PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 15 August 2005

AndyP
17th August 2005, 10:05 AM
Wow! First time I've started one of these. How exciting for me. :roll:

16/08/2005, Murray Downs CC, Social Round

Only my second round of golf in seven weeks, so I wasn't expecting to play too well. Unfortunately I played pretty well for the front nine which raised my expectations, only to play ordinary on the back nine.

Had a really good day with the driver to set up holes, but just couldn't do the job with the rest of the game.
Got greenside (including in bunkers) within two shots on three of the par 5s, yet only parred one and bogeyed the other two. Very disappointing.
Bunker play was woeful. You would think if you got in them plenty of times during a round, you would get better as the day went on. Not the case for me.
Had a bit of trouble getting up & down too, not sure if this was because of my time off from golf or I'm not used to the check of the ProV1s, as a lot of chips were coming up short.
Fortunately the putting was fairly solid.

Overall though, I still scored OK, and left plenty out there, as per usual.

9/14 effective T-shots.
3/18 effective approaches.
0/7 sand saves.
33 putts.
----------------------------
6 pars.
8 bogeys.
2 doubles.
2 other.
Score 42-48-90 nett 78 (Par 36-36-72)

sominc
17th August 2005, 08:32 PM
Backed up this week with another 78 gross 63 nett at indooroopilly GC. Only hit 6 of 14 fairways but usually only just in rough. The best part of my game atm is the long irons and chiping. Didnt hit one bad iron shot from 170+ mtrs out all day:D had lots of lip outs but my putting its getting real close. Cant wait untill my driver starts going consistently straight :D

6/14 fairways
1/1 sand saves
32 putts :wink:

2 bridies
8 pars
8 bogeys

score was 40 - 38

Flowergirl
18th August 2005, 09:24 AM
Had a woeful 28 points yesterday. Kept hitting them in the trees :shock: Had some great recovery shots which was fun :D Oh well - there's always next week - isn't there :wink:

Grunt
18th August 2005, 12:46 PM
Played Camden this morning, shot 36 points :lol: but also :? could have been way better,I am stiking the ball so well I keep hitting the wrong club into greens.

I can get this handicap going the right way I know I can.

peter_rs
19th August 2005, 09:17 AM
I had quick round around Alice Springs this morning. took 2 hours in a cart. par 72 6196m course record 64, This course suprised me it is a great course with even better greens. A lot of sand and rock hazards. There was a big wind today, so it was irsh golf (bump & run). I had a rental set of PGF clubs, the woods were reg steel so I didn't even try and hit them. So I used 3 iron off the tee, and did it work, 90 (67 nett) is very good for me when your trying to play fast on a new course and new clubs.

To give you and idea of the wind into it a good 3 iron was 200m avg 190. down wind a different world avg was 240m the longest was 270m. :lol: thats right you read it 270m, I hit 3 iron 5 iron onto a 491m par 5. (They had just watered so there was not huge run- the fairways were not that hard I could still that divots :lol: . The putter I used had putts dropping from everywhere 32 putts, the greens where true and fast.

amanda
19th August 2005, 09:40 AM
Great stuff Peter - I love Alice Springs GC - I'm amazed you got around in 2 hours though - must have been nobody on the course!

Grunt
19th August 2005, 02:36 PM
Played Cambelltown today, just a social round with a mate, pretty good golf still, shot gross 95 nett 70. Another could have been anything day though with a 9 on a relatively safe par 5 & a 6 on a easy par 3, I blew the bunker shots :?

That big Handicap crushing score is getting closer. :lol:

cazandpaul
19th August 2005, 05:38 PM
26 points :oops: golf sucks - playing again Wednesday 8)

Grunt
20th August 2005, 03:04 PM
Played Mac Grange with the guys this morning 39 points WOO HOO, the handicap will go the right way again :lol:

jimandr
20th August 2005, 03:31 PM
A frustrating day at Macarthur Grange with Grunt and others. Every time I play there I walk away thinking I should've been 5 or 6 better.

33 points. The stats make this round look better than it was.

Fairways = 9 of 12
Greens = 10 of 18, but 0 of 6 on the par 3's.
Putts = 35, 2 three putts, 1 birdie.
Up and Down = 2 of 7 :(
Sand Saves = 0 of 1.

All the par 5's are reachable, and I hit poor drives each time, except the 18th.

