PDA

View Full Version : Is it really worth it?!

sirdaan
17th January 2012, 08:34 PM
I'm just a social player of golf at the moment. I like heading out with my stepson (who is a member of the local golf club and has made SAPSASA teams) or even just go out by myself. I get intimidated when people I don't know watch me play and often fluff the shot if they do.

I aim to play once a week. As I am a teacher I get my share of holidays, so during that period it is more than once a week if I can help it. At some stages during the year it becomes once a month, so it all sort of evens itself out to ABOUT once a week.

Getting a "handicap" doesn't worry me so much at this stage, because at the moment my avg score per round is about 104. Therefore am not going to want to play competitions on the weekend either due to my poor ability, especially around a crowd.

So my question to you is, "is it really worth getting a club membership?"

My local golf club charges $800. I know that compared to many other courses that is very cheap. But I also play cricket, and that only costs me $150. To front up with $800 is a big deal for me. I know in the long run by paying $35 each time I am paying way more than $800/yr but I pay that as I go so it doesn't seem like such a big deal.

I also remember reading in an earlier thread that members think social players are scum sometimes, but I don't get that. I pay my way each time and don't hold people up... if they are catching me I wait and let them through.

So what's the advantages of becoming a member? Why did you become one? What's your advice to me?

Cheers
Dan

catch22
17th January 2012, 08:53 PM
I would ask whether you can pay monthly, then its hurts less when your forking it out!
I am lucky and only pay $365 per year, so for me it works out way ahead - but at $35 per week it sounds like you would be better off getting membership (unless you quit/get injured).

As for being a member, if you want to play saturday/sunday mornings it would be pretty hard to get on I imagine if your not a member? Are there cheaper courses that are close? When I'm staying up in Gawler I play with my wife's Uncle/Aunty and Kapunda and it's quite cheap (although its only a 9 hole course its not too bad, and I think membership is only $300). Although if you play with your son in law I'd imagine you would want to play on his home course...

Anyway, I'm just starting out at golf so I'll let others comment who have been playing a lot longer

Dotty
17th January 2012, 09:00 PM
Same as joining a cricket club, you get to play with like-minded people, and generally in competition. (Unlike most sports, you will cheer for the 'opposition' playing alongside you, as it is good to bring home the winner of the 80-200 players in that days comp.)

There is also the social aspect of club life, whether for a drink, a meal or just a free of charge hit after work (and use of practice facilities).

As well as the $800/yr subscription, you may be up for another $5-$10 per competition round, to cover prizes, running the comp and a little general club revenue.

Another alternative is a social golf club, either through work (our bank has one), pub or some other common interest group, such as RSL, fishing or nationality club. They don't run a course, but block book tee-times at various courses about once a month. You pay the social rate, and little more to the social golf club for the prizes.

Webster
17th January 2012, 09:04 PM
Best not to join if you can't break 100 - you will be too slow and nobody will want to play with you.

Daves
17th January 2012, 09:04 PM
If you have no interest in getting a handicap at this stage then it is a numbers and convenience decision. What are the greens fees if you play as a non member? How hard is it to get on as a non member when you want to play? I usually play at least 2 to 3 rounds a week so would average 100 rounds or more on my home course, i.e. is about $10 a round, and I rarely have a problem booking a round when I want to. That is what membership buys you. Ignore the social player scum comments, just trolls trying to get a bite.

CobraSS
19th January 2012, 10:56 AM
Best not to join if you can't break 100 - you will be too slow and nobody will want to play with you.

:smt079