PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Golf CLub Master Plan

golfbound
19th January 2012, 04:20 PM
Virginia Golf Club is pleased to announce that they have appointed Wayne Grady Golf Design to commence a 27 hole Masterplan Design.

Virginia Golf Club’s Secretary Manager, David Bell said “Work has started on the Concept Design and the final Masterplan will be completed early this year at which time the Club’s members will have the opportunity to give their feedback on the Plan prior to giving formal approval. Pending final approval, the implementation of the changes to the course will be a gradual process.”

1990 USA PGA Winner Wayne Grady has had a long association with the club and is delighted to be involved in this project.

“Although starting my career at the Redcliffe Golf Club, I joined Virginia when we moved closer to Brisbane.

Back then the club had a rich history of well known golfers like Sommie Mackay and Australian Amateur Champion Jack Rayner as well as a new member who would go on to be the No. 1 player in the world, Greg Norman.” Wayne said.

He added “There were many other strong players and making the club's pennant side was no easy feat. Many went on to represent Queensland so on reflection you could say that although difficult it was a great learning experience growing up with such seasoned performers.

I still have a strong tie to the club so it is with great pleasure and excitement that I look forward to working on the Masterplan for the refurbishment and upgrading of a Club that has played such a big part in my life.”

Virginia Golf Club believes it is the only Golf Club in the world that can boast that two of its former Club Champions have gone on to win a golfing major and as David Bell puts it, “it is fantastic that one of Virginia’s favourite sons and one of our two Major Champions can now play a leading part in improving the Course of Champions for a whole new generation of champions!”.

sms316
19th January 2012, 04:33 PM
Everyone raves about Grady's work at Ipswich.

Marto65
19th January 2012, 05:16 PM
I think Sommie Mackay is playing at Brisbane this weekend.

If he doesnt stuff it up, I might even join there ... it's close enough ...

Moe Norman
19th January 2012, 05:24 PM
omfg, do clubs do ANY due diligence?!

his work is so well received at Ipswich and Brisbane...

live4golf
19th January 2012, 05:42 PM
he's doing Wyong too

TheTrueReview
19th January 2012, 05:48 PM
So the consensus is that he's grossly incompetent?

live4golf
19th January 2012, 05:56 PM
So the consensus is that he's grossly incompetent?

I like what I see at Wyong. He and his organisation are doing the design and the green staff are doing the work. I'll reserve my judgement until the chages start coming in, we nearly have a couple of holes ready to go.

TheTrueReview
19th January 2012, 05:58 PM
I like what I see at Wyong. He and his organisation are doing the design and the green staff are doing the work. I'll reserve my judgement until the chages start coming in, we nearly have a couple of holes ready to go.

So the jury is out at Wyong but Grady's completely stuffed every other course he's touched?

Daves
19th January 2012, 06:08 PM
omfg, do clubs do ANY due diligence?!

his work is so well received at Ipswich and Brisbane...

Which holes did he do at Brisbane?

BrettM
19th January 2012, 06:46 PM
Daves - he had a go at remodelling 11 - 13. Work on 11 was green contouring, 12 was top of the fairway, and 13 was green contouring and addition of the greenside bunker (which was originally one bunker).

They have also gradually worked on Batemans Bay for many years.

markTHEblake
19th January 2012, 07:19 PM
Does Wayne Grady actually do the design work? or does he have a team and he just turns up for the promo shoots.

markTHEblake
19th January 2012, 07:41 PM
Someone we played golf with a couple times?

jaybam
19th January 2012, 08:32 PM
Well there goes Virginia.

carso87
19th January 2012, 08:36 PM
I'm not quite sure what to make of the master plan at this stage.

Guess I will withhold judgement until after they release the details. So long as it turns out better than Ipswich, that course is horrible...

Moe Norman
19th January 2012, 11:42 PM
Which holes did he do at Brisbane? He responsible for 7,8,11,12,13 Yep, that's the worst 5 holes on the course. The 11-13 stretch is really quie embarassing

BrettM
20th January 2012, 10:33 AM
He responsible for 7,8,11,12,13 Yep, that's the worst 5 holes on the course. The 11-13 stretch is really quie embarassing

No, they weren't responsible for 7 & 8. Those were designed and built by Greensite whose director used to be the brother in law of the Super during the 80 & 90's. Greensite also designed 11 - 13 originally but built by the club. Grady's work on those holes was primarily aimed at trying to improve playability. Unfortunately the damage had already been done by Greensite not supervising construction properly at the time (1999/2000). Things really went pear shaped when the Super was jailed for fraud during construction. Greensite are no longer in the architecture business.

PeteyD
20th January 2012, 10:40 AM
11 needs a lake and a water fountain.

Are those holes through where the extra 9 holes used to be?

BrettM
20th January 2012, 10:42 AM
11 needs a D9 put through it. And yes, those holes are where the public 9 hole course used to be.

PeteyD
20th January 2012, 10:49 AM
I can't understand that mentality. Putting up with shit to maintain par. The old courses in the UK don't care about par.

Marto65
20th January 2012, 10:55 AM
I dont mind 12 ... but 11 and 13 are not good holes.

13 would be a great hole if only it was 20-30 yards shorter. The green is not set-up to hold a 3-4 iron, let alone a hybrid-fairway wood.

7 and 8 were done out of necessity because of the road. They're not bad holes ...

PeteyD
20th January 2012, 11:02 AM
Could be awesome if you bulldozed it and started again

Marto65
20th January 2012, 11:24 AM
steady son....it would be better but not great.

20 yards shorter ... and move the tee to the right ..

Jarro
20th January 2012, 12:03 PM
20 yards shorter ... and move the tee to the right ..

Yep i agree.

Where we hit from the other day we played there, it left you no real chance of getting anywhere near a back right pin.

Shortening it a bit might help us mere mortals while still making it a tough pin to get at for the better players.

Daves
3rd June 2012, 12:48 PM
http://www.virginia-golf.com.au/images/stories/documents/VGC%20Masterplan%20Layout%20-%202012-04-17.pdf

Daves
3rd June 2012, 02:21 PM
http://www.virginia-golf.com.au/images/stories/documents/VGC Masterplan Layout - 2012-04-17.pdf

So was the brief, "who wants a shitload of money?", we have plenty?!! Seriously!:shock::roll: Oh and it is chute, not shoot!:roll:

AndyP
3rd June 2012, 07:48 PM
I saw "Wayne Grady Golf Design" and didn't read anymore. Why wouldn't they do the same?