PDA

View Full Version : The "Ask a Clubmaker" Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

rubin
8th December 2011, 04:25 PM
seems recently there have been heaps of "clubmaker help-me" threads, for various things. Thought it may be best to just have the one, and then all the answers are in the one spot.

I have one very basic question that I know that has been answered before, but i cant seem to find it again:

I'm looking to increase the SW of my irons. Currently at about D0, but I want them up to about D2/D3.
Is it for every 4g of weight added to the club head, it will add about 1 point of SW approx.? I will get them checked again to make sure, but I don't really want to waste 3 or 4 hours of Tourfits time when i can add the weight on myself to get them close too and then have them checked.

timah!
8th December 2011, 05:36 PM
Pretty sure it's 3gms...

Daves
8th December 2011, 06:34 PM
This is a pretty comprehensive article;

http://advancedballstriking.com/Swing_weights.pdf

hardboiled
8th December 2011, 06:43 PM
This post is quite helpful...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/44071-swing-weight-factors-in-relation-to-parts/

TheNuclearOne
8th December 2011, 06:56 PM
2 grams in ze head = 1 sw.

rubin
8th December 2011, 07:04 PM
schweeet! So i need about 6g per head roughly.

TheNuclearOne
8th December 2011, 07:09 PM
Well 6 will = D3 if your measurements are accurate. The shaft will soften slightly too.

haysey
8th December 2011, 09:08 PM
Why can't I put grips on straight?

Tomson
8th December 2011, 09:10 PM
Are you cockeyed as well?

timah!
8th December 2011, 09:11 PM

Because you subconsciously know it'll mess with your alignment at setup.
;)

popper81
8th December 2011, 10:15 PM

I am the same with rubbers... :) :)

virge666
8th December 2011, 10:36 PM
With a standard shaft. One inch = 6 SW points.

This is all changing though. Nunchuk, Modus, DG Spinners... None of this is true with these kinds of shafts.

Also don't SW your driver or woods/hybrids . Fit it with impact tape... Much more accurate.

Progolfgear
9th December 2011, 09:22 AM
If your clubs already have an overall heavy weight, I would be looking at lighter grips to increase the swingweight.

PeteyD
9th December 2011, 09:56 AM
With a standard shaft. One inch = 6 SW points.

This is all changing though. Nunchuk, Modus, DG Spinners... None of this is true with these kinds of shafts.

Also don't SW your driver or woods/hybrids . Fit it with impact tape... Much more accurate.

How do you do that?

3oneday
9th December 2011, 10:11 AM
Should I try these spinner wedge shafts ? Or should this be in the Ask Jack thread ?

;)

Tomson
9th December 2011, 10:26 AM
Do you want one to try pete?? I think I have a couple new if you want to try.

BrisVegas
9th December 2011, 10:50 AM
A mate of mine hits a solid ball with every club except driver. His driver ballflight is a low spinner, like an old balata ball flight. His miss is a push-block due to a big lateral move and gets stuck etc.. But anyway, his swing speed is around 110-115mph and he's playing a 9.5deg Nike VR Tour driver, with the stiff Project X stock shaft. He's a 6 hcap, but would be lower if he could keep it on the fairway. He's broken par at Brookwater off the golds where he can use 3 and 5 wood off the tee. Is there a shaft that will help him get the ball up higher with less spin. Or a different driver head? Or is this a technique issue that no club combo will help?

Steve57
9th December 2011, 11:00 AM
A mate of mine hits a solid ball with every club except driver. His driver ballflight is a low spinner, like an old balata ball flight. His miss is a push-block due to a big lateral move and gets stuck etc.. But anyway, his swing speed is around 110-115mph and he's playing a 9.5deg Nike VR Tour driver, with the stiff Project X stock shaft. He's a 6 hcap, but would be lower if he could keep it on the fairway. He's broken par at Brookwater off the golds where he can use 3 and 5 wood off the tee. Is there a shaft that will help him get the ball up higher with less spin. Or a different driver head? Or is this a technique issue that no club combo will help?

Sounds like you have described me!!!
I'm going through the same problems at the moment and everyone is telling me I need more loft with a low spinning shaft.
I tested the Ping G20 12* with the Tour Stiff shaft on Tuesday at Vic Park and was hitting it as well as I have ever hit anything.
I'm not a clubmaker but just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Steve

TourFit
9th December 2011, 11:23 AM
Sounds like he's possibly hitting down at impact (negative angle of attack)...that would explain low launch/high spin characteristics. If that is the case then he is better off to try to change the technique first IMO

But if he is NOT doing that, then more loft on the driver and a high launch/low spin shaft would be the road I'd get him to look down. (Graphite Design DI6 would do it, along with a couple of others)

Ashes
12th December 2011, 12:25 AM
Anyone tried installing grips with hairspray instead of tape/solvent or compressor?
I've built up heaps of mtb's over the years and always found it to be the easiest and most secure way to install grips - wondering whether it would work as well for golf grips (potentially less of a mess than solvent and save buying a compressor).

popper81
12th December 2011, 12:33 AM
I use air and hairspray... Works a treat :)

IanO
12th December 2011, 11:36 AM
I tried hairspray with the last set of grips I installed and it worked fine (and smells HEAPS better than white spirit!)

virge666
12th December 2011, 11:39 AM
Anyone tried installing grips with hairspray instead of tape/solvent or compressor?
I've built up heaps of mtb's over the years and always found it to be the easiest and most secure way to install grips - wondering whether it would work as well for golf grips (potentially less of a mess than solvent and save buying a compressor).

I use air and hairspray... Works a treat :)

I tried hairspray with the last set of grips I installed and it worked fine (and smells HEAPS better than white spirit!)

Finally - someone is actually listening.

Been doing it since my 2006 CBR fireblade grip came off.

Solvents are Ghey

BrisVegas
12th December 2011, 12:49 PM
Sounds like you have described me!!!
I'm going through the same problems at the moment and everyone is telling me I need more loft with a low spinning shaft.
I tested the Ping G20 12* with the Tour Stiff shaft on Tuesday at Vic Park and was hitting it as well as I have ever hit anything.
I'm not a clubmaker but just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Steve

Sounds like he's possibly hitting down at impact (negative angle of attack)...that would explain low launch/high spin characteristics. If that is the case then he is better off to try to change the technique first IMO

But if he is NOT doing that, then more loft on the driver and a high launch/low spin shaft would be the road I'd get him to look down. (Graphite Design DI6 would do it, along with a couple of others)

Thanks guys. I've suggested he try a higher lofted head and a number of different shafts for something that works better. Will see how he goes.

Iain
12th December 2011, 02:23 PM
Could be as simple as moving the ball forward in his stance if it's too far back Dion?

TheAwesom1
12th December 2011, 07:10 PM
how much tape should i put on my club if i am to regrip my grips to jumbo grips?

TourFit
12th December 2011, 08:20 PM
Are they midsize grips now? Or are they std size grips?

BrisVegas
12th December 2011, 08:21 PM
Could be as simple as moving the ball forward in his stance if it's too far back Dion?

yes, I have suggested that to him. but he's a stubborn fella.

TheAwesom1
12th December 2011, 09:50 PM
Are they midsize grips now? Or are they std size grips?

STD atm

virge666
12th December 2011, 10:33 PM
6 wraps

TheAwesom1
12th December 2011, 11:09 PM
6 wraps
Wow. Thx for the info helps alot.

Chris32
12th December 2011, 11:58 PM
My hybrid is half a inch longer than my 4 iron, so effectively 3 iron length

My 4 wood is 3 inches longer than my hybrid, and my driver is 3 inches longer than my 4 wood

If I cut the 4 wood down a inch and the driver maybe 2, how much lead tape approx would I need to keep the swing weight about the same?

qbnchopper
13th December 2011, 02:12 AM
Can you ho-makers point me in the right direction to buy some ****en ferrules (I've looked at the bay, golfsmith, golfworks) anywhere else ?

