PDA

View Full Version : Irons off the Deck

Collis
19th December 2011, 04:28 PM
Have been having numerous problems hiting any irons 3-6 off the ground.
Seem to top them or pull the crap out of them.
I go to my lessons try to show him and hit them fine?

Any Ideas

matty
19th December 2011, 04:50 PM
If that's the case, it sounds like you concentrate more on your setup/the shot in front of the pro than when you're out by yourself.

idgolfguy
19th December 2011, 04:51 PM
Try practising chipping and pitching before full swings. Reinforce the feeling of compression and good contact.Perhaps a bit of sway on the backseing.

Pieface
19th December 2011, 05:19 PM
Possibly feeling like you have to hit them harder to get the distance Collis? I always top and pull when I chase them, usually my tempo goes to crap. You might take your time in front of the pro and not be worrying about the distance?

markTHEblake
19th December 2011, 05:26 PM
Get proper irons for choppers like Just bought. I have it in my 3 iron and the harder i hit it the easier it is to hit.

maltby Gliders,, or pay 20x more for PRGR Egg Spoons if your ego cant handle the Maltbys

Stuartd147
19th December 2011, 05:59 PM
When you get a lesson do you aim for something (I mean really aim?)....sounds like the anxiety of hitting at the target (flag) and seeing the result is pulling you around and you are coming over the top...results in a cut, a pull or a bad strike. Maybe concentraining just on making a good swing and letting the ball "get in the way" of your club may be a better thought for you, just like on the practise tee!!!!

my 2c (for what it's worth)...Stu

rubin
19th December 2011, 06:00 PM
one of the things thats been helping me recently, is taking an extra club on what you would normally take, and swing easy. I used to (and still do) have issues on the longer irons when i go after it. if I take an extra club and swing easy, it goes straighter. once you start getting used to the right feeling again, you can put a bit more on it.

yoyo
19th December 2011, 07:13 PM
yeh i second what rubin said, take an extra club and swing easy. Also, at your lessons are you hitting off astroturf or grass?

Collis
20th December 2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks Guys,
The Lessons are just off the grass.
I think im just trying to swing at it to hard, and need to relax.
Will report how i go over the coming weeks.

markTHEblake
20th December 2011, 02:10 PM
Try practising chipping and pitching before full swings. Reinforce the feeling of compression and good contact.all golfers should take heed of this and stay away from 'Swing easy'.

rubin
20th December 2011, 02:18 PM
true MTB - but its not going to help if your trying to belt the cover of the ball every time as well.

idgolfguy
20th December 2011, 02:43 PM
Smooth back swing means appropriate tempo in relation to powering the downswing. The downswings is always aggressive for me.

i Golf
20th December 2011, 09:38 PM
If you physically try and slow your swing down, you'll hit it crap. If I slow my swing down I can never hit it as well as hitting a full swing. Slowing my swing down opens me up to hitting slices and hitting it fat, simply because I might be able to slow my arms down but my legs/hips will come through to early. Rhythm and repedetiveness is the key to a consistent swing.

Hitting it thin might be as simple as the ball might be marginally too far forward probably about 2 insches by the sounds of it.

Hooking it could be the ball is too far foward and the club is closed at impact see above.

problems are usually pretty easy to solve if you think latterally about cause and effect.

When I practice I will purposly play a full swing with any club and have the ball too far forward and back just to reinforce in my mind what is too far forward and too far back, then proceed to hit the ball and if its too far back it'll come off almost as a shank but it comes off an severly open club face, and when its too far forward I'll either skull it over the green or it'll be pulled left.

knowing what is wrong setup wise is equally as important as knowing what is right.

Stuartd147
20th December 2011, 10:11 PM
i Golf, I am the same...if I take an extra club and back off with a slow swing I get a fade too if I overdo it (useful when I want one though!), you usually practise full swings so stick with them on the course I reckon, the game is hard enough!

...Stu

rubin
20th December 2011, 10:58 PM
i golf = 14971

Yossarian
20th December 2011, 11:01 PM
Jealous of his banter rubin?

rubin
20th December 2011, 11:02 PM
Jealous of his banter rubin?

