PDA

View Full Version : Flatwater Kayak Racing

Grunt
19th December 2011, 09:10 AM
Hi Everyone

As you may or may not know I caught the Flatwater Kayaking bug as a result of getting my Fishing Kayak. I went and tried the Hawkesbury Classic and now I am going to have a go at Sprint racing. I went out and bought a K1 last weekend and had my first paddle in it yesterday. Was tough.

I have also started a blog about all my paddling
Grant's Paddles (http://grantspaddles.blogspot.com/)

Plan is to be good enough in the K1 to enter the PaddleNSW Sprint titles at Penrith in January. We shall see how it goes.

AndyP
19th December 2011, 09:20 AM
What do you have to do to get into the Sprint titles, Grunt?

Grunt
19th December 2011, 09:22 AM
Turn up, only thing is it looks bad when they are waiting for the next heat to start while you swim to the shore. I think I will only go if I can confidently go as hard as I can and not have to stop my stoke to regain balance. Going to take a fair bit of training to get that far.

LarryLong
19th December 2011, 09:52 AM
I've fallen out of a K1 a few times myself - those things are pretty hard to stay up in, and I don't think I'd back myself to sprint in one on a windy day. Good luck with getting yourself up for the sprints in January, that would be an impressive effort. At least you're practicing in the warm weather. :)

Nice looking boat too. Another member of the purple boat club here.

matty
19th December 2011, 03:43 PM
Hats off Grunt. They're hard stay upright in. But with practice you'll be laughing in a few months. I'd love to give this a go but just wouldn't be able to fit it in timewise.

Grunt
14th February 2012, 09:20 PM
Racing has now moved onto the PaddleNSW Marathon series with the first Race in Canberra in 2 weeks. Got out of the K1 into my long rec kayak last Sunday and it was like paddling in a lounge. I have a 5km race this Sunday and then the 20km marathon race on the following Saturday. Training is getting pretty intense and not sure if it was smart or not but I have also entered http://www.toughblokechallenge.com.au/index.html in June. My Personal trainer has convinced me and now she is pushing me hard to be ready for it.

Grunt
6th April 2012, 08:01 AM
Another big weekend of paddling for me, this time the Australian Canoeing Marathon National Championships.

Sorry to Jimandr, TS & Jono for the late pullout from golf today, thought I had done all the registration but have to go to the venue today for the briefing and registration.

I have entered the Veteran 40-45 Long Rec Class and am hoping for another PB tomorrow. Not 100% sure of my race distance tomorrow as the olympic classes do 21.5km for all ages but my entry has me down for 16.5km. I have been training for the 21.5 so the 5km cut off wont hurt. I have been putting in the hard work both on the water and in the gym. My PT has even sort of turned me into a runner, I have gone from hating the treadmill to doing regular 30 min 6km sessions and she even took me on a 4km run the other day in one of our regular sessions.

Another test will be the GoPro Hero 2 filming the paddle, looking back at me from the bow, could be interesting. Got race cam :)

oncewasagolfer
6th April 2012, 12:43 PM
Another big weekend of paddling for me, this time the Australian Canoeing Marathon National Championships. Sorry to Jimandr, TS & Jono for the late pullout from golf today, thought I had done all the registration but have to go to the venue today for the briefing and registration.I have entered the Veteran 40-45 Long Rec Class and am hoping for another PB tomorrow. Not 100% sure of my race distance tomorrow as the olympic classes do 21.5km for all ages but my entry has me down for 16.5km. I have been training for the 21.5 so the 5km cut off wont hurt. I have been putting in the hard work both on the water and in the gym. My PT has even sort of turned me into a runner, I have gone from hating the treadmill to doing regular 30 min 6km sessions and she even took me on a 4km run the other day in one of our regular sessions. Another test will be the GoPro Hero 2 filming the paddle, looking back at me from the bow, could be interesting. Got race cam :)That would be cool wouldn't mind one for mountain biking. Good luck for the race!

Grunt
6th July 2012, 06:03 PM
More kayaking tomorrow. PaddleNSW State Marathon Titles, back out to Penrith. 24km in my recently purchased Ocean Racing ski.

Just on $4K for it and is a pure speed machine.