PDA

View Full Version : WeekCommencing 8 August 2005

990B Luva
8th August 2005, 11:13 AM
not playing golf,but going forl icence tomorrow

AndyP
8th August 2005, 11:16 AM
I really don't understand the obsession with being the first one to start this thread, even if you don't have a score to report. :?

Jarro
8th August 2005, 11:19 AM
give him a break AndyP, he's just a dumb kid :P :wink:

good luck tomorrow Brett 8)

AndyP
8th August 2005, 12:18 PM
give him a break AndyP, he's just a dumb kid  :P  :wink:
What's other people's excuse then? :mrgreen:

990B Luva
8th August 2005, 05:07 PM
i really couldnt car about starting this thread AP, thanks Jarro hopefully i get my P's then i can drive to golf and not have to wait for hours to get home :lol:

McMw
8th August 2005, 08:38 PM
had a double and a bogey in an otherwise very satisfying 9 holes...
would have loved to have a few birdie putts dropped, but beggars can't be choosers...anything would be good after yesterday's disaster... :lol:

Flowergirl
9th August 2005, 08:56 AM
How did you go 990B luva? Im crossing my fingers for you :D

Eag's
9th August 2005, 02:32 PM
Played in the Virginia Blue marker challenge today.
Shot 96 :oops:
4 Greens
8 Fairways
38 Putts :oops:

Tee's were way back and the greens were rock hard and bloody quick :shock:
Some pins were bordering on unplayable, cut 3 to 4 paces on which made it almost impossible to get near them.

Even so, I just played terrible once again :evil: my course management is all over the place.

andylo
9th August 2005, 02:36 PM
How did you go 990B luva? Im crossing my fingers for you :D

HE got his license.

AndyP
9th August 2005, 02:40 PM
Played in the Virginia Blue marker challenge today
How much did that set you back, Eag's? Is it still about $20?

Eag's
9th August 2005, 02:48 PM
Played in the Virginia Blue marker challenge today
How much did that set you back, Eag's? Is it still about $20?

Yep $20 Andy and they throw in a burger as well.
My burger was the highlight of the day :wink:

Grunt
9th August 2005, 05:17 PM
Well I am about to start another one of my epic runs of non stop golf. 5 rounds in 5 days. Starting with Bexley tomorrow & Thursday, then Mac Grange Friday & Saturday culminating in a Pennant game at Bexley on Sunday.

I will keep you all posted and I will not hide the bad scores :cry: but I will very much so highlight the good ones as I can feel a good one coming on.

Grunt
10th August 2005, 12:27 PM
Played Bexley this morning. 27 Points, expected to play better. I have to learn how to play hard, fast small greens better. I can't stay on them in my approach shots.

Had a bad ruling i think from one of the guys I was playing with too.

If you hit a Provisional, then hit it again. If as you walk up the fairway you see your first just ahead of where you hit your Provisional the second time. Is the First ball in play or is it out of play because you have hit the provisional ball a second time.

I have alway thought so long as the shot you played with the provisional ball is behind the first ball, you can play the first ball without penalty.

AndyP
10th August 2005, 12:35 PM
You were correct, Grunt, and got screwed. :(

If you both believed you were correct, you should have played both balls, recorded both scores, and let the committee decide after the round.

Grunt
10th August 2005, 12:39 PM
Was having a bad day and just could not be bothered arguing about it. All 3 of the guys in the group backed one another, so Iwas on a hiding to nothing.

McMw
10th August 2005, 02:06 PM
Was having a bad day and just could not be bothered arguing about it. All 3 of the guys in the group backed one another, so Iwas on a hiding to nothing.

so wat???
it's your score...do what you think you should have done (which was either play both balls, OR what you did) and then refer it back to the clubhouse...

it's silly to be penalized by someone who doesn't know the rules...

Grunt
10th August 2005, 03:14 PM
I know, I should have done that but I was having a tough round not scoring even though I was not playing as bad as my score said and basicall gave up.