Im after:
- 100 x .355 1 inchers
- 30 x 370 dont care
- 30 x .335 1 inchers
- 30 x 350 1 inchers

virge666
13th December 2011, 09:52 AM
Can you ho-makers point me in the right direction to buy some ****en ferrules (I've looked at the bay, golfsmith, golfworks) anywhere else ?

Im after:
- 100 x .355 1 inchers
- 30 x 370 dont care
- 30 x .335 1 inchers
- 30 x 350 1 inchers

http://stores.ebay.com.au/GRAIL-GOLF?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Minor_Threat
13th December 2011, 06:03 PM
What are the club makers thoughts on re-using the papers on a shaft for a re-grip?

I reckon if they are still in good nick i.e. smooth then it is fine!

virge666
13th December 2011, 06:11 PM
What are the club makers thoughts on re-using the papers on a shaft for a re-grip?

I reckon if they are still in good nick i.e. smooth then it is fine!

Yep me too with the exception of putters... their grips are a bit thin on the sides... and the client may wish for a perfectly smooth feel.

TourFit
13th December 2011, 06:11 PM
I agree...generally...but it largely depends on the paper quality and how the grip came off. If it is free from rips etc then it 'should' be OK.

TheAwesom1
13th December 2011, 06:35 PM
Any advice about grip brands. I'm currently looking at Tacki Mac and Avon grips.

mike
13th December 2011, 07:00 PM
Both are awesom.

hardboiled
13th December 2011, 09:02 PM
Caldwell Gripmaster grips from Gamola are awesome for the price

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-37.810439,144.963148

Croydo
13th December 2011, 10:06 PM
I'm fairly certain i read the maximum number of layers of tape you can put under gripmaster grips is 2 layers

MegaWatty
13th December 2011, 10:47 PM
Just buy midsize...

TourFit
14th December 2011, 01:19 AM
I'm fairly certain i read the maximum number of layers of tape you can put under gripmaster grips is 2 layers

That is correct

Just buy midsize...

So is that!

Minor_Threat
14th December 2011, 07:04 AM
That is correct! i am about to install the Caldwells with 3 papers. What is the issue?

Tomson
14th December 2011, 09:06 AM
I've got 3 wraps under my gripmasters and they look and feel fine.

IanO
14th December 2011, 10:32 AM
I also have 3 layers of tape under my GripMasters

TourFit
15th December 2011, 12:49 PM
Gripmaster recommend only two layers...

...but not all tape is the same thickness, anyway.

(I've actually been up to 4 layers under a Gripmaster, and my tape is a little thicker than the ordinary white paper tape).

IanO
15th December 2011, 02:19 PM
If I had know before I put the grips on I probably would have removed the tape and re-taped to 2, but hey, it worked :mrgreen:

Tomson
15th December 2011, 03:18 PM
...but not all tape is the same thickness, anyway.

People ask why do you use the proper tape, its expensive and I can use masking tape its half the price and so much blah blah blah.

Why do I use the proper tape cause its the correct thickness so when I build grips up I get it right the first time.

Maybe I should post this in a different area, maybe the Things that piss you off thread. ;)

TourFit
15th December 2011, 04:28 PM
People ask why do you use the proper tape, its expensive and I can use masking tape its half the price and so much blah blah blah.

Why do I use the proper tape cause its the correct thickness so when I build grips up I get it right the first time.

Maybe I should post this in a different area, maybe the Things that piss you off thread. ;)

Well said...

However, it doesn't really matter what tape you use in reality. I always check with a micrometer anyway for finished (taped) shaft butt size

Tomson
15th December 2011, 05:00 PM
Well said...

However, it doesn't really matter what tape you use in reality. I always check with a micrometer anyway for finished (taped) shaft butt size

I made up some gauges at work for typical sizes that make its alittle easier.

Minor_Threat
15th December 2011, 08:30 PM
Well the grips are applied. I only have the equipment for the double sided with solvent technique, and ill tell you the Gamola grips were extremely hard going with the 3 papers.

2 of the grips didn't make it all the way to the butt(about 5mm short). I will be getting a compressor in the next week or so, so I will fix them up.

The grips awesome!

IanO
16th December 2011, 11:39 AM
Those Gamola leather grips are excellent! I bought an extra 15 as spares, just in case I do any HOing (not that I would ever do that :) )

LeftyHoges
16th December 2011, 03:47 PM
Massively important question of the day:

Where in the hell would I find a replacement badge out of the back of a Ping i5 5 iron?????

TourFit
16th December 2011, 03:59 PM
From another Ping i5 5 iron...:-s

perci
16th December 2011, 04:22 PM
Massively important question of the day:

Where in the hell would I find a replacement badge out of the back of a Ping i5 5 iron?????

If they were bought in Aus you may find they will repace it under warranty!

Biggles
16th December 2011, 05:16 PM
How do I tell if I have regular or mid sized grips on my current set of clubs?

TourFit
17th December 2011, 09:02 PM
'Most' midsize grips say so on the end of the grip...however, they may just be standard size grips built up with tape to midsize!

Get them measured might be a good start

KristianJ
18th December 2011, 03:24 PM
Any of you V2 experts know the length of an untipped V2 from the tip to the break between the silver and orange paint?

Got a 47" (yep, that long!) 07 Burner TP that measures 488mm from the base of the ferrule to said paintbreak, and want to know whether it's likely to have not been tipped (I'm assuming not, since they are 46" raw length). I know UST says in their specs pages not to tip trim for a driver, but I wouldn't mind tipping to get the flex a little stiffer.

TheNuclearOne
18th December 2011, 08:39 PM
So you're measuring from the ferrule base that joins flush to the hosel, not the top of the ferrule right?

KristianJ
18th December 2011, 08:45 PM
That's correct.

TheNuclearOne
18th December 2011, 08:50 PM
It's not computing for me. Tip to the silver is 19 7/8. You'd have 1 3/8 insertion in the 07 TP. 488mm is 19 1/4 inches so you've got 19 1/4 + 1 3/8 = 20 5/8. That's 3/4 more than it should have LOL. Either your measure is wrong or i misunderstand or it's a different version to the standard?

Tomson
18th December 2011, 09:04 PM
TNO have you got the depth of the hosel right? That seems alittle deep. Also it could have lost its plug and maybe another plug has been inserted at the end of the hosel which could be changing the figures.

TheNuclearOne
18th December 2011, 09:22 PM
TNO have you got the depth of the hosel right? That seems alittle deep. Also it could have lost its plug and maybe another plug has been inserted at the end of the hosel which could be changing the figures.

Done 3 or so 2007 TP's and other TM driver models Tom and they have always been 1 3/8. One model almost touched 1.5, can't remember which one. Just recked a 2007 V1 now and if it's not 1 3/8 it's 1 5/16.

TheNuclearOne
18th December 2011, 09:27 PM
Smallest insertion i've seen in a driver was a couple of Cleves at 1 1/8. It's like he's got one of these specials that Titty used to have of the NV's, an inch longer tip for the bore thru.

KristianJ
18th December 2011, 09:33 PM
I just checked the measurement again...definitely 488mm (can't find a tape measure around here with inches on it). Length from butt of grip (standard GPTV) to the same spot is 608mm if that helps any.

Either way I'll get Virge to look at it next week when I'm over his way.

TheNuclearOne
18th December 2011, 09:50 PM
Ok, youve got a weird version. Uncut butt to that spot allowing 1/8 or so for grip is 665mm so you've got 2 1/4 cut off the butt. The V2's are 46. On an original you've have 43 3/4 left which would play at 45 7/8, yet it's 47. Must be a made for (which did actually happen in the V2 from memory) or maybe a Titty type model with an inch extra tip. I know they had NV's supplied as such and i do remember them using the V2 around the time.

KristianJ
18th December 2011, 09:56 PM
I know there was a made for V2 in some Nickents, but the specs that are printed on the shaft are identical to the 6060 stiff. So that helps me in my puzzlement :lol:

TheNuclearOne
18th December 2011, 10:15 PM
Hahaha, you've got a rare one. If it's a titty escapee it would be playing so soft in a 2007 TP head it would not be funny. Like over an inch too much tip soft.