Courty
20th August 2005, 03:59 PM
Took the new irons (and wedges) for a run today in a 4BBB stableford. My partner & I didn't work particularly well together, scoring only 41 pts (23/18 ). But I surprised myself with my ball-striking. After not playing for 6 weeks, and this being only my 2nd game back, I expected to be rubbish. But I actually played pretty good considering. I would have been even par around the front except for some average putting (+3). The back wasn't quite so good, but I didn't hit too many bad shots. Maybe it will all come back quicker than I though? :roll:

sominc
20th August 2005, 06:01 PM
Played single stab today 39 points :evil: should have been MUCH better. Was only 3 over off the stick on the front and then the legs fell off on the back (bloody pressure gets to me every time) Was putting and chiping quite well which saved me on the back nine :wink: Couldnt hit the driver straight on the back nine only found 1 fairway :evil: but putted and chipped quite well :D Anyway not a bad outing but should have had atleast 41-42 points.

6/14 Fairways found
9/18 GIR
1/1 Sand Saved
28 putts (loving the new putter :D )

23 points on the front :D , 16 points on the back :evil:

McMw
20th August 2005, 09:35 PM
went around in 74 today...without hitting any really decent shots...so will take it...
just bummed abt bogey on the last... :?

cazandpaul
21st August 2005, 04:17 AM
Caz had 3rd and final round of Business Ladies champs - 83 net 75 (par 73) to finish 2nd in the gross and 1st in the net - started double double so was happy with the final score.

Pinglauncher
21st August 2005, 03:00 PM
39 points today and overall was a good solid round. I am hoping a big one is just around the corner :)

amanda
21st August 2005, 05:25 PM
31 points on Saturday - for some stupid reason the match committee has ruled that people playing matchplay during the Sat comp must also play in the comp - so I won the matchplay 2 up :D but wasn't really thinking about the stableford score.

Usually matchplay participants don't pay the comp fee since we're not supposed to be playing in the comp at all - it all sounds a little fishy - might have to write a letter querying the whole deal.

McMw
21st August 2005, 06:02 PM
got shown how to play proper golf by the kid today...
for someone who's had 2 weeks off golf becoz of exams...and only hit 200 balls last night, a 76 was remarkable!!! topped off nicely with a bird at the end there...

I went around in 78...with 2 oobs, couple of lips, a broken 3wood... :roll: :roll:

terryand
21st August 2005, 06:22 PM
got shown how to play proper golf by the kid today...
for someone who's had 2 weeks off golf becoz of exams...and only hit 200 balls last night, a 76 was remarkable!!! topped off nicely with a bird at the end there...

I went around in 78...with 2 oobs, couple of lips, a broken 3wood...  :roll:  :roll:

What happened....Did your bag fall on a tree :lol: :lol:

Terry.

Fishman Dan
21st August 2005, 07:33 PM
35 pts yesterday with 2 wipes.

Could've, would've, wasn't.

4 lipouts in the first 7 holes. My 5th or 6th lipout (on the 12th) was the first from under 3 feet.

Behind the card all day, ahead by 1 after par's on the 16th and 17th (my first lip-IN!), and wiped the last :roll:

Grunt
22nd August 2005, 06:15 AM
Played final round of C grade pennants and got up 2 & 1. :lol:

marcel
22nd August 2005, 06:50 AM
- for some stupid reason the match committee has ruled that people playing matchplay during the Sat comp must also play in the comp

amanda,
write to the NSWGA and ask them if it is allowable within the rules of golf.
I'm guessing it's not, if so you can then present your committee with their reply.

Grunt
22nd August 2005, 07:12 AM
Amanda

Our matchplay cannot be played alongside comp games. You can't play in both I mean.

amanda
22nd August 2005, 11:14 AM
thanks marcel and grant - I was pretty sure that was the case - will chase that up with them.

Fishman Dan
22nd August 2005, 11:25 AM
Amanda

Our matchplay cannot be played alongside comp games. You can't play in both I mean.

I've heard this too.

