PDA

View Full Version : Speed Golf

TheTrueReview
11th December 2011, 07:53 AM
There have been plenty of threads about slow play. Apparently, the guy in this clip is the world champion speed golfer.

Does anyone find playing with ridiculously quick golfers just as annoying as playing with a slow golfer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eBLxNUMsI7E

Jarro
11th December 2011, 08:26 AM
I hate playing with quick golfers...

... that's why I like playing with AndyP

Dotty
11th December 2011, 08:54 AM
That bloke would annoy me. He wasted 30 seconds before he hit his ball.

I'm all in favour of playing at the same tempo as one drives a car.

Webster
11th December 2011, 09:30 AM
There is no running in golf.

Lagerlover
11th December 2011, 09:53 AM
Wow, of course you can play that quick when you don't pick up your tees or use headcovers!

virge666
11th December 2011, 10:28 AM
Don't see the point. It is like going to the pub and drinking 6 schooners in half an hour and going home.

Where is the joy ?

AndyP
11th December 2011, 10:29 AM
I found my that my game deteriorates when I run around the course, such that I didn't enjoy the running or the golf, so there was no point.

Golfnut
11th December 2011, 01:52 PM
Played 18 with a mate a couple of years back, got through the front 9 and decided to play on despite fading light so we ended up running the back 9 and taking our shots quickly....was actually good fun and I don't think I would've gone any better or worse if we weren't running, only problem was you didn't really get a chance to enjoy the good shots. Flip side is you had no time to ponder the crap shots.

IanO
14th December 2011, 02:50 PM
I used to play a game called the Chook Run in Wodonga back in the early 80's. It was played on a Wednesday evening during Daylight Savings only. You could take a maximum of 7 clubs and you played 9 holes as fast as you could but had to finish in less than 1 hour. The final result was a measure of your score and how long it took you to get around. As I was young and fit then I used to run it. I remember it being a lot of fun but not good golf.

Ona
14th December 2011, 10:08 PM
On the flipside, playing last Sunday we took 5hrs for eighteen with not a soul in front of or behind us all day. It didn't feel that slow. Adding up my score at the end i did better than expected and I put that down to not being able to get on a role, either good or bad. Maybe being slow, stupid slow even like the pro's, helps you to play each shot in some sort of mental isolation.

I find it most annoying when a golfer attempts to play to a speed that makes no sense given their situation. Like the dick who's at the back end of a packed field and wants to hit up on everyone (where are you going hero?)

AndyP
15th October 2013, 10:21 PM
I ran around the golf course yesterday arvo playing 14 holes in 80 minutes for 6 over par. I had trouble finding the ball a few times, especially after hitting into the sun. I also ran with a full set on my back and golf shoes.

I'm thinking of doing it on a regular basis to squeeze in 18 after work. I will put less clubs into another bag that is easy to carry and wear my runners. A speed golf score is calculated by adding the golf score to the time taken, so I will use that.

Has anyone else been running between golf shots? I know Westy does it a bit.

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2013, 10:26 PM
I ran around the golf course yesterday arvo playing 14 holes in 80 minutes for 6 over par. I had trouble finding the ball a few times, especially after hitting into the sun. I also ran with a full set on my back and golf shoes.

I'm thinking of doing it on a regular basis to squeeze in 18 after work. I will put less clubs into another bag that is easy to carry and wear my runners. A speed golf score is calculated by adding the golf score to the time taken, so I will use that.

I used to do this at Kennedy Bat, but preferred doing it with a push buggy.

BrisWesty
15th October 2013, 10:35 PM
Push buggy is much easier for me than a carry bag. My shoulders would cramp up doing that.
It's also much better to push the buggy than pull it along behind you. That'll do all sorts of bad stuff to your back too.

90 -100 minutes is fine for 18 holes. It's about 10km (including looking for balls).

damoocow
15th October 2013, 10:36 PM

I do it when magpies are swooping

AndyP
15th October 2013, 10:39 PM
The last couple of times, I haven't really gone out with the intention of running lots, so didn't prepare for it. I've played pretty well regardless though, so I'll try the push buggy and carrying like the guy in the header post YouTube clip (if it is the one that I think it is).

