks like the weekend after Easter at this stage. Initially we where looking at this Sunday but I had to cancel. Looking forward to it none the less!You'll probably kick my backside Chris! : (

Looking good for sunday week.

Funky_Cliff
3rd April 2012, 10:38 AM
What's the best way to contact Simsy? Phone, email, here?

jasonb
3rd April 2012, 12:06 PM
What's the best way to contact Simsy? Phone, email, here?

sending you his mobile # via PM

Funky_Cliff
4th April 2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks Jason.

Looks like it will probably be the last weekend in April

Funky_Cliff
24th April 2012, 09:21 AM
Did this happen Chris, Chilled?

Chris32
24th April 2012, 01:54 PM
Not as yet, I've had some other stuff I've had to deal with over the last few weeks, will organise it shortly

nadg63
25th May 2012, 02:06 PM
Not as yet, I've had some other stuff I've had to deal with over the last few weeks, will organise it shortly

Chris/Chilled :- so when is this happening!?

nadg63
10th June 2012, 09:42 PM
Chris/Chilled :- so when is this happening!?

Ditto!

Failed miserably in the 'getting the comp done before I go to the UK dept' - reckon if it's not played soon Shaun should win by default!

timinsa
11th June 2012, 12:46 PM
I think I should be awarded the victory. No reason.

nadg63
11th June 2012, 01:49 PM
I think I should be awarded the victory. No reason.

Ok, Tim is victorious - not sure at what though!? :D

Chris32
12th June 2012, 01:00 PM
Whoops, I must admit this had slipped m mind :roll:

Might be able to do this Sunday or the following Sunday, let me know what suits you Chilled

timinsa
12th June 2012, 03:23 PM
Ok, Tim is victorious - not sure at what though!? :D

Best dressed.

Chilled
12th June 2012, 06:34 PM
Might be able to do this Sunday or the following Sunday, let me know what suits you ChilledDue to an illness in the family sundays will probably be out for me. But a mate and I are playing Fleurieu for the next couple of saturdays (crack of dawn start) so happy for you to join us and make it our matchplay round. Anyone else is free to come along too if they want a hit at Compass (can get you on for member guest rates) : )

Chris32
20th June 2012, 11:14 AM
OK chilled, this sat is out for me unfortunately, perhaps the weekend after?

timinsa
20th June 2012, 11:43 AM
Did I win yet?

Chilled
20th June 2012, 01:47 PM
OK chilled, this sat is out for me unfortunately, perhaps the weekend after?Yep, most sat's for me will be mount compass, so happy for you to join us any weekend. Crack of dawn starts.

Chris32
20th June 2012, 07:54 PM
Cool that suits me, I'll be in touch early next week mate. Never played there before so I look forward to it

Chilled
21st June 2012, 10:47 AM
Great Chris, sounds good. Gives us a warm up for the final at Mount Compass. Compass is probably my favourite course as it's a really good mixture of hitting and placement; more placement and control though. Hopefully the weather is good. But I think you will enjoy the course as they have good fairways, soft greens, with something in it for everyone.

I'm thinking of having a hit up at Barossa Valley course this sat 23rd - if anyone is interested in joining me just shoot me a PM.

Chilled
28th June 2012, 07:40 AM
Well it's all set up for the semi between Chris and myself at Mount Compass early this saturday morning. Three of us playing so there is one slot left if there anyone else here who would like to join us; send me a PM.

Weather for this sat:

"Partly cloudy. Scattered showers. Small hail possible in the morning. Winds west to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h tending south to southwesterly during the day."

Not great conditions but fingers crossed we get lucky!

Flavzz
28th June 2012, 07:53 AM
Good luck lads. With the weather that is.

Chris32
28th June 2012, 08:38 AM
Its winter, hopefully we dodge most of it! Looking forward to it

Chilled
29th June 2012, 08:00 AM
Holy shit!! It better not be raining tomorrow like it is now : (

Torrential.

Chris32
29th June 2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah pretty heavy this morning! If you wanna reschedule just let me know by about 9pm tonight

Chris32
2nd July 2012, 08:28 AM
Finally had our match on Saturday which Chilled closed out with a few holes remaining 3&2.

It was a pretty even contest with the result coming down to Chilled making putts when it counted.

The weather was surprisingly good, with just the wind to contend with and the umbrella only making an appearance for a few minutes on the 3rd. I was really impressed with the course, it is a excellent layout and every hole gives you a different challenge. The wet weather in the lead up meant the course was quite wet in places, but the pin positions where all on the higher parts of the greens making approaches quite challenging but the surface dry enough to give you a true roll.

Hoping to make it back for another round for the final, it is a really good course!

Congrats to Chilled, good luck for the final lads

Chilled
2nd July 2012, 09:57 AM
Well said Chris32, and great to catch up with you again. Appreciate you coming down so far to play.

Chris32 played remarkably well for someone who has not played golf since march this year, and especially considering it's the first time he had played Compass. I half expected him to come out blasting galore with the driver (as I see most do and if you know the course that's not really the way to go), but to his credit he went sensibly with a four wood and hit some great shots off the tee.

Right from the outset I thought the game would come down to putting and in the end it was probably the putting that got me through. Chris32 let me off the hook probably twice that I can recall, so in the end I was a bit lucky that I made it through actually. Having said that I felt I played reasonably well despite a lack of form recently (I blame wintry conditions!).

The weather was an absolute highlight, we couldn't believe how lucky we were to get such a nice day with sunshine.

Hope you can make the final Chris32.

It's going to be a David and Goliath final :D

nadg63
21st July 2012, 05:36 PM
I just seen that you've played!

Congrats on the win Nick.

nadg63
29th July 2012, 12:27 PM
So when/where is the final taking place - assuming it hasn't already!?

nadg63
21st August 2012, 07:20 PM
So when/where is the final taking place - assuming it hasn't already!?

Still not happened, and it's nearly September now! (we'll be doing the draw for 2013 before 2012 is finalised ......................... )

nadg63
5th November 2012, 05:15 PM
Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Chris32
6th November 2012, 01:34 PM
Yeah any updates?

nadg63
8th November 2012, 05:02 PM
Yeah any updates?

Yes, the latest is there is no latest!

Chris32
8th November 2012, 07:40 PM
Coin toss?

nadg63
9th November 2012, 02:23 PM
Coin toss?

More like couldn't give a toss after all this time .........................

Chilled
12th November 2012, 10:59 AM
Well I've asked nadg63 to pass on my number to Shaun so he can contact me to organise a final at Mt Compass. I'm a member and I play at Mt Compass every saturday morning (well most saturdays anyways) so he just needs to join us anytime and it's a done deal. Happy to make it a sunday rather than a saturday even. I'm flexible. Just waiting to hear from Shaun...

nadg63
10th January 2013, 04:06 PM
Well as it is now 2013 and the final for 2012 never happened I reckon it is now officially dead!

timinsa
10th January 2013, 10:35 PM
I win by default!

nadg63
11th January 2013, 05:01 PM
I win by default!

We have a winnerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! ;-) :-)

Chris32
13th January 2013, 08:11 PM
Lets call it a draw then!

Flavzz
13th January 2013, 08:43 PM
Lets call it a draw then! :D Useless!

nadg63
14th January 2013, 06:36 PM
Lets call it a draw then!

Love it Chris, one of my favourite movies, (just behind 'Brian')