McMw
10th August 2005, 03:30 PM
fair enuff....

but remember, if a rules decision ever comes up again - don't be penalized by someone who don't know the rules...you'll be the one with the egg on the face - not them...

even if you're not convinced, play 2 balls...

carrying a rules book is good...if u know what or where to look for...

couple of months ago, during the club open, I spend 2 holes looking for one stupid ruling, and I knew it was in there, coz it was the OOBs ruling...

guy did the right thing, played 2 balls...

Grunt
10th August 2005, 03:41 PM
Yeah I know
I grabbed the rules book out of my bag on the way to the next tee and read it, I thought I was right, I just posted here to confirm to myself that I was right and I had not read into it what I wanted to read.

Courty
11th August 2005, 06:50 AM
Well, not more than 5 hours after getting off the plane, I ventured down to the club and joined the Wednesday afternoon comp field. Didn't have time to hit any balls on the range, and couldn't use the practice green (rebuilding) so I ventured straight to the first (10th) tee. After not touching a club for 6 weeks, I was surprised by how fluid my swing felt. But unfortunately, that did not translate into good ball-striking. I hit them thin, fat, off the toe etc etc. I didn't hit a fairway until the 16th hole of the day, and it turned out to be the only fairway of the day. After turning on 9pts I thought the sacred 19 was in trouble, but I putted much better on the back to make 13 points and finish with a 'respectable' 22. That said, I knew it was going to be a crap round, so I'm not at all disheartened. I was just happy to be out on the course. However, I think I may have a bit of work in front of me to get back to the form I was in before I left. :shock:

Flowergirl
11th August 2005, 09:12 AM
4BB yesterday in the rain, sleet and hail. So disappointed that it didn't snow. Thank God for good wet weather gear. Played pretty average - but hey - who wouldn't in that type of weather. We had a very average 35 points. Winners had 38 - which is very low for a 4bb comp.
Hard to read putts when the greens are covered in hail.

BrisVegas
11th August 2005, 11:34 AM
.... After turning on 9pts I thought the sacred 19 was in trouble, but I putted much better on the back to make 13 points and finish with a 'respectable' 22.

The number to beat is 17 points, posted by AndyP at Brookwater ages ago. There's a few of us heading out there on Saturday, so the number could go lower yet.... :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:

Courty
11th August 2005, 11:37 AM
.... After turning on 9pts I thought the sacred 19 was in trouble, but I putted much better on the back to make 13 points and finish with a 'respectable' 22.

The number to beat is 17 points, posted by AndyP at Brookwater ages ago.  There's a few of us heading out there on Saturday, so the number could go lower yet....  :lol:  :lol:  :shock:  :shock:

Phew. 17pts :shock: I don't feel so bad now. :wink: :D

Grunt
11th August 2005, 05:12 PM
Played Bexley again today. Played a match against one of my mates in my C grade team and finished up all square. Still failed to have a good short game. Don't know what to do about shots when just off green. They are so hard and fast.

McMw
11th August 2005, 10:07 PM
2 pars, 2 birdies, 1 double, 4 bogeys....model of consistency here!!! :roll:

andylo
12th August 2005, 08:12 AM
"Inside out, inside out, inside out"....

This is what I have been thinking last 14 bloody days?

Result: Almost give up golf! :lol: (I won't!!)

Just hate that:

A> why my body is so pathetically can turn the way I want?
B> my right hand... too active when trying to release the bloody club, which cause (good) outside in take away and (bad) outside in swing thru.
C> why my swing just not improving! :evil:

At least I (kinda) solve my putting problem... for now. But my world of golfing still ugly and overcast! :evil:

Just need a whinge! :twisted:

markTHEblake
12th August 2005, 09:10 AM
Good onya Grunt - a lot of people still think that a 'marker' can enforce rules on a golfer.

For example - You dont actually need permission from a marker to take a drop - you only have to inform him. If he doesnt agree thats his problem not yours, naturally he could refuse to sign your card, but thats when you get a ruling at the end of the day.

In situations like that I will always play two balls - because there is always a seed of doubt when there is a dispute, and secondly its better to get the ruling to educate the boofheads that dont know the rules.

