PDA

View Full Version : Forum Downtime

AndyP
6th August 2005, 01:17 PM
We've had a problem with the forum database overnight that affected viewing posts.

It's back for now, although I'm not sure we are in the clear yet (I actually feared that all posts might have been lost).

There may be some more downtime, which could be because of my working on it or another error.

Jarro
6th August 2005, 01:20 PM
good to see you're on top of things P :roll:

what exactly is it that you are doing anyway :?:

AndyP
6th August 2005, 01:24 PM
Trying to fix the damn thing.

First I had to figure out what the problem was, or at least narrow it down. Then search the net for the answer, then make some changes and cross my fingers and hope it works

It appears OK for now, but the problem appears to have started at midnight last night. The same may occur tonight. I don't know. :smt102:

990B Luva
6th August 2005, 01:53 PM
Parse error: parse error in /var/www/html/forum/language/lang_english/lang_main.php on line 215

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/forum/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:215) in /var/www/html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 491

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/forum/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:215) in /var/www/html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 497

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/forum/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:215) in /var/www/html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 498

i had this come up at 2:52 pm today

AndyP
6th August 2005, 01:57 PM
Probably happened because I uploaded that file at the same time. Shouldn't be a problem.

I'm trying to do admin stuff, and restrict your downtime, at the same time. It's either get the occasional error like that or disable the forum from use completely while I do it.

markTHEblake
6th August 2005, 06:53 PM
disable it, then you wont get idiots messaging you on MSN about what the heck is going on.

AndyP
15th October 2005, 11:06 AM
A fair bit more downtime last night from 1am til now.
I tried fixing the problem but was having too much trouble with it, so resorted to restoring a backup this morning.

Fortunately, it appears that no posts were lost. :D

:?: Is anyone finding the site slower than usual recently?

markTHEblake
15th October 2005, 11:36 AM
not really

Jarro
16th October 2005, 12:15 AM
seems to be as quick as usual to me

Grunt
16th October 2005, 06:21 AM
Normal speed here for me, I must say it was a bit funny on Friday night, I thought it was my laptop though. I was having to triple click on some links to get them to work.

AndyP
6th November 2005, 11:28 AM
Welcome back to the forum guys, at one stage I feared the worst.

The problem was a corruption within the database, so we had to go into damage control and restore as much of the forum as possible.
Some data has been lost, however this was minimal, considering how bad it could have been.

We have lost somewhere between 7-9 posts. I took a quick note of some of the posts that were going to be lost and I'll send a PM to the relevant people to let them know, in case there were some important details in those posts.

In addition to that, we have lost several users. :( The best I could restore was the user records from October 14.
This also means that your signature, user details and probably avatars will be from that date.

Only one of the lost users had actually posted and that was Matt 3 Jab. I have created his user profile again, but all of his details, including his password, are going to be wrong.
If anyone knows Matt 3 Jab's email address, please forward it on to me, or get in touch with him.

I'm hopeful that everything is going to be fine now, but considering the nature of the problem there is no guarantee that it won't happen again.

Please let me know, if you notice something amiss.

Cheers
Andy

goughy
6th November 2005, 11:48 AM
I'd like to give a big thankyou to andp and also to clikchic who have sweated on this problem since it started. I have no idea what he did - just that once again complete disaster has been avoided =D>

Thanks P :smt023

raidrboy
6th November 2005, 12:21 PM
Many thanks guys for getting the site up and running again. :smt038

Fishman Dan
6th November 2005, 01:13 PM
Was the Pro Shop spared???

markTHEblake
6th November 2005, 01:18 PM
I just noticed that on friday arvo around 6ish after posting a message it threw up some sql errors. The post was still submitted and then about 10 mins later it went completely belly up.

so looks like corrupted database

Jarro
6th November 2005, 01:21 PM
thanks guys ..... now i can stop talking to the missus and get back to normal computer activities :roll:

Jarro
6th November 2005, 01:37 PM
We have lost somewhere between 7-9 posts.  

interesting, i seem to have lost over 500 posts :?

some of my best work, down the drain :roll: :lol:

Jono
6th November 2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks AP for solving the problem. :smt023

Is there any way of preventing something like this from happening again?

