PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a 3 wood

adamsgolfer
22nd December 2011, 03:58 PM
How do you choose a 3 wood?

Obviously you hit it at the range or on the course and see the ball flight but to begin the selection process do you:

a) Start with one that matches your driver
b) Start with one that matches your hyrbid
c) Do some research online before you head to a pro shop

What about flex? Do you match flex with your driver or hybrid?

What are most people looking for in a 3 wood, is it as an option off the tee or is it a bona fide second shot off the deck club?

IanO
22nd December 2011, 04:07 PM
ummmm ... all of the above

adamsgolfer
22nd December 2011, 04:11 PM
3 wood seems to be a trouble club for most in terms of finding one that suits, I'm going thru all that right now.

rubin
22nd December 2011, 04:16 PM
for me it is 99% a tee club. its not very often that I'll need or want to use it off the deck.

In terms of selecting one, I did a bit of research and found that at the end of the day, a 3 wood is a 3 wood is a 3 wood. the majority of them are all the same with a different logo.

Croydo
22nd December 2011, 04:28 PM
For a 3 wood I'm looking for a club I use both off the tee, and off the deck. I usually research online, narrow the selection down from there, and then would normally head to a driving range to demo days with a short list in mind.

IanO
22nd December 2011, 04:41 PM
I use mine about 50/50 from the tee or the fairway. I went to the local range and hit a few demo clubs. In the end I found that the one the same/similar to my Hybrid actually worked the best for me.

nadg63
22nd December 2011, 06:08 PM
Looked on EBay USA and thought "that one will do" and bought it - amazingly enough it did do! :-)

backintheswing
22nd December 2011, 06:30 PM
I bought a white one.

Jarro
22nd December 2011, 07:16 PM
for me it is 99% a tee club. its not very often that I'll need or want to use it off the deck.

Same here. I don't use it off the fairway very often (if at all) so it only gets used off the tee on short par 4's.

I find my hybrids are more than enough for laying up on par 5's.

simmsy
22nd December 2011, 07:21 PM
buy a 4 wood instead!

TEE is longer than most 3 woods out there. True.

timah!
22nd December 2011, 07:25 PM
I find my hybrids are more than enough for laying up on par 5's.

Homo, hybrids are long enough to reach par 5's... :p

KristianJ
22nd December 2011, 07:26 PM
Homo, hybrids are long enough to reach par 5's... :p Or 8 irons off ladies tees that are disguised as blues...

timah!
22nd December 2011, 07:28 PM
buy a 4 wood instead!

:roll: surely that depends on the user...

I have a 4w that goes as far as the average driver ;)

Jarro
Homo, hybrids are long enough to reach par 5's... :p

If you play at Wolly park ... then yeah :p

timah!
Or 8 irons off ladies tees that are disguised as blues...

Exactly.

dhills2
22nd December 2011, 07:32 PM
I regret selling my V-steel.

rubin
22nd December 2011, 07:34 PM

To be fair to OMS who is not a long hitter, he puts his TEE wood out there. not far off his driver i would think.

Save yourself the hassle and chuck a 'chuk into the best looking 3 wood head you can find. cant go wrong.

timah!
22nd December 2011, 07:39 PM
How do you choose a 3 wood?

Obviously you hit it at the range or on the course and see the ball flight but to begin the selection process do you:

a) Start with one that matches your driver - YES

b) Start with one that matches your hyrbid - possibly, but I'd be going driver down rather than hybrid up.

c) Do some research online before you head to a pro shop - YES

What about flex? Do you match flex with your driver or hybrid? - YES. I'm a fan of knowing that there will be the same feel throughout.

What are most people looking for in a 3 wood, is it as an option off the tee or is it a bona fide second shot off the deck club? -YES to both.

Answered.

i Golf
22nd December 2011, 08:11 PM
My most accurate/favoutite club in the bag is my Mizuno F60 7 wood, rarely does it go wrong, So the other day a F60 3 wood popped up on Ebay so I bought it purely because its the same as the 7 wood.