But you can play the Comp, and THEN your matchplay (36 holes in a day) - or is it the other way around. Basically one discipline gets you DQ'd from the other because you would have tested the course configuration.

oz
22nd August 2005, 11:36 AM
Played my worst stableford round for many moons yesterday.... Finished with 27 points.... I just felt totally unconfortable over the ball yesterday, and my rhythm was non-existent.... Finally started to find something toward the end of the round, and finished the tough finishing stretch well.... :roll:

amanda
22nd August 2005, 11:36 AM
Fishy - you could play the comp round then the matchplay as you can test the course for matchplay.

miro
22nd August 2005, 12:09 PM
amanda -I don't believe it is legally possible to play both as there are differing and conflicting rules with regard to certain events occuring.

Your club is just trying to take a comp fee from you.

Fishman Dan
22nd August 2005, 01:22 PM
amanda -I don't believe it is legally possible to play both as there are differing and conflicting rules with regard to certain events occuring.

Your club is just trying to take a comp fee from you.

Surely not?! Do you really think that a club that is about to undertake massive redevelopments would do such a thing?? :roll: :lol:

amanda
22nd August 2005, 01:49 PM
Could they charge me a fee for playing the matchplay? We don't pay green fees (other than our annual subs)

3oneday
22nd August 2005, 02:04 PM
Some clubs charge a fee for going in the NTP's when you are playing matchplay, otherwise you'd pay nothing. I did experience at Windsor though when they made us pay $5, and each match winner won a ball in the ball comp :P . Some clubs are just greedy I guess.

Pete

Grunt
22nd August 2005, 02:16 PM
Amanda

I've heard this too.

But you can play the Comp, and THEN your matchplay (36 holes in a day) - or is it the other way around. Basically one discipline gets you DQ'd from the other because you would have tested the course configuration.

36 holes in a day is what I have to do next weekend with our Matchplay championships.

AndyP
31st August 2005, 02:38 PM
19/08/2005, Commonwealth GC, Social Round.

Played a round with Jack and Henry at this nice course.
Wasn't in the right state of mind to play golf of any quality. In fact, I played very poorly. As a result, I no longer track stats for social rounds, and just want to concentrate on enjoying the company and the course.

Was a bit stray with the driver, and at Commonwealth that means trouble. Once I started playing bad I started playing dumb. It only got worse.

Found putting really tough on those greens too. However it was fun to play a couple of bump and run shots with the rescue. Don't usually do that sort of thing, but the course seemed to require those sorts of shots sometimes.

Did have an OK patch near the end, but it was already a disaster.

Score 52-47-99 (Par 36-37-73) :oops:

BrisVegas
31st August 2005, 06:20 PM
19/08/2005, Commonwealth GC, Social Round.

Played a round with Jack and Henry at this nice course.  
Score 52-47-99 (Par 36-37-73) :oops:

99 eh? From the rumours I'd expected much worse. Were you aware you had a putt on the last to break 100 ?? :oops:

AndyP
31st August 2005, 06:47 PM
99 eh? From the rumours I'd expected much worse. Were you aware you had a putt on the last to break 100 ?? :oops:
No. I don't keep track of my score as per Dr. Bob's teachings. ;)

Webster
1st September 2005, 07:38 PM
AndyP,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your game with Henry and I - good to catch up.

I'm always happy to arrange a game for anyone heading into sunny Victoria, expecially now that the weather is warming up and the courses will soon be coming into peak condition.

And dont worry too much about the score on the day - Commonwealth with its tight fairways and small sloping greens finds sorts out most players first time around.

Cheer, Jack.

McMw
1st September 2005, 07:41 PM
Jack - isit a members only course??? and if it is, easy to get on???

AndyP
1st September 2005, 08:04 PM
And dont worry too much about the score on the day - Commonwealth with its tight fairways and small sloping greens finds sorts out most players first time around.
I would have had a bad score anywhere, Commonwealth just made it even worse.
Thanks again for hosting me.

McMw, I only got on the course because I was with Jack, so it is an exclusive course.

Webster
1st September 2005, 10:14 PM
Jack - isit a members only course??? and if it is, easy to get on???

Lets just say I have a good mate who is a member there.

Jim
3rd September 2005, 06:27 AM
99 eh?  From the rumours I'd expected much worse.  Were you aware you had a putt on the last to break 100 ??  :oops:Still should have been good enough to beat Henry. :smt082

AndyP
4th September 2005, 04:06 PM
99 eh?  From the rumours I'd expected much worse.  Were you aware you had a putt on the last to break 100 ??  :oops:Still should have been good enough to beat Henry. :smt082
I'll agree since I know that he is unable to reply. :mrgreen: