PDA

View Full Version : Speed cameras hidden and signed, whats your take.

i Golf
20th December 2011, 08:06 PM
I personally love speed cameras, I reckon if your dumb enough to speed then you deserve to get fined. Its not like there aren't many speed signs to tell you how fast you can go. On most main roads there is a sign every few hundred metres and most ppl drive the same road all the time and could tell you what the limit on that road is, but they still choose to go faster than the limit, Why?

Today I had a boof head sitting up my rectum, I knew that there was a copper doing speed readings on the street about 400m down the road as I had to do a uuee and go back home, So I pulled over and let this twit fly by me, it was a 60 zone but me thinks he was doing about 100 when he came over the bridge, then imagine my hysterics when i get over the bridge to see a copper waving him down, I went past him slowly and gave him a gobful of your a fkwit mate its a 60 zone with kids everywhere you stupid c*** the copper loved it.

You hear about people claiming its revenue raising??? do those ppl advocate speeding. I don't if the sign post says 80 I am happy to do 80, especially in and around road works.

I reckon there should be speed cameras and red light cameras every where.

What do you lot reckon?

Yossarian
20th December 2011, 09:20 PM
I hope it wasn't an illegal u turn.

Dotty
20th December 2011, 09:38 PM
Sounds like entrapment to me.

Yossarian
20th December 2011, 09:38 PM
Entrapment is, sort of, allowed in Australia.

i Golf
20th December 2011, 09:46 PM
Plenty of street signs saying 60Kmph I reckon he'd have driven past 4 of them if he came onto the road where I reckon he came from, even if he didn't he'd have driven past 2.

I got no issues with coppers hiding behind trees fining dikwits who one day may kill a child or some other innocent person?

Daves
20th December 2011, 09:59 PM
I reckon speed camera generally suck (but I am OK with Red Light Cameras).

They suck for a number of reasons;

1) because they only catch people exceeding a arbitrary limit, but do nothing to rid us of the clowns who drive at 20 or more ks under the limit causing all sorts of chaos, inconvenience and frustration.
2) I have seen fixed speed cameras on certain stretches of overtaking lane where it is impossible to get past a slower car safely without exceeding the limit because the lane isn't long enough to do so.
3) I have seen fixed speed cameras in NSW that were nothing more than total entrapment, being 10 metres short of where a 100km zone (from a 60km zone) officially started.
4) Because said clowns driving at 20kms or more slower than general traffic still hit the brakes hard when they see a speed camera.
5) Rubberneckers can't help themselves and create havoc as they have to have a gander on the way past.
6) I never see them in places that really are dangerous, like 40km/20km shared zones.
7) Because they are a cop out for having more police on the road, which imo is far more of a speed deterrent and a safety factor.

BrisVegas
20th December 2011, 10:20 PM
I bought a 2.8 turbo diesel Pajero, so I can't speed any more. :lol:

i Golf
20th December 2011, 10:36 PM
You actually legally have a 200m buffer from where a signed area changes limits, which makes school zones for example not really 40kmph area, you go from 60 to 40 and you've got 200m to bring your car to 40Kmph, I am astounded that these areas are even in existence, the 40Kmph school sign should be 200m back from where it is.

I often wonder why ppl need a physical police presence on the road to do the right thing?? why do ppl have to see a copper so they do the right thing?? I've never understood that bit like having a classroom full of kids who only behave when the teacher is present?

mike
20th December 2011, 10:43 PM
You hear about people claiming its revenue raising??I think it is.

TheNuclearOne
20th December 2011, 10:44 PM
Lucky the copper was too busy to book you for shouting obscenites of the most vulgar kind around all those kids (everywhere) that you mentioned. Or road rage!

kev
21st December 2011, 12:04 AM
Point to point cameras are a much better option.

Zeusgolf
21st December 2011, 02:11 AM
Entrapment is, sort of, allowed in Australia.

How can it be entrapment.....

From wiki and its my understanding......In criminal law, entrapment is conduct by a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.

