PDA

View Full Version : 10 course reviews from my holidays...

shavey
11th August 2005, 01:03 AM
Had the pleasure of spending nearly three quality weeks with the girlfriend on our driving holiday down to see friends and family down south.  And by the amount of courses I played, you have to agree that I have a very understanding partner :)  Only scored for a few rounds rather allowing myself the opportunity to study the courses to hopefully provide insightful reviews.

Bonville:  Well, after reading a few of the magazine reviews from earlier this year, I was really looking forward to tackling this magnificent layout again.  Unfortunately, the course conditions did not live up to the hype, at least for the front nine.  The greens were terrible and were overrun with growth (poa annua) which made for impossible putting.  Tried not to let this deviate from the golfing experience with my playing partner but sometimes it was very hard not too.   :?  Back nine was much better and after a group of boys went from work just a few weeks later, the course seems to be back to normal (except for hole 3).  I know they had some problems with their greens but I was led to believe that this was a thing of the past.

As always, this layout will never be challenged.  Incredible!  It was also blowing a gale which made for some interesting deviations in ball flight when the fairways opened up.  Hole 2 was a little more challenging with the wind actually circulating around the hole.  Downwind from an elevated tee, headwind looking back to the tee and crosswind to the side of the green - work that out!  :?  Highlight of the day was smoking a drive on 18 (into the wind from the white tees) to leave 180m to the tee.  After opening my big mouth, the slight downhill lie got the better of me and I sprayed (some may say shanked) it into the water right...  VERY right!

Overall, great layout, enjoyable day, greens on front nine needed ALOT of work.  Think I carded 88 with three lost balls so not too bad.

Pacific Dunes:  Well, after spending a little bit longer than anticipated finding this little nugget, I had an enjoyable day (apart from the last 4 holes taking over an hour to play - these people don't believe in calling up!).  It seems the course received quite a bit of rain in the weeks leading up to my round and only being six months old, is bound to have a few problems.  Although briefed on a few of the problem areas prior to tee off (like the island green on 10), I think there was a little bit more water out on course than they wanted to believe.

It's always nice to play a new course from the back markers, especially if it's windy, cold and the fairways are wet :)  Thought I would have put the ego away and played from the front markers when my first drive landed in the middle of the fairway, only to splash it's way out of a nice damp patch and dribble up the fairway.  Of course, with no carry on the fairways, bent grass greens and a howling wind which seemed to play in the opposite direction to usual, it made the course even longer.

Were very surprised that carts were allowed on course with the amount of very muddy areas which were in fact their redirected paths.  It's interesting how your perspectives change when you work in the industry.  Anyway, an enjoyable round although a little slow to finish.  Greens were mint although a little tricked up (hit SW in on hole 2, 10 foot past the front pin position only to have it jazz back off the green) , fairway bunkers were huge and fairways tight.  And they were very tight on the day! - particularly hole 6, 555m into a two-three club wind with wet fairways.  Let's just say I took more dirt with my 3W than a full SW, as I tried to muscle a dart in there.  And my long beige pants weren't looking the better for my attempt either :oops:

Overall, some great holes and with a little more time, will be well worth the visit.

Jubilee Falls:  If you are ever in Wangaratta, take the short drive out to this little gem.  For $10 (all you can play on Sunday) it proved to be a very enjoyable day.  It was also a big wake up call to my lack of course fitness as the first week of the holiday had been devoted to food and wine  :D  With an early morning start, damp fairways and a cracking chill in the air, breathlessness became the only conversation for the first few holes  :lol:  My only piece of advise to those playing, tee off mid morning when things have had a chance to warm up and dry out.  Lost a couple of new balls, plugged in the mud somewhere just off the fairways  :wink:   Once again, for $10, I think it's worth it.

Kingston Heath:   :wink:   Special!  Not like any of the resort style courses on the Goldie, this is golf at it's simplest.  Teed off as the sun was just about to rise and it was the freakin coldest and the windiest I have ever played in (or so it was at this stage  :cry: )  I have often heard people talk about Sandbelt courses so it was nice to finally experience one for my self.  Bunkers, bunkers and more bunkers...   :o   Did I mention there were a few bunkers :)  I was amazed to see the course wasn't even 6000 metres yet with the conditions, played a lot, lot longer!  Also weird to have distance markers to the front of the greens but with no difference in flag colours for front, centre and back.  Proved to be very interesting for this newcomer.  Unfortunately had two greens out of play.  Great experience overall with the highlight being par on the 9th (?) index 1 hole.

Moonah Links - Legends Course:  Played the Legends Course on another cold and windy day.  My playing partners suggested the white tees and who was I to argue.  I don't even think the red tees would have saved me on the day.  1st hole - 473m par 5.  Hit a driver with a tail like a kangaroo, hit a nice 2 iron to recover (or so I thought!) as I watched it make it to the crest of a hill then roll 30 metres backwards   :shock:   Hit my approach about 15m over the back right.  Slightly downhill to the flag which was cut front centre.  Bumped a little PW only a few metres, just enough to get through some rough then down to the hole...  down to the hole...  rolling...  rolling...  ROLLING...   :x   off the front of the green, down a hill, 20 metres away - welcome to Moonah Links!  :oops:   Enjoyed the company of my playing partners and that was about it! ;)  Played a lot of good shots plus a lot of bad ones.  Greens were hard with lob wedges to elevated greens just bouncing through and over the other side.  And it wasn't just me having difficulties with the conditions, which was in some sadistic way, nice to see.  Highlight of the day was the great cookie and coffee deal in the clubhouse  :D   No seriously, it would have to be driving the greenside trap on 11.  And no, it wasn't a par 3!