Mububban
16th October 2013, 11:19 AM
I jogged 9 holes recently to avoid some oncoming rain, without playing true Speed Golf I think I got around in 9 in an hour and shot a couple less than my average for that 9 as well. Two guys who started behind me in a cart ended up 1.5 holes behind me by the finish :) I would job after hitting, then walk the last 20m to the ball to calm down a bit. Good fun.

3oneday
16th October 2013, 12:30 PM
I assume there is no one else on the golf course when you are doing this.

AndyP
16th October 2013, 01:25 PM
Very few. I started at 4:20pm on Monday, which is a very quiet time on the course. My course also has several spots where there are multiple tees close by, where I can head off in different directions based on the traffic in front of me, so if there is someone on 3 as I'm finishing 2, I can play 6 or 9 instead.

Mububban
16th October 2013, 02:24 PM
I assume there is no one else on the golf course when you are doing this.

I lucked into a clear run in front of myself when I had my jogging session :) I think the impending rain kept everyone away

Waddzy
16th October 2013, 02:28 PM
I played 27 holes in 3 hours using the marshall cart in a 2 ball last sunday before the Grand final.. clean run no one on the course. pretty easy to do in a cart that quick but. Shot PB scores too.

AndyP
22nd October 2013, 10:25 PM
I gave this a go this afternoon after work.

I put some clubs (Dr, 2H, 4I, 6I, 8I, PW, 50º & PT), my rangefinder, a few balls and some tees into a carry bag and took the shoulder straps off to make it easier to carry. I wore my runners this time too. The going was tough early with both the running (hillier part of the course) and my golf struggling. I was 4 over through 3 holes and in the kack after a couple of bad shots on the 4th. The speed golf experiment was looking shortlived at that stage.

Things got better though. I didn't play that well, but I generally kept it in play and had a good stretch through the middle of the round. Surprisingly, the driver performed well. The part of the game that struggled was the chipping or anything else that was a little tricky or needed finesse. It was too hard to think those things through. A good part of it was that you never had time to focus on a bad shot, you just chase after the ball and hit the next one.

As for the speed, I got held up a couple of times by other players, and one guy wasn't overly impressed with me asking to play through him ("What's the hurry?" he says after his 8th shot on a par 4). You really do come up on other people quickly when you are running the course. If the greens were in better nick, I would consider spending a little more time studying the line, since a minute in time is the same as one stroke in your score.

I ran the course, which is par 67 ACR 65 4885m course, in 82 minutes 10 seconds. I ran 7.65k overall.
I scored a 12 over, 79.
Which means my score is 82:10 + 79 = 161:10.

Here's my garmin mapping from the run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/393959466

The World Championships are on this weekend, but I think I might be a little late for that (and a little lacking in talent). Here's the official speed golf website.
http://speedgolfinternational.com/
I haven't seen anything about it in Australia though.

AndyP
22nd October 2013, 10:36 PM
Here's two good clips for it. I had seen the second one before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGz-uzGaJgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ43miMu0lw

Mububban
23rd October 2013, 12:32 PM
I played 27 holes in 3 hours using the marshall cart in a 2 ball last sunday before the Grand final.. clean run no one on the course. pretty easy to do in a cart that quick but. Shot PB scores too.

I'm definitely booking a round next grand final day, I popped out to my usually packed local course to find about 8 cars in the carpark, and of those, 5 guys were on the driving range. Should be able to play 18 in the time it takes to play 9!

Ferrins
23rd October 2013, 01:36 PM
Just play tennis instead. I'll make you run 7 klm's in one hour no probs, Andy.

AndyP
23rd October 2013, 02:08 PM
I plan on running 15k within one hour on Sunday. This is just a way of getting an extra run in while still practicing my golf.

AndyP
29th October 2013, 10:14 PM
Despite the rain this afternoon, I had another speed golf round.

I left the rangefinder out this time, and definitely tried to make things faster. It was easy to go fast without anyone else on the course, but it was hard work. I'm feeling quite tired now and that's saying something considering my running fitness.
The low score is surprising considering my hands and the grips were fairly wet. I hit the driver extremely well, and did enough everywhere else.

Last time it took me 82:10, this time I ran it in 63:30.
I also scored a ridiculously low 74 (http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20131029-p125.html), 5 lower than last time.
Speed golf score of 63:30 + 74 = 137:30 (down from 161:10)

This is going to be a really hard score for me to beat. I can't score too much lower than that on the golf side, and that's a decent time to run it in too.