KristianJ
18th December 2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah, that's about right. It feels very noodly indeed. :) Funny thing is that it was apparently used to great effect at a local long drive competition.

TheNuclearOne
18th December 2011, 10:22 PM
It hasn't got LD anything near the V2 in the grey area has it?!?!?!!?!?!?

KristianJ
18th December 2011, 10:29 PM
Nope...every marking is bog standard.

TheNuclearOne
18th December 2011, 10:34 PM
Bummer, they did make LD UST's.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2933/ustproforcev2longdrivel.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/ustproforcev2longdrivel.jpg/)

Peppas
4th January 2012, 10:15 PM
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but...

How do you know what size grips you need? I'm getting a set of Pure grips from RBG but not sure if I want mid size or regular. I would daresay most of what I use is regular. I know I got a few papers put under my driver grip when I got it replaced as it was previously a Winn Excel grip, and the new grip was a regular Lamkin crossline grip.

Johnny Canuck
4th January 2012, 10:27 PM
Pure grips are pure crap. Super slippery.

Daves
4th January 2012, 10:31 PM
Pure grips are pure crap. Super slippery.

Total rubbish, your assessment that is.

meh
4th January 2012, 10:53 PM

Not the best grip but certainly not the worst.

meh
4th January 2012, 10:56 PM
I bought an odyssey #7 off croydo and I want to pull the shaft and replace it with a straight one. How easy/difficult would it be bending the bit the shaft goes on in order to get the lie angle right?

Peppas
4th January 2012, 10:57 PM
OK, but what about the midsize vs regular grips??

Yossarian
4th January 2012, 10:58 PM

We have photos to prove it.

The only grip were I have very nearly lost a club.

timah!
4th January 2012, 11:01 PM
OK, but what about the midsize vs regular grips??

What size glove do you wear?

Peppas
4th January 2012, 11:04 PM
What size glove do you wear?

Regular medium

Daves
4th January 2012, 11:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ajFE9XGLsQ

http://www.golfgrips-direct.com/acatalog/Grip_Sizing.html

timah!
4th January 2012, 11:13 PM
Regular medium

Maybe try 0.580 core standard? Should be a bit thicker than 0.600 which may be what you're after.

Peppas
4th January 2012, 11:28 PM
Maybe try 0.580 core standard? Should be a bit thicker than 0.600 which may be what you're after.

How would that compare with a .600 midsize? From what I can find, it would be 1/16th of an inch larger than standard which is about 2.1mm.

Watched that vid and the 2 fingers on my left hand do push into my thumb pad a little, but not too much.

This recommends I take standard. http://www.golfpride.com/FAQs.aspx#proper_size

timah!
4th January 2012, 11:37 PM
How would that compare with a .600 midsize? From what I can find, it would be 1/16th of an inch larger than standard which is about 2.1mm.

Watched that vid and the 2 fingers on my left hand do push into my thumb pad a little, but not too much.

Not sure, I have tiny hands but use standard with two wraps. I had .580 on an old set, but they felt a bit too big for me. Might be the go if you can find some cheap ish...

timinsa
5th January 2012, 12:00 AM
We have photos to prove it.

The only grip were I have very nearly lost a club.

Were you playing in the rain?

Yossarian
5th January 2012, 01:16 AM
No. It was a bit sweaty when ID lost his driver into the tree though.

Johnny Canuck
5th January 2012, 01:31 AM
It was a little sweaty, but he was also wearing a glove and lost it twice, on practice swings.

PeteyD
5th January 2012, 06:28 AM
You must of had a bad one or dipped it in something nasty?? I use pure grips and they are great. Often without a glove. What grip do you use normally?

mudrat
5th January 2012, 07:48 AM
You must of had a bad one or dipped it in something nasty?? I use pure grips and they are great. Often without a glove. What grip do you use normally? +1 I find they get grippier after the first few rounds, I often now don't wear a glove

Daves
5th January 2012, 07:59 AM

Not sure, I have tiny hands but use standard with two wraps. I had .580 on an old set, but they felt a bit too big for me. Might be the go if you can find some cheap ish...

Sounds like you should probably stick to standard size Peppas and perhaps experiment with a couple of extra wraps of tape. Approximately 6 wraps under a standard grip is equal to a midsize, so perhaps try 3 or 4 wraps and see how you like it.

Peppas
5th January 2012, 08:09 AM
Sounds like you should probably stick to standard size Peppas and perhaps experiment with a couple of extra wraps of tape. Approximately 6 wraps under a standard grip is equal to a midsize, so perhaps try 3 or 4 wraps and see how you like it.

I seem to remember the pro doing that for my driver. He said he'd put the most number of papers under the grip as he could, I'm pretty sure he said 5. I like the size of it on driver. I'll check where my fingers are when I get home. I probably will stick to standard, medium sized gloves is pretty small, I have long fingers though...

idgolfguy
5th January 2012, 11:01 AM
You must of had a bad one or dipped it in something nasty?? I use pure grips and they are great. Often without a glove. What grip do you use normally?That was my club that Yoss was getting of out of the tree. My irons are the Caldwell leather.I havethe Pures on all the woods. Never had any problem till that day. Twice the club flew out of my hands on practice swings. Have not had an issue since.

TheNuclearOne
5th January 2012, 11:40 AM
Looks like a decent climber that Yoss.

just
5th January 2012, 12:17 PM
I have Pure grips on a few clubs, I don't use a glove and have never had a problem. One of the best grips I've used.

Peppas
5th January 2012, 12:21 PM
I have Pure grips on a few clubs, I don't use a glove and have never had a problem. One of the best grips I've used.

Midsized? :)

just
5th January 2012, 12:35 PM
Midsize wraps, sold my spares to Daves.

timinsa
5th January 2012, 02:23 PM
Letting go of a club on practice swings is not on. It's not the grips fault.

Peppas
5th January 2012, 03:00 PM
http://www.golfgrips-direct.com/acatalog/Grip_Sizing.html

Measured myself as 7 and 3/4" and 3 1/4" for measurements 1 and 2. Mens std plus 2 or 3 papers. Interesting, in between :)

Peppas
5th January 2012, 04:47 PM
After all that, like an idiot, I accidently ordered the midsized grips. After I had decided to go standard. Frigging hell....

Johnny Canuck
5th January 2012, 04:49 PM
The mistake was ordering the Pure grip in the first place, Pecker.Love, Uncle Zig.

Peppas
5th January 2012, 04:56 PM
The mistake was ordering the Pure grip in the first place, Pecker.Love, Uncle Zig.

I know. Want a ring?

Johnny Canuck
5th January 2012, 05:01 PM
Lubin does.

TourFit
5th January 2012, 05:33 PM
After all that, like an idiot, I accidently ordered the midsized grips. After I had decided to go standard. Frigging hell....

Use the Mids with NO WRAPS under, and if needed a little thinner, stretch them a little more down the shaft.

Peppas
5th January 2012, 05:34 PM
Use the Mids with NO WRAPS under, and if needed a little thinner, stretch them a little more down the shaft.

Thanks for that TourFit. I will do that to try them out. Just a little annoyed at myself but who knows. Maybe I will like them?

Dotty
5th January 2012, 09:21 PM
Same size as Peppas (7.25 and 3.25) and not very dextrous. I do exactly that with Lamkin Midsize (Redcaps).

The Lamkin Crossline Midsize give slightly thicker grip.

Peppas
5th January 2012, 10:21 PM
Same size as Peppas (7.25 and 3.25) and not very dextrous. I do exactly that with Lamkin Midsize (Redcaps).

The Lamkin Crossline Midsize give slightly thicker grip.

Do you wear a medium glove too?

Dotty
5th January 2012, 11:05 PM
Do you wear a medium glove too?
I've never worn a glove. (I have a righty Wilson ProSoft in ML, that I used when coming back from a broken hand in 2006, when I used to use 2 papers under the grips.)

With the midsize, the middle and ring finger of the left hand rest against the thumb-pad, without being able to press the muscle.

I suggest try one on a wedge or a hybrid/wood, and see how they work for you, before doing the complete kit.