My logic is I hit my current 3 wood pretty well, I don't even put it on a tee if I am teeing off with it hit it off the deck regardless, so If I hit my 7 wood well I figure I'll hit this new 3 wood well too??????? Well that is my logic.

mike
22nd December 2011, 08:29 PM
Why don't your tee it up. Teeing it gives you a perfect lie.

Daves
22nd December 2011, 08:30 PM
Why don't your tee it up. Teeing it gives you a perfect lie.

Yep, even the Pros will tell you they hit a 3 wood further off a tee then they do off the deck.

i Golf
22nd December 2011, 08:53 PM
I've found that if I tee it for some reason I lose it right more often then I hit it straight, when I do hit it straight I only gain maybe 10 metres over not teeing it up?? wierd.

So % wise it is a better bet to hit it off the deck for me. Maybe I should spend some time on a range with grass tees and start teeing it up. That can be next weeks task.

simmsy
22nd December 2011, 10:45 PM

That goes as far as your driver?

timah!
22nd December 2011, 10:52 PM
That goes as far as your driver?

The average driver. Not necessarily mine. Although at present, it's not much shorter than mine either.

AlexMc
22nd December 2011, 10:55 PM
I have all sorts of trouble hitting 3 wood - have probably had 6 or 7 of them in the last few years and can't hit any of them.

What I did was get a 4 wood. Much better. Just needed more loft.

markTHEblake
22nd December 2011, 11:46 PM
Maybe I should spend some time on a range with grass tees and start teeing it up. That can be next weeks task.

but you already do, 3 hours a day, almost every day.

I hit balls almost everyday of the week probably 3 hours a day at different times of the day at Coolangatta Tweed.

both practice fairways at Coolangatta Tweed are grass only.

i Golf
23rd December 2011, 10:58 AM
You got a fkn smart mouth mate and I am surprised it hasn't been jammed shut.

Your such a fountain of knowledge how about you tell the ozgolf world how many of those practice fairways at CT your able to hit 3 woods off??

No you wont cause that would show everyone just how much of a true fkwit you are, so I'll tell them.

One practice fairway is a 90 metre practice green for wedges, and the longer fairway has a massive sign that says hitting of clubs longer than 5 iron is strictly prohibitied, now why is that?? well its only about 170m long.

I might drop by Helensvale golf club and pay you a visit, You want know who where or when..........................................

rubin
23rd December 2011, 11:06 AM
U do realise this is a PUBLIC forum, and anyone can read what u say?

markTHEblake
23rd December 2011, 11:07 AM
I thought you practised with your long irons all the time? 3hrs a day, every club.

Your welcome at H anytime but it is not up to your standards.

Daves
23rd December 2011, 11:08 AM
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt115/Daves_2009/Repository/funny-gifs-infinite-drink.gif

Peppas
23rd December 2011, 11:13 AM
I would also be interested in some tips on how to select the best 3 wood for me as I'm thinking of getting one :)

markTHEblake
23rd December 2011, 11:25 AM
If you are struggling with finding or hitting a 3 W then two choices to make,
1: get a 4 wood or long hybrid
2: just get any 3W with a low COG doesny matter which one just the lowest you can find.

And then put a nunchuk in it. Works for me. I have never hit as many good shots off the fairway since i did this.

rubin
23rd December 2011, 11:30 AM
Have to agree with that one. if your struggling with your current 3 wood, 'chuk it up.

ricktobin86
23rd December 2011, 11:39 AM
I chose one that was cheap with lots of reviews, and stiff cause anything regular in TM is like noodlefest. Worked out pretty well.

Collis
23rd December 2011, 12:03 PM
Internet Thugs

rubin
23rd December 2011, 12:50 PM
Robert Allenby? ;)

Dotty
23rd December 2011, 12:54 PM
I would also be interested in some tips on how to select the best 3 wood for me as I'm thinking of getting one :)
With our long game, it's the one with a 5 on the sole. A 3 wood that could reach a par 4 will find a lot of greenside traps (or rough with a couple of large gums in the way).