That coq bag would have speed regardless.....

Zeusgolf
21st December 2011, 02:12 AM
You actually legally have a 200m buffer from where a signed area changes limits, which makes school zones for example not really 40kmph area, you go from 60 to 40 and you've got 200m to bring your car to 40Kmph, I am astounded that these areas are even in existence, the 40Kmph school sign should be 200m back from where it is.

I often wonder why ppl need a physical police presence on the road to do the right thing?? why do ppl have to see a copper so they do the right thing?? I've never understood that bit like having a classroom full of kids who only behave when the teacher is present?

Wrong !

Zeusgolf
21st December 2011, 02:22 AM
I think it is.

Yep it is but how the hell is this govt. supposed to get into surplus and fund agencies that are a burden to the budget....in other words how do you fund agencies which cost money and make none or cost more than they make.....

No cameras = higher taxes.....

Slow down let the d!c$heads pay the taxes

sms316
21st December 2011, 06:47 AM
A lot of speed limits are too low anyway. Especially on country dual lane freeways.

Grunt
21st December 2011, 06:55 AM
Looks as if NSW is listening that more police visible reduce speeding as they have just announced increase to the highway patrol.

goughy
21st December 2011, 06:57 AM
No issues with them.

just
21st December 2011, 07:07 AM
No problems with them. We should lowering the speed limits on many roads.

3oneday
21st December 2011, 07:20 AM
Although anyone who drops to 10k under the limit when they see a speed camra sign should be booked for loitering.

shazza_rs
21st December 2011, 07:32 AM
I have no issue with them. You shouldn't be speeding and if you get caught, bad luck.

Sydney Hacker
21st December 2011, 08:07 AM
Although anyone who drops to 10k under the limit when they see a speed camra sign should be booked for loitering.

Or 40 in the school zone ones, even though it is 9:00 at night!

Lobsta
21st December 2011, 08:15 AM
Or 40 in the school zone ones, even though it is 9:00 at night!

Or a Sunday in the middle of school holidays!

Ned
21st December 2011, 08:49 AM
You hear about people claiming its revenue raising???

On face value where some cameras/traps are placed, people could think that.

On the flip side research the cost of major accident outcomes: extraction, medical treatment, investigation, Coroners Court, rehabilitation etc. (And those are just the direct costs)

Aside from the QPS/QAS vehicles, the cost to fit out a Fire and Rescue Vehicle for Road Accident Rescue is a huge expense. (The Fire Levy doesn't fully cover the RAR gear, mainly actual fire fighting equipment)

On the floor at Mareeba Fire Station alone is in excess of $800K of vehicles.

Then there is the initial and ongoing skill maintenance training, then the up skill costs and equipment changes.

Those that have worked in Emergency and Essential Services see first hand that a split second decision (be it to speed or as a result of speeding that they were involved in an accident) destroys lives. (for the victims and those that live)

Speeding is only one part, but its a major part and if you then add in drivers inexperience, drugs, alcohol and even peer pressures then its not a matter of if but when.

BrisVegas
21st December 2011, 08:52 AM
The UK is raising speed limits to 80mph on some motorways. Wow!

mike
21st December 2011, 09:04 AM
You hear about people claiming its revenue raising??

I think it is.Just to clarify, I'm all for slowing people down.

But I do believe speed cameras can be used in places where it's actually dangerous to be 13 kmh over. Case in point, last time I was booked was driving out of Tully just before the 80kmh speed sign. I was doing 73 kmh.

Question for the cops; why is it an offence to flash your lights at someone to warn them of a speed camera?

jaybam
21st December 2011, 09:17 AM
Cause it costs them money.

Daves
21st December 2011, 09:27 AM
Just to clarify, I'm all for slowing people down.

But I do believe speed cameras can be used in places where it's actually dangerous to be 13 kmh over. Case in point, last time I was booked was driving out of Tully just before the 80kmh speed sign. I was doing 73 kmh.