Moonah Links - Open Course:  What kind of sick bastard makes a course this long when conditions are ordinary at the best of times.  Played from the blues (the blacks were never an option).  Different day from the Legends Course and the weather was shocking.  At least 3-4 club wind and with the penal fairway bunkers and undulations, it played extremely longer than 6300m.  This was one round I was keen to keep score on but after three attempts out of a devilish greenside bunker (from downhill lies), I was starting to think again.  Anyway, got the game back on track with a good par on the next (after finding a fairway bunker with a great drive) and recovering with an interesting bump and run from 50 metres out with a 5I to a few feet :o   Really enjoyed the round which may have been in part to my ball striking.  I think I picked up 10 pars for the day, which in the conditions, were worth a lot more.  Highlight of the day and biggest indication on how tough the course was playing the par 5 18th - 519m straight into the wind, hitting the two best shots of the day (D and 2I) to 70m then knifing the LW through the green  :cry:   Somehow managed to salvage par and finish off with 86.  All things considered, I was very happy with the round and the opportunity to enjoy another yummy cookie and coffee  :D  Geez I hope it blows an absolute gale for this years Australian Open.

The National - Ocean Course:  Having previously played 18 on the Old and 9 each on the Ocean and Moonah courses, I was really looking forward to a full round in trying links conditions.  Now THIS was officially the coldest and windiest I have ever played in, and the coldest and windiest I EVER hope to play in again :roll:   Teed of nice and early and had the course to ourselves.  Even though we had three greens out of play, this course is still superb.  I would love to be a member here.

The things I love about the course is the clubhouse which provides a stunning vantage point of the two links landscapes and the ever so slight glimpses of the ocean which break up the monotony of the rolling hills which seems to be the case at Moonah.  This is a truly magnificent golfing facility and one which will always be first on my list when travelling to the peninsula.

Unfortunately, our great run of weather came to an end and I didn't have the chance to play Barwon Heads, but managed to have a look around the clubhouse.  Even if you don't get a chance to play the course, just have a look around the clubhouse.  From outside, you could be anywhere in the world - truly special.  Also had a look around 13th Beach which looked interesting but didn't really give too much away from the main road in.

Wangaratta Golf Club:  Very ordinary compared to Jubilee Falls only 5 minutes away and dearer.  Played what was meant to be the better of the nines and weren't impressed.  After you have plugged a couple of balls deep into greens, it begins to go downhill fast.

Gold Creek:  Played one of what was meant to be one of Canberra's better courses and weren't all that impressed.  I later found out that they hosted a Australian Masters or something a few years ago but it has really gone downhill since then.  Course conditioning was quite ordinary in parts with the first hole being played to a new green obviously moved some time ago because of the nearby houses yet the yardage was playing to the old green.  Greens very soft and very fast - three-putts-a-plenty  :cry:   There was also a nice little 3 club wind which made some holes VERY tough.

Shell Harbour Links:  Located at Shell Harbour just south of Wollongong, this is meant to be the only championship course on the south coast of NSW.  Maybe this was the plan before they began designing this waste of time  :evil:   This is all very unfortunate because this was a nice piece of land that could have been so much more.  Major problems associated with the running of the club involved the council taking over control of the running of the clubhouse and the marching of a certain QLD PGA member who was initially associated with establishing the course.  There are several holes which are very dangerous and poorly designed.  The rough is non-existent with thick bushy weeds taking their place rendering any ball unplayable and virtually lost.  The greens have no undulations and all slope back to front which is ridiculous.  On 18 I had a 15m shot down a small ridge to a pin cut in the centre.  I hit a LW two feet in front of me only to watch it keep rolling and finish pin high.  Any approach that finished pin high was lucky to manage a two putt with several of my playing partners hitting their next shots from off the green.  As you may be able to tell, I wouldn't play here again in a hurry.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my little overview and do trust it made for some interesting reading...

Shavey

BrisVegas
11th August 2005, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the review Shavey! Awesome trip. AndyP should read this re: Moonah Links :wink:

Flowergirl
11th August 2005, 10:06 AM
I cannot believe that Shavey came down to my neck of the woods and didn't call in and say hello. Not happy Shavey :( :wink:
Glad you enjoyed the National Ocean. Played pennant on that course - it is a delight. :D
Expensive wine though. I bought two glasses of chardy - gave the guy a $20 and he hadned me $4 change. I said _ I gave you a $20 - and he says - yes - you did. $8 a glass :shock:

gazgolf1
11th August 2005, 06:11 PM
nice read Steve. :D

markTHEblake
11th August 2005, 07:52 PM
nice commentary but how coome no mention of ark... arckc.. arctiche.., course design?