Grunt
12th August 2005, 01:10 PM
Played Mac Grange this morning 35 points , not bad 3 wipes so the scores are in me just waiting to be released.

Jarro
12th August 2005, 03:52 PM
my worst comp round for the year today ... 93 :(

not totally unhappy though, i'm working on a swing change and i think i might be onto something :wink:

time will tell.

terryand
12th August 2005, 04:00 PM
my worst comp round for the year today ... 93  :(

not totally unhappy though, i'm working on a swing change and i think i might be onto something  :wink:

time will tell.

Gee I think we should really this matchplay out of the way as soon as possible :wink:

Terry.

Jarro
12th August 2005, 04:05 PM
yeah Tezza, i think it would be in your best interests :wink:

markTHEblake
12th August 2005, 04:20 PM
B> my right hand... too active when trying to release the bloody club, which cause (good) outside in take away and (bad) outside in swing thru.

andy, the club(hands) releases naturally by itself. If you feel you have to try to release it, you are doing something wrong way before you get to that point.

andylo
12th August 2005, 04:22 PM

andy, the club(hands) releases naturally by itself.  If you feel you have to try to release it, you are doing something wrong way before you get to that point.

Thats what I thought too.... the club head should turn when your body turn, don't need to do extra thing to make it close....

I kinda think it's my swing path's inconsistent.... (i.e. I thought I am swinging inside out but I am actually doing outside it) so it sort of encourge me to close the face aggressively.... which cause me to pull/hook it from outside....

Bloody swing... so hard to do!

Eag's
12th August 2005, 05:52 PM
Played Nudgee today in the rain and cold.
Hit the ball ok today, just didn't drive to well.
Shot 84
7 Greens
6 Fairways
33 Putts

cazandpaul
13th August 2005, 04:11 AM
28 points :oops: - but at least it was double the temperature :shock:

Flowergirl
13th August 2005, 09:04 AM
14 degrees Paul..........gee - that's a bloody heatwave :shock: :wink:

Grunt
13th August 2005, 03:52 PM
Another Day another round.
Played poorly this morning could have shot anything, Iron play was sensational but short game really sucked; bad chipping & putting really cost me. Drove every par 5 either on teh green or beside it in two, only to come away with one birdie and 3 bogeys.
Oh well Pennants tomorrow lets wait and see how that goes.

5 Rounds in 5 Days :roll:

terryand
13th August 2005, 04:10 PM
Manage to butcher another good round this morning considering the cold,rain and wind :?

4 over after 14,then 12 over after 15 and 16 :oops: :oops: :oops:

Was very happy with the way I played up to the 14th cosidering how tough the conditions where :?

Finished 15 over 87...Mmmmmm what could have been ,again :cry:

Terry.

Jarro
13th August 2005, 04:35 PM
Manage to butcher another good round this morning considering the cold,rain and wind :?

4 over after 14,then 12 over after 15 and 16 :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Was very happy with the way I played up to the 14th cosidering how tough the conditions where :?

Terry.

jesus mate, what the hell happened :shock:

terryand
13th August 2005, 04:50 PM

4 over after 14,then 12 over after 15 and 16 :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Terry.

jesus mate, what the hell happened  :shock:

2 in the water at 15...Quad :oops: Tried to cut it up with the wind and hit it fat into the water(you'd think I 'd learn after doing this last time I had a round going around there) then proceeded to drop mt next ball at the front of the nice flat tee block, to watch it roll a foot into into a divot :? and then hit it in the water too :oops:

Drove it in the water on snake off the tee,them domed another in,just got the 3 wood over(with the 3rd ball),chipped and 2 putted...another Quad :oops:

Actually come to think of it I wasn't really that happy with the first 14 with 2 3 jigs(one from 12 feet) and a missed 3ft birdie putt aswell :evil:

One highlight of the day was one of my playing partners,playing off 8 went from a 10 on the 3rd and a 49 front nine to having a hole in one on the 11th 8)

You asked  :cry:

Terry.