Question for the cops; why is it an offence to flash your lights at someone to warn them of a speed camera?

That is my issue Mike, that and I see no evidence that Speed Cameras change behaviour other than to slow down around known speed camera sites. Excess speed is a significant factor in road deaths no doubt, as are a mirade of other poor behaviours I see every day. But only the speeding seems to get any focus because of the revenue, the emotional arguments, and the easy cop out on doing something about it. I reckon 2 in 10 cars I see every day are not road legal, probably more. No brake lights, indicators etc, worn tyres, and illegal modifications. I am told 10% or more of cars on the road aren't even registered or insured. And more than 10% of drivers are unlicensed or worse. Then there are the texters, mobile phoners, the no signalers, the red light runners, the tail gaters, the illegal manoeuvrings, the no stoppers (at stop signs) and the "I haven't got a clue" on roundabouts just to name a few. I reckon if we were serious 25% or more of drivers would loose their licenses tomorrow! I haven't received a speeding fines in many years, touch wood!

I believe that the light flashing is technically illegal under the old "no high beam within 200m of another vehicle rules". There aren't any specific rules about flashing a warning of a speed camera that I am aware of. So yes, they are using a bastardisation of the road rules to try and bully us!

just
21st December 2011, 09:28 AM
Dave
You forgot the Mercedes drivers. Just shocking.

Daves
21st December 2011, 09:35 AM
Dave
You forgot the Mercedes drivers. Just shocking.

Yes mate, they get terribly infuriated by those poncy little i30s that keep getting in the way and blowing diesel fumes all over their nice duco! They should be banned!;)

Zeusgolf
21st December 2011, 12:01 PM
Just to clarify, I'm all for slowing people down.

Its not in WA....

It was considered a hinder, and drivers used to get charged....however there is case law now from the WA Surpreme Court of Appeal.....which now gives a defence...

I have no clue as to which exact case...

Cameras provide one major benefit in that it provides speed detection without using a copper, for the cop bashers this should appease your whinging about cops should be out there catching Murders(Dangerous/Reckless driving causing death FWIW), Sex Offenders, Robbers ect....instead of wasting time catching speeders.......

luza
21st December 2011, 12:08 PM

How is it that Radio Station Road Reports can broadcast where Radars are situated?

Zeusgolf
21st December 2011, 12:11 PM
That is my issue Mike, that and I see no evidence that Speed Cameras change behaviour other than to slow down around known speed camera sites. Excess speed is a significant factor in road deaths no doubt, as are a mirade of other poor behaviours I see every day. But only the speeding seems to get any focus because of the revenue, the emotional arguments, and the easy cop out on doing something about it. I reckon 2 in 10 cars I see every day are not road legal, probably more. No brake lights, indicators etc, worn tyres, and illegal modifications. I am told 10% or more of cars on the road aren't even registered or insured. And more than 10% of drivers are unlicensed or worse. Then there are the texters, mobile phoners, the no signalers, the red light runners, the tail gaters, the illegal manoeuvrings, the no stoppers (at stop signs) and the "I haven't got a clue" on roundabouts just to name a few. I reckon if we were serious 25% or more of drivers would loose their licenses tomorrow! I haven't received a speeding fines in many years, touch wood!

I believe that the light flashing is technically illegal under the old "no high beam within 200m of another vehicle rules". There aren't any specific rules about flashing a warning of a speed camera that I am aware of. So yes, they are using a bastardisation of the road rules to try and bully us!

;) if you weren't speeding you could do that and more while driving..... :-p

Targeting speeding is partly revenue raising the govt. are just too scared to say it.....

BTW i've been to worse and placed bits of body in a bag with tongs, then told mum and dad their 17yr was killed.....if only he hadn't of been speeding he might have survived .... http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/two-dead-in-fiery-crash-on-riverside-drive-just-east-of-city/story-e6frg13u-1226226382165

http://www.perthnow.com.au/gallery-e6frg1vc-1226226532507?page=1

Zeusgolf
21st December 2011, 12:12 PM
How is it that Radio Station Road Reports can broadcast where Radars are situated?