As for purchase criteria, watch for PeteyD or PingLauncher pro-shop ads, and wait 48 hours after the first price drop.

Haystacks
23rd December 2011, 01:58 PM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/funny-gifs-getting-angry.gif

i Golf
23rd December 2011, 06:02 PM
Rubin I'm not really concerned who reads what I write here, see some people think that just because they are behind a key board in the safety of their own home that they are safe?? its a bit like ppl who become victims of road rage, you want to tailgate someone or high beam them or abuse them, you just never know who your pissing off and they get out of the car and break your face or smash your wind screen with a base ball bat and then comes the question, why did you do that?? same situation here, just because your not in the room with someone you think your safe, and if you were in the room you'd be as quiet as a church mouse, that I'd bet my house on, you wouldn't say shit to me.

You just never know who your dealing with.

It amazes me everyone here can see how much of a smartass some people are, yet no one pulls that person up, yet when someone like me responds I am the bad guy bit like that Corey kid who body slammed the bully.

I bet that kid didn't expect to get belted did he??

Now back to discussing the purchase of a 3 wood and all things golf.

Yossarian
23rd December 2011, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoPVC4YxDlI

rubin
23rd December 2011, 06:24 PM
my question now is:

Why are you getting so defensive? You make comments, other people make comments, and then you take offence and become quite angry and vindictive.

A quick lesson. You take to heart what people say on here, you will very quickly get pissed off (as you already are) and will not enjoy your time. Perhaps spend some time and read through the thousands of other threads on here - everyone is pulling the piss out of everyone else 95% of the time. if you don't like the way things are here - go back to ISG. Nobody is forcing you stay here and post. if you choose to continue posting your opinions then expect to receive some comments on them be it constructive or just regular crap.

Perhaps before diving in the deep end and bagging everyone else out, do a bit of research and spend the time to get to know what goes on before you piss everybody off.

TourFit
23rd December 2011, 07:09 PM

For the same reason the new CG16 irons are longer...? :razz: I'm sure a 16* 4 wood would be VERY similar to a 15* 3W

Oh...and Rubin, EXCELLENT POST! Please listen up iGolf. If you assume, and picture it in your head, that everyone here (and I mean everyone) is sitting around a VERY large table, enjoying a beer and a good ribbing from fellow golfers then that'll just about sum up OzGolf. Also, there will be times when we take offence...as I have also done recently, but also remember that joking on a forum, and the perception of the written word, can often lead to misunderstandings!

markTHEblake
23rd December 2011, 07:25 PM
I am not joking. Bullshit is bullshit!

I golf you are the only stranger hiding behind the keyboard here. everyone else here knows each other well ( or 1 degree ).

And nobody says boo to me because am built like a brick shithouse and If they did they know I would snap their heads off and shit in their necks.

BroKar
23rd December 2011, 07:28 PM
I am not joking. Bullshit is bullshit!

I golf you are the only stranger hiding behind the keyboard here. everyone else here knows each other well ( or 1 degree ).

And nobody says boo to me because am built like a brick shithouse and If they did they know I would snap their heads off and shit in their necks.

HAHAHAHA pissing myself laughing here

dhills2
23rd December 2011, 07:38 PM
everyone else here knows each other well ( or 1 degree ).

Now THAT is bullshit. I am definitely in the enigmatic ninja category of ozgolfers. I safely have 1.5 - 2 degrees separating me from your brick shithouse physique... so I guess I can talk as much smack as I want ;)

Btw, this thread is awesome... reminds me of a few that were running a couple of years back when I made the transition from that other place. Oh how I miss Zig.

paulyboy
23rd December 2011, 07:41 PM
I don't know anyone (well I did go to one golf day but every single person there was a moron)

markTHEblake
23rd December 2011, 07:48 PM
Almost everyone then!

paulyboy
23rd December 2011, 07:54 PM
But....I must be a poor judge of character, I find my self liking Blakey......am I the only one???? lol

adamsgolfer
23rd December 2011, 09:04 PM
So back on topic....

