PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with grip size

matty
18th January 2012, 09:21 PM
For those who know a bit about grips.

I'm going to give regripping a try for the first time. Before I buy a set, I want to make sure I get the correct size.

If I have two wraps on my current clubs, which of the Golf Pride Tour Wraps from those pictured in the link would be the correct size?

http://www.golfpride.com/Grips/Default.aspx?cat=noncord&grip=tourwrap

Secondly, what does core size mean? Is it important?

Stuartd147
18th January 2012, 09:50 PM
Core size is the diameter of your shafts at the top. You have KBS Tour and these are .600" or the "60 Round" as they refer to it. I think you can make grips thicker in three ways...

a) buy 60 round standards and add more wraps
b) buy 60 round's in mid size and forget the wraps
c) buy 58 round's in standard, because these are designed for thinner shafts they are thicker grips to get the outside diameter back to standard thickness, however thse are harder to put on to .600 shafts - I just add this as an example of a 3rd option...duh

...got that?

timah!
18th January 2012, 09:51 PM
Do you currently have standard or midsize?

Whether you get .580 core or .600 core depends on the shaft size.

I pinched this from golfwrx:

"A .580 core grip on a .580 diameter shaft will produce a men's standard size grip.

A .600 core grip on a .600 diameter shaft will produce a men's standard size grip - the material in the grip is thinner than the .580 core grip.

A .580 core grip on a .600 diameter shaft will produce a grip that is .020" over size - common today on many OEM clubs and considered the "new standard installation" though not officially the new men's standard size."

matty
18th January 2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks boys. Think I'll go 60 core grip for a standard size without the wraps.

You guys know a link for a air gun for the grips?
Found a decent looking one on eBay in the states for about $50 to my door. Couldn't find anything local.

timah!
18th January 2012, 10:24 PM
Matty, supercheap auto compressor accessories pack...like $15...

popper81
18th January 2012, 10:33 PM
Matty, supercheap auto compressor accessories pack...like $15...

Or just borrow Timmy's..... That is what I do :)

timah!
18th January 2012, 10:33 PM
Or just borrow Timmy's..... That is what I do :)

I have a spare :roll:

goonie
20th January 2012, 02:49 PM
Most grips have the size under the tin end of the grip, if you roll the grip up a little you should be able to see it
What grips and size do you have now?
Are they the right size?

kev
21st January 2012, 09:48 AM
The dildemma works well if you want something thicker to grip.

matty
22nd January 2012, 11:16 PM
Most grips have the size under the tin end of the grip, if you roll the grip up a little you should be able to see it
What grips and size do you have now?
Are they the right size?

Got leather grips. 2 wraps, I believe. Changing them because some of the leather overlaps are peeling back. Interestingly it's on the 3, 4, and 5 irons. It's not too bad, just annoying me. I suspect I am coming down too steep and hard on to the ball (swingfault?).

Had the whole set fitted. They're the right size.