Fishman Dan
6th November 2005, 01:42 PM
We have lost somewhere between 7-9 posts.  

interesting, i seem to have lost over 500 posts  :?

some of my best work, down the drain  :roll:  :lol:

So we've only lost 3 days of posts then? Great news, well done AP and team! :smt023

jaster
6th November 2005, 02:27 PM
I appear to have lost quite a few posts and also my new signature :smt017 Atleast where back!!! 8)

AndyP
6th November 2005, 02:31 PM
I just noticed that on friday arvo around 6ish after posting a message it threw up some sql errors. The post was still submitted and then about 10 mins later it went completely belly up.

so looks like corrupted database
The SQL errors were the initial problem, but the site kept running. A backup is made every 10 posts automatically to the server, and the last backup was taken of the corrupt database. So we couldn't use the backup effectively to restore everything.

Is there any way of preventing something like this from happening again?
I think that it was something out of our control, and happened on the server side of things.
I'll probably try to download a backup from the server every week at least, so we don't have to rely on something from a month ago.
I've also been looking at optimizing the database recently, so that may help to avoid problems.

AndyP
6th November 2005, 02:34 PM
I appear to have lost quite a few posts and also my new signature :smt017 Atleast where back!!! 8)
I did mention that you would have reverted to signatures from Oct 14, but I wasn't aware that we had actually lost lots of posts. :?

drunken
6th November 2005, 02:37 PM
Jeez you go away camping for a couple of days & disaster strikes... :roll:

AndyP
6th November 2005, 02:55 PM
Ah shit, here we go again. I just came across the script error. ](*,)

drunken
6th November 2005, 02:56 PM
Cool so we can make lots of meaningless posts and they'll be lost soon (Jarro no more than usual please).

AndyP
6th November 2005, 03:11 PM
Safe.....for now. But I think I'm going to have to monitor it this arvo/evening.

AndyP
6th November 2005, 03:19 PM
interesting, i seem to have lost over 500 posts

I appear to have lost quite a few posts
Don't worry, lads, your fantastic posts are still there, it's just that the post count is out of sync with the number of posts.
What I'm more worried about is the fact that jarro has made 500 or so posts since October 14. :shock:

Jarro
6th November 2005, 03:56 PM
i knew you were worth the big money we pay you P :wink:

Pinglauncher
6th November 2005, 04:03 PM
AP

I just got an email from a new memebr who now can't get in

"hi, my name is matt, or on ozgolf im matt 3 jab, i know the forum went down, but now i cant log in, and i cant get the password to my email, im sure i have it right but it wont work, do u know or are you a moderator that can solve my problem, thanks heaps "

Maybe you can help him ??

Flowergirl
6th November 2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks AndyP and clickchic.............I was devasted when I couldn'r get on yesterday and this morning. I missed you all :wink:

AndyP
6th November 2005, 04:19 PM
AP

I just got an email from a new memebr who now can't get in

"hi, my name is matt, or on ozgolf im matt 3 jab, i know the forum went down, but now i cant log in, and i cant get the password to my email, im sure i have it right but it wont work, do u know or are you a moderator that can solve my problem, thanks heaps "

Maybe you can help him ??

Only one of the lost users had actually posted and that was Matt 3 Jab. I have created his user profile again, but all of his details, including his password, are going to be wrong.
If anyone knows Matt 3 Jab's email address, please forward it on to me, or get in touch with him.

Ping, I'm glad he got in contact with someone. I knew of the situation, but there was naught I could do about it.
Could you please PM his email address to me, so I can get things sorted with him.

AndyP
8th November 2005, 09:24 AM
We have had a shortage of disk space, which is causing the problems we are having with the forum.

To make some room temporarily, so the forum can keep operating, I have removed the search function. You can still try to use it, but it won't be able to search on any posts from the past.
The search function will be setup again, when the issues have been sorted with the server host.

AndyP
10th November 2005, 10:27 PM
interesting, i seem to have lost over 500 posts

I appear to have lost quite a few posts
Don't worry, lads, your fantastic posts are still there, it's just that the post count is out of sync with the number of posts.
What I'm more worried about is the fact that jarro has made 500 or so posts since October 14. :shock:
Post counts for all members has now been fixed.

AndyP
18th November 2005, 03:17 PM
To make some room temporarily, so the forum can keep operating, I have removed the search function.  You can still try to use it, but it won't be able to search on any posts from the past.
The search function will be setup again, when the issues have been sorted with the server host.
The search function has been fully restored.