Far from it. Prob could have used a better pic though. But for some reason, he reminds me of Charlie.......

Golfnut
20th December 2011, 11:08 PM
I'm a chopper but I agree entirely with the last 3 posts. I only ever club up for the first few holes if I haven't had a proper warm up prior to the round.Edit. The last 3 posts prior that dribble :roll:

i Golf
21st December 2011, 11:57 AM
So, who here has given the original poster any advice or help in relation to his problem???

Yep thats right none of you.

So either you don't know how to fix his problems, or you don't know how to fix his problems?? which one is it?

Yossarian
21st December 2011, 11:58 AM
I think pretty much everyone has except me.

rubin
21st December 2011, 12:04 PM
So, who here has given the original poster any advice or help in relation to his problem???

So either you don't know how to fix his problems, or you don't know how to fix his problems?? which one is it?

Rather presumptuous.

And apparently you haven't read any of the posts other than your own.

Pieface
21st December 2011, 12:09 PM

I think he should hit thousands of golfballs.

3oneday
21st December 2011, 12:11 PM
Ask your pro, not these clowns.

idgolfguy
21st December 2011, 05:08 PM
So, who here has given the original poster any advice or help in relation to his problem???Yep thats right none of you.So either you don't know how to fix his problems, or you don't know how to fix his problems?? which one is it?What's up with you? A number of posts have described a few approaches to the issue. Without proper diagnosis, all you will get is anecdotal advice.

matty
21st December 2011, 06:26 PM

That's a bit of an antagonistic comment, even more than Rubin's. After re-reading your original post it's all about you and what you do. I don't see too many suggestions on how you will help him. In post no.2 you will see that I suggested it may be setup/concentration. If you have an issue with a post ignore them. There's only one person I ignore on this forum! Lumping everyone together won't get you far.

rubin
21st December 2011, 06:57 PM
That's a bit of an antagonistic comment, even more than Rubin's. After re-reading your original post it's all about you and what you do. I don't see too many suggestions on how you will help him. In post no.2 you will see that I suggested it may be setup/concentration. If you have an issue with a post ignore them. There's only one person I ignore on this forum! Lumping everyone together won't get you far.

I wouldn't say mine was overly antagonistic. Definately far from being the worst i've seen anyway. I just wanted to let the guy know he reminds me of a celebrity ;)

markTHEblake
21st December 2011, 08:02 PM
I golf = Troll, do not feed it.

The writing style is very much the same as a previous troll no doubt has come back for another crack. Maybe his internet girlfreind dumped him.

idgolfguy
21st December 2011, 08:08 PM
I thought it was just me thinking that.

Yossarian
21st December 2011, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't say mine was overly antagonistic. Definately far from being the worst i've seen anyway. I just wanted to let the guy know he reminds me of a celebrity ;)
You gave swing advice, he gave swing advice, you potted him, he potted everyone.

paulyboy
21st December 2011, 08:14 PM
Like downhill skiing really

virge666
21st December 2011, 08:39 PM
Go to YouTube

Lookup "Faldo preset drill"

Watch and absorb . . .

Hit your long irons like a champ !

i Golf
21st December 2011, 08:47 PM
I could reply with something along the lines of, maybe if Rubin spent as much time honing his game as he spends here making snide remarks on here maybe he'd break 100 more than once in the last 12 months, but I wont go down that path, cause then I would be stooping to his level.

3oneday
21st December 2011, 08:54 PM
Ho Ho Ho

paulyboy
21st December 2011, 08:58 PM
It ain't kosher to bring someones golfing ability into a tit for tat

rubin
21st December 2011, 08:59 PM
Edit: scratch that.

Have fun trolling. Ur not worth the effort

i Golf
21st December 2011, 09:10 PM
mate youve made what 3600 post in a year, that tells me you spend insane amounts of time here, more of a sayer than a doer IMO,

As to honing my skills I hit balls for 2-3 hours a day at present, as I want to be a far better golfer than I am at the moment, For me I am not happy shooting 85s to 95s I want to be shooting sub 75s on tough as nuts courses.