Peppas
5th January 2012, 11:50 PM
I've never worn a glove. (I have a righty Wilson ProSoft in ML, that I used when coming back from a broken hand in 2006, when I used to use 2 papers under the grips.)

With the midsize, the middle and ring finger of the left hand rest against the thumb-pad, without being able to press the muscle.

I suggest try one on a wedge or a hybrid/wood, and see how they work for you, before doing the complete kit.

These are actually for my spare set, a practice set of blades. They currently have a set of sharpro grips that are ripping up my right thumb so thought I'd change them. I'll probably do 7i and PW and see how it goes first.

So when you say middle and ring finger rest, what grip pressure are you applying?

Dotty
6th January 2012, 12:01 AM
I do hold thew club quite firmly (on a 10 scale, Nicklaus recommends a 3, and I probably use a 6.)

What I was trying to say ... if I try to squeeze it as tightly as possible, the fingertips of those two fingers can't dig into the thumbpad muscle (I can do this on original grips, esp. Cobra or TM).

Peppas
6th January 2012, 12:08 AM
I do hold thew club quite firmly (on a 10 scale, Nicklaus recommends a 3, and I probably use a 6.)

What I was trying to say ... if I try to squeeze it as tightly as possible, the fingertips of those two fingers can't dig into the thumbpad muscle (I can do this on original grips, esp. Cobra or TM).

Cheers Dotty, I get exactly what you mean now. Mine did in when I squeeze...

PS thanks for bringing back the burner for me from Champs :)

Peppas
6th January 2012, 12:12 AM
Also, any recommendations for a cheap air compressor to use with the Pure grip gun thingy?

Daves
6th January 2012, 06:50 AM
Also, any recommendations for a cheap air compressor to use with the Pure grip gun thingy?

I got mine from Super Cheap Auto, it was $90 something on special with bonus hose and attachments. They have it by itself on special at the moment for $75.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/#HomeProductRotator

Daves
31st January 2012, 10:24 AM
Glass shafting beads? are they worthwhile?, essential?, or Meh?

TourFit
31st January 2012, 10:53 AM
Shafting beads are great, especially if you are a hobbyist or beginner.

Personally, I use ground garnet (sandblaster sand!) and it lasts forever...and SO cheap. Just a sprinkle in the glue to add some grittiness and voila! same thing as glass beads!

LeftyHoges
2nd February 2012, 01:00 AM
Ok, couple of questions in relation to 910 adapters and shafts.

Similarly to the I-Mix adapters in the past where you had to tip trim about 1/2 an inch or more to get them to play to flex with the adapter on, what's the deal with the 910's?

I ask because I'm going to grab an adapter and put it on the Nunchuk that I'm pulling from my SuperFast and whack into my 15.5* 910F. Or is it just a case of put the adapter on and butt trim to length?

And then conversely, if I was to pull an adapter off an existing 910 shaft what would I need to do to that shaft to get it to play true to flex in a normal head?
Cheers guys

PeteyD
2nd February 2012, 07:04 AM
Don;t trim chuk, no flex.

Captain Nemo
2nd February 2012, 07:40 AM
Glass shafting beads? are they worthwhile?, essential?, or Meh?

Not essential, but worth it.
Just squares the shaft up a little more inside the hosel if three is a little more room than there should be.

timinsa
2nd February 2012, 08:02 AM
Just find a bead blasting shop & ask them for a small jar of fine beads from one of their tanks. You'll never use it all.

Tomson
2nd February 2012, 08:32 AM
We have a fine bead blaster at work, I took home a jar 4 years ago and its still nearly full.

timinsa
2nd February 2012, 09:46 AM
It's great for holding the shaft & head firm while the glue dries so you can wipe ferrules down & so the shafts don't move if you spine/flo etc.

Tomson
2nd February 2012, 10:02 AM
I only use it when the fit is alittle loose, otherwise its not needed.

virge666
2nd February 2012, 10:12 AM
It's great for holding the shaft & head firm while the glue dries so you can wipe ferrules down & so the shafts don't move if you spine/flo etc.

I only use it when the fit is alittle loose, otherwise its not needed.

+1 on all that !

Daves
5th February 2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the replies all.

I am just starting to accumulate fitting gear and working through what I need to stock. Any must read fitting books or vids out there for a hobbyist?

KristianJ
25th August 2012, 12:50 PM
Thought I'd ask this and see if anyone has an idea...

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4534/img0199tb.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/i/img0199tb.jpg/)

I've got a 9015D head but there's something inside the hosel that is preventing the shaft from going in the full insertion depth. I think the pic above shows the extent of the protrusion.

I haven't heated it yet to see whether it's just epoxy that's rehardened...is there anything else that it could be, or has anyone come across anything similar prior to reshafting a head?

KristianJ
25th August 2012, 12:57 PM
Never mind...it's epoxy. I found a thin enough chisel in the shed and managed to work it free.

Carry on. :)

Captain Nemo
25th August 2012, 04:21 PM
KJ, just pour a little acetone or nail polish remover in and leave a while, it will be clean in no time!
I would have left it and given Virge something to do......:lol:

virge666
25th August 2012, 08:11 PM
Never mind...it's epoxy. I found a thin enough chisel in the shed and managed to work it free.

Carry on. :)

Drill it out

TheNuclearOne
25th August 2012, 08:50 PM
Drill it out

Exactly, 5 second job.

Ducky
29th August 2012, 02:20 AM
I've reached the point (like many other hoes, I'm sure) where it seems (at least, this is how I'm trying to justify it to myself) more cost effective to purchase club assembly tools for personal use, as opposed to continually paying someone else. Anyway, I went a bit crazy on the Golfsmith website recently and purchased the following (well, these were the main purchases anyway):

— Loft/Lie Bending Machine
— Bending Bars
— Digital Swingweight Scale
— Shaft Extractor
— Bench Ruler

What else do I need? I was thinking of the following:

— Butane Torch
— Bench Saw

Maybe even a mini van to create the "mini tour van"... :-s

When I assembled my previous set of irons, I had minimal tools (pipe cutter, ruler, shaft clamp, and vices), and they turned out better than expected. As a result, I'm excited to build my next set with the proper tools.

matty
29th August 2012, 05:57 AM
Nice one Ducky. Am looking at buying the same things from Golfsmith to start the tinkering process.

PeteyD
29th August 2012, 06:01 AM
Get a heat gun, not a butane torch.

timinsa
29th August 2012, 07:30 AM
Bench saw for sure.
Tip weights.

LeftyHoges
29th August 2012, 10:39 AM

Get both, as you will need a butane torch to work on older clubs (old Pings for example, they are a bastard)

Puji
29th August 2012, 12:18 PM
How much did all that gear set you back Ducky?

virge666
29th August 2012, 01:01 PM
Heat gun for sure....

see if you can get the LPG attachements for removing irons... otherwise butane or PROpane is better,

ferrules... lots of them
2 inch masking tape
air compressor
hairspray #5 hold - strongest

LeftyHoges
29th August 2012, 01:13 PM
hairspray #5 hold - strongest

That's lubricant for blowing on grips, right?

virge666
29th August 2012, 01:16 PM
That's lubricant for blowing on grips, right?

No - it is for looking good whilst you are blowing on grips.

Blow it like Beckham.

Plus you dont need double sided tape with hairspray... the adhesive holds like shit to a blanket

timinsa
29th August 2012, 07:19 PM
Does anyone need a Pure gripping gun attachment thingy for their compressor? I have a spare. $25.

GSP
29th August 2012, 07:32 PM
Ill take it mate

Ducky
29th August 2012, 10:28 PM
I thought that the heat gun took too long to break down the epoxy?

Bench saw for sure.
Tip weights.
Oh yeah, good suggestion. I got some lead tape to add weight to the club-heads, but I'm going to purchase some Wishon 555M irons, which has weight ports built into the hosels.

Get both, as you will need a butane torch to work on older clubs (old Pings for example, they are a bastard)
Why is that? Because the metal takes longer to heat up on those clubs or the epoxy breaks down at a higher temperature?

