PDA

View Full Version : Down falls or positives of lite weight high launch shafts in 3 woods

popper81
21st December 2011, 10:19 PM
Ok, I have been struggling to find a 3 wood that appeals to me. I have tried a few and to be honest I have been hitting them all pretty ordinary. My journey has now taken me from nunchuk'd 910 to vsteel and a few in between. The struggle has been getting enough carry and height. I have managed to get my hands on a Razr hawk 3 with graphite designs AD MD 6. This is a pretty lite weight shaft but after hitting at the range tonight the results thus far are promising. Early days I know, but height was not a problem and the carry appeared to be much better.

My experience and research always leaned towards a 3 wood shaft that was heavier than you driver shaft, but I have really struggled with this type set up. Looking through a few WITB it appears most prescribe to this theory as well.

Has anyone tried the other way? What have your experiences been like if you have?

Interested to hear what you all have to say..

goonie
21st December 2011, 11:16 PM
i have had the same issues and have tried nearly everthing in the fw woods, but after using the nunchuck in the driver and 4 wood i have been trying counter weights in my driver, 4 wood and hybrid and getting some good results. I am currently using a Diamana Red Board 83s with a counter weight in my 910 4 wood and it is going well so far

I have found that if the shafts are to light I hit them ok some times but most of the time i get to quick or lose my timing.

rubin
21st December 2011, 11:21 PM
are u referring to actual weight or swing weight?

My driver is significantly heavier than my 3 wood, but they swing weight at about the same and my 3 wood is far more accurate than my driver (although i am getting it back slowly). Having said that, im rocking the 'chuk in both driver and 3w, and there may be about 10m distance gap between them. :(

dave1
22nd December 2011, 02:00 AM
I'm using a V2 shaft in a srixon m ste 13 deg 3 wood

V2 weighs 66 grams.While its lite in weight it doesn't feel lite.I have no idea of swing weight and it's a reg but ball flight is low.

Its my oldest club in the bag. It's a keeper.

popper81
22nd December 2011, 07:40 AM
I am glad others have had similar quests. Rubin, referring to shaft weight not swing weight.

The MD is only 63 grams and really feels lite. I currently have the ad di 7 in my driver and love it. The di is low spin and the md is high spin and can notice significant difference, but for what I am trying to achieve in 3 wood a good result.

I personally think high spin could be what I needed, in 3 wood only though.

I know I will loose a little control this way. Goonie makes a good point about tempo as well.
Any other pit falls?

TheNuclearOne
22nd December 2011, 06:53 PM
I like 70-75'ish in a driver and the same in the 3 wood. Once i get around the 78 and heavier i struggle no matter what the shaft brand or profile. i hit em crap. I'd had success with high 60 grams in the 3 as well a fair way back. The MD is an extremely good shaft.

Daves
22nd December 2011, 06:57 PM
Really depends on the shaft/head combo in my experience. I have a Cobra Speed 3 wood with the stock made for Aldila NV 55 grammer in it and it just works. I have tried other light weight FW shafts and they feel like spaghetti.

popper81
23rd December 2011, 01:37 PM
Played again today, first round with the new stick... The AD MD is a impressive shaft. Ball flight is much better, distance good. Think I may have found a winner.......for now.

virge666
23rd December 2011, 01:42 PM
Nothing wrong with a lite shaft in your 3 wood - go for it.