Yossarian
21st December 2011, 09:21 PM
You are gold coast golfer.

Stuartd147
21st December 2011, 09:25 PM
Collis is asking for "any ideas".....why do genuine requests end up with a bitch slap? If "you" have something positive to say to the guy then go ahead, can we leave any critcism of other member's comments out of it for once?

Daves
21st December 2011, 09:32 PM
Go to YouTube

Lookup "Faldo preset drill"

Watch and absorb . . .

Hit your long irons like a champ !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hXYA-SJyPs

i Golf
21st December 2011, 10:39 PM
Rubin why did you take your golf link tab away?? did it lose you credibillity??

And what if I am Gold Coast Golfer?? I requested my ISG acc be closed just like a host of others have done and are doing right now, that site could be gold but its fkd because a small band of F wits. There 4-5 ppl on that site that should be banned. I saw a doazen or so new members leave the site in 4 weeks because of the regulars over there and many others that I have teed it up with that don't venture there often.

Now what part of any of the suggestions I gave re ball placement warranted the flak that flew my way?? it is probably the cause of the problems.

I may be a chopper of sorts at the moment, but I do have an idea of what I am talking about.

Golf is pretty straight forward when you break it down to basics, putting it into practice is a bit harder.

mike
21st December 2011, 10:47 PM
Collis, what's your handicap?

i Golf, what's your handicap?

virge666
21st December 2011, 10:55 PM
Golf is pretty straight forward when you break it down to basics, putting it into practice is a bit harder.

No... It isn't. In fact it is pretty bloody complex and stupidly hard.

i Golf
21st December 2011, 10:56 PM
I haven't got one at present as I haven't put in cards yet, and HCs can be a bit misleading, for example.

At Tweed Coolangatta, last round on the west course I shot 86 the plates were a bit forward though, that would put me off about 14ish, Played Colonial and shot 92 with 6 in the drink, however i went and had a hit at Lismore 3 weeks ago par 66 pretty easy course no water, little if any OOB very open fairways short par 3 IE PW or 9 iron at the most etc, shot 74 that would put me off 8 there.

That is why I say I want to break 75 on tough courses, because 75 on a tough course with lots of trouble is worth about even par on an easier course???

i Golf
21st December 2011, 11:33 PM
virge

what part of golf when broken down to basics is difficult??

the concept is easy, hit the ball down the middle, now hit it on the green and knock in 2 putts for par? that is pretty basic is you ask me?

However putting it in practice is more difficult.

However if you practice enough and have an a billity to understand what went wrong and what needs to change you can make it an easy game.

Why is it that you can tee it up on the first and knock it down the middle throw an 8 iron to 20 feet and walk off with an easy par? then on the next you hit it side ways?? That part I am still trying to get my head around, what makes the wheels fall off, I reckon it all boils down to practice if you don't practice you'll chop it all over the shop.

For example, I am not and never have been a morining person, I normally get up about 8am the joys of being self employed. Played Windaroo last week with a 7.45 tee off time, had to be up at 6am. Front up feeling like death and hack it for 6 holes, as had no practice didn't hit a ball chip a chip or putt a putt, and accordingly I hit it like a true hacker around the greens, probably 10 over after 6 holes, however come the back 9 I hit it longish and straitish enough to shoot a lowish back 9, however being a course I have never played I was hitting alot of second shots into greens I had no idea where they were.

Had I had known which roofor solar system to aim at or tree to aim for I might have hit a few more greens??

You know the diff between a 30 marker and an 8 marker?? practice, the high marker will hit 5 balls in the nest before tee off stroke a few putts and off he goes thats the extent of his practice. A single figure marker probably goes to the course after work, on the weekend and spends probably 10 hours + a week with a club in his hand on the practice range.

My motto has always been fail to prepare prepare to fail

mike
21st December 2011, 11:38 PM
Wow.

rubin
21st December 2011, 11:39 PM
hey virge - what do u play off now? ;)

mike
21st December 2011, 11:41 PM
Please log on Virge.

AndyP
21st December 2011, 11:42 PM
Using an 8 marker is a bad example.