How much did all that gear set you back Ducky?
The whole order was just under $1500 AUD delivered, which wasn't too bad considering I got the ultimate/professional series tools. Typically, your order would be less than this if you just buy the tools with no accessories.

see if you can get the LPG attachements for removing irons...
What are LPG attachments?

Plus you dont need double sided tape with hairspray...
So what replaces the adhesive on the double sided tape? The hair spray or is the rubber on the grips tacky enough?

Does anyone need a Pure gripping gun attachment thingy for their compressor? I have a spare. $25.
If you have another spare, let me know. I was looking into getting one. I keep hearing about Pure grips and the feedback seems to be positive. However, I just can't imagine anything being better in humid conditions than the cord multi-compound grips.

Sorry for all the questions. Are there any recommended books or DVDs? I was thinking of getting Tom Wishon's book "Common Sense Clubfitting", but I prefer watching videos as opposed to reading.

kingslayer33
8th September 2012, 01:42 PM
rather than start a new thread I thought this would be an appropriate place to ask the following:

I have two shafts that I was going to use in a 3 wood and driver but wanted to check whether they had previously been tip trimmed before doing any more lopping off.

- first is a UST Axivcore Red
- second is a UST Proforce V2 75

I guess the normal way to check this is to measure to a known point on a raw version of the same shaft. (Both of these have an identifiable change in colour from yellow to silver.) If this isn't the best way or there is an alternative resource for this info online I'm happy to be advised.

Cheers.

chappy1970
8th September 2012, 05:50 PM
Matt if you check the manufacturers website, it will indicate the details of the tip. If you have some calipers, you will be able to measure the tip length and be able to determine if the shaft has in fact been tipped

kingslayer33
8th September 2012, 08:42 PM
Ta Chris.

I don't have calipers at the house in Brisbane but I have a shaft guide template from golfworks. (no idea of its precision though)

Based on the metal template and using the stated 4" tip for both shafts I get that one has been tipped 2 1/2" and the other is 2". This seems a lot for the current length of them so I was now wondering how accurate the template is likely to be and also how close to the 4" tip these are usually manufactured at?

mrbluu
9th September 2012, 06:33 AM
I've reached the point (like many other hoes, I'm sure) where it seems (at least, this is how I'm trying to justify it to myself) more cost effective to purchase club assembly tools for personal use, as opposed to continually paying someone else. Anyway, I went a bit crazy on the Golfsmith website recently and purchased the following (well, these were the main purchases anyway):

— Loft/Lie Bending Machine
— Bending Bars
— Digital Swingweight Scale
— Shaft Extractor
— Bench Ruler

What else do I need? I was thinking of the following:

— Butane Torch
— Bench Saw

Maybe even a mini van to create the "mini tour van"... :-s

When I assembled my previous set of irons, I had minimal tools (pipe cutter, ruler, shaft clamp, and vices), and they turned out better than expected. As a result, I'm excited to build my next set with the proper tools.

I think I'm getting tool envy....shit that didn't come out right. How much was delivery on all that stuff as I was looking at getting a similar setup.

Thanks.

TheNuclearOne
9th September 2012, 04:16 PM
- first is a UST Axivcore Red
- second is a UST Proforce V2 75

Measuring from the tip get back to me on how much yellow paint you have on both shafts.

kingslayer33
9th September 2012, 08:40 PM
Cheers TNO.

AXIVcore is 23 7/8" from tip to end of yellow.
Proforce is 19 15/16".

TheNuclearOne
9th September 2012, 10:41 PM
Cheers TNO.

AXIVcore is 23 7/8" from tip to end of yellow.
Proforce is 19 15/16".

Your Proforce 75 is untipped.

Your Axivcore Red is tipped 5/8".

Standard tipping for a 3 wood is 1" for the both Proforce and Axivcore.

BayBum
22nd September 2012, 11:19 AM
Grip size

I have some .600 grips but the mizuno site tells me my shafts (NS Pro 1150GH Tour) & all others that they use for the MP-59 except TT are .580 core.

I like 3 layers under my grip.So,if my research is correct,i need 2 layers to begin with to bring the grips back to standard & then another 3 for my own personal liking ?

TourFit
22nd September 2012, 12:16 PM
It depends on the thickness of the tape :wink: ...and whether the grips you normally use with the 3 wraps are .600 or .580 core grips. But from what I read I assume that the grip AND butt are .600 in your example of what you use/prefer, so basically, YES. Spot on!

You build up the butt to the desired thickness .580 to .600 and then apply the 3 wraps you usually have and then the grip.

BayBum
22nd September 2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks Fit :) Got thick tape ? ;)

You are correct in your assumption. I have played midsize before & whilst i didnt mind it at the time,it was just that bit much too big. It's always too big...

LeftyHoges
22nd September 2012, 08:04 PM
A mate wants me to cut down a few clubs for his son. His wrist to floor is 42cm. What should I cut down, say a 6 and an 8 iron to?

Ducky
22nd September 2012, 08:37 PM
So,if my research is correct,i need 2 layers to begin with to bring the grips back to standard & then another 3 for my own personal liking ?
I was doing research on this a couple of weeks ago, and there is too much variation on build up recommendations based on tape thickness. I ended up purchasing some digital callipers and it takes out the guesswork (especially when you have shaft butt sizes ranging from .580 through to .625 in the same set). :D

Anyway, for reference the cheap 2" (48mm) making tape from Bunnings is exactly 0.010" per wrap.

I think I'm getting tool envy....shit that didn't come out right. How much was delivery on all that stuff as I was looking at getting a similar setup.
Ha ha. I can't remember the exact figure, but I recall that it cost approximately $30 USD cheaper to ship multiple items than the loft/lie bending machine by itself. Just create a GolfSmith account, add everything to the cart, and see what it comes up with.

Daves
22nd September 2012, 08:44 PM
A mate wants me to cut down a few clubs for his son. His wrist to floor is 42cm. What should I cut down, say a 6 and an 8 iron to?

A standard clubhead is going to be way too heavy for a kid of that stature I would think.

LeftyHoges
22nd September 2012, 10:02 PM
A standard clubhead is going to be way too heavy for a kid of that stature I would think. I mentioned that to him too, but its just an old set he's not doing anything with so we thought we'd give it a try before buying kid specific.

popper81
22nd September 2012, 10:15 PM
A standard clubhead is going to be way too heavy for a kid of that stature I would think. That is how you get the big John daly swing going Dave ;)

Ducky
28th September 2012, 08:43 PM
Massively annoyed currently (I'll get to the question after the rant). I lent my new Scotty Cameron Newport to a playing partner so he could roll a few putts with it. Typically, I am hesitant to lend my equipment to others to avoid damage (i.e. sky marks on drivers and fairway woods), but I naively figured that the potential of damaging a putter was minimal. Anyway, this particular playing partner decided it would be a great idea to put all of his weight onto the putter whilst bending over to reach for the hole. Needless to say, after watching the putter shaft bend quite significantly (and knowing that Scotty Cameron putters bend quite easily), I am convinced that the loft and/or lie angle has probably been bent out of specification. I was going to send it to Scotty Cameron to be checked, but with return postage of $130 USD (who would have thought that Scotty Cameron overcharges for putters and postage), it's not an option. I know that Scotty Cameron uses a proprietary loft/lie machine, so I'm assuming that I can't bend the putter on my Golfsmith Ultimate loft/lie machine. Now to the question: is there anyone within NSW that can accurately check the putter specifications (and potentially bend the loft/lie) for me? Maybe I should just send it to Kari Lajosi in VIC?

Captain Nemo
28th September 2012, 09:04 PM
Jeezus, really?????

Ducky
28th September 2012, 09:26 PM
Jeezus, really?
Unfortunately, yes. :neutral:

LeftyHoges
28th September 2012, 11:07 PM
Unfortunately, yes. :neutral:

Yep, go Lajosi. Will do just as good a job as Scotty would.

Johnny Canuck
28th September 2012, 11:43 PM
Better.

timinsa
29th September 2012, 08:35 AM
Rubber mallet time.