On day 1 of the World Champs, the leader ran the course in 39:31 with a score of 77. Bloody hell! That was 5 minutes faster than any other player, but only 3 shots off the best golf score of 74.

BrisWesty
29th October 2013, 11:48 PM
Saturday played 18 holes in 1:33 (10.26km) and had 86 shots, so that would be 179. I think Mapmyrun must be inaccurate!

idgolfguy
30th October 2013, 01:08 AM
SMS and I played the back 9 of my home course (Lakes 10) - tee'd off at 6.13 - and we finished at 7.43. It wasn't a rushed walk - pretty much played golf and chatted.

My Sunday morning 18 with a couple of mates usually starts at 6:02 and we're sitting in the Cafe by 9:10 eating breakfast after the 18.

goughy
30th October 2013, 07:56 AM
It'd be fun to try some time. I think you're on the money with leaving the rangefinder at home. Do you think it affects you in a good or bad way, not taking much prep time or not putting too much thought into each shot?

AndyP
30th October 2013, 08:50 AM
It'd be fun to try some time. I think you're on the money with leaving the rangefinder at home. Do you think it affects you in a good or bad way, not taking much prep time or not putting too much thought into each shot?Initially, I was trying to stick with routines that I use when I normally play golf, because I did't want to get into any bad habits, which is why I had the rangefinder the first time around.

Do you mean the overall affect of speed golf on my game? If so, I can't see it being a bad thing. You don't dwell on bad shots, you just run and hit the next one. And if it's a good shot, you don't even need to watch it, you are off and running before it lands. The tricky part is the lack of clubs, but once again that should be good for my game overall. Finesse shots seem to suffer the most; they do need a bit more thought sometimes, and they are hard to execute with heavy breathing and the heart pumping. Putting hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be either.

Playing like this the last couple of weeks has really drilled in, that it is all about getting that ball on or close to the green in regulation and getting par or bogey. A lot of the approaches I've hit haven't been that good, but have been good enough to allow me to score well.

mrbluu
30th October 2013, 09:32 AM
Initially, I was trying to stick with routines that I use when I normally play golf, because I did't want to get into any bad habits, which is why I had the rangefinder the first time around.

Do you mean the overall affect of speed golf on my game? If so, I can't see it being a bad thing. You don't dwell on bad shots, you just run and hit the next one. And if it's a good shot, you don't even need to watch it, you are off and running before it lands. The tricky part is the lack of clubs, but once again that should be good for my game overall. Finesse shots seem to suffer the most; they do need a bit more thought sometimes, and they are hard to execute with heavy breathing and the heart pumping. Putting hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be either.

Playing like this the last couple of weeks has really drilled in, that it is all about getting that ball on or close to the green in regulation and getting par or bogey. A lot of the approaches I've hit haven't been that good, but have been good enough to allow me to score well.

You should get one of your running mates to run after you with a camera to film it.....should be interesting!!

AndyP
30th October 2013, 09:45 AM
You should get one of your running mates to run after you with a camera to film it.....should be interesting!!This guy is better and faster.

mrbluu
30th October 2013, 09:57 AM
This guy is better and faster.

But he has bad etiquette, didn't even fix any pitch marks or put sand in his divots!!!

AndyP
30th October 2013, 10:43 AM
But he has bad etiquette, didn't even fix any pitch marks or put sand in his divots!!!He did rake the bunker though (it's a two shot penalty if you don't).

madboarder
10th November 2013, 08:14 AM
Golf played with 3 clubs should take approximately two hours is the only way to play. Must admit the longer the round takes the more I hate it. Find playing with slow players thate the most annoying.

AndyP
10th November 2013, 11:22 AM
What three clubs would they be? That might be fine for a novelty event, but not for a normal round.

goughy
10th November 2013, 09:17 PM
Toowoomba golf club years ago used to have a comp that was 5 wood, 5i and putter.

Mububban
11th November 2013, 11:12 AM
Toowoomba golf club years ago used to have a comp that was 5 wood, 5i and putter.

How did scoring go compared to normal?

goughy
11th November 2013, 11:17 AM
Wouldn't have a clue. Was a junior in those days and never played it. But I specifically remember that they had it.

Shadesy
11th November 2013, 11:55 AM
Our club had a 3 club challenge last week. Rumour has it the club champ shot 69... Gross.