There is no offence in written law to tell someone else the location of the devices....

mike
21st December 2011, 02:50 PM
Why are radar detectors illegal? Surely anything that slows down speeding drivers is a good thing. Hence my question about flashing your lights.

MegaWatty
21st December 2011, 03:03 PM
Legal in WA.

rubin
21st December 2011, 03:06 PM
Legal in WA.

thank god for that.

Daves
23rd December 2011, 10:17 AM
POINT TO POINT SPEED ENFORCEMENT ON BRUCE HIGHWAY STARTS DECEMBER 21
Speed cameras on the northbound lanes of the Bruce Highway between Beerburrum and Landsborough will begin operating as point-to-point speed cameras tomorrow, Police Minister Neil Roberts announsaid.

Mr Roberts said the cameras had been operating as fixed speed cameras since early August while further testing of the point-to-point enforcement system was undertaken.

"The Queensland Police Service has now completed its trial and point-to-point enforcement will commence tomorrow," Mr Roberts said.

"The two cameras are located around 14 kilometres apart on the highway and will record the time taken to travel the distance.

"Police will then be able to determine the average speed of vehicles and issue infringement notices to drivers exceeding the speed limit."

Mr Roberts said an additional camera had been installed at the southern end of the enforcement area to catch motorists trying to avoid the cameras by using a nearby off-ramp.

"We know that speeding kills. We also know that speed cameras whether they are fixed, mobile or hand-held encourage motorists to slow down," Mr Roberts said.

"The Bligh Government and the Queensland Police Service make no apology for undertaking speed enforcement because we want to see fewer lives lost on our roads."

Queensland Police Service State Traffic Support Branch Chief Superintendent Bob Gee said speeding had contributed to around 50 deaths on our roads so far this year.

"Point-to-point speed cameras are a valuable addition to the marked and covert patrols and speed vans which are already used to try to influence driver behaviour," Chief Superintendent Gee said.

"During trials in November and December this year, average speeds over this 14.5km section have been as high as 159 and 169 kms/hr.

"Using technology like this frees up our officers to focus their attention on other dangerous driver behaviour - such as inattention and drin k and drug driving.

"We hope that together, the mix of cameras and a heavy police presence will encourage all road users to 'think before you drive' this Christmas.

Drivers exceeding the speed limit at either of the camera locations on the highway, or having an average speed exceeding the speed limit between any of the three cameras will be detected. Drivers will be issued with one infringement notice for the highest speed detected.

Iain
23rd December 2011, 10:33 AM
If there was actual proof that speed cameras saved lives, but I think it's just revenue raising.

Hasn't the yearly death toll been rising for a few years now?

AndyP
23rd December 2011, 10:35 AM
I think these cameras are better, as are picking up those who consistently speed and not the occasional lapse where you creep over. I drive through there on a monthly basis, so I've been waiting for them to be made active.

Daves
23rd December 2011, 10:48 AM
If there was actual proof that speed cameras saved lives, but I think it's just revenue raising.

Hasn't the yearly death toll been rising for a few years now?

No it has actually being falling, though 2009 was a bad blip year. This year's toll is ahead of 2010 already, but 2010 was a very low figure historically;

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/d11b4779-a716-42be-9841-a2795e134feb/stats_year_in_review_road_crash_report_2010.pdf

Woody502
23rd December 2011, 11:19 AM
It could be worse lads my home town (Nottingham) in England was the guinea pig site for the P2P cameras back in 2000 and now has around a dozen major roads leading in and out of the city covered.

If I remember correctly from the early data it did show after the introduction of these cameras the number of accidents/deaths did drop.

After a quick search it found the case study below.

http://www.speedcheck.co.uk/images/Nottingham_Case_Study.pdf

WBennett
23rd December 2011, 11:41 AM
Speed cameras are a lazy form of policing. In Canberra they routinely use them at the bottom of long dual carriageway down hill runs - so drivers ride the brakes to get back to 80kmh. Causes more problems than it saves, and its nothing more than revenue raising.

