PDA

View Full Version : Project X vs KBS C-Taper

braddles
17th January 2012, 04:10 PM
Has anyone compared these two shafts? I am looking at getting either PX 6.0 or KBS C-Taper S+ in a set of Titleist 712 MBs or AP2s. I like the PXs, however I haven't tried the C-Tapers. I am looking to reduce the spin on my irons shots (currently playing s300).

Steve57
17th January 2012, 04:48 PM
Talk to one of the clubmakers on here - Virge, Tomson, Tourfit or Perci.
One of them should be able to help.

hardboiled
17th January 2012, 04:57 PM
If you are going the C Taper route, look at the R+ as comparable to S300's or PX6.0.I have played S300 and PX6.0 and found the Stiff really boardy in the C Tapers.

braddles
17th January 2012, 04:59 PM
I find the s300 soft, which is the main reason for new irons . My driver SS is around 112mph - I was thinking of soft stepping the C-Taper S+.

Tomson
17th January 2012, 05:01 PM
If you want to lower spin/ lower traj, then go for the c tapers. Compared to px 6.0 they are boardy but its not a bad feel at all.

timinsa
17th January 2012, 05:15 PM
I have many sets of irons. My current gamers have C Taper S+ in them ( I think they were Tomsons). Normally I use S400s or KBS Tour X softstepped. I've played PX from 5.5 thru to 7.0.
The C Tapers are money compared to the S400/X100 IMHO. Great ball flight & slightly longer carry...3-4m. They feel softer than they play. I don't agree with the boardy comments but that's just me.
My SS is identical to yours & I have a quick tempo. Your SS will handle them just fine I'd say.
I'm at RA so next time you're in Adelaide look me up & we'll have a hit at your reciprocal course.

braddles
17th January 2012, 06:57 PM
I am hoping the Titleist fitting van comes to my course soon - they are supposed to be coming this month. I am not sure whether they will have C-Tapers though.

Satin 712MBs and C-Tapers would look good!

Scifisicko
25th February 2012, 05:43 PM
what did you end up doing? I have transitioned to the C taper S (from PX 6.0). If you live in Melbourne and can meet me at the range you are welcome to try them (in mp60 heads @ +1/4 and 2 degrees flat). FWIW they feel closer to a PX 5.5 to me (flex-wise).

braddles
26th February 2012, 12:28 AM
My Titleist 712MBs with C-Tapers arrived a couple of days ago. I am not sure about the feel. My SS is around 112mph and the S+ may be too stiff or they feel quite stiff.

I struck it poorly yesterday (first round with them), however will try and hit a few on the range today. The mid irons do go further. I hit a 5 iron from 178m into a strong wind and flew the green. Also hit a 6 iron from 175 downwind and flew it past the pin. The short irons seems to go roughly the same distance as the s300.

I did notice that they work extremely well for punch shots from under trees!

Scifisicko
2nd March 2012, 09:55 AM
I wish i could take back my last post. Over the last 4 days ive had the chance to hit a few hundred balls in a paddock comparing the PX6 to C Taper S. C Taper in j36CB, PX 6 in mp60. Both are bent to same specs. Both shafts were spined (just in case it does anything) and play 0.25 over standard length (I am 186cm)

Comparisson based on hitting a mix of v1x and b330 balls, odd numbers with PX, evens with C Taper, using the 6I in both sets. 6I swing speed is high 80s, HCP 3. Grass was cut short and ground was wet. Almost every shot plugged (or finished next to a deep plug mark) so there was max 1 yard of roll either way with both. The shots hit with the CT were roughly in the middle and 5 meters short of the shots hit with the PX. The quality of the strike with the CT was a little better than with the PX6, as in i was able to return the sweet spot to the ball more often as shown by a sharpie lines transfered to the face from the ball. I got these results consistently over 4 days of intermitent testing

The C Taper has a much more muted and progressive kick, and a different sound at impact. It suited me right from the first strike.

From the results it would seem it plays stiffer than the PX6 despite feeling to me like it plays a little softer. I have ordered a single R+ 7I shaft and will try it hard stepped. I will also try soft stepping the S and head back to the paddock.

QldHacker
3rd February 2014, 02:22 PM
Has anyone got any feedback on the C taper compared to the project x? It has been a while since everyone posted on them, what are you thoughts now?