Yossarian
21st December 2011, 11:45 PM
Does Mega ever practise?

rubin
21st December 2011, 11:47 PM
Does Mega ever practise?

what about JC? He certainly doesnt get to the course in time for a proper warm up.

simmsy
22nd December 2011, 01:24 AM
JC practices a bit though. Never warms up, except one time. It was the best warm up routine I've ever seen.
At KB JC late as always running to the tee from the carpark. Tells partners to hit off, he then loads up off the side and hits driver into bushland as his warm up then tees off. Classic JC.

No Mega never practices golf. Practices drinking quiet regularly though.

markTHEblake
22nd December 2011, 01:30 AM
I may be a chopper of sorts at the moment, but I do have an idiea of what I am talking about.We can tell what sort of tree it is from its fruit.

idgolfguy
22nd December 2011, 01:35 AM
I understand and agree with igolf to some extent, however, the method of getting here is what I am questioning.

I once played with a workmate who moved here to live and did not play golf anymore although he said he played a fair bit back home in Engpand. I invited him to a game at Vines for a 36 hole event. He borrowed a set of mine and hit 78 the first time round and 72 the next time round.

He hadn't touched a club in over 2 years. He said he was +2 when he stopped. Some people are just artists and you can't overly generalize.

Jono
22nd December 2011, 04:42 AM
To the original poster, it is likely that you flip. That causes you to bottom out before the ball and you'll hit thin or fat shots. You probably hit it OK on days you can make the necessary compensations with your body.

See a pro that uses video.

Faldo's preset drill is a good one as is the pump drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoCCYNf6_3o&feature=related

You can even combine the two drills.

Collis
22nd December 2011, 11:18 AM
Off 17 atm, on the way down. (was of 13 before i started getting lessons)
I only struggle when i play other courses as my home club isnt long.
Most drives i hit 235-250 (when they go straight) and only need a 7 in. but would like to hit long irons when playing over 380+ m holes and needing a longish iron in.

PeteyD
22nd December 2011, 11:24 AM
How about you take an iron off the tee at your home club instead of driver, to give you the situation you are looking for?

i Golf
22nd December 2011, 11:38 AM
Your used to your current course, you know now exactly what club to hit off the tee of every hole and you know what your hitting in to the greens on most holes, your comfortable with it.

Hence when you go to a course that your not overly familliar with or one that needs you to hit clubs your not familliar with problems occur. This is normal, playing unfamilliar courses is worth 6 shots IMO. Playing with unfamilliar clubs is on an unfamilliar course is worth 12 shots easily, especially if there is water about. If you got a 4 iron over water and your not confident with your 4 iron, guess whare that ball is most likely to end up?

Your off 17 your a decent golfer, you shouldn't be having these problems with long irons, yes they can be hard to hit, But I ask you this.

How much time on the range have you spent with the 3-6 irons??

My guess would be not much because as you've stated on your home course there is no need for them, so why practice with them?

Practice is the answer to your problems, or do as the woman on the LPGA tour do and throw them out and replace them with 5 and 7 woods.

If you want to become a solid single figure golfer you need to practice atleast an hour a week (minimun) with each club.

I'll typically go to the range and out of 100 balls I'll hit 6-7 balls with each club that I currently hit well, then Í'll hit the rest of the bucket with clubs that let me down, more practice with the bad clubs than with the good clubs. 5

Why not play a social round each week and leave the woods at home and only tee off with the long irons? that way you'll have to hit them and you got to hit them straight? You'll should get 2 5 irons on each of the par 4s or a 3 iron off the tee and a 6 iron in.

rubin
22nd December 2011, 11:45 AM
Off 17 atm, on the way down. (was of 13 before i started getting lessons)
I only struggle when i play other courses as my home club isnt long.
Most drives i hit 235-250 (when they go straight) and only need a 7 in. but would like to hit long irons when playing over 380+ m holes and needing a longish iron in.

Another suggestion mate, instead of getting anecdotal advice from blokes on a forum, check with your club and see if the pro can come out for 9/18 with you (I know a lot of Pro's over here will offer an "on course" service). That way, he can see the way you play, on a variety of different conditions/scenarios, and help you that way.