What are people's experiences with a strong 3 wood?

I hit my reg flex driver 230m, my reg flex 15deg 3 wood 195m and my stiff flex 17deg hybrid 195-200m....yes longer and with a better flight and dispersion than the 3 wood.

I'm thinking that a 13 deg wood could give me 210-215m off the tee which really gives me an alternative to a very misbehaving driver. The problem is though that if I can't hit a 15deg wood further then a 17deg hybrid what are my chances of doing so with a strong 3 wood?

Also my driver swing speed of 90-95mph puts me into a reg flex but the Adams A7 17deg hybrid I have with axicore red stiff is by far the best club im my bag in terms of accuracy and reliable length. Can anyone explain whu this shaft works for me?

PeteyD
23rd December 2011, 09:21 PM
With our long game, it's the one with a 5 on the sole. A 3 wood that could reach a par 4 will find a lot of greenside traps (or rough with a couple of large gums in the way).

As for purchase criteria, watch for PeteyD or PingLauncher pro-shop ads, and wait 48 hours after the first price drop.

I resemble that remark. Mental note, charge Dotty extra ;)

Forget 3W. 4W is the go, with a 'chuk.

PeteyD
23rd December 2011, 09:22 PM
Strong 3 wood? Stay away unless you are low single figures. Loft is your friend.

rubin
23rd December 2011, 09:26 PM
Strong 3 wood? Stay away unless you are low single figures. Loft is your friend.

Particularly at ur ss. You'll lose carry but gain on run, and there won't be any difference to overall distance.

Daves
23rd December 2011, 10:40 PM

I have got to agree with this. I recently bought a new 910Fd. I took it out on the course and wow! I was hitting it as far, or further than my Driver!, but if I didn't catch it Yuk!! I woke up pretty quickly that instead of it being set at the standard 15*, it was actually on the standard setting for a RH'er and was actually 14.25* for me as a Lefty. I now have it at 15.75* with a Nunchuk and it much easier to hit and not a lot shorter. Loft is your friend.

Jarro
24th December 2011, 07:33 AM
Just get a new RocketBallz 3 wood .... it'll be longer than your driver, and you'll be the coolest golfer in your group :)

dave1
24th December 2011, 12:05 PM
I use 13 deg 3 wood because it does go low and ugly (out of the wind) but for many 15 degress is low enough

If I played on less windy track I would use a 15 no doubt.

shaft is really important like it is in drivers - for many with lower swing speeds a slightly lighter shaft with more kick lower to get it into the air isnt a bad option. My 3 wood is an old Srixon M steel and I love it, can hit a lovely low stinger into the breeze with it. while many clubs have come and gobne in my bag (yes I like tinkering like many do here) but the M steel has stayed. It has a 66 gram UST V2 reg in it.

There are so many options these days, shallow faces or deep faces or even consider a 14 or 15 deg hybrid. A 15 degree Adams super hybrid plays similar a 3 wood in terms of distance (nice high launch).

Shallow faced 3 woods are more forgiving (mostly) - deep faces for better ball strikers (they tend to be smaller) like the cobra s9-1 pro model 3 wood. But once you find a 3 wood that you like and it behaves keep it.

Under no circumstances change the darn thing.

adamsgolfer
24th December 2011, 12:57 PM
I use 13 deg 3 wood because it does go low and ugly (out of the wind) but for many 15 degress is low enough

If I played on less windy track I would use a 15 no doubt.

shaft is really important like it is in drivers - for many with lower swing speeds a slightly lighter shaft with more kick lower to get it into the air isnt a bad option. My 3 wood is an old Srixon M steel and I love it, can hit a lovely low stinger into the breeze with it. while many clubs have come and gobne in my bag (yes I like tinkering like many do here) but the M steel has stayed. It has a 66 gram UST V2 reg in it.

