PDA

View Full Version : Driver Help

kane1990
13th January 2012, 02:45 PM
I've been back playing golf for a few months now after a big break and I've since picked up some new clubs. My bag consists of Adams CB2 irons, Vokey 56*, Adams speedline hybrid 3 wood (15*) and an Adams F11 driver (9.5*) (plus a putter). The problem I have been having is with my driver, I can't seem to keep it straight despite the adjustments I've been making which have helped every other club. I'm starting to think that its the size of driver (460cc) that is effecting my swing as I can feel it getting caught through the air. My thoughts seem to be confirmed when I tee off with my much smaller headed 3 wood, which I seem to hit long (just as long as the driver, if not further) and with much more accuracy. I'm wondering if it would be wise to try and find a decent driver with a smaller head or look for a 13* 3 wood? In the meantime I will be leaving my driver at home and using my 3 wood. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

rubin
13th January 2012, 02:55 PM
get the shaft checked on the driver. Sounds like an issue I had a while ago, and the cause was an inefficient shaft for my swing.

Captain Nemo
13th January 2012, 02:55 PM
Keep using your 3 wood, it works!
Maybe track down the same shaft as your 3 wood and put into your driver, jat?

Jarro
13th January 2012, 02:57 PM
Maybe try gripping down the shaft about 1"

According to the Adams website, the stock shaft plays at 45.875" which is pretty long (but standard) for a driver shaft.

Playing the shaft at 44.5" will help get your accuracy rate up for sure, and you'll probably hit it longer as well.

kane1990
13th January 2012, 02:58 PM
Do shafts make that much of a difference? I have a Matrix Ozik Xcon - 6.1 Stiff in my driver and a Grafalloy ProLaunch Axis stiff shaft in my 3 wood

kane1990
13th January 2012, 02:59 PM
The distance is not an issue really, I can hit the ball a fair way its just with my driver I spray them all over the place. I have tried gripping down for extra control but it doesnt seem to help :?

timah!
13th January 2012, 03:00 PM
I'd be thinking length first.

kane1990
13th January 2012, 03:04 PM
This might be a temporary solution http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270886501003?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Captain Nemo
13th January 2012, 03:06 PM
Yep, cut it down, if that don't work, grab a Prolaunch Axis and stick it in!

kane1990
13th January 2012, 03:10 PM
The thing that has me thinking its more the size of the head rather than the length or shaft is that in my old set I had the same issue and I regularly hit my 3 wood off the tee, because of a lack of control with my old driver (from a set)

rubin
13th January 2012, 03:11 PM
the size of the head allows for increased accuracy on off centre hits. look at the shaft first (it will be cheaper).

kane1990
13th January 2012, 03:15 PM
Yeah I understand that and I will have a look around for a similar shaft, but is there any possibility that it could be the larger surface area that's effecting my swing as this would mean more opposition from the wind on the downswing?

Lobsta
13th January 2012, 03:18 PM
Unless the driver head is shaped like a parachute, I cant see it gaining enough resistance to turn mid swing. Is the grip epicly worn (or missing). Maybe a stickier grip or glove if you really think the club is being caught by the wind resistance.

Or maybe some forearm or grip strengthening exercises. I could recommend some sites which give inspiration to help with the worlds most commonly used grip and forearm training exercise, but I think posting them is against the forum rules...

timah!
13th January 2012, 03:21 PM
Kane,
The longer the shaft, the harder it is to control and return to square.
The size is irrelevant. Do you see players switching head sizes dependent upon wind conditions?

Start it at around 44.5' in length, swingweighted around d2/d3 and go from there.

rubin
13th January 2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah I understand that and I will have a look around for a similar shaft, but is there any possibility that it could be the larger surface area that's effecting my swing as this would mean more opposition from the wind on the downswing?

In terms aerodynamics - the larger face area on a driver will cause more resistance - but unless you have an incredibly slow swing speed, you won't notice it, due to the light weight heads.

The other thing that it sounds like is that you are 'scared' of using it. It might be a purely psychological thing.

kane1990
13th January 2012, 03:23 PM
Haha unfortunately I can't blame it on a parachute shaped driver head and the grip is in as new condition. Maybe I need some mental exercises to stop me from thinking about it cause that may be the problem lol. Regarding the other exercises Im quite confident its not a strength issue as I'm at the gym 5 times a week and I would hope that would be suffice to hold a club through my swing lol

Lobsta
13th January 2012, 03:28 PM
Regarding the other exercises Im quite confident its not a strength issue as I'm at the gym 5 times a week and I would hope that would be suffice to hold a club through my swing lol

Im not 100% sure if you got where I was going with what I said...

If you did, your gym comment is mildly disturbing...

rubin
13th January 2012, 03:31 PM
Im not 100% sure if you got where I was going with what I said...