Whatever we are saying on here is (in all likeliness) not going to help much.

virge666
22nd December 2011, 03:42 PM
virge

what part of golf when broken down to basics is difficult??
the concept is easy, hit the ball down the middle, now hit it on the green and knock in 2 putts for par? that is pretty basic is you ask me?
However putting it in practice is more difficult.
However if you practice enough and have an abillity to understand what went wrong and what needs to change you can make it an easy game.

Sorry mate - you wont understand until your off a lower handicap. I have played off less than 6 since I was fifteen. if it was as you described . . . I would have been on tour by now. I also know a shitload about golf and golf equipment . . . and the more I learn the more I release just how difficult the game is.

The bit I have underlined is the assumption that you are not even in a ball park of understanding, and a lot of of the time - either do I, or anyone else up to the highest level. That bit is the grail.

Why is it that you can tee it up on the first and knock it down the middle throw an 8 iron to 20 feet and walk off with an easy par? then on the next you hit it side ways?? That part I am still trying to get my head around, what makes the wheels fall off, I reckon it all boils down to practice if you don't practice you'll chop it all over the shop.

It comes down to repetition and execution . . . and luck and conditions and weather and equipment and . . .

You know the diff between a 30 marker and an 8 marker?? practice, the high marker will hit 5 balls in the nest before tee off stroke a few putts and off he goes thats the extent of his practice. A single figure marker probably goes to the course after work, on the weekend and spends probably 10 hours + a week with a club in his hand on the practice range.

My motto has always been fail to prepare prepare to fail

I rest my case, I cant tell you how much the above is just an utter load of crap, usually spouted by a chopper on a Saturday afternoon.

The difference between me and you and most guys who stupidly believe that 15 is good handicap . . . is that us low markers have put the hard yards in. There is not one player here off low singles that has had to push themselves past the "hobby" golf stage. All of us have seeked the advice of better players, been to golf camps, read books, watched videos, made shitloads of mistakes and then regressed back to something we were doing 3 years ago and started again.

Golf is a motion that has to be repeated. We have learnt the true fundementals of the game and as such - our game doesn't leave us in the dire way yours does, as we don't rely on timing and practice. For us it is down to execution, not technique. For you, it is about knowledge of your golf swing and about the game itself.

I practice for an hour a week, on a thursday night with a few beers with mates down at Narrabeen. I play once every two weeks most of the year and still manage to hold a handicap of 4 or 5 without too much trouble.

Practice is only a very small part of it . . .

solarman
22nd December 2011, 03:51 PM
Had I had known which roofor solar system to aim at or tree to aim for I might have hit a few more greens?

Hi, I need some money so can you please start hitting these solar panels....what club do you play / practice at, as I better have some business cards ready to distribute to the neighbours down there.

i Golf
22nd December 2011, 08:01 PM
You know exactly what I mean when I say I am aiming at a house a roof a tree a power pole or what ever object is off the course but is the line to take.

Virge how much practice would you have done over time to get down to a low HC?? Probably thousands of hours over the years, you may not need to practice as much now as you've developed your swing?? how much time would a 20 marker have put in over the same time you've been playing?? couple of hundred maybe and still has a different swing with 2 shots of the same club.

I hit balls almost everyday of the week probably 3 hours a day at different times of the day at Coolangatta Tweed. I can rock up at anytime of the day and know that when I get there the practice fairway will be empty and this is on a very popular affordable course that would rate in the top 10 on The Gold Coast, hardly anyone practices, There are a handfull of regulars like 12 year old Becky Kay who plays off 5 she is there everyday like clock work she hits an incredible ball for a very petite girl, She'll be on the LPGA tour within 5 years. But I never see high markers on the range or fairway, I doubt whether many high markers would even own practice balls?? I probably only see 4 ppl at most ever playing bunker shots over a week, yet most ppl are crap out of the sand?? why no one practises it? You can watch videos read books attend seminars on bunker play, but what good is all that info if you never practice it?