There are so many options these days, shallow faces or deep faces or even consider a 14 or 15 deg hybrid. A 15 degree Adams super hybrid plays similar a 3 wood in terms of distance (nice high launch).

Shallow faced 3 woods are more forgiving (mostly) - deep faces for better ball strikers (they tend to be smaller) like the cobra s9-1 pro model 3 wood. But once you find a 3 wood that you like and it behaves keep it.

Under no circumstances change the darn thing.

Thanks Dave1.

I note you play all reg shafts, what would you say your driver swing speed is and what kind of distance do you get with your driver?..

The reason I ask is that I have a couple of issues going on:

1. I feel like with my swing speed of 90-95 I'm in between reg and stiff but unsure if my current reg in my driver is right for me...typically I get 230m with roll from my drives when I latch on to one.

2. My reg 3 wood goes no further than 195m which I'm not happy with so I'm considering my options. Perhaps I may go the 15deg Adams Super Black (I love Adams) or perhaps I may re-shaft my 3 wood with a more suitable shaft such as you have done with the v2.

I know I should go to a club fitter etc.... but I haven't found one that I trust yet, generally the ones I speak to all contradict each other, so I guess I'm trying to learn as much as I can myself and from the experience of others such as yourself Dave1 - so I can weed out the bullshit.

dave1
24th December 2011, 02:24 PM
MY SS is 97-99 if I'm feeling good

95 if feeling bit tight or old fartish :D

I use an accra XC but its closer to reg than stiff even though M4 is classed as stiff. 195m with a 3 wood is fine.

I have never seen a club fitter in my life but unless youre parepared for hours of tinkering, reading and experimenting then go see a decent fitter, the guys here know who they are in your area

I have super adams 15 hybrid and its good for about the same distance (higher ball flight though)

accuracy is the game, I will give 10 meters of length for accuracy mate any day of the week

idgolfguy
24th December 2011, 06:56 PM
Merry Xmas to you and your family, Nev.

dave1
25th December 2011, 04:28 PM
Same mate

TheNuclearOne
28th December 2011, 11:24 PM
For the same reason the new CG16 irons are longer...? :razz: I'm sure a 16* 4 wood would be VERY similar to a 15* 3W

TEE have had the most explosive FW faces loft for loft for eons. Their titanium cup face has been ahead of the hordes. Wishon had similar speeds with his 515grt and 949mc. Only recently others have come to the fore as well, including the MP Titanium and F12 ti. TM look to have finally joined the brigade with the upcoming RBZ FW.

Daytona
4th November 2013, 04:05 PM
IMHO. Took me awhile to find the right 3 wood. If you are still in the process of looking for one and like to ho a bit. Go for the proven 3 wood that have good reviews. Callaway steelhead 3, Taylormade v steel and the burner HT. I still keep my steelhead3 and v steel. They're a keeper. Cheers!

Lagerlover
4th November 2013, 04:12 PM
IMHO. Took me awhile to find the right 3 wood. If you are still in the process of looking for one and like to ho a bit. Go for the proven 3 wood that have good reviews. Callaway steelhead 3, Taylormade v steel and the burner HT. I still keep my steelhead3 and v steel. They're a keeper. Cheers!

Older thread, god I miss dave1 and his gutless PM's, but benno's amp cell 3/4 wood restored my faith in fairways... Easiest thing I've hit.

(yes Mario, apart from a shank)

mrbluu
4th November 2013, 04:18 PM
Adams XTD, I only know of 1 other person on Ozgolf that is using it.....

AusOdy
4th November 2013, 04:34 PM
TEE XCG-V 15* for me, the longest serving club in my bag as well.

benno_r
4th November 2013, 04:37 PM
Older thread, god I miss dave1 and his gutless PM's, but benno's amp cell 3/4 wood restored my faith in fairways... Easiest thing I've hit.

