PDA

View Full Version : Wifey's Xmas Pressie

oscar
6th December 2011, 08:30 AM
Need some ideas guys, struggling this year.

What have you got for your significant other??

Jarro
6th December 2011, 08:42 AM
My missus wants an iPad2

oscar
6th December 2011, 08:48 AM
Yeah that's top of the list.

Webster
6th December 2011, 08:52 AM
We don't do Christmas presents.

sms316
6th December 2011, 08:53 AM
A vacuum. The gift that keeps on giving.

Jarro
6th December 2011, 08:54 AM
We don't do Christmas presents.

I thought you might've given the wifey a membership at Port Fairy as a pressie ?

jaybam
6th December 2011, 08:55 AM
A vacuum. The gift that keeps on giving. Why would your wife need one of those.? She has you and you suck more than any vacuum i have ever seen and as if any crumbs would get past your big gob ;)

LarryLong
6th December 2011, 09:39 AM
You're welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9HloS9Ukto

Moe Norman
6th December 2011, 10:04 AM
My missus wants an iPad2

thats what I got for the mrs.

2nd hand of course.

Jarro
6th December 2011, 11:03 AM
thats what I got for the mrs.

2nd hand of course.

Where do you get them secondhand ??

live4golf
6th December 2011, 11:26 AM
yeah, spill the beans on the iPad2...mine is after one as well.

Daves
6th December 2011, 11:28 AM
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Jarro
6th December 2011, 11:58 AM
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Their prices are a lot cheaper than new.

Anyone have any dealings with them ?

Daves
6th December 2011, 12:03 PM
Their prices are a lot cheaper than new.

Anyone have any dealings with them ?

It is Apple's own online store, so would assume they would be pretty good. Here is the link to their Oz store;

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Eldrick
6th December 2011, 12:06 PM
the wife is keen one as well
i was going to research an Android tablet instead but have left it too late

so going to try and get JB or Dickes to match the $518 price i found online

Moe Norman
6th December 2011, 12:15 PM
I got mine off another forum's for sale section.

I paid $400, it included a smart cover and he sent the receipt dated 16/8/11 where he had paid $762, so I got the balance of warranty as well.

Ebay is usually also a decent place to buy things 2nd hand I have heard?

Ours is the 16gb 3G version. I wasn't going to get 3G, but it was such a decent deal I was happy enough.

AndyP
6th December 2011, 12:31 PM
jarro, I have purchased a refurbed Apple iPod nano before. Zero problems with it.

Goldy
6th December 2011, 12:49 PM
T-shirt and a vibrator.

If she doesn't like the t-shirt, she can go and.......you get the idea.

Lobsta
6th December 2011, 12:56 PM
the wife is keen one as well
i was going to research an Android tablet instead but have left it too late

so going to try and get JB or Dickes to match the $518 price i found online

I'd recommend reconsidering. Android tablets are simply better than apples offering. This is rather ironic for me to say because I am typing this on an iPad, but I defend this by saying that I got the iPad as a gift. The iPad aren't bad products, I couldn't live without mine, especially after jail breaking it. Where the product fails is value for money. Dollar for dollar, you get a better product from android tablets. If I was purchasing one with my own money, I would go android every time.

The only situation where my recommendation doesn't hold is if the intended user isn't super tech savvy. Apple do one thing well and that is idiot proofing. That is however a double edged sword since my main gripe with the products as products, value aside, is that in their efforts to idiot proof the devices, they also seriously neuter the things. By limiting certain capabilities of the devices in the vision of making it simple for the end user, they have limited more tech-capable users from realizing the full potential of the devices. I'm choosing to take the non-apple-are-control-nazi view here, but there is that argument to be had.

The android tablets also have the benefit of many hardware options that do not exist in the apple offering. Expandable memory, USB imput and hdmi output are the first ones to come to mind. Software wise, they benefit greatly from the open source nature of the android os and the free-er style app market breeds better free apps, through I must admit, in some situations, apples app store has slightly better quality apps, though you do pay through the nose for them. Though in other situations, android allowing developers more free reign over what capabilities are allowed to them results in some apps that blow apples equivalents out of the water, so the premium app argument goes both ways.

Overall, if I was buying for my nana, I would probably end up going for and iPad, but if I was looking for myself or swmbo or anybody else with even a basic tech understanding, I would go with android. Just make sure you go with something over 10 inches (no homo), anything less than that isn't a tablet, it's an oversized phone. Where to buy: Mobicity. No question there.

Models I like are the Galaxy tab 10.1, Acer iconia A501 or Motorolla Xoom. And definitely go 3G. There's no point of just wifi.

Tl;dr. iPads are for nanas, android tabs are for the cool kids.

Lobby

goughy
7th December 2011, 07:01 AM
I agree with Lobby, and if I was getting Robyn one I'd get her an ipad. You said it, the less tech savvy people who just want it to work want an ipad. And that's what I'd be buying all your misses. I'm sure they would love an android tablet, but in the back of their minds they'd be saying 'but it's not an ipad'. Of everything, apple have done one thing very very very well. Marketing.

Heck, my tablet is capable of phone calls and I've had a few wrong numbers ring it. First time I answered it I said you've got a wrong number, you've rung my tablet. They said my what? I said....... my ipad. Then they understood.

Jarro
7th December 2011, 08:45 AM
jarro, I have purchased a refurbed Apple iPod nano before. Zero problems with it.

Ok thanks.

I might go ahead and just get one retail now though i think

Sasquatch
7th December 2011, 09:45 AM
I bought an iPad2 retail for wifey's birthday. Had my daughter with me & they assumed it was for her & her education so gave me a discount on the device & protection plan/warranty but not the protective screen cover.

Marto65
7th December 2011, 09:57 AM
Just send the wife to a day spa ... and do it on a day you want to play golf.

LeftyHoges
7th December 2011, 10:54 AM
Just send the wife to a day spa ... and do it on a day you want to play golf.

Yep, good idea this one. Works a treat.

Works even better if the day spa is near a course you really want to play. 8)

Lagerlover
7th December 2011, 05:27 PM
penis enlargement???

either for you or your wife

rhino62
7th December 2011, 07:20 PM
3 weeks in Europe by herself over xmas = 3 week golf tour to USA by myself in Sep/Oct next year:)

AlexMc
7th December 2011, 10:05 PM
Kitchenaid Mixer...

Eldrick
7th December 2011, 10:09 PM
Kitchenaid Mixer...

My wife would probably like this more than a iPad.but the iPad is cheaper!

PeteyD
8th December 2011, 06:26 AM
New teatowels.

mudrat
8th December 2011, 07:36 AM
Nespresso machine