PDA

View Full Version : What putting grip do you use?

live4golf
5th January 2012, 04:37 PM
Just curious on what putting grip you use, what is the most used on OG?

Be good is you mention type of putter you use (standard, belly, long).

Cheers.

Dude, Where's my Par?
5th January 2012, 04:40 PM
the claw, just like my idol

Daves
5th January 2012, 04:44 PM
Interlocking, SC Squareback.

Ferrins
5th January 2012, 04:56 PM
Vardon or french tickler

Dude, Where's my Par?
5th January 2012, 04:57 PM
actually surprise to most, I do not putt like RA, I have a weird type of grip that I employ to try and get my hands as level and square as possible.
I have a 2-ball that I have cut down to 33"
I have an interlocking grip where my middle finger on my left hand goes between the middle and ring finger of my right hand. My left hand is the one that is on the grip with my right hand pretty much right over the top of my left.
I try and have my hands as level as I can with my arms hanging all but straight down so I force a pendulum that comes from my shoulders.

timah!
5th January 2012, 05:05 PM
Not sure how best to describe it, but I have a 'double overlap' grip which really makes my grip compact.

I use a 34' Kombi.

Johnny Canuck
5th January 2012, 05:06 PM
Cross handed. Yes! Tracy 2.

AndyP
5th January 2012, 05:11 PM
Standard. Reverse Overlap.

I've got no idea where I picked it up from, what I may have done before and have never considered changing since doing it.

simmsy
5th January 2012, 05:12 PM
Dont know. My RH is lower than my left but overlapping my fingers????

RIFE Antigua. Great putter.

Newy
5th January 2012, 05:56 PM
I use a double overlap as well, where the index finger of my left hand overlaps the right fingers, and the pinky of my right hand overlaps the left between the middle and ring fingers. Its a good compact kind of grip.

Yes Tiffany putter.

live4golf
5th January 2012, 06:06 PM
FWIW I have been using a split hand grip. Am tinkering with reverse overlap, interlock, left hand low...want to find a grip that suits me and one that I can try for the long-haul. Averaging 36 putts for the 2 rounds this year and it is embarassing, shot 5 and 4 over for those 2 rounds.

Trying out a Ghost Spider putter for a bit.

Going to try to get my putts down to less than 30 this year and I think a dedicated putter and a consistent grip will get me there.

Really appreciates the replies so far and the ones to come.

dave1
5th January 2012, 07:34 PM
longer putts - conventional grip (vardon)
putts of less than 8 feet or so - claw (same as sergio garcia claw) find this very good takes the wrists out of it

LarryLong
5th January 2012, 08:55 PM
Interlock grip with a standard putter.

If I changed my grip or putter I would have to admit that deep down inside I know that I'm a shithouse putter.

sms316
5th January 2012, 08:59 PM
I use a double overlap as well, where the index finger of my left hand overlaps the right fingers, and the pinky of my right hand overlaps the left between the middle and ring fingers. Its a good compact kind of grip.

Yes Tiffany putter.
This, but the LH version of it.

johl
5th January 2012, 09:17 PM
igolf doesnt need to putt.

i use the same as newy except my middle finger on left hand is between pinky and ring finger on the right hand

Gomer
5th January 2012, 09:26 PM
Single overlap. Right hand below left with right pinky overlapping left index finger.

matty
5th January 2012, 09:35 PM
The Vardon grip.

ricktobin86
5th January 2012, 09:50 PM
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/short-game/putting/puttinggrips

The traditional.

Dotty
5th January 2012, 10:02 PM
Same for all clubs in the bag - Vardon.

Yes Christina - Heel-Toe weighted head with a double bend shaft 34". (Previously, plumber's neck Ansers, SC and Rife Aruba.)

L4G, when the Boom craze hit OzGolf, I practiced a lot of 6m putts in the lounge room (no Boom koolaid here). To relieve boredom, I developed a long-putter stroke with the short putter. Essentially, left arm is extension on putter shaft and the pivot-point is the ball-joint of the left shoulder. Then use the right hand to take the pendulum back and through, a la Adam Scott's current stroke. (I hope this helps, as 28 putts on Wednesday would have done wonders for your card. ;) )

Hooker
5th January 2012, 10:05 PM
Broomstick putter here , cut down to suit me , about 42 inches . I am right handed and only 5'-8" tall and I find the longer broomies are hard to control , started at 46 " and cut it down myself with an angle grinder inch by inch till it felt comfortable , [ helps if you know how to take off and put on your own grips ]. Now I use the thumb and two fingers on the lower grip same as if you are throwing a ball. The two last fingers just stay right away from the bottom grip , the left hand on the top grip I try and keep as relaxed as possible as basically the thumb and two fingers on the right hand are doing all the work, same as throwing a ball.

MegaWatty
6th January 2012, 01:35 AM
Conventional.

Redwood Anser.

simmsy
6th January 2012, 01:43 AM
You've done everything to not be though

MegaWatty
6th January 2012, 01:46 AM
Yeah. **** knows why!

simmsy
6th January 2012, 01:48 AM
Cause your swing is too flat. **** me when will u listen.