(yes Mario, apart from a shank)

You know what - I regret selling you that. So much so I bought another one. And even though it isn't super low profile like a G20 or a baffler, I just love hitting it off the deck. I have it set to 4 wood, with a Kai'li 70s - beautiful club!

Lagerlover
4th November 2013, 04:55 PM
You know what - I regret selling you that. So much so I bought another one. And even though it isn't super low profile like a G20 or a baffler, I just love hitting it off the deck. I have it set to 4 wood, with a Kai'li 70s - beautiful club!

I love it so much that I've just ordered a brand spanking new one. Your sky mark on it was like when a dog marks its own territory, it was never really mine....(not to mention the strong urine smell)

Tried a Kuro shaft in it, but very happy with the stock fuel shaft in it.

Yours is going where it belongs...staying within the ozgolf community.

timah!
4th November 2013, 05:16 PM
Yep, the amp cell fairway is a good'un.

Now to find a tour version...

benno_r
4th November 2013, 05:24 PM
I love it so much that I've just ordered a brand spanking new one. Your sky mark on it was like when a dog marks its own territory, it was never really mine....(not to mention the strong urine smell)

Tried a Kuro shaft in it, but very happy with the stock fuel shaft in it.

Yours is going where it belongs...staying within the ozgolf community.

Well at least it is going to get a few more sky marks on it. I don't feel so bad now.

Lagerlover
4th November 2013, 05:34 PM
Well at least it is going to get a few more sky marks on it. I don't feel so bad now. haha, benno that was an awesome price for a minor mark. I definitely got the best end of that deal, and now I carry a three wood again, thanks.

Peppas
4th November 2013, 05:40 PM
Well at least it is going to get a few more sky marks on it. I don't feel so bad now.

What how do you know it's going to get a few more sky marks on it now? :)

benno_r
4th November 2013, 05:55 PM
What how do you know it's going to get a few more sky marks on it now? :)

Easy, you're an Ozgolfer... I dare you to beat my effort though!

Now we got some amp cell 3W love going - who wants shaft adapters?!?!?!?

Steve57
4th November 2013, 06:38 PM
Easy, you're an Ozgolfer... I dare you to beat my effort though!

Now we got some amp cell 3W love going - who wants shaft adapters?!?!?!?
What have you got Ben?

benno_r
4th November 2013, 06:43 PM
Technically haven't got any, but going to make an order if there is enough interest. See this here:

http://www.golfstiffy.com/product.php?productid=17937&cat=256&page=1

Steve57
4th November 2013, 06:49 PM
Technically haven't got any, but going to make an order if there is enough interest. See this here:

http://www.golfstiffy.com/product.php?productid=17937&cat=256&page=1
I wouldn't mind getting a Hybrid adaptor but they don't have any on that site.
Any other ideas where I can get one?

benno_r
4th November 2013, 06:59 PM
Yep, Fergo can get the lot. Picked up a 2h adapter from him the other week. If you want to grab a few, he'd be the cheapest, and they are OEM.

Steve57
4th November 2013, 07:23 PM
Yep, Fergo can get the lot. Picked up a 2h adapter from him the other week. If you want to grab a few, he'd be the cheapest, and they are OEM.Ok thanks.

Shortylook
21st November 2013, 02:34 PM
Just tell me the bestest/easiest one to hit and I'm buying it. Hate my second shot going in the bush or OOB on a long 4 or par 5

mrbluu
21st November 2013, 02:39 PM
Just tell me the bestest/easiest one to hit and I'm buying it. Hate my second shot going in the bush or OOB on a long 4 or par 5 Have u tried a 4 wood, or hybrids?The old vsteels are easiest off the deck. I've switched to the Adams XTD as its longer but its not as easy to hit.