Pieman
1st October 2012, 07:22 PM
Can some tell me if GC16 wedges can be safely bent to 1 degree upright ?

hocko
1st October 2012, 08:04 PM
Yep, go Lajosi. Will do just as good a job as Scotty would.
Just not this week! I have a couple of jobs for him to do ;)

chappy1970
1st October 2012, 10:08 PM
Can some tell me if GC16 wedges can be safely bent to 1 degree upright ? Don't think that would be an issue Pieman

Pieman
2nd October 2012, 05:38 AM
Don't think that would be an issue Pieman

Even though they are cast not forged? I did read in another forum that it is possible, but no more than 2 deg, so 1 should work.

timinsa
2nd October 2012, 06:01 AM
In Australian vernacular. Piece of piss mate.

GSP
2nd October 2012, 08:11 AM
What can i use myself to do a quick and easy hot melt like deadening o my R11 head? Do bunnings have something appropriate

chappy1970
2nd October 2012, 09:23 AM
GSP I have looked into this, the professionals talk a lot about the special hot melt glue they use and teh fact that it stays a little soft. Not too sure what benefit this has over standard hot melt glue from a generic glue gun.

The trick with this is applying the hotmelt to the inside of the club face, they use a special apparatus that is essentially a hot glue gun with an extended nozzle. This allows the club fitter to remove the weight from the port and get the nozzle up close to the back of the club face. I have toyed with the idea of fashioning up a nozzle, but have had no time to experiment to date.

The glue gun's the professionals use are $1000+

oncewasagolfer
2nd October 2012, 09:50 AM
Bought a butane torch with the idea of removing some iron shafts but I think this thing doesn't have enough heat what is everyone using?

chappy1970
2nd October 2012, 10:06 AM
I use a heat gun for everything Rob (steel and graphite). I have a propane torch, just prefer the heat gun.

May take a little longer with steel, but always provides a great result.

LeftyHoges
2nd October 2012, 10:07 AM
Bought a butane torch with the idea of removing some iron shafts but I think this thing doesn't have enough heat what is everyone using?

Depending on the type of club (cast or forged) I'll use a butane torch or just a heat gun. I do have a hydraulic puller though which helps the equation. A butane torch should be more than enough though. Just apply that to the hosel for around 20-30 seconds, moving the torch so you dont blue the hosel. Apply again if needed until you can remove the shaft.

oncewasagolfer
2nd October 2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys the torch I bought is just like a cigarette lighter with a nosel so pretty crap I do have a heat gun though so will give that a go.

LeftyHoges
2nd October 2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys the torch I bought is just like a cigarette lighter with a nosel so pretty crap I do have a heat gun though so will give that a go.

Ahh, yes, will probably need a lot more with something like that. The heat gun will need probably around a minute or so before you can get it off easily without a hydraulic puller.

TourFit
2nd October 2012, 11:35 AM
Just not this week! I have a couple of jobs for him to do ;)

WOW...you too, eh?

mrbluu
3rd October 2012, 03:09 PM
Guys is there much difference in what glue do you use for your shafts. I was thinking of getting this. http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_TSPE if this no good, what would you recommend? Also does glue/epoxy have much of a shelf life?

Thanks

(http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_TSPE)

virge666
3rd October 2012, 03:17 PM
Guys is there much difference in what glue do you use for your shafts. I was thinking of getting this. http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_TSPE if this no good, what would you recommend? Also does glue/epoxy have much of a shelf life?

Thanks

That is what I use...

there is a 15 and 40 min gel version... got the 40 min.. more time to make adjustments.

chappy1970
3rd October 2012, 03:42 PM
mrbluu, I just received some 2 part epoxy from a guy who sells gear on eBay out of Tassie.

Very reasonably priced and the few clubs that I've assembled with it are great.

hocko
3rd October 2012, 03:44 PM

Thanks

I use this too, just make sure you have everything ready as it does gel quickly.

IanO
3rd October 2012, 04:06 PM
mrbluu, I just received some 2 part epoxy from a guy who sells gear on eBay out of Tassie.

Very reasonably priced and the few clubs that I've assembled with it are great.

Link?

popper81
3rd October 2012, 05:01 PM
Lads,

I have just tipped a ADDI 7s 1/2"... It is in Razr hawk head ... it will play 44".... think I should worry about putting a plug in the other end ( no homo ;) ). I haven't hit it yet, so I am not sure, I thought I would pick your brains.

Ashes
3rd October 2012, 05:16 PM
mrbluu, I just received some 2 part epoxy from a guy who sells gear on eBay out of Tassie.Very reasonably priced and the few clubs that I've assembled with it are great. Isn't that progolfgear that's on here?

LeftyHoges
3rd October 2012, 05:16 PM
Lads,

I have just tipped a ADDI 7s 1/2"... It is in Razr hawk head ... it will play 44".... think I should worry about putting a plug in the other end ( no homo ;) ). I haven't hit it yet, so I am not sure, I thought I would pick your brains.

Depends on your preference but I'd try it as is. If it doesn't work then its always easy to put an extension in later. Swingweight will be way down though.

hardboiled
3rd October 2012, 05:40 PM
Isn't that progolfgear that's on here?

I'd say it would be...

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Progolfgear?_trksid=p4340.l2563

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Golf-Club-Epoxy-2-Part-24-Hour-Glue-Araldite-8oz-236ml-/300781073748?pt=AU_Golf_Accessories&hash=item4607f2f554#ht_797wt_952

(http://stores.ebay.com.au/Progolfgear?_trksid=p4340.l2563)

popper81
3rd October 2012, 05:45 PM
Depends on your preference but I'd try it as is. If it doesn't work then its always easy to put an extension in later. Swingweight will be way down though. Yeah, that is a bridge for later on....hope this one gets out there a little longer now, would like a bit lore space between Marto and I on the tee... :lol:

chappy1970
3rd October 2012, 05:53 PM
Isn't that progolfgear that's on here?
Yes Ashes,
I didn't make the connection that he was an Ozgolfer.

Ian, if you need epoxy (I also got some shafting beads and borethru pins) get in touch with Luke (Progolfgear) he will look after you.

Chappy

Daves
3rd October 2012, 08:27 PM
I recently bought one of these Regrippers;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150915762363

I already had a Pure Grips tool, which was good, but the protective shroud got in the way on some grips. The DG-10 has been excellent so far. It seems to get a better seal and provides more power somehow. It blows old grips off easier than the Pure Grip tool ever seemed to do.

hocko
5th October 2012, 09:08 PM
Can you decrease the loft on a driver?

Johnny Canuck
5th October 2012, 09:43 PM
I recently bought one of these Regrippers;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150915762363

I already had a Pure Grips tool, which was good, but the protective shroud got in the way on some grips. The DG-10 has been excellent so far. It seems to get a better seal and provides more power somehow. It blows old grips off easier than the Pure Grip tool ever seemed to do.

Nice. I need a WA group buy to help on shipping.

Daves
5th October 2012, 09:57 PM
Nice. I need a WA group buy to help on shipping.

Make sure you use a protective shroud, as these will pop a grip real quick if you aren't careful enough. I have backed mine off 20 psi and still too powerful at times.

PS. He also sells a cheap Spinefinder. Wish I had seen it before I ordered the Regripper.

TourFit
5th October 2012, 10:22 PM
Can you decrease the loft on a driver?

Yes. If you have a loft/lie machine for woods. Always go the best model for these, as the heads are more valuable but vulnerable, and so you want the one with most effective clamping and least movement

hocko
5th October 2012, 10:24 PM
Yes. If you have a loft/lie machine for woods. Always go the best model for these, as the heads are more valuable but vulnerable, and so you want the one with most effective clamping and least movement

Do you have one?

Johnny Canuck
5th October 2012, 10:26 PM
Make sure you use a protective shroud, as these will pop a grip real quick if you aren't careful enough. I have backed mine off 20 psi and still too powerful at times.PS. He also sells a cheap Spinefinder. Wish I had seen it before I ordered the Regripper. Cheers for that Dave.

timinsa
5th October 2012, 11:15 PM
I use a standard trigger nozzle for removing grips rather than the specialised tools. It's easier to twist the butt of the grip.