Andy how much time would you take on you putts? Do You have a quick look at the line? Enough to recover from the run, I would like to keep it continuous more as a fitness than golf
Thing?

AndyP
11th November 2013, 12:03 PM
Our club had a 3 club challenge last week. Rumour has it the club champ shot 69... Gross.

Andy how much time would you take on you putts? Do You have a quick look at the line? Enough to recover from the run, I would like to keep it continuous more as a fitness than golf
Thing?
In the last round, I really cut down on the line studying. How often do we really sink the long ones anyway? Get the first one close enough, then knock in the second. If it's iffy, I might have a look because each shot is worth a minute on the score.

Putting gave only a short reprieve from the running, so I would setup take a couple of deep breathes and putt.

AndyP
12th November 2013, 10:00 PM
Round 3 of speed golf. I dropped out the PW for this week, leaving me with 7 clubs. That's still too many, but I don't want to drop any more either.

I ran it a bit faster this time, although I had to go around another player and come back to the hole, which would have cost several minutes. 61:43 was the final time, but I was easily on track for under an hour until the last few holes.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/403267086

Technically I was DQ with the golf score, because I only carry 3 balls, and I had lost two before putting one just OOB on my last hole. I played it from there just for the score and added a shot. The golf struggled a bit more today, but there was still a good stretch in there, where I shaved the hole for birdie three times in a row; maybe I should have spent some more time on a few of them. I had an 80 (+13) in the end.
http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20131112-p128.html

Final score of 61:43 + 80 = 141:43 (PB 137:30)

Waddzy
27th November 2013, 10:30 AM
Do you see any benefit to your golf in this Andy? My new job has me starting 2-3 hours later in the mornings and have been thinking its a good time to start trying to run in the mornings for fitness purposes.. And also started thinking I may be able to fit in 9 holes of golf before work now too. But the way your doing it combining the 2 sounds great, plus if I am first off in the morning I will get a clear run, I don't see myself being able to complete 18 in the time I will have but 9 is looking good.

AndyP
27th November 2013, 10:34 AM
It certainly hasn't hurt my game. Two benefits are that it gets you into a "just do" frame of mind instead of over thinking a shot, and since you carry less clubs, you learn to be a bit more creative with what you have.

Waddzy
27th November 2013, 10:59 AM
I might give it a test run this weekend to see how long 9 holes would take me .. Im guessing 1 hour per 9 should do for even my lack of fitness levels so I can give it a crack when I start my new job!

Daves
27th November 2013, 11:05 AM
I might give it a test run this weekend to see how long 9 holes would take me .. Im guessing 1 hour per 9 should do for even my lack of fitness levels so I can give it a crack when I start my new job!

If you can get a clear run at it, an hour is doable for nine in good conditions at a brisk walk. I can do 2 & 1/2 hour 18s at a stroll very easily if I get no traffic holding me up.

Mububban
27th November 2013, 04:13 PM
I did 9 holes on my own in an hour with a combo of light jogging and brisk walking

Waddzy
27th November 2013, 04:38 PM
I'm already excited about my new starting time...

AndyP
27th November 2013, 09:15 PM
I scored a new PB this afternoon with 131:10, which is about 6 better than my previous best. I finished the round in under an hour for the first time (57m10s) and scored a 7 over, 74 (http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20131127-p132.html). I probably should have scored less missing a few close putts later in the round, but I also got lucky a few times. I found the two bunkers that I got in, particularly tough, because I don't carry my usual bunker wedge and it was hard to compose myself for the shot. 50% of greens is a good effort though.

WBennett
27th November 2013, 09:55 PM
What is the course record for speed golf at rmw?

AndyP
27th November 2013, 10:23 PM
What is the course record for speed golf at rmw?
I'm sure that it can be beaten.

Mububban
11th December 2013, 03:01 PM
Woke up at 5:30am so decided to hit the golf course before work. Did my usual quasi-speed golf thing of light jogging when I'm alone on course, pulling my 2 wheel buggy, managed 9 holes in 70 minutes (had to wait a bit on the final hole) which included looking for (and losing) 2 balls. Shot 48 which for me, on that 9, is right on average. I can't say rushing between shots made any difference to the actual shots. I just had a case of the lefts today.

AndyP
11th March 2014, 09:26 PM
I skipped doing this over summer, because it was generally too hot. I thought I should start doing it again, as the weekend rounds dry up.