Johnny Canuck
21st November 2013, 02:58 PM
Just tell me the bestest/easiest one to hit and I'm buying it. Hate my second shot going in the bush or OOB on a long 4 or par 5

Shorty, on your cap, you shouldn't be going for long par 4s in two or blasting fairway woods for your second shots on par 5s.

I know quite a few single digit markers that struggle to hit 3 woods.

Asking a question on a model and going out and buying it will end up being a waste of cash.

I would recommend practice, more loft ie. a 5 wood or hybrids, as Bluu says.

meh
21st November 2013, 03:42 PM
Shorty, on your cap, you shouldn't be going for long par 4s in two or blasting fairway woods for your second shots on par 5s.

Asking a question on a model and going out and buying it will end up being a waste of cash.

Or just buy a rbz stage 2 hl 17*. Awesome fairway wood.

Johnny Canuck
21st November 2013, 03:43 PM
Or just buy a rbz stage 2 hl 17*. Awesome fairway wood.

Love my 14.5 so much.

Shortylook
21st November 2013, 07:38 PM
I've got a 3&4 hybrid but can't hit them to save my life.

Ashes
21st November 2013, 07:40 PM
I love my 3 wood. Cobra Baffler Rail F.

Got the matching 5 wood and don't hit it as well for some reason.

mrbluu
21st November 2013, 08:11 PM
I've got a 3&4 hybrid but can't hit them to save my life.

Get a 5 wood....

Shortylook
21st November 2013, 08:11 PM

Yea mate I hear ya, just frustrated ATM, going to have to knuckle down and do a heap of work. My all round game stinks like arse. It's a practice fest I think and a few more lessons.
Cheers JC

Dotty
21st November 2013, 08:36 PM
Get a 5 wood....
What he said.

And Simmsy.

And Canuck.

Leftfoot75
21st November 2013, 08:46 PM

The latest Adams Super S fairway wood is a stupidly easy club to hit with. The shaft is a 65 gram shaft so not too demanding. They're only about $100 or so.

mrbluu
21st November 2013, 08:47 PM
The latest Adams Super S fairway wood is a stupidly easy club to hit with. The shaft is a 65 gram shaft so not too demanding. They're only about $100 or so. When did u get that u chopper?

Leftfoot75
21st November 2013, 08:51 PM
About two months ago, I considered the Super LS (which looks much nicer) but thought I'd better go w forgiveness.

mrbluu
21st November 2013, 08:57 PM
We need to hit the range late next week...

G.K
21st November 2013, 09:47 PM

This.

I can't hit my 3 wood to save myself so have ejected it from the bag.

I changed the way I play so that I will very rarely be trying to hit a green with anything longer than a 6 iron*. (*this may or may not have something to do with my aversion to greenside bunkers)

I'm sure everybody sees this but I regularly play with a guy that will automatically base club selection purely on distance to green regardless of what "hazards" may be in between or to the sides. As you would imagine, the chances of him putting his longer clubs where he wants are about 1 in 10 so is more often than not left having to punch it out of the scrub and walking away with a bogey at best, usually double or triple.

By all means, get yourself a new 3 wood because we all know how shiny new things improve your game :) But I think your scores will improve more by changing your approach with what you already have in the bag. After seeing your chipping around the greens at champs, I reckon you are good chance at making par quite regularly even if you are only hitting the green one shot above regulation, be it a par 4 or 5.

In short, I've got nothing in the way of a recommendation for a 3 wood :lol:

Shortylook
22nd November 2013, 01:27 AM
This.

I can't hit my 3 wood to save myself so have ejected it from the bag.

I changed the way I play so that I will very rarely be trying to hit a green with anything longer than a 6 iron*. (*this may or may not have something to do with my aversion to greenside bunkers)

I'm sure everybody sees this but I regularly play with a guy that will automatically base club selection purely on distance to green regardless of what "hazards" may be in between or to the sides. As you would imagine, the chances of him putting his longer clubs where he wants are about 1 in 10 so is more often than not left having to punch it out of the scrub and walking away with a bogey at best, usually double or triple.