I'm all for speed cameras in 40/50/60 kmh zones, but abhor blatant revenue raising where the the roads are already 'under the appropriate limit' (http://the-riotact.com/no-news-on-gde-speed-limit-front/61705)

kev
23rd December 2011, 12:12 PM
Given that the average age of the cars on Australian roads is 10 years (http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/9309.0), you could say the speed limits are appropriate for the (lack of) technology/safety features in those cars. Furthermore, I wouldn't would say there are a lot of drivers who can't handle a car competently at higher speeds.

Edit - apostrophe in there that shouldn't be.

rubin
23rd December 2011, 12:31 PM
Given that the average age of the cars on Australian roads is 10 years (http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/9309.0), you could say the speed limits are appropriate for the (lack of) technology/safety features in those cars. Furthermore, I wouldn't say there are a lot of drivers who can't handle a car competently at higher speeds.

I beg to differ:
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/two-killed-as-car-ripped-in-half-in-fireball-crash-20111220-1p2xj.html

virge666
23rd December 2011, 01:09 PM
OK,

The only problem I have with fixed speed camera and this happens all throughout our great city of Sydney is the changing speed limits..
The M5 in Sydney . . . . . Depending on the time of day, the amount of traffic and how you hold you mouth - the speed limits change about 5 times in a 2km distance... 80km/h from beginning to end please... stop screwing it up .

Mobile cameras are fine if they are in black spots . . not just some idiot hiding behind a tree at the bottom of a hill. That is not what I pay for the cops 12 months of training for some poor bastard to do.

#2: 40Km zones in front of schools are also a bloody joke. You cannot change the speed limit from 70km/hto 40Km/h in peak hour. And before some heartbleeding muppet pleads that there use to be dead children splattered all over the roads in front of schools before this great saftey law came into being... check the history of that law and see how it came into being without any research, and I mean none.

The pedestrian council has a lot to answer for . . .

kev
23rd December 2011, 04:15 PM
I beg to differ:
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/two-killed-as-car-ripped-in-half-in-fireball-crash-20111220-1p2xj.html

My apologies - meant to say "would". Edited to read:

I would say there are a lot of drivers who can't handle a car competently at higher speeds.

Zeusgolf
23rd December 2011, 04:16 PM
OK,

The only problem I have with fixed speed camera and this happens all throughout our great city of Sydney is the changing speed limits..
The M5 in Sydney . . . . . Depending on the time of day, the amount of traffic and how you hold you mouth - the speed limits change about 5 times in a 2km distance... 80km/h from beginning to end please... stop screwing it up .

Mobile cameras are fine if they are in black spots . . not just some idiot hiding behind a tree at the bottom of a hill. That is not what I pay for the cops 12 months of training for some poor bastard to do.

#2: 40Km zones in front of schools are also a bloody joke. You cannot change the speed limit from 70km/hto 40Km/h in peak hour. And before some heartbleeding muppet pleads that there use to be dead children splattered all over the roads in front of schools before this great saftey law came into being... check the history of that law and see how it came into being without any research, and I mean none.

The pedestrian council has a lot to answer for . . .

Sydney = Sh1ttiest roads in Aus and best drivers.......go figure

Dotty
23rd December 2011, 04:57 PM
Sydney = Sh1ttiest roads in Aus and best drivers.......go figure
Probably because we have the most SUVs and that can automatically compensate for the shitty roads, before the driver can react (either rightly or wrongly).

I wouldn't look far past another Forester or Outback for the next car.

MAZA68
23rd December 2011, 05:32 PM
"During trials in November and December this year, average speeds over this 14.5km section have been as high as 159 and 169 kms/hr.

Glad I'm on not on the roads when these clowns are around.