How can you expect to improve if you don't practice. I've only been hiting balls for just over 4 months, and I can tell as soon as I address the ball if the grip is slightly wrong or the ball position is not correct, This can only come from hours of practice.

My main problem is I still have haven't got my swing repeating enough to hit it where I want it to go every shot, and with a wedge that is within 10 feet of the pin. I can put the right swing on the club 5 times out of 10 to hit that target but for me 5 from 10 doesn't cut it I want it to be 10 out of 10 swings being the same. Just need months and months of more practice.

I be interested in hearing honestly just how much practise the average golfer puts in who is playing off more than 15.

LarryLong
22nd December 2011, 08:31 PM
I rarely practice and I'm off 20.

On the bright side, I'm spared the embarrassment of practicing alongside a 12 year old girl who can kick my arse.

i Golf
22nd December 2011, 09:02 PM
When becky turns up I pack up and watch, It is very humbling to be out shot by a 12 year old girl. Deadset she hits a 8 iron as far as I hit a wedge and she hits it stone dead, its like it is on a string.

It is incredible to watch a very good golfer but when it is a 12yr old girl you can't help but to shake your head in disbelief and amazement. She'll go along way in this game.

timinsa
22nd December 2011, 10:51 PM
Sorry mate - you wont understand until your off a lower handicap. I have played off less than 6 since I was fifteen. if it was as you described . . . I would have been on tour by now. I also know a shitload about golf and golf equipment . . . and the more I learn the more I release just how difficult the game is.

The bit I have underlined is the assumption that you are not even in a ball park of understanding, and a lot of of the time - either do I, or anyone else up to the highest level. That bit is the grail.

It comes down to repetition and execution . . . and luck and conditions and weather and equipment and . . .

I rest my case, I cant tell you how much the above is just an utter load of crap, usually spouted by a chopper on a Saturday afternoon.

The difference between me and you and most guys who stupidly believe that 15 is good handicap . . . is that us low markers have put the hard yards in. There is not one player here off low singles that has had to push themselves past the "hobby" golf stage. All of us have seeked the advice of better players, been to golf camps, read books, watched videos, made shitloads of mistakes and then regressed back to something we were doing 3 years ago and started again.

Golf is a motion that has to be repeated. We have learnt the true fundementals of the game and as such - our game doesn't leave us in the dire way yours does, as we don't rely on timing and practice. For us it is down to execution, not technique. For you, it is about knowledge of your golf swing and about the game itself.

I practice for an hour a week, on a thursday night with a few beers with mates down at Narrabeen. I play once every two weeks most of the year and still manage to hold a handicap of 4 or 5 without too much trouble.

Practice is only a very small part of it . . .

Word. Late entry for POTY.

If you want to become a solid single figure golfer you need to practice atleast an hour a week (minimun) with each club.

Sorry dude. This is as correct as your spelling of the word minimum. I've never practiced even close to this much & I took up the game at 30. I'm 42 now & chop it around off 7. I love the game so much I bought a driving range a few years back (DON'T DO THIS) & in my travels I've learned enough to know I'm still sh!t at this game.

timinsa
22nd December 2011, 10:53 PM
WTF?

virge666
22nd December 2011, 11:01 PM
Virge how much practice would you have done over time to get down to a low HC?? Probably thousands of hours over the years, you may not need to practice as much now as you've developed your swing?? how much time would a 20 marker have put in over the same time you've been playing?? couple of hundred maybe and still has a different swing with 2 shots of the same club.

I have been playing for over 20 years . . . I am sure I have spent my time on the range and on the course. But that is not the point.

How can you expect to improve if you don't practice. I've only been hiting balls for just over 4 months, and I can tell as soon as I address the ball if the grip is slightly wrong or the ball position is not correct, This can only come from hours of practice.

It is not about "not practicing" - it is about knowing what to practice and someone to bounce ideas off. In fact - you are not practicing, your are searching for a swing...

If you were practicing for 3 hours a day - then you would be a lot better than a handicap of 18. Also if you were as you say playing off 6 at one time in your life - you got this through repetition and timing and not technique.