Captain Nemo
6th October 2012, 08:00 AM
Lads,

Pop's, I think you'll be alright considering your height and arm length with it at 44"
Maybe a touch light?
Give it a go, you can add lead strips to suit later on?

TourFit
6th October 2012, 01:04 PM
Do you have one?

No. I have thought about it though, but in the end I've resisted any temptation. It can be very tricky to bend titanium hosels. It is much more brittle than steel. When they go they go without warning! It is a fairly 'high risk' thing for paintwork too. And for the most part you're only talking small adjustments anyway. Most guys who have the wrong loft have it WAY wrong, and small increments may not make too much difference to them.

Well, my opinion anyway!

BayBum
9th October 2012, 09:34 AM
Fit - Did you have any issues removing the OEM sleeve from the Fast12 ?

TourFit
9th October 2012, 10:33 AM
I haven't done one yet...but I imagine that it wouldn't be too hard!

I seem to be getting 'unlucky' with Cally Razrfit's though :cry:...first simmsy had a glue failure on his, then for JC I didn't have a proper ferrule (they are a little tough to get at the moment) and he was a bit worried about the large cavity at the top so I re-glued it when he came back with a PROPER ferrule. Boy are those things tight when they go in! His seems to have cracked from the top a little. I hate Callaway stuff...why do they have to make it so 'hard' (or better put, why do they make it higher risk than it has to be)

mrbluu
9th October 2012, 11:35 AM
If a putter is too flat, would it cause you to push or pull putts??

Captain Nemo
9th October 2012, 11:36 AM
Push.
Ive read and seen footage of putts hit from behind with the toe sitting up, and it causes pulls.
Youtube it.....

Daves
11th October 2012, 11:34 AM
A mate has lent me his Frequency Analyser whilst he is away for a few weeks. I am just trying to set it up correctly at the moment. I didn't get a chance to get instructions or a demo, so I am a bit unsure on a few things;

1) Does it matter where the tip weight is positioned? Does it have to be on the tip at a precise length/depth?

2) The Woods tip weight weighs 216 grams and the iron one 249 grams, are these "standard" as I have seen reference to a 205 gram weight being the standard?

3) The info I have read seems to say that the butt end clamp length should be 5", measured from where?

Any help appreciated.

dc68
11th October 2012, 11:50 AM
Call Perci Dave, he had/has one.

chappy1970
11th October 2012, 12:57 PM
Daves the 5 inch clamp should be from flush with the butt end (no homo) of the shaft.

As far as tip weights go, most have a bore hole where the tip is supposed to be inserted, so there should be no guess work with it. The weights you have are fine for what you want to achieve

Daves
11th October 2012, 02:39 PM
Call Perci Dave, he had/has one.

Yep, he was my next port of call.

Daves the 5 inch clamp should be from flush with the butt end (no homo) of the shaft.

As far as tip weights go, most have a bore hole where the tip is supposed to be inserted, so there should be no guess work with it. The weights you have are fine for what you want to achieve

Thanks Chappy, that makes sense. The clamp he gave me is only 3 inches wide and has a depth gauge of sorts on it which was measuring about 6 & 1/2". Once I turned the depth gauge around the right way, the 5" made sense!:roll: The iron weight has a plug in it to establish depth I found, the Woods ones didn't, but I now know how deep to install it (about Prep depth basically).

I am getting some interesting results. Shafts with heads attached apparently measure quite differently to a comparable shaft with tip weight.

Examples;

NS Pro 970 R installed in a AP2 5i = 267cpm
NS Pro 105T S installed in an AP2 5i = 292 cpm
NS Pro 970 R 5i iron shaft measured at same length as above with tip weight = 280cpm
NS Pro 950GH S 5i shaft measured at same length as above with tip weight = 318cpm

leftyhack
12th October 2012, 03:42 PM
Chappy, PM sent re re shafting irons

timah!
14th October 2012, 06:36 PM
How do you most accurately measure the length of irons?

Measure from heel to just under the end of the grip?

timinsa
14th October 2012, 07:34 PM
Straight ruler up the back of the shaft leant roughly at playing angle of the club. Measurement from the ground to end of shaft or end of grip depending on whether you are a Titleist or Mizuno fanboi.

Captain Nemo
14th October 2012, 08:02 PM
I bought one of these from Tozer ages ago, great investment
http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_TMR

BayBum
15th October 2012, 10:46 AM
Will a Harrison Saga 60s give me more flight and spin than my current VTS Silver 6s ?I haven't had any dealings with the saga but have read good things.Currently playing a 9.5 Fast12 LS with the VTS but the ball isn't staying airborne long enough.More of a low/mid rainbow flight with very little spin.

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2012, 11:03 AM
Do you need one?

BayBum
15th October 2012, 11:24 AM
I have one JC but I dont want to waste my time or $ if the numbers don't stack up to begin with.I'm not a fan of tinkering tbh.

TheNuclearOne
15th October 2012, 07:28 PM
Will a Harrison Saga 60s give me more flight and spin than my current VTS Silver 6s ?I haven't had any dealings with the saga but have read good things.Currently playing a 9.5 Fast12 LS with the VTS but the ball isn't staying airborne long enough.More of a low/mid rainbow flight with very little spin.

Saga won't be the answer here. The first answer is always get more loft but shafts like the Axivcore Black kick the ball up quite a bit.

BayBum
15th October 2012, 07:43 PM
Saga won't be the answer here. The first answer is always get more loft but shafts like the Axivcore Black kick the ball up quite a bit.

I was thinking about the Axivcore Tour Black or even the Blue 69. Im gonna grab the V2HL off JC & see how that goes.

Thanks TNO. I guess the Saga can sit & wait for the next driver if this experiment doesn't work:roll:

TheNuclearOne
15th October 2012, 10:40 PM
I was thinking about the Axivcore Tour Black or even the Blue 69. Im gonna grab the V2HL off JC & see how that goes.

Thanks TNO. I guess the Saga can sit & wait for the next driver if this experiment doesn't work:roll:

The HL should let you know if you need to ditch the loft/head, that's for sure.

xr06t
16th October 2012, 01:20 AM
Not sure if this is a 'clubmaker' query but i need help with my driver.

I am currently using a cleveland launcher 10.5 with the 44g fujikara in stiff. I was a little unhappy with the height and consequent distance loss with the 10.5 so i found a launcher 9.0 with a stiff diamana 50g. I thought i was onto a winner but after trying the 9.0 i have found my slice is back. I have had problems losing my drives to the right for a long time but had it under control with the 10.5 putting the ball forward in my stance and strengthening my bottom hand. even doing this with the 9.0 sees 8/10 drives heading way right (only 2/10 with the 10.5).

Will putting the 44g fujikara into the 9.0 head solve all my problems or is there more to it than the shaft?

Thanks

TourFit
16th October 2012, 12:56 PM
There is more to it than the shaft...

Less loft means your mishits will have more off-axis spin (often misrepresented as sidespin) in the direction your swing path/face angle dictates. So if you naturally tend to fade/slice, then less lofted clubs will make it worse.

The length of the club can (will) also make a difference. The longer the shaft is generally the harder it is to hit the ball a) in the middle of the clubface and b) with the clubface angle in the correct position.

mrbluu
16th October 2012, 08:56 PM
Q: I brought Timah's RBZ with a 76g Stiff V2 shaft which I feel I hit a fraction low. Would installing the lighter stock shaft allow me to hit the ball a little higher??

Captain Nemo
16th October 2012, 09:09 PM
Yep, send the V2 my way.....😀

timah!
16th October 2012, 09:11 PM
Q: I brought Timah's RBZ with a 76g Stiff V2 shaft which I feel I hit a fraction low. Would installing the lighter stock shaft allow me to hit the ball a little higher??

Yep, whack the stocko back in...

mrbluu
16th October 2012, 09:16 PM
Yep, send the V2 my way.....

Putting an order in tonight, can order you one thru that if you like??