Outcast
6th January 2012, 11:11 AM
L4G,

I am well known among the FNQ boys as being a somewhat useless putter but, that is changing. My best putting rounds are rarely if ever under 30 putts and I tend to average between 32 0 34 putts. Somehow, I do manage to break 80 on a semi regular basis and have shot a bunch of rounds at Cairns in the low 70's. My putting is improving slowly but, surely and whilst I still average 32 - 34 putts, my second putts now tend to be tapins instead of breathtaking par saves from 10 - 15ft and I do manage 3 - 4 one putts per round (still have the odd 3 putt though). Here is how I have gone about my slow improvement and, there is still some improving to do; my aim is to create a consistent putting stroke and then just keep working on it.

Having mucked around with I don't know how many grip styles I putt with a conventional grip with left forefinger lyingnacross the fingers of my right hand; I try to set up so that my palms are evenly opposed and wrists locked so that I avoid a wristy action in my putting stroke. I stick with this grip because it is the most comfortable one I have found and I am not going to change it so that is one thing that is consistent.

I went and had a putting lesson/analysis (sadly not on a Sam's putt lab) but, the pro used a bunch of reference boards and a video camera; the nett result of that lesson was that my putting stroke was fundamentally sound. My green reading was reasonably good too; what we worked on then was distance control, three putts left handed only, then three putts right handed only and then three putts both hands trying to match grip pressures with each hand.

As you know, I own a few putters.... the eternal search for the perfect putter. I used iPing to confirm what I already suspected (knew); I have a very strong arc putting stroke.. From this and the use of iPing, I knew (confirmed) I needed a heel shafted putter. Most of my putters are this variety; so now a case of finding one I really, really liked.. Enter a SC Napa California, you don't get much more heel shafted..

I practice my setup using a putting mirror to make sure my eyes are over the ball and I did the left/right eye dominant test.. I then used the results to inform my setup. I messed around with where I hold the putter and used the ping online fitting guide to determine that the best putter length for me is around 33.5". I then went to my local Drummonds and used their adjustable putter and bingo, it felt right. I then mucked around with my stance width, have settled on a narrowish stance, dunno why, just feels right.

My next step is to actually cut down my putters to the 33.5" mark (and adjust weight as necessary) so I don't have around 2" of putter grip butt sticking out the end anymore. My arms hang very naturally at this putter length and again, it just feels right.

On longer putts, my wrists have a tendency to want to get involved to 'hit' the putt rather than 'stroke' the putt; I use my belly putter to practice keeping my wrists out of the stroke as it is virtually impossible for them to break down whilst holding a belly putter without doing myself serious injury.

Now I just practice... improvement, yep there is some but, it's not startling and nor did I expect it to be but, there is definite improvement. So, now I try not to change anything although, I do get bored with putters so, change them out every so often but, I stick with a heel shafted, toe balanced putter (with one exception of a SC Fastback which is technically face balanced but, still somewhat heel shafted).

Will this work for you; F...d if I know but, my quest for the magic putting bullet still goes on, in the meantime, I continue to work on consistency in all aspects of my putting.. grip, stance, setup, putter style (if not actual putter), putter length and most importantly, I strive for a consistent & repeatable putting stroke; I underline the word stroke because that is what I want, a stroked putt not a hit putt... When I hit putts (slow greens) the wrists get in on the act and I definitely don't want that..

Of course, this may all just be crap but, my 10cents worth FWIW

Haystacks
6th January 2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks i Cast...:wink:

IanO
6th January 2012, 12:35 PM
Interlock

SC Fastback

KristianJ
6th January 2012, 12:38 PM
Interlocking

Anser clone.

My 1/500 cent worth.

3oneday
6th January 2012, 12:50 PM
L4G, :shock: FWIWFMD !

Outcast
6th January 2012, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I just retread my post; twas a little long winded wasn't it!

Maybe a pm would've been better

live4golf
6th January 2012, 01:56 PM
I appreciate it OC and you have given a little fodder for the rest of the guys to hang shit on you about, win-win as far as I see :)

Seriously any comments on putting can only help me. I honestly think I would be off scratch or better if I could average 28 putts per round.

KristianJ
6th January 2012, 10:17 PM
Actually, it is worthwhile reading IMO. It's just that I waited until I got on my laptop with a 1600 x 1200 resolution to read it so it appeared a little less cumbersome reading than on my phone. :)

I still maintain that my input is comparatively 1/5000 in value though.

Peppas
6th January 2012, 10:46 PM
Conventional putting grip. With a heel shafted mid mallet putter. I still suck at putting though.

idgolfguy
6th January 2012, 10:48 PM
Reverse overlap. Scotty Bulls-eye Flange.

Jarro
6th January 2012, 10:52 PM
Double-overlap

Taylormade Corza Ghost 33"

idgolfguy
6th January 2012, 11:02 PM
How do you do a double overlap with just two hands? Not being silly. Would you be able to post a picture or link? To lazy to Google on my phone.