By all means, get yourself a new 3 wood because we all know how shiny new things improve your game :) But I think your scores will improve more by changing your approach with what you already have in the bag. After seeing your chipping around the greens at champs, I reckon you are good chance at making par quite regularly even if you are only hitting the green one shot above regulation, be it a par 4 or 5.

In short, I've got nothing in the way of a recommendation for a 3 wood :lol:

Cheers GK
A new wood will make me feel better but won't change my scores. Hitting fairways and staying on there will helps heaps. If you seen me chip yesterday you would of laughed mate. Played like horseshit. Meh I can only get better or shiploads worse. Rangefinder was cool to mess around with.

Ferrins
22nd November 2013, 09:53 AM
Have decided to ditch the 3 wood and just carry a 5 wood. So my set up will be TM- SLDR 10.5* driver-RBZ 19* 5 wood- RBZ 22* hybrid then 3-pw. Setting up for a push back down to 5 Hcap.

Shortylook
22nd November 2013, 10:05 AM
Yea I think my 3wood has to go until I get better. Means I can carry some other club of destruction lol

Ferrins
22nd November 2013, 10:09 AM
Don't really have a need for three wood off the tee as would rather hit Driver or 3 iron.

simmsy
22nd November 2013, 10:10 AM
i reckon that is best decision mate. if you have 200m left into a par 4 as JC said the last thing you should be thinking of is getting on the green. hit wedge, wedge, 2 putt. happy days.

Ashes
22nd November 2013, 11:35 AM
i reckon that is best decision mate. if you have 200m left into a par 4 as JC said the last thing you should be thinking of is getting on the green. hit wedge, wedge, 2 putt. happy days.

I develop the shanks whenever I try that approach.

Ferrins
22nd November 2013, 11:51 AM
Sausage tie back strategic play is not for everybody.

Shortylook
22nd November 2013, 02:21 PM
Are you saying that sort of play is for the tunnels

mrbluu
22nd November 2013, 02:32 PM

I've played a round with, every shot u hit looked like a lay up ;-)

Ferrins
22nd November 2013, 02:40 PM
Because I was tanking.

mrbluu
22nd November 2013, 02:41 PM
Because I was tanking. Good to see the truth come out....

hacker
22nd November 2013, 05:55 PM

What is "Sausage tie back strategic play"? is it what Simmsy said and hitting short shots that link (like sausages)?

I'm assuming that is what it is, but just wanting to check.

Ferrins
22nd November 2013, 06:05 PM
What is "Sausage tie back strategic play"? is it what Simmsy said and hitting short shots that link (like sausages)?I'm assuming that is what it is, but just wanting to check. You need to watch 'Silence of the Lambs'

Ashes
22nd November 2013, 06:27 PM
Is it really necessary to watch an entire movie? Can someone give us the gist of it?

Ferrins
22nd November 2013, 06:32 PM
Mangina.

TheNuclearOne
22nd November 2013, 06:43 PM
Is it really necessary to watch an entire movie? Can someone give us the gist of it?

Have you seen it? If not it's very much worth watching, amazing movie.

Ashes
22nd November 2013, 06:45 PM
Have you seen it? If not it's very much worth watching, amazing movie.

Embarrassed to say I've seen it heaps... Great movie yes, but not ringing any bells at the moment.

Pieface
22nd November 2013, 07:00 PM
I think that's just because our resident goth doesn't see anything abnormal about BB behaviour in that flick :lol:

Ferrins
22nd November 2013, 07:01 PM
"She put de lime in de coconut, she drank dem bot up."

Johnny Canuck
23rd November 2013, 10:22 AM
The tie back occurs in Ace Ventura as well.

Dotty
23rd November 2013, 10:34 AM
The tie back occurs in Ace Ventura as well.
Also in Clerks 2.

Johnny Canuck
23rd November 2013, 10:49 AM
Also in Clerks 2.

Easily the low point of Kevin Smith's career.