If the V2 gets pulled from the RBZ, it will be going into the VSteel.....maybe.

Yep, whack the stocko back in...

Cool. Might do.

Captain Nemo
16th October 2012, 09:25 PM
Where from mate?

mrbluu
16th October 2012, 09:31 PM
golfworks.

darkmatter
17th October 2012, 09:15 AM
Hi guys,
bought a dirt cheap tp7hd, tipped for 5w, but it turns out it's been tipped at least 2.5", and its only got a 3" parallel tip!
I want to put this in my 906f2, but its a bore through. Could i insert it 1.5", fill the remaining bore with an old shaft tip, and butt extend it to length?
The shaft doesn't go that far into a 910 sleeve, so maybe i have to whittle down the tip to fit?
What do I do clubmaking gurus????

LeftyHoges
17th October 2012, 12:12 PM
Hi guys,
bought a dirt cheap tp7hd, tipped for 5w, but it turns out it's been tipped at least 2.5", and its only got a 3" parallel tip!
I want to put this in my 906f2, but its a bore through. Could i insert it 1.5", fill the remaining bore with an old shaft tip, and butt extend it to length?
The shaft doesn't go that far into a 910 sleeve, so maybe i have to whittle down the tip to fit?
What do I do clubmaking gurus????

Yes you can do this, they even have a name for it. For some reason blind-bore comes to mind but don't quote me on that. But short answer is yes, you can do it. Be mindful though that if its been tipped 2.5 inches when a 3 wood should probably only have about an inch it'll play pretty damn stout to flex.

TheNuclearOne
17th October 2012, 04:54 PM
Yes you can do this, they even have a name for it. For some reason blind-bore comes to mind but don't quote me on that. But short answer is yes, you can do it. Be mindful though that if its been tipped 2.5 inches when a 3 wood should probably only have about an inch it'll play pretty damn stout to flex.

TP7HD tipping for a 5 wood is 2" so it's not miles over. Trouble is the TPHD's are already stout to flex.

KristianJ
17th October 2012, 05:05 PM

Heh...if I'd been able to make it over today we could have swapped clubs to see if it does as you wish it to do.

LeftyHoges
17th October 2012, 05:08 PM
TP7HD tipping for a 5 wood is 2" so it's not miles over. Trouble is the TPHD's are already stout to flex.

Oops, my bad. I was assuming he wanted to put it in his 3 wood. Should have read the signature. So yes, doable, yes stouter to flex, but not as much as I first thought.

darkmatter
17th October 2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks Lefty and TNO, that's good to hear.
Another question: because it only has .5" parallel tip left, how do I fit it 1+" down a hozel?

LeftyHoges
17th October 2012, 05:41 PM
Another question: because it only has .5" parallel tip left, how do I fit it 1+" down a hozel?

You'll have to sand it down. Which means the chance of it snapping is increased. Probably not significantly, but something to be aware of.

Edit: I see you're from Melbourne. Feel free to join us at this next year...
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/31026-Official-VIC-champs-thread-Feb-15-18-Melbourne?p=869579#post869579

TourFit
17th October 2012, 05:59 PM
It has been OVER tipped. No question that will have an effect on the overall feel and performance of the shaft. It may work, it may well not! It is probably the reason it was also selling cheap.

The parallel tip section is there for a reason, and only having 1/2" left will greatly increase the risk of failure due to having to abrade the wider taper down to be able to fit in the hosel.

TheNuclearOne
17th October 2012, 06:04 PM

Absolutely take your time and remove as little paint/graphite as possible to get it to bottom out. I would measure the bore, then take just the paint off up to that measure then try it for fit and go from there.

darkmatter
17th October 2012, 07:26 PM
would it be worth widening the hosel by drilling it out a bit?

TheNuclearOne
17th October 2012, 09:54 PM
would it be worth widening the hosel by drilling it out a bit?

You could, but personally i wouldn't be drilling out a perfectly good hosel to accomodate an overtipped shaft, no matter what it was. You've got to try the shaft first, it might not be that bad of a fit.

TourFit
17th October 2012, 10:20 PM
Or alternatively the playing characteristics of the shaft may be stuffed...

TheNuclearOne
17th October 2012, 10:25 PM
I meant not a bad fit into the hosel, with luck. It might not need boring at any rate.

golfbound
17th October 2012, 10:34 PM
Got 11 new ferruls to put on my irons 710 AP2's what do you think someone would charge to put these on and can anyone recommend someone on the gold coast to do this.

timah!
19th October 2012, 12:54 AM
Hi all,

I have a new uncut KBS Hybrid shaft to go into a 910h 21*.
How much do I need to tip trim this to fit? Golfworks/KBS trimming instructions seem to suggest 3"?

Does this seem right, and is there anything else I need to do for putting it into 910h tip?

I imagine then it's just butt trim to length?

Cheers,

Tim

timinsa
19th October 2012, 08:57 AM
Correct.

timah!
19th October 2012, 09:03 AM
Cool bananas.

timah!
20th October 2012, 11:15 PM
Ok, one more question.

I have a MFT 'ahina 72s driver shaft that has been tipped 0.5" already.
I was thinking about trimming it some more to play in a fairway.
How much more would it need to be tip trimmed to get it to a fairway 'flex'?
I was thinking another half inch off the tip, then butt trim to length? Or would a full inch be better?

Cheers.

mrbluu
20th October 2012, 11:24 PM
Heh...if I'd been able to make it over today we could have swapped clubs to see if it does as you wish it to do.

Sorry mate, I totally missed this post.

virge666
21st October 2012, 08:13 AM
Ok, one more question.

I have a MFT 'ahina 72s driver shaft that has been tipped 0.5" already.
I was thinking about trimming it some more to play in a fairway.
How much more would it need to be tip trimmed to get it to a fairway 'flex'?
I was thinking another half inch off the tip, then butt trim to length? Or would a full inch be better?

Cheers.

Half inch is fine !

Diamana is a hlaf inch tip for fairways.

timah!
21st October 2012, 10:01 AM
Half inch is fine !

Diamana is a hlaf inch tip for fairways.

Even for the made fors?
Sweet, I'll take some from the butt (no homo).

BayBum
21st October 2012, 10:03 PM
Matching your Driver to your 3 wood....

Can it be done or is it just a stupid idea in general ?

I know a driver is a driver & vice versa but i have found myself having no use for a big dog because my 3w goes just as far & sometimes fly's my driver's full distance.I dont want to play golf if i cant hit a driver lol Classic noob !

The RBZ Tour 3w aint goin nowhere so i need to come up with a driver setup that does the job. I have never hit a 3w like this before, It is incredible ! I want a driver that can do what my 3w does.

Can i get there ? If so how ?

3w is stock setup - What attributes in that would i look for in a driver setup ?

:?

TheNuclearOne
21st October 2012, 10:16 PM
As long as you aren't hitting down on the driver too much you just have to find good launch and spin rates for a good fit. Usually when the 3 wood is beating the driver it's a bad fitting driver or a bad driver swing, commonly not level enough.

BayBum
21st October 2012, 10:21 PM
Swing doesnt change much. I still get the driver out there but just not as much as i feel i should be with the contact i am making. I am looking at the possibilty of playing a 10.5 rather than 9.5 & matching it with a more mid-low launching shaft,see how that goes.

Fitting is such a fickle thing :(

TheNuclearOne
21st October 2012, 10:29 PM
Swing doesnt change much. I still get the driver out there but just not as much as i feel i should be with the contact i am making. I am looking at the possibilty of playing a 10.5 rather than 9.5 & matching it with a more mid-low launching shaft,see how that goes.

Fitting is such a fickle thing :(

Well if you're swinging ok on the driver it should be beating the 3 wood on good hits no matter what model. don't get me wrong, some guy 80 with 70mph SS might be a different matter but i'm sure that's not you.

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2012, 09:57 AM
Who needs an extractor bwahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g1S1Pf8B_9o

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2012, 09:58 AM
More DIY, bloody tough them Epics lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHHm0A_cPCI&feature=plcp