If you did, your gym comment is mildly disturbing...

dirty bugger..... :shock:

kane1990
13th January 2012, 03:34 PM
Hahahaha wow, with my interpretation of what you wrote I might be trying to use my putter of the tee and that may be the problem I'm having :?

rubin
13th January 2012, 03:37 PM
Unless the driver head is shaped like a parachute, I cant see it gaining enough resistance to turn mid swing. Is the grip epicly worn (or missing). Maybe a stickier grip or glove if you really think the club is being caught by the wind resistance.

Or maybe some forearm or grip strengthening exercises. I could recommend some sites which give inspiration to help with the worlds most commonly used grip and forearm training exercise, but I think posting them is against the forum rules...

something like putting a "nice smooth stroke on it" :D

solarman
13th January 2012, 03:37 PM
I just purchased before xmas an F11 driver 9.5 deg stiff and I just cannot control it. Yet I have an Adams 9064LS.
I cannot figure it out after trying all sorts of adjustments with stance, ball positionetc. I don't know if its the length or what.

kane1990
13th January 2012, 03:40 PM
I think the solution will be to sell it on and try something new

rubin
13th January 2012, 03:41 PM
I think the solution will be to sell it on and try something new

Welcome to OzGolf! 8)

kane1990
13th January 2012, 03:44 PM
8) Cheers for the help though guys, much appreciated

kane1990
13th January 2012, 03:45 PM
There's a 13* Cleveland launcher 3 wood on fleabay atm that's catching my eye, might be worth a shot, that way I don't have to visit the psychologist

Dotty
13th January 2012, 04:44 PM
Over the past 20 years, I've used a 13* fairway wood more off the tee than a driver (for the same reason).

I've found loft is my friend (11-12*) and moderate weight shafts, with an inch off. (Then use lead-tape on the head to get the swingweight back.) Essentially a big-headed 2 wood.

Kane, where are you based?

kane1990
13th January 2012, 06:07 PM
That sounds like something I should do Dotty, Im from Newcastle, NSW but moving to Geelong, VIC for Uni next week

backintheswing
13th January 2012, 08:03 PM
You need a nunchuk.

Just so happens I have one for sale.

RobNewy
13th January 2012, 10:16 PM
Yep, cut it down, if that don't work, grab a Prolaunch Axis and stick it in!

Is that the Platinum one?
One seriously thinking about that at the moment.

Lobsta
13th January 2012, 10:33 PM
Ooo! Ooo! I got another one!

Sound like the consensus is that you have the same problem I do...

Your shaft is too long...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoPWALM2riQ

kane1990
13th January 2012, 11:34 PM
backintheswing - what is the hype with the nunchucks? why are they worth so much?
RobNewey - I have a blue one in my 3 wood

kane1990
13th January 2012, 11:35 PM
And Lobsta I guess its not a bad problem to have, right?

TheNuclearOne
13th January 2012, 11:47 PM
Do you have a consistent miss with the driver, or it is everywhere?

kane1990
14th January 2012, 10:32 AM
It's usually a ridiculous slice, which I've been able to remove on all my other clubs with a few adjustments.

TheNuclearOne
14th January 2012, 10:47 AM
I'd be demoing some drivers and getting a feel for what i need. Don't be afraid to try draw models tho they may or may not help. Definitely want it shorter, i never go over 45 and some go shorter, but 45 is a good place to start.

kane1990
14th January 2012, 11:30 AM
Yeah I think I might get it cut down a little and go from there, thanks for your help

goonie
14th January 2012, 03:33 PM
kane, get yourself to some demo nights at a driving range and try as man as you can, a lot of the OEM's have changeable shafts so you can try a few different ones.

TheNuclearOne
14th January 2012, 07:15 PM
Yeah I think I might get it cut down a little and go from there, thanks for your help

It may not be as simple as that but it's a decent place to start.

Yossarian
14th January 2012, 08:15 PM
Just smash the shit out of it.

Lagerlover
14th January 2012, 08:25 PM
Just smash the shit out of it.

x2,

with a superseeded ZL cobra @ $150 off the bay.... Happy days.

kane1990
14th January 2012, 09:21 PM
Haha Ive tried the Cobra S3 and I didn't like it. The demo day sounds good I'll keep a look out for one of them to go have a hit with a few different head and shaft combos

TheNuclearOne
14th January 2012, 10:12 PM
Haha Ive tried the Cobra S3 and I didn't like it. The demo day sounds good I'll keep a look out for one of them to go have a hit with a few different head and shaft combos

Don't be afraid to a shorter length and also a heavier shaft at one of these outings.

dave1
15th January 2012, 10:38 PM
x2, with a superseeded ZL cobra @ $150 off the bay.... Happy days.Zl is a bloody good driver.Forgiving and with right shaft very longI have an 8.5 to offload at some point