Quite simply - you need a coach, and I mean a proper coach that you see once a fortnight for half and hour to work on ideas with. You can then space this out to once a month and then once every 3 months for a checkup once you get your fundementals down. You cannot and I repeat cannot do it by yourself... trust me - been there and tried and even today, I still need the input of others to point me in the right direction. Jono's comments in my swing thread is a perfect example and that is paying dividends.

Your 12 year old did not do it by herself, and this is why she is so good. Someone has helped her get a technique and she is not trying to find one.

My main problem is I still have haven't got my swing repeating enough to hit it where I want it to go every shot, and with a wedge that is within 10 feet of the pin. I can put the right swing on the club 5 times out of 10 to hit that target but for me 5 from 10 doesn't cut it I want it to be 10 out of 10 swings being the same. Just need months and months of more practice.

Either do I and again your ideals are screwed. As Bob Rotella says - Golf is not a game of perfect. You may wish to go along the whole inspiration "Be your best" and all that - but again, it is the wrong mindset for golf. Golf is about "not hitting bad shots" - not about "hitting good ones." (Arnold Palmer said that one...)

I be interested in hearing honestly just how much practise the average golfer puts in who is playing off more than 15.

Bugger all I expect - that is why they are off 15 or worse...

markTHEblake
22nd December 2011, 11:39 PM
Your off 17 your a decent golfer, you shouldn't be having these problems with long irons...

This gem is worth framing.

BroKar
23rd December 2011, 12:57 AM
igolf you need to get a real handicap, you say your off 18 but your lack of understanding is of someone alot higher, practising bad habits will not make you a better golfer, what area of your game are you working on at the moment? i ask this as so many of your posts revolve around hitting every club and then hitting problem clubs.

I dont have a single problem club in my bag, my problem is executing the type of shot i may need with that club, i think you should start taking the advice of some of the smarter ones on here and ISG and you will improve dramatically.

The post that blakey has quoted is a classic example of not understanding what playing off 16-17 actually is, what clubs should a 17 marker have an issue with if it isnt there long irons?

3oneday
23rd December 2011, 08:00 AM
Most peoples handicap is their brain.

Jarro
23rd December 2011, 08:14 AM
Most peoples handicap is their brain.

yep .... let's me down all the time :roll:

Collis
23rd December 2011, 09:57 AM
If i could Drive, play good approach shots, chip & putt i think i would be a better golfer lol.:razz:

virge666
23rd December 2011, 12:52 PM
This gem is worth framing.

Absolutley - you can't average a Par on any but the easiest hole on the course, but hey you should be able to flush the hardest clubs in the bag . . .

I don't think much thought went into that statement . . .

Shadesy
23rd December 2011, 02:13 PM
Hey Virge

That Faldo Pre Set Drill is the bomb... Was hitting balls dead Centre everytime.

Which brings me to a question I have been debating. What is the purpose of a Backswing? Is it more power through Transition. I know it sounds like a funny question, but I come from a Cricket background, and its very Common to see batsmen with their bat in the air ready to strike. Granted, Split second decisions are being made and the ball is moving thus another power source, but I have been practicing lately with a pause at the top of my swing, or even starting from the Top Position.

I guess I am losing minimal distance as I am flushing it more often from that position, but whats the main purpose of the takeaway/Backswing. It seems like there is an extra element to go wrong.

Im guessing power transition thing?

Johnny Canuck
23rd December 2011, 04:51 PM
JC practices a bit though. Never warms up, except one time. It was the best warm up routine I've ever seen. At KB JC late as always running to the tee from the carpark. Tells partners to hit off, he then loads up off the side and hits driver into bushland as his warm up then tees off. Classic JC. No Mega never practices golf. Practices drinking quiet regularly though.Glad I popped in here.Simmsy saw the abbreviated warm up. I have an extended one where I hit 4 balls off he the back of the praccy green, over the ninth and on to the range at KB. It is just out of view of the pro shop. I have never been a practicer. I golf because I enjoy it. If I worked at it, I would have higher expectations and lose enjoyment. Also, with two kids, I don't have time.I only go to the range to loosen up for pennants, or if I have a new driver to bash. I never go to work on things.If I get any spare time, I will chip and putt, which I enjoy. This past weekend I putt like Yoss, so I skipped drinks with my playing partners, grabbed a beer and hit putts for 15.I sneak in the odd 9 holes, which I count as practice. I do need to arrive at the course earlier as I always seem to wipe the first. I am working on this part of my game.

rubin
23rd December 2011, 04:56 PM
Hey Virge

That Faldo Pre Set Drill is the bomb... Was hitting balls dead Centre everytime.