Courty
13th August 2005, 04:55 PM
The last thing I needed after not playing in 6 weeks was a stroke round. :evil:
I had 3 penalties and a sh|tload of 3-putts as well as a pile of just plain crap shots for a 91 (nett 84). The only consolation was that I played even par for the last 4 holes. Strange thing was, I wasn't really timing anything except the driver: I hardly missed a fairway with it. Shame about everything else though... :roll:

jimandr
13th August 2005, 05:38 PM
It's my birthday today, and I had hoped to celebrate with a good round in our home Vardon event, the Camden Valley Cup.

But, as J Newton says, it was not to be.

Just a bit off my game all day, and a couple of disasters turned a middling score into a mediocre 84 net 78.

Fairways = 7 of 14
Greens in Reg = 9 of 18
Putts = 36, two birdies, 2 three putts
Up & Down = 0 of 4
Sand Saves = 0 of 4
4 penalty shots.

I turned down the chance of daytime drinks at the races today. Night time drinks instead looks like the go.

McMw
13th August 2005, 05:55 PM
after crap rounds of 43 and 41 on thurs and fri - wasn't looking forward to today's comp round...

but...birds on the first 2 holes, and 5 GIRs in the first 5 holes....things were looking good...

finished with a 70 off the bat...as did my playing partner...but I think I got him on countback, my 33 to his 34...

will have to wait till tomorrow to see if any 69s come in....

cazandpaul
14th August 2005, 04:23 AM
Caz had 2nd round of business ladies championships - 81 net 73 (par 73) - second in the gross and leading the net - leader of the gross is a 3 marker who has shot 76-78 with the last round next Saturday.

Holden Scramble today.

markTHEblake
14th August 2005, 02:14 PM

4 over after 14,then 12 over after 15 and 16

I feel much better now....

5 under after 10, finished square. It only takes two doubles and a 3 putt to mess up a decent score.

Pinglauncher
14th August 2005, 04:20 PM
Seems to have been a lot of butchering out there today.

38 points all up. 23 points on the first nine (back) with 2 lip outs. Closed the second nine with 15 points with 3 very sloppy wipes all of which were caused by brain explosions. Apart from 3 holes this was the best I have hit the ball in 6 months or more.

You've just to love this game :shock:

McMw
14th August 2005, 04:35 PM
well....it did bloody happen...
another club member shot 69 to win the gross prize... :evil:
from wat I was told, he birdied the last hole (7th) to shoot the 69...

oh well.....next time, I'll turn the tables on him!!!

is there any reason for me to be pissed coz he also played yesterday, and shot 73...

sominc
14th August 2005, 05:08 PM
Played today in Single stab had 37 points, ot bad considering i only hit 2 of 14 fairways missed and eagle and 2 birdie putts, had 3 washes and 3 dbl boagies, not very impressed with myself :wink:

BrisVegas
14th August 2005, 06:15 PM
Seems to have been a lot of butchering out there today.

AMen to that. 20 points at Brookwater yesterday.... :oops: And yes, that was for 18 holes... :wink:

Grunt
14th August 2005, 06:21 PM
Played in my C grade pennant match @ Bexley.

All the practice is starting to pay of. I hardly missed a fairway, nailed 4 long putts ( over 15 feet).

The guy I played was a great bloke and we had a great game, he said after the game that I may have even given the b graders a run for their money today.

Bit of a break after 5 rounds in 5 days, was suppossed to go back to work tomorrow but have caught a cold/flu from the early mornings and cold weather.

mike
14th August 2005, 06:35 PM
Craziest match play I've ever played yesterday. 14 of the 18 holes had a result with only 4 holes squared. :?
Lost the 19th. :x

cazandpaul
15th August 2005, 04:24 AM
Holden Scramble - 65 (par 71) net 59 1/6 - not enough putts sunk :(

amanda
15th August 2005, 07:18 AM
Lost the quarter-finals of the Chick of the Walk 1up - I played absolutely shocking all day - luckily my partner had a pretty good day - but just not good enough!

Oh well - quarter finals of the matchplay championship next week!