PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Little advice on Sydney golf required!

alcof89
2nd December 2011, 02:32 PM
Hi People :)

New here, from Ireland. For that reason, I don't know where is a good course to play, where is cheap to play, so I was wondering if some knowledgeable locals may be able to assist :)

Firstly, I will need a handicap - is there a way to get one here without being a member of a course?

Secondly, If I was to become a member somewhere (northshore area) where is a good course (not too expensive) worth taking a look at? Any rough prices would be greatly appreciated!

Lastly I would love a few open events to play on the weekends (the closer to northshore area the better). This would also let me see the different courses around the place.

Thanks in advance for any help offered :)
Alex

Dotty
2nd December 2011, 03:14 PM
About 5-10 years ago, there was a Gaelic or Celtic social golf club going around Sydney.

They didn't have a home course, but played at different courses on a Sunday morning.

I don't know how to contact them, but one of the local Irish cultural/sporting associations or drinking holes may know about them.

Captain Nemo
2nd December 2011, 03:29 PM
http://www.riversideoaks.com.au/details.php?p_id=24&listid=&slistid=5&menuid=list_id_5&submenuid=

Sydney Hacker
2nd December 2011, 03:29 PM
Where on the north shore are you and what do you consider cheapish?

irishamateur
2nd December 2011, 03:57 PM
I too am from Ireland and now live in Manly. Do you have a GUI handicap in Ireland??

The courses that I play are Mona Vale, Longreef, Wakehurst, Bayview and Warringah (not as good as others). They are all ~$45 per 18 holes.

alcof89
7th December 2011, 01:15 PM
Thank you for the help guys.

Where on the north shore are you and what do you consider cheapish?

Working in Brookvale, so close to there? will probably be moving dee why / south curl curl area. No idea or price, willing to pay for a decent course rather than a s*** hole!

@Irish Amateur - I HAD a gui handicap, and still have my GUI card, I think it will still work?

@titleist - that course is a little far unfortunately!

alcof89
7th December 2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks everybody, this is my second reply, the first seems to have disappeared :P.

I HAD a GUI handicap, but as my club membership expired, I am not sure if it still works? I still have the GUI card if that helps? I wouldd rather become a member of a club in the manly area irishamateur, do you know any prices etc on memberships? $45 for a few holes after work seems a bit steep for me!

to Sydney hack - I dont really have a price in mind, just want a decent course to go out on whenever I want, whilst not comparing a years membership to a car I could have otherwise owned.