Today's score was 63:12 + 77 (10 over) = 140:12 (PB 131:10)

I didn't push very hard with the running today, so that's a good score. The interesting thing about the golf score is that I had 4 double bogeys in that 10 over. When you are running and start going bad on a hole, you can make a real mess of it. I'm down to 6 clubs now too, but I can't see how I could drop anymore; Dr, 2H, 6I, 8I, 50º, Pt.

Ferrins
30th September 2015, 04:52 PM
108 is the new benchmark.

AndyP
30th September 2015, 06:49 PM
For nine holes?

Ferrins
30th September 2015, 06:50 PM
New WR for 18.

Dotty
30th September 2015, 10:46 PM
New WR for 18.
North Korean president?

wazandnic
30th September 2015, 11:08 PM
For nine holes?

Nope 18. Was on Bogles golf show last night. 31mins to run 18, and +7 (77) score = 108

He actually caught up to a guy in front also which slowed him down as he 3 putted that hole. Bloody amazing!

oncewasagolfer
30th September 2015, 11:14 PM
Nope 18. Was on Bogles golf show last night. 31mins to run 18, and +7 (77) score = 108

He actually caught up to a guy in front also which slowed him down as he 3 putted that hole. Bloody amazing!
That's a fair effort👍 A bloke at our club was bragging to me a while ago that he can get around the course in 90 minutes in his cart. All I could think was what's the point in doing that.

oldracer
1st October 2015, 12:02 AM
Any of these racey types carry sand buckets??.?.? Had a dick head have a go at me not long ago for hitting multiple balls to a green, greens rooted, told al ok by ground super and then a further instance this moron is hitting multiple balls with one iron walking and no sand bucket, asked him WTF to get told he's a pro and doesn't take divots, needless to say our resultant exchange was quite heated and very comical

Hatchman
1st October 2015, 12:08 AM
You tell him he's only a make believe Pro. If he was a real one he'd be overseas playing on a tour some where.

oldracer
1st October 2015, 12:19 AM
You tell him he's only a make believe Pro. If he was a real one he'd be overseas playing on a tour some where.yep he is a tool hatch, told him he doesn't take divots cause he tops everything!!!! Added fuel to the discussion haha

Jazz18
1st October 2015, 12:34 AM
yep he is a tool hatch, told him he doesn't take divots cause he tops everything!!!! Added fuel to the discussion haha

That's awesome, would have loved to have seen that exchange.

Hidepenny
1st October 2015, 06:27 AM
Where and when do you guys do this at? I've always liked the idea but I don't think any course can ever be that empty for a round.

Ferrins
1st October 2015, 06:42 AM
Watched it last night and guys repaired no divots or pitch marks and didn't rake bunkers so it is flawed due to basic breaches of course ettitue. Plus they play through each other without being called up which is dangerous.
When I was a kid I used to chase a goanna with a stick and if I made a sport out of that it would only piss off the goanna which would turn around and bite me on rhe arse.

AndyP
1st October 2015, 07:52 AM
They have to rake bunkers or it is a 2 shot penalty.

AndyP
1st October 2015, 07:53 AM
Where and when do you guys do this at? I've always liked the idea but I don't think any course can ever be that empty for a round.
When I did it, it was generally late Monday afternoons at my home course.

oldracer
1st October 2015, 10:23 AM
So sand buckets not required for speed golfers?

wazandnic
1st October 2015, 10:53 AM
The one on the golfshow was a day/tournament set up for it. I imagine there would be volunteers around doing the clean up. Pretty sure if you headed out to your local you should do the clean up yourself obviously.

I remember teeing off at sparrows one day at my local with a good mate, in a cart. We both shot the lights out and despite not rushing it only took us just over 2 hrs. Wish I could do that more regularly.... sure beats the normal 5 hour weekend rounds!

AndyP
3rd February 2023, 08:26 AM
I ran around 9 holes of my course yesterday in 48 minutes for 5 over. I hit one ball into the trees, and since a couple of guys had let me through, I didn't bother looking hard for it, and took the two shot penalty drop in the fairway. It was pretty good besides that.

It may have not been the smartest thing to do in the afternoon considering the current heat wave, but it allowed me to get a practice session in. I am struggling to fit in running, gym, and golf, so I'll see if I can get the motivation to set the alarm super early to do this before work once a week or fortnight, so I can combine a couple of those things.