Jarro
6th January 2012, 11:09 PM
just imagine this on your putter

http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/golf/www/release/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/gallery_images/nov30-jfuryk-grip_400x600_0.jpg

timah!
6th January 2012, 11:13 PM
just imagine this on your putter

http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/golf/www/release/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/gallery_images/nov30-jfuryk-grip_400x600_0.jpg

Kinda, thumbs nearly on top of each other.

Courty
7th January 2012, 03:36 PM
I appreciate it OC and you have given a little fodder for the rest of the guys to hang shit on you about

If we could be bothered reading it all. :roll:

mike
7th January 2012, 03:37 PM
Yep, too long for me to read. I can't concentrate for that long.

BrettM
7th January 2012, 03:49 PM
Along the lines of double reverse where my left middle finger over my right pinky and ring, with the left forefinger spread where is sits on top of the right forefinger. Hard to describe.

Ping Anser 2.

meh
7th January 2012, 03:52 PM
Vardon.

Odyssey white hot 7 (thanks croydo)

Outcast
7th January 2012, 03:53 PM
If we could be bothered reading it all. :roll: Like you can read anyway??;-)

KristianJ
7th January 2012, 03:53 PM
Oh, and if it grip size is going to be helpful, the grip on my putter is a standard sized Scotty Custom Shop grip.

mint
7th January 2012, 04:14 PM
crosshanded ... but then again I do that with all my clubs :)

live4golf
7th January 2012, 05:50 PM
solid 38 putts today.

Left-hand low FAIL

3oneday
7th January 2012, 05:54 PM
Today... I used standard, 1 finger claw, 3 finger claw and left hand low. I had no ****in idea, yet putted like a champion last weekend.

Dumb game.

backintheswing
7th January 2012, 06:00 PM
solid 38 putts today.

Left-hand low FAIL

Just go the broomy. Also don't post anymore about being a bad putter, as that will be reinforcing it to you that you are. I putt fairly well I think. I just tell myself I am going to hole every putt. That is my way of being positive. Another thing is I don't keep stats on my putting.

So in short :

1. Go the broomy
2. Only say you are a good putter and you are putting well.
3. Over every putt, tell yourself you are going to hole it.
4. Stop counting your putts. I think it is a very flawed stat. If you never hit a green in reg, but chip close, of course you are going to have less putts.

See how you go.

aimnhit
8th January 2012, 01:41 PM
I use lamkin..

Iain
8th January 2012, 02:40 PM
:lol:

I use reverse overlap.

Croydo
8th January 2012, 11:23 PM
Vardon on a Squareback No 2.

live4golf
9th January 2012, 09:54 AM
Found a belly putter in the back of my cupboard, got it from placegetter on ISG a while ago. I took it out yesterday, dropped a wedge and also took my TM Spider ghost thing. putted with the spider on the front 9 and the belly on the back 9. I had 33 putts with 20 putts on the front 9 and 13 putts on the back 9.

I jammed the belly putter into my belly button and gripped using the reverse overlap. I found it to be spot on right away, my mate said that with the belly putter everything locked in, lower body did not move and my head stayed still. I sank a 3m eagle putt and a 4m par putt on consecutive holes, all second putts were tap-ins. Distance control was good and the accuracy was exceptional. Here's a breakdown:
TM Ghost Spider:
1 - 3 putts...8m left to right putt, 2m short and left. 2m putt left to right, missed high, tap-in
2 - 2 putts...4m straight putt, tap-in. holed tap-in
3 - 2 putts...1m left to right putt, tap-in
4 - 2 putts...8m left to right putt, 1m uphill.
5 - 3 putts...4m right to left, 2m left to right. tap-in
6 - 2 putts...80cm straight putt, tap-in
7 - 2 putts...1m left to right putt, tap-in
8 - 2 putts...1m straight putt, tap-in
9 - 2 putts...1m right to left, tap-in
20 putts
Belly:
10a - 2 putts...6m left to right, tap-in
10b - 1 putt...1m left to right
11 - 2 putts...4m right to left uphill, tap-in
12 - 1 putt...1m downhill left to right
13 - 2 putts...4m left to right, tap-in
14 - 2 putts...3m right to left, tap-in
16 - 1 putt...3m right to left
17 - 1 putt...4m right to left
18 - 2 putts...6m straightish, tap-in
13 putts

I am still in disbelief. The Belly putter just felt so good, it locked my arms in a great position and the putter head tracks perfectly. I will not gush anymore about it because of the honeymoon period and all that but the facts do not lie.

Thoughts? - enough to be optimistic enough in those numbers?

sms316
9th January 2012, 10:10 AM
Sounds like further proof that long putters are cheat sticks.

Peppas
9th January 2012, 10:38 AM
When are you having your putter sale?

Hooker
20th January 2012, 12:19 PM
Still using the belly putter live4 , if so how is it going , just interested.

live4golf
20th January 2012, 07:24 PM
When are you having your putter sale?

be patient, grasshopper

live4golf
20th January 2012, 07:26 PM
Still using the belly putter live4 , if so how is it going , just interested.

I have not been able to get out on the course for a couple of weeks now so not really using anything at the moment. Does still feel good wit hthe carpet putting I am doing at home, but everything feels good on the carpet :)