Lobsta
23rd December 2011, 08:16 PM
One point that keeps getting plugged about the introduction of speed cameras is that since their introduction, the road toll has fallen. While this is empirically true, it does not automatically follow that the speed cameras are the direct cause of this. Since the introduction of speed cameras, there have been massive advances in car safety including but not limited to: ABS, traction control, airbags, crumple zones, mandatory seat belts, reduction in lap-sash style seat belts, mandatory child seats, increase in popularity of defensive driving courses, etc.

To automatically assume that the speed cameras led to the reduction in the road toll would be like saying "Over the last year I have bought new irons, wedges, putters, woods, drivers, pro lessons, bag, shoes, balls, reading glasses and glove, but it was definitely the new head covers that brought my handicap down" Too many variables to categorically make that call.

AndyP
23rd December 2011, 08:18 PM
It's a flat straight stretch with no chance of the cops being on the side of the road because it falls away. It's a good spot to test how fast your car can go.

bergsey
23rd December 2011, 11:44 PM
For the WAnkers out there i noticed today that there were signs on the freeway heading north before you cross vincent street with big camera symbols on them.. it is in the 80 zone before it increases to 100. Not sure if they are they just as a reminder or if they are going to put fixed cameras in ?

rubin
24th December 2011, 12:03 AM
For the WAnkers out there i noticed today that there were signs on the freeway heading north before you cross vincent street with big camera symbols on them.. it is in the 80 zone before it increases to 100. Not sure if they are they just as a reminder or if they are going to put fixed cameras in ?

I noticed them as well. I'm guessing a fixed camera, especially after the "success" of the current one.

bergsey
24th December 2011, 12:09 AM
Haven't kept up with the news for a few days - http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/freeway-speed-camera-nabs-20000-absolute-idiots/story-e6frg12c-1226228619483

The signs were a long way back, i thought it must have been in the 80 zone - heaps of people speed through there particularly when there is little traffic as it is freeway so most people assume it is 100k's. Why the 80 zone goes for so long who knows.

Apparently the camera is just before the karrinyup road exit which is in the 100k zone

rubin
24th December 2011, 12:13 AM
Haven't kept up with the news for a few days - http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/freeway-speed-camera-nabs-20000-absolute-idiots/story-e6frg12c-1226228619483

The signs were a long way back, i thought it must have been in the 80 zone - heaps of people speed through there particularly when there is little traffic as it is freeway so most people assume it is 100k's. Why the 80 zone goes for so long who knows.

Apparently the camera is just before the karrinyup road exit which is in the 100k zone

I do all the time, especially when I'm heading out to fits from work.

If they were going to, it would work on the other side coming into the city. All the people cruising along at 100, before it drops off to 80. See many a cop car there on the side having pulled someone over.

I remember a story that they were going to put em in the tunnel at 100m intervals or something...... Did that ever happen?

bergsey
24th December 2011, 12:29 AM
I do all the time, especially when I'm heading out to fits from work.

If they were going to, it would work on the other side coming into the city. All the people cruising along at 100, before it drops off to 80. See many a cop car there on the side having pulled someone over.

I remember a story that they were going to put em in the tunnel at 100m intervals or something...... Did that ever happen?

Nah don't think they ended up putting them in there due to technical issues

Came back from the Vines tonight down Reid Hwy, hadn't been along there since they put bridges over Mirabooka Ave and Alexander Dve. Beautiful wide two lane hwy, better than freeway condition but 90k speed limit. No traffic lights. No nearby houses/schools/anything you could hit... ridiculous !

MAZA68
24th December 2011, 03:05 PM
It's a flat straight stretch with no chance of the cops being on the side of the road because it falls away. It's a good spot to test how fast your car can go.

Just remember to tell that to the cop with the laser gun that I saw at the side of the road a couple of weeks ago.

AndyP
24th December 2011, 03:48 PM
So they had a cop there in addition to the fixed speed camera?

Revenue raisers.

MAZA68
24th December 2011, 04:09 PM
yep, double dipping.