PDA

View Full Version : WTF is with people???

Lagerlover
16th January 2012, 06:20 PM
This afternoon I was the first on the scene to a lady who tried to take her own life using a car and a tree. I know there are a lot of people who deal with this on a daily basis, but this was my first.
The lady although still alive was in a bit of a mess, and had obviously taken alcohol and some tablets, as evident in her speech and bottle and foil pack on the car floor.

What I am having trouble coming to terms with is the lack of respect people show toward others in this situation.
The first car after me stopped and offered assistance, the second was a thirty something bloke hell bent on taking pictures on his phone. He only left after I opened his door to explain this was inappropriate.
The ambulance was there within four minutes, soon followed by THREE towies. Two from Bayside Towing and one from Ready Towing.

Straight after the lady was helped into the ambulance the first towie from Bayside had his foot up on the step to the ambulance. I spoke to the second ambo about this guys lack of respect, he told me to just ignore it.
I told the guy to fruck off and give everyone a bit of space, " this is what we do pal" was the response.

Are we that cold, what's a job worth, $50, $60??? This prick was going to get his "job" anyway. I felt like taking my wallet out and paying him to puss off. Kind of puts things into perspective on a number of levels....

Ferrins
16th January 2012, 06:25 PM
Have to be $150 plus for a tow.

Lagerlover
16th January 2012, 06:28 PM

ddasey
16th January 2012, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately it happens all the time.

Tow truck operators are not supposed to 'solicite' for the tow.

Tow fee would have been a minimum $290.

Eag's
16th January 2012, 06:45 PM
They sound like a bunch of ratbags :-s

Lagerlover
16th January 2012, 06:46 PM
As I ended with, puts things into perspective on a number of levels.... Thank god I have a more civil job.

The germ is probably a contractor paid per job, would be surprised if his cut is three figures.

paulyboy
16th January 2012, 06:48 PM
Was the poor lady going to be ok?

sms316
16th January 2012, 06:49 PM
Is the tree ok?

Lagerlover
16th January 2012, 06:57 PM
Was the poor lady going to be ok?

Physically yes. This sounds a bit cold, and I only understood some of what she was trying to tell me, but I can not imagine how it would feel when you feel like you have failed at everything, then you fail at doing what you want to be the last thing you do

Lagerlover
16th January 2012, 07:00 PM
Is the tree ok?

I'll get back to you, I think 12 hours is about the minimum

Webster
16th January 2012, 07:11 PM
Is the tree ok?

Leave the tree alone Shorn

markTHEblake
16th January 2012, 08:43 PM
I thought the Tow Truck drivers charge about $500 for an insurance job, thats why they hustle for them, plus I imagine they have seen plenty of worse situations and thus have a fairly thick skin by now. Though I agree, they are still scum and so is everyone else that overcharges on insurance work.

AndyP
16th January 2012, 08:51 PM
People suck.

markTHEblake
16th January 2012, 08:51 PM
Trees are more important than people, everyone knows that. Just ask any Greeny.

Toolish
16th January 2012, 09:33 PM
A few years back I had a crash and was chatting to the towie...he said something about if they don't show up to an accident in their assigned areas within a certain time they can get fined. Not sure how true this is or how exactly it works.

TheTrueReview
16th January 2012, 09:47 PM
... Tow Truck drivers ... I agree, they are still scum ....

From the same primal swamp as papparazzi.

matty
16th January 2012, 09:53 PM
90% of towie's are scum, usually disrespectful of the situations they encounter, and have no empathy for victims. It sounds like you did everything expected of a decent person, Lagerlover. Don't think too much about the bad side of humanity. It'll get you down.

I read an interview with an Aussie bloke who was on that cruise ship that crashed the other day. He said there were a heap of Italian men, I think he referred to them as 'gutless bastards', who pushed women and children out of the way and jumped in the life boats, even leaving their wives. Just gotta shake your head.

Lagerlover
16th January 2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks Marty

timah!
16th January 2012, 09:55 PM
It sounds like you did everything expected of a decent person, Lagerlover.

+1 - Well done for your actions. I've done a few first aid courses and thankfully have only had to use that knowledge once.

Moe Norman
17th January 2012, 10:06 AM
people that try to kill themselves and fail, obviously never wanted to really kill themselves in the first place. How hard can it be?

Massive cry for help.

Daves
17th January 2012, 10:45 AM
Oh to be so wise.

The (illegal) kickbacks from the Panel Beaters is also pretty hefty for the Toey's as I understand it.