Which brings me to a question I have been debating. What is the purpose of a Backswing? Is it more power through Transition. I know it sounds like a funny question, but I come from a Cricket background, and its very Common to see batsmen with their bat in the air ready to strike. Granted, Split second decisions are being made and the ball is moving thus another power source, but I have been practicing lately with a pause at the top of my swing, or even starting from the Top Position.

I guess I am losing minimal distance as I am flushing it more often from that position, but whats the main purpose of the takeaway/Backswing. It seems like there is an extra element to go wrong.

Im guessing power transition thing?

I would think that its the seeing the visual aspect. starting the club at the place you would like it to end up and all that sort of thing. I would guess the pausing would help, as it would stop you from starting the downswing before finishing the back swing. Not sure about starying from the top though, i don't think I could get my head around it.

Lobsta
23rd December 2011, 08:22 PM
Do it for an entire round just to mess with your playing partners' heads!

Yossarian
23rd December 2011, 08:26 PM
Glad I popped in here.Simmsy saw the abbreviated warm up. I have an extended one where I hit 4 balls off he the back of the praccy green, over the ninth and on to the range at KB. It is just out of view of the pro shop. I have never been a practicer. I golf because I enjoy it. If I worked at it, I would have higher expectations and lose enjoyment. Also, with two kids, I don't have time.I only go to the range to loosen up for pennants, or if I have a new driver to bash. I never go to work on things.If I get any spare time, I will chip and putt, which I enjoy. This past weekend I putt like Yoss, so I skipped drinks with my playing partners, grabbed a beer and hit putts for 15.I sneak in the odd 9 holes, which I count as practice. I do need to arrive at the course earlier as I always seem to wipe the first. I am working on this part of my game.

I putt good.

idgolfguy
23rd December 2011, 11:02 PM
That he did - he also takes all the money.

Yossarian
23rd December 2011, 11:23 PM
Mmm internet money! My loooooooooooooooooooooooong driving threw you all.

rubin
24th December 2011, 12:05 AM
Mmm internet money! My loooooooooooooooooooooooong driving threw you all.

It's not fair to have an LD comp with simmsy yoss. Shame on u.

Yossarian
24th December 2011, 12:06 AM
He out drove me a few times. I am not that long.

simmsy
24th December 2011, 12:14 AM
I did indeed. Had the best score too. But no money for me. :(

rubin
24th December 2011, 12:16 AM
I was only mucking around. You and simmsy should play a round at rocko, you'll feel like your hitting bombs against alot of the blokes there.

Yossarian
24th December 2011, 12:22 AM
I did indeed. Had the best score too. But no money for me. :(

My 320 drive saw to that.

simmsy
24th December 2011, 12:23 AM
Played it once, no desire to go back anytime soon.

Jarro
24th December 2011, 11:14 AM
That Faldo drill looks pretty good.

I might try that as my new years resolution

markTHEblake
24th December 2011, 12:10 PM
I know this fella who only plays about 5 times a year, has a handicap of two, and always plays to it.

He has a very slow and painful to watch pre shot routine that never changes. I beleive that is the key to his consistency despite the fact that I dont think his swing is technically sound. So that Faldo routine might just be what us choppers need to bring our practice fairway game to the golf course.

johnny b goode
2nd January 2012, 11:58 AM
i started struggling big time with my irons after tweaking with my swing that made BIG improvements off the tee...went abck to the pro and he said simple...swing is too shallow, fine for driver, no good for irons. Now have a few drills to alter my setup that promotes a steeper attack on the ball...Now back on the improve...My advice go to a pro first as it could be any number of things wrong, check the BASICS ..grip, posture, alignment , ball position and go from there..GOOD luck