Veefore
17th January 2012, 10:53 AM
people that try to kill themselves and fail, obviously never wanted to really kill themselves in the first place. How hard can it be?Massive cry for help.It's actually quite hard when you are trying to do it on purpose.

rodders
17th January 2012, 10:56 AM
people that try to kill themselves and fail, obviously never wanted to really kill themselves in the first place. How hard can it be?

Massive cry for help.

Remember years ago a lady tried to take her life by running into head on a semi in Launceston. She was successful (she left a note saying she was going to do it) but I worked at a firm that acted for the truck driver. He was completely f. Was easy for me to be angry at that lady for ruining this blokes life but made me think that clearly when she did this she was focused purely on her own circumstances and most likely didn't comprehend the effect this would have on the other driver and his family. Then again, I wasn't there or living with the consequences.

You sound like a decent bloke Lagerlover - well handled.

Marto65
17th January 2012, 11:24 AM
Remember years ago a lady tried to take her life by running into head on a semi in Launceston. She was successful (she left a note saying she was going to do it) but I worked at a firm that acted for the truck driver. He was completely f. Was easy for me to be angry at that lady for ruining this blokes life but made me think that clearly when she did this she was focused purely on her own circumstances and most likely didn't comprehend the effect this would have on the other driver and his family. Then again, I wasn't there or living with the consequences.

You sound like a decent bloke Lagerlover - well handled.

People do that to train drivers all the time. Would be the worlds worst job I reckon.

Moe ... I wish a mate of mine had failed in his attempt, then I wouldnt have had to go to his funeral when he drove into a pylon on the Sunshine Coast about a year ago.

Moe Norman
17th January 2012, 11:39 AM
Moe ... I wish a mate of mine had failed in his attempt, then I wouldnt have had to go to his funeral when he drove into a pylon on the Sunshine Coast about a year ago.

i think most of us wish these people failed at their attempts, cause when they do its likely their last ditch cry for some much needed help.

Chris32
17th January 2012, 12:11 PM
i think most of us wish these people failed at their attempts, cause when they do its likely their last ditch cry for some much needed help.

I know first hand from me stopping someone who I won't name to keep things semi private.

Afterwards, in the hospital it was made pretty clear by them that by the stage of trying to take a whole bunch of pills that they were mentally not in control of their actions.

I called 000 straight away and even the cop said that even if the intent was there, under the circumstances people who have every intent on killing themselves often fail because they just can't function enough to do it.

I hope you seek some counseling lagerlover

Dotty
17th January 2012, 01:39 PM
Being on a golf forum, we only see the survival instinct shown by the towies, on foreign documentaries showing the slums.

As for the other, a cycling buddy was picking up dog poo off his nature strip, when he was collected by a suicidal driver and carried a couple of blocks by the car. Life support initially, then two months in intensive care and many more in rehab. (I saw him after 4 months and still learning how to talk and walk again.) He's back home again and back on his bike (allegedly, as he does confuse recent and long ago when describing a week's events).

One saving grace was being in his late 70s, he has children and grand children to help care for him, rather than them relying on him.

Purely mind numbing.

PeteyD
17th January 2012, 01:51 PM
So leave the poop on the strip is the moral of the story?

Dotty
17th January 2012, 02:24 PM
He had a lot of Rain Man traits to start with, so the OT's would have thought they'd only got halfway, when he was fully back to normal.

Nut
17th January 2012, 04:17 PM
Women attempt suicide more often but are generally less successful because they often use less lethal means ie. they drink a bottle a vodka and take a heap of medications. The reality of it is there aren't alot of medications in overdose that we can't fix if they get to the hospital in time. Some are also just a cry for help ie. a packet of diazepam and few wines.

Men on the other hand attempt suicide less often but are far more successful due to lethal means (and access to lethal means) ie. a gun, heavy machinery etc.

It's a sad world and unfortunately the attempts and cries for help are far more frequent than the general population understands. Depression is an awful affliction that can come on anyone at any time, seek help early is the key. There is no shame in mental health problems despite societies taboo mentality.

dave1
18th January 2012, 03:09 AM
Its a very common form of suicide

Im a youth worker and have seen young people die on roads because for an instant "life sucks or its too hard" so they go off bridges, into trees or whatever.

Oddly most of it is over bust ups from girls

sms316
18th January 2012, 07:53 AM
Oddly most of it is over bust ups from girls
If trees had a snatch you'd live in a forest.

PeteyD
18th January 2012, 08:03 AM
You are such a carer shorn

Iain
18th January 2012, 09:02 AM
People do that to train drivers all the time. Would be the worlds worst